• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 owners who upgraded to PS4 Pro, was it worth it?

MANGOD

Banned
Gonna have to say no. Only really been a few games that have wowed me but I hardly play my pro just now. Maybe the new god of war and spiderman game will sway me abit more.
TLOU 2 is really the game I wanna be playing the most though and ps5 might even be a thing by the time that comes out

Bought it to get the best versions of Sony exclusives, since I play all of my multiplatform games on my more powerful PC. So for me it's delivered. Can't wait to play Lost Legacy on it!

Worth it for The Last Guardian alone.

True, lol.

But yeah, it was worth it to me.
60fps The Surge, Battlefield 1 with way better image quality and framerate, downsampling for some games, boost mode giving better framerate or reducing screen tearing (Yakuza Zero, Earth Defense Force 4.1). Sure, I wish more developers would take advantage, but there is already a good load of games with nice Pro Enhancements.

I don't know, Horizon and Wipeout look insane but those are about the only games that have impressed me. The fact that the base model does HDR makes the $100 upgrade less worthwhile.

RustCohle

Neo Member
I could've lived without it if I never got it, but seeing the performance and graphical upgrades, and Boost Mode, means I could never go back, even with only a 1080p.

mug

I owned a launch PS4 and eventually got a 4K tv. Although I'm without HDR, the 4K update and framerate improvements are a welcome change.

Honestly, I don't know. There's definitely a piece of mind knowing that the game I'm playing is running at the best it possibly could (on PS4), but other than that there's a whole lot of diminishing returns. Even flipping between 4K and 1080p modes I barely notice the difference unless I'm right up on my TV. HDR has probably been the biggest improvement but it's one of those where you don't notice the improvement until you see the same thing without HDR.

I don't have a 4K TV. After having sold the original PS4, sure, it was worth it.

Why? A, it was very reasonably priced. B, several game experiences have noticeable improved; for example Watch Dogs looks much nicer with the improved AA; same with Horizon. C, at least one experience went up a full letter grade: The Last Guardian; it's a framey mess on the original box but rock-solid on Pro.

PS4 Pro is a solid purchase. I don't think it was necessary as a product at all, but once they did produce it, it was worth purchasing. It keeps up with my PC. At half the frame rate and a few settings turned down a bit, but it keeps up. Whereas the OG PS4 is lagging behind.

ApharmdX

Banned
No, it wasn't worth it for me. But I have an HTPC hooked up to my 4K TV as well as the PS4 Pro. So I play multiplats in "real" 4K60/30 or 1080p@120Hz.

I'm disappointed with the lack of standardization on the Pro. Not all games at the same res, not all games support downsampling, etc. It's particularly frustrating dealing with the 1440p games that have a little extra detail but then are soft because they are scaled up to 4K.

On the other hand, Horizon is gorgeous in 4K HDR, and the Pro is quieter than the base PS4, though louder than the XB1S.

hylje

Took advantage of the trade-in deal which gave me 200e from my 2yo launch PS4. So yeah it was worth it back then and probably would still do it (just for the warranties).

Was early in the ROTT and the difference with Pro patch was really, really noticeable on my 1080p telly.

Mathrin

For me - without a doubt. My PS4 sounded like a jet engine anything I tired to do anything more than the XMB. Can't say I've ever really heard the console really spin up now. 4K is awesome, HDR is beautiful - well worth the upgrade. Similarly I have a mate who upgraded with a 1080p screen and said it was easily worth it too.

I have a 4K HDR set but no PSVR and I've loved the upgrade. Sony's first party titles look incredible on it and the gameplay footage I'm seeing on YouTube for upcoming games like AC Origins, Spiderman, etc all looks amazing in 4K.

I'm really happy with my purchase but not sure I'd be as happy without the 4K TV.

I have no regrets. I wanted another PS4 and was getting a 4Ktv so picking a Pro instead of the regular version for about $100 more was a no brainer.

Games look better even if it's not true 4K, most of them play better, and I can still play PS4 in another room if the wife is watching something on the main tv. Though it is a noticeable downgrade after playing on Pro.

alexbull_uk

Absolutely. There are tons of great PS exclusive games and I want to play them in the best quality possible. Plus after selling my original console on, it probably only cost about £100 to upgrade anyway, so hardly breaking the bank.

Marmelade

Worth upgrading if I have a launch day PS4 and play on a a 1440P monitor?

Games will be downsampled to 1080p (for those that support it) and then upscaled to 1440p by your monitor.
I sometimes play on my 1440p monitor with my Pro and it's far from ideal.
I'd have loved 1440p output support.

jrcbandit

Not really other than the hard drive upgrade which can be done on the base model. I got a noisy PS4 Pro so it wasn't even quieter than my original. I even have a 4k TV with mediocre HDR and haven't been that impressed but I guess I've been spoiled playing 4k PC games. Maybe it would make more of an impression if I had good HDR, but that requires very specific TVs like LG OLED, Sony OLED, or Samsung 8000 or 9000 series (OLED with infinite contrast, or TVs with very high peak brightness like the qdot samsung 8000+ series).

coiler

Wanted the Pro for a while now but held off simply because I wanted a Pro in white. Sony heard my prayers...

Pre-ordered and incoming!

I got bend over by trading in my awesome Destiny edition just to see the white one pop up two weeks later.

OMG hell yes

Couldn't really justify my 4K TV without it

Playing Horizon is a revelation, along with Last of Us, Skyrim, and tons of others

Formosa

Wanted the Pro for a while now but held off simply because I wanted a Pro in white. Sony heard my prayers...

Pre-ordered and incoming!

The white one is Sexy af. I would get one instead of the black one but all my other hardwares are all in black.... :/

to OP: Yes the PRO is worth it, but I have a 55" 4K HDR TV. It looks a lot better and crispier than my old set up which was PS4 and a 50" 1080P TV.

If you don't have 4K, then you are pretty much behind the new graphic gen for consoles.

SkylineRKR

Yeah it was worth it but Pro could've been supported better. I started out on a 1080p and the lack of downsampled games is disappointing. I do think games like Horizon, Tekken 7, Titanfall 2 and Dark Souls 3 play much better on Pro than they do on regular Ps4.

I was planning on replacing my TV this year anyway, it was only 42 inch and had bezels, I felt it was too small for my living room for some time. So I bought a 55 KS9000 and even managed to get a good buck for my Plasma.

For such a TV the Pro is a no brainer. And the PS4 trade in deal was good (150 for a 500gb model). Plus I got Horizon for free, which I sold as I owned it already.

Definitely worth it for me and I don't even have a UHD TV yet. I have a 2TB in my system, a PSVR which benefits from it, get use out of the 5GHz wifi (also on Slim), use the 1080p60 streaming with Twitch and remote play, and own several games with good Pro support.

That said, it's not worth it for everyone. If you are someone that isn't going to use PSVR (though you seem to be), has a slim already (negating the better network hardware), and doesn't care about enhanced graphics or 4K TV stuff, then you're better off waiting for actual next-gen before making a jump.

I've had a PS4 Pro since the beginning. Not sure I feel that it's been worth it for me. The visual upgrades have felt modest at best, and sometimes came too late. I don't really use any of the PS4 Pro's expanded featureset except for enhanced remote play, and that expanded featureset was never much bigger than the OG's to begin with.

Minions

I was going to upgrade to either the slim or the Pro.... traded in the og for $200~ toward the slim so no regrets at all. Either way I think it was a worthwhile purchase.

It was worth it. But only JUST. luckily i didnt pay much, the store had a special deal. so i gained 500gb and a pro.

I hope more games support that new AMD tech for it. Just feel like the original ps4 is holding it back. (but they have to really, its not fair to original ps4 owners)

Its worth it imo.

even with games that barely raise the res, thats still a higher res than it woulda been. :)

Arkeband

Banned
I managed to sell my OG for 220 on Craigslist and got the Pro for 330 or something with the Target Wishlist app and credit card so it was a pretty cheap upgrade and things run and look marginally better, 500GB of extra hard drive space and slightly better internet connectivity.

Don't have a 4K TV otherwise it'd have another dimension of usefulness.

I have a 48" 1080p TV and it was 100% worth it. Now, I only upgraded because the disc drive in my launch PS4 was dying. Boost Mode has made older games nicer, games with upgraded that downsample look fantastic, and the quality of life bonuses like 1080p recording, 4K screenshots, and 1080p60fps streaming are really nice.

It's was worth it to me because the upgrade was only $100. Since it was so cheap, why not? Also considering that my OG PS4 was a jet engin, it felt like a no brainer. But I can't say for certain that it has changed the way I game. I still have a 1080p tv so right now, better performance in some games is all I'm really feeling but I did buy it full well knowing that I will have a new 4k tv soon where it will be able to shine so I don't regret it. I imagine a lot of people upgrading are thinking the same way.

I upgraded to a Pro on a 1080 TV and am quite happy with it. It's just snappier. Menus feel like they were designed more with the pro in mind. Also framerate boosts in games is nice. So yeah, I'm happy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Worth it for the following:

- Incredible downsampling on 1080p. CGi quality IQ in 4k games like Ratchet.
- Mind blowing details in 4k versions of games like Horizon and Deus Ex.
- Fantastic 60 fps options in games like Tomb Raider and a 20 fps boost in BF1 and Titanfall.
- Super crisp and clear image quality in even 1440p titles like BF1 and Uncharted. No jaggies and no shimmering.
- 1GB of HDD space.
- 1080p 60 fps capture.
- 4k screenshot capture.
- Faster loading.
- 5Ghz Wifi

And I got all that for just $220 after i sold my PS4 to my brother for $180 since thats what Walmart was offering me for a trade in.

Definitely worth it.

HDR is the only thing that i am not too sure about. i cant tell the difference when i turn it on and off.

Cyborg

Hell yeah, if you have the money its a no brainer.
Every games looks and runs better on it and the price difference with the OG PS4 is not thath big.

Im very pleased with the Pro. Amazing quality/price ratio

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yes especially since I purchased a 43" Sony X800D 4K HDR TV last September. ALl the games even older ones look great. My only disappointment is with developers/publishers NOT giving you options in regards to choosing resolution or frame rate. I know ROTTR, Nioh and Hellblade gives you options but the majority of games haven't so that's really my only disappointment.

I own an Xbox One Slim that supports 4K and HDR and since PS4 Pro is my primary console, im not wasting my money on an Xbox One X especially when I do believe that multi-platform games will virtually be identical between Pro and X. The first party titles will be the main difference just like on Pro.

So yeah, overall, easily worth it as long as you have a good or better 4K HDR TV. If not, then probably not unless you own PSVR or will be buying a 4K HDR TV soon afterwards.

Mathrin

One thing I should add - Horizon in 4k HDR is near worth the price of admission for me alone. Tomb Raider in 4K or 60FPS, boost mode, FFXV HDR - it's a really nice thing to have.

But.... expensive for "nice" unless your ps4 is on the way out I guess? And theres the 4K TV requirement for UHD.

aett

As someone without a 4K TV, it was worth it, but it hasn't been mind-blowing. I enjoy the more consistent frame rates and the extra hard drive, and it really is much quieter than my original system. We used the Target red card and holiday promo to get a nice discount off the top and then sold my original system to Amazon for a good price, so the upgrade wasn't painful at all.

Fliesen

Probably worth it if you're committed to the PS4 ecosystem and you own a 4k TV.

Had the Switch come out earlier, i might have not opted for the Pro, as it has dramatically reduced my commitment to the PS4 platform, with regards to how much time i spend playing that console.

I think coming out after the Switch is - as dumb as it sounds - going to hurt the One X a lot. Like sure, they're not targeting the same 'use cases', but among even the most devoted Xbox owners, i would assume there's a high share of people who can't / don't want to afford every piece of hardware that comes out, and right now, getting a switch 'on the side' is a much better value as doubling down on the Xbox platform.

I'd say go for the upgrade on the platform you care the most about. If you're already playing most of your games on PS4 it seems likely you'd get more value out of the Pro. Especially if you plan on playing more PSVR games.

Scrawnton

Had a 4k tv for over a year and got the pro at launch. Played Horizon, ff15, CoD iw and 4, nier, tomb raider, and skyrim with pro enhancements. I noticed a difference but it was probably placebo. Bought a Switch and went back and forth between it and PS4 Pro and then that's when I regretted the purchase. I just didn't see a big jump in image quality between things like Mario Kart 8 and Horizon in checkerboard mode and I'm someone who can easily spot 4k videos vs non 4k.

Now I have a gaming PC and I can definitely see how it wasn't really worth the upgrade from PS4 to PS4 pro.

Top Bottom