• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 owners who upgraded to PS4 Pro, was it worth it?

Lady Gaia

How much value you put on the benefits is going to vary wildly from one person to the next. For me? Considering I wanted a second PS4 already it was a pretty easy decision and a small premium. I appreciate the smoother imagery and have found it to be fascinating from a purely technical perspective, but far from essential. The one title where I’d argue it made a dramatic difference is The Last Guardian.

So, is the premium worthwhile for someone who doesn’t own a PS4 or is looking for a second console? Possibly, more so if they have a 4K display. For someone looking to trade in or gift their PS4? Unlikely to feel worthwhile unless price is really not an issue. For someone expecting a dramatic difference? Definitely not.

SkylineRKR

Worth it for the following:

- Incredible downsampling on 1080p. CGi quality IQ in 4k games like Ratchet.
- Mind blowing details in 4k versions of games like Horizon and Deus Ex.
- Fantastic 60 fps options in games like Tomb Raider and a 20 fps boost in BF1 and Titanfall.
- Super crisp and clear image quality in even 1440p titles like BF1 and Uncharted. No jaggies and no shimmering.
- 1GB of HDD space.
- 1080p 60 fps capture.
- 4k screenshot capture.
- Faster loading.
- 5Ghz Wifi

And I got all that for just $220 after i sold my PS4 to my brother for $180 since thats what Walmart was offering me for a trade in.

Definitely worth it.

HDR is the only thing that i am not too sure about. i cant tell the difference when i turn it on and off.

I never cared much for Deux Ex's graphics on the old Ps4, but on Pro I was absolutely amazed. This might be the game that profits most from the 4K HDR jump. Game looks stunning.

I did stay away from 60fps in Rise of the Tomb Raider though. Game loses a ridiculous amount of detail and effects. It honestly looks like shit in high framerate mode.

AwRy108

As someone with a 1080p TV and lots of disposable income, the half-step upgrade has been worth it for me: I spend a large portion of my gaming time on the PS4 platform, so even the incremental performance boosts are appreciated. That said, the only friends I've recommended the Pro to are those who don't already have a base PS4.

I'd actually consider getting the XBone X, too, if: 1) the price was at least $100 less; and 2) there was more XBone-only software to be excited about. As of now, I'm so overly invested in the PlaySation ecosystem that Microsoft needs to make a much more substantial case for me to use their platform more.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Slightly less aliasing in some games and slightly better performance in some games but that's it oh and you have a 1tb drive, which is nice. If you don't care for slightly better don't waste yer cash.

Yeah, I'm happy with mine. It adds bells and whistles on top of the PS4 experience that I already liked; I feel like I've gotten more or less what I signed up for and it's proved value for money for the price.

That said, I do think there are things that could be improved, like the whole supersampling thing. PSVR is so much better with it, too, it has to be said.

Completely worth the price of admission.

I paid roughly £135 on top of my launch console for a brand new PS4 Pro and Dishonoured 2. I use the Pro almost every day.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
HDR is the only thing that i am not too sure about. i cant tell the difference when i turn it on and off.

For me, it's all about HDR way more than resolution. Side note, as I found out a few months ago, do NOT turn on/off HDR. Leave it all set to automatic on the console and on your 4K HDR TV. "Forcing HDR on" isn't good especially for the TV. Once you leave it automatic, if a game truly supports it as does your TV and you're using the correct HDMI cable and "in port" on your TV, it will be adjusted accordingly and in time, you'll easily notice the difference. Having HDR now, there's no way I can go back to non-HDR displays as it simply makes everything look even more realistic and accurate.

Dynomutt

Worth it for the following:

- Incredible downsampling on 1080p. CGi quality IQ in 4k games like Ratchet.
- Mind blowing details in 4k versions of games like Horizon and Deus Ex.
- Fantastic 60 fps options in games like Tomb Raider and a 20 fps boost in BF1 and Titanfall.
- Super crisp and clear image quality in even 1440p titles like BF1 and Uncharted. No jaggies and no shimmering.
- 1GB of HDD space.
- 1080p 60 fps capture.
- 4k screenshot capture.
- Faster loading.
- 5Ghz Wifi

And I got all that for just $220 after i sold my PS4 to my brother for $180 since thats what Walmart was offering me for a trade in.

Definitely worth it.

Agree with everything said! Sony must be using some next gen compression tech with only needing 1GB of HDD space lol...j/k!

Definitely

Playing through Watch Dogs 2 and Horizon I basically got the same quality IQ I get playing on my PC. HDR has been hit and miss but on a whole I feel like the vast majority of games I played looked beautiful. The Last Guardian in 4k was stunning

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with it

Micerider

Yes, nothing revolutionnary but clearly worth it with a highend 4k TV.

It really feels like putting a new GPU in your PC and loading the same games as before but cranking resolution way up. It doesn't make the games better but sure as hell make them more pleasant to watch. Horizon was a revelation for me (played both on my FHD TV and my 4k HDR one)

PSVR is also much clearer with it.

For regular 1080p TVs, I wouldnt recommend as a replacement of older PS4 though, not too many games greatly benefiting from it in Full HD.

Rell

I have a 1080p television and never owned a standard PS4...but the Pro Boost Mode made a considerable difference in frame rate stability in non-Pro enabled games.

Smax

I had a 500gb PS4.

a) The hdd was always full and I was constantly deleting stuff. I contemplated changing the drive, but the cost was relatively high.

b) With the amount of use I get from it, it was bound to need replacing before long. Both PS2 and PS3 died on me mid-generation and I had to replace them.

I sold it for €200 and got the Pro for €390. The €190 difference included double the drive capacity and replacing heavily used hardware with a brand new one. The added horsepower is a nice bonus.

Definitely worth it.

True Fire

Boost Mode is a godsend for (most) old games. Games that struggled to hit 30fps now have consistent framerates, which can be a gamesaver.

Kinda sorta. It worked out for me because I was able to trade-in my OG PS4 and Wii U for a Switch bundle in addition, which I hadn't planned on doing. Otherwise the improvements are largely minuscule in most games and hasn't been worth the added cost. But I've written it off as a zero sum move at the least.

Spasm

My launch 500GB is getting a bit long in the tooth and I finally got a 4K TV, so I might have to grab one with U:TLL coming out tomorrow. I'm guessing it is enhanced?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I never cared much for Deux Ex's graphics on the old Ps4, but on Pro I was absolutely amazed. This might be the game that profits most from the 4K HDR jump. Game looks stunning.

I did stay away from 60fps in Rise of the Tomb Raider though. Game loses a ridiculous amount of detail and effects. It honestly looks like shit in high framerate mode.

Yeah, but I only switched to 60 fps during combat heavy sections. I had played it on my X1 back at launch and the input lag mixed with awful framerate had pretty much ruined the gameplay. Since i knew when to expect the combat sections, i'd switch to 60 fps and get one headshot after another.

Made me appreciate the gameplay a lot more.

Boost Mode is a godsend for (most) old games. Games that struggled to hit 30fps now have consistent framerates, which can be a gamesaver.

Forgot about Boost mode. AC Unity runs at a silky smooth 30 fps. I noticed one drop last weekend after like 30 hours of playtime. pretty crazy considering how bad it performed at launch and how many people they have on screen at once.

Pbae

It was totally worth it for the PSVR upgrade.

In terms of non VR games, it didn't hit me until I saw the difference in Horizon, as well as Ghost Recon Wildlands.

The way they priced it definitely helped too.

Traded in my unused Xbox One and redundant PS4 so it cost me £0.00.

So that's a big yes.

As a heavy PSVR user, I simply wouldn't want to be without it.

Rellik

I had no choice to upgrade because my launch PS4 was a POS and died. Now after 6 months of owning a Pro I'm starting to have HDMI issues.

It's a shame because my PS1 and PS2 still worked up until this year when I threw them away. My PS3 is plugged in and still working. They just don't make them like they used to.

Tutomos

I have an 1080p tv and can't really imagine going back to the base PS4. I think some would regret buying a Pro but few would actually go back once they've used the Pro for a while.

KageMaru

It was worth it on my 1080p monitor and even more so now that I have a 4K TV. Not sure it's worth upgrading for most 1080p owners though. PSVR will get a nice boost from it at least.

Pejo

Yes, and I mostly did it for VR. I wish they'd get something officially to fix the HDR thing with PSVR hooked up though.

Quick

Banned
Worth it? Maybe. I took advantage of a trade-in promo with my OG PS4 and paid a bit to upgrade to the Pro.

I wasn't going to buy it when it was announced, but the deal was too good to pass up when the time came.

I'm only on a 1080p HDTV for now, so I can't fully see what it has to offer, but messing around with graphics settings in some games has been cool.

It certainly has for me. New stuff like Horizon and Watchdogs 2 looked gorgeous in faux-k and even something old like Kingdom Hearts 1.5, looks and plays fantastically.

Seeing as I don't have nearly enough to get the gaming pc of my dreams, the pro does nicely until the PS5 comes around.

jamsy

As a 1080p owner, I guess it was, but I got it at a really good price.

Being able to play Hellblade at 60fps for example is a treat. Plus the extra hard drive space is nice.

I got mine as a gift AFTER buying a high-end 4K tv. It's a nice bump from OG PS4 as far as I'm concerned. HDR and 4K(-ish) is quite alright.

Foxxsoxx

4K is nice but definitely not a game changer, and it's a shame most games don't even run near 4k.

Not exactly worth it unless you have the cash to blow. I do like how quiet mine is though, my OG PS4 was loud as fuck.

Bungie

IMO it depends on what console you have more games on. The amount of games taking advantage of the Xbox One X is impressive. Personally the pro wasn't worth it for me.

Yes. It is a better version of the platform I use the most and I have the peripherals to take advantage of all of its features.

I honestly hope this 'trend' for how gaming consoles release continues. A mid-gen refresh is great to me.

For my PSVR god yes, for everything else? Fuck no.

I only recommend them to people who have VR as the difference is night and day, for 2d games the difference between day and.. a slightly less cloudy day.

Griss

It was absolutely worth it, but the biggest reason I say that is that I went from something that was a jet engine screaming in my living room to something I can't hear once the game starts. That was a big deal.

As for the rest, some games like The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Just Cause 3 and others have totally justified it by making performance acceptable where it wasn't previously.

The last thing I really love is being able to record video in 1080p. Makes a huge difference for my saved clips of Pro Evo or Golf, where the ball is small and looks like shit at 720p.

Absolutely worth the extra 180 euros I paid for the upgrade.

EDIT: How did I forget Horizon in 4k, fuck's sake that was incredible.

Personally hard to say because I got my 4K tv first, then the pro like a day later. I only tested with Ratchet & Clank, and after finally getting the settings right, I was blown away.

Was never able to check any other base game vs standard game using my new TV.

I don't regret it, since I got 200 for the base, only paid 200 for the Pro, I'd say COMPLETELY worth it at 200.

Yep. Though i wish there was more support for downsampling.
I play on a HD projector on a huge ass screen. Downsampling makes it really clean.
I think the PS4 is a great 1080P machine (if devs support downsampling).

So yes. On that size the difference is very noticeable.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Without question and I've been utilizing 1080p.

Grabbing a 4k set this fall after a basement remodel and I can't wait to replay Horizon and a few other titles and really see how this baby shines.

maks

I need a side-by-side and i have to be looking for things to notice the difference lol.

Got a samsung 4k hdr properly setup and directly connected to the ps4 pro. When im gaming im just not focused on the details. This is what ive always expected though.

Top Bottom