• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2011)

Ashes

Banned
J. Patterson's Run for you life.
Steig Larsson's mellenium triology.

Short stories on my list:

several stories from: Treasury of great short stories
plus
Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol's THE NOSE. (availible online as are most of the following)
Nathaniel Hawthorne's My Kinsman, Major Molineux.
Edgar Allen Poe's The pit and the Pendullum
Anton Checkov's stories - Been reading and loving quite a few of this. Misery is a tour de force. I have read this several times, and have just found Kenneth Brannagh's audio rendition on youtube. Throughly reccomend this, even if you have read it before.

And a poetry collection entitled:
Nations favourite poems, bbc books,

I think my main aim is to like audio stories more. I didn't realise my listening skills were so average to bad at best.

aparisi2274

The-Emperor-Tomb-B003F3PLYO-L.jpg

Olorin

liveshiptraders.jpg

Reading the Liveship Traders trilogy for the third time. I'm over halfway through the first book and loving it all over again. Captain Kennit has to be one of the greatest characters ever.

Dresden

Started reading this again, hadn't for a few years:

tacitus.jpg

Finishing Claudius the God got me in the mood for Roman history, and Tacitus picks up right after Nero dies. Good read so far.

Olorin said:
liveshiptraders.jpg

Reading the Liveship Traders trilogy for the third time. I'm over halfway through the first book and loving it all over again. Captain Kennit has to be one of the greatest characters ever.

Love the covers! How does this triology compare to her Assassin's Apprentice one, if you've read it? I loved Assassin's Apprentice, but thought it got a little too weird in the third book.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished.

n4253.jpg

So in <3 with this series. The characterization was so damn good. And the amount of tension within some of the earlier chapters was insane.:lol

Now reading.

n9644.jpg

30-pages in so far!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
u964j.jpg

First novel of 2011. Not very far yet, but I'm enjoying it just as I have Steve Martin's other works. His prose is fantastic. Considering he hasn't had a good film role in ages, I'd rather he just focused solely on writing.

coldvein

Banned
i plan on picking up the bookclub book (real paper version) within the next week or so. hopefully be able to finish it this month.

Olorin

nakedsushi said:
Love the covers! How does this triology compare to her Assassin's Apprentice one, if you've read it? I loved Assassin's Apprentice, but thought it got a little too weird in the third book.

I really love both trilogies. A big difference is that the Farseer Trilogy (Assassins) is all first-person (Fitz), while the Liveship Traders Trilogy switches back and forth between several differerent characters. It's set in the same world, but in a slightly more advanced part of that world. There is some 'weirdness' if you want to call it that, with living ships made from wizardwood and intelligent sea serpents, but the characters are all believable and well written. I would certainly recommend reading it.

And John Howe's covers are indeed awesome :)

KuroNeeko

Olorin said:
liveshiptraders.jpg

Aw, so jealous. Trying to find this on Amazon.co.jp for a decent price is a pain in the butt. Really enjoyed her Assassin series.

Is knowledge of the Liveship Traders trilogy necessary for the Fool trilogy? I haven't started either but am holding off on the latter until I get my hands on LSTraders...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Mr. Miyato said:
Just starting:

9781921520433-crop-325x325.jpg

I am also currently reading this. I'm halfway through it now. Anyone who was a fan of Shadow of The Wind (I loved it) should like this too. It's good so far.

Salazar

Work reading:

E.P. Thompson's Customs in Common.
Paul Fussell's The Rhetorical World of Augustan Humanism.

Pleasure reading:

Redmond O'Hanlon's Trawler - greatest fucking travel book ever written. It's on Kindle, motherfuckers. You have no excuse. I'll fucking buy it for you.

Olorin

KuroNeeko said:
Is knowledge of the Liveship Traders trilogy necessary for the Fool trilogy? I haven't started either but am holding off on the latter until I get my hands on LSTraders...

Not necessary, but there are references to the Liveship Traders trilogy in the Tawny Man (Fool) trilogy that would kind of spoil the ending. It's best to read them in the correct order if you plan to read them all.

Bii

Finished reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith last night. It was an entertaining read up until the last 1/5ths of the book where the events leading up to the finale was just too ridiculous. Besides that, it was a fun read.

I was surprised I read it so fast. o_O

I think I'll start up Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen since it was free on Kindle and I've never read it nor have I seen the movie.

I love Pride and Prejudice. I hadn't read it until a few years ago and expected it to be boring. I was completely, entirely wrong. Awesome book, very funny in places.

segue: I think trying to read a lot of that stuff in high school just ruins us. :(

hey_monkey said:
I love Pride and Prejudice. I hadn't read it until a few years ago and expected it to be boring. I was completely, entirely wrong. Awesome book, very funny in places.

segue: I think trying to read a lot of that stuff in high school just ruins us. :(

I agree with the bolded part completely. A lot of the books I was forced to read during highschool were completely lost on me at that age. Now when I go back and read certain books, I actually enjoy them.

But not Pride and Prejudice. I read it for the first time recently and thought it was so dull without any likable characters at all.

charsace

Lafiel said:
Finished.

n4253.jpg

So in <3 with this series. The characterization was so damn good. And the amount of tension within some of the earlier chapters was insane.:lol
Is there a movie based on this or a movie poster that copies it?

Ashes

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I agree with the bolded part completely. A lot of the books I was forced to read during highschool were completely lost on me at that age. Now when I go back and read certain books, I actually enjoy them.

But not Pride and Prejudice. I read it for the first time recently and thought it was so dull without any likable characters at all.

Try it again another time. First time I read it I felt something similar. It's a decent pick me up.

coldvein

Banned
Bii said:
Finished reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith last night. It was an entertaining read up until the last 1/5ths of the book where the events leading up to the finale was just too ridiculous. Besides that, it was a fun read.

first finisher? congrats. get this man a prize.

Fritz

charsace said:
That's it! Which one of these came first though?

the book's cover designer got some inspiration from the movie poster. I don't think they actually are based on one another.

Aww I was just coming to post that. You stole my thunder. :(

:lol

Is it a stand alone book or part of a series? Do you need to have read the First Law trilogy?

So a book suggestion is needed

My little brother is 12, and reads at an 8th grade reading level. He has to read any historical fiction novel that he wants. His teacher's definition of historical fiction is super loose, and can include pretty much anything that actually happened, even if it's super exaggerated.

He thinks war books are boring, and history is boring. He doesn't want to read books about presidents or funny anecdotes.

He loves the Cold War, though.

He wants to read a spy novel from the cold war. He basically said "like James Bond or Team Fortress 2, except as a book, and for little kids." The former made me chuckle a little (since Bond is based on a book), but that's basically what he wants to read.

A very cliche 50s-70s spy novel is essentially the idea here, but it should be an 8th grade reading level, so James Bond is out of the question.

Any suggestions? I should also say he doesn't like books explicitly aimed at children. The last few reports he did were on 101 Arabian Nights, the Walking Dead and a Jerry Seinfeld Biography, so you can see he doesn't settle for books really geared for him. He says they insult his intelligence or something.

Maklershed said:
Aww I was just coming to post that. You stole my thunder. :(

:lol

Is it a stand alone book or part of a series? Do you need to have read the First Law trilogy?

Oops, sorry I beat you to the punch. Are you also subscribed to Orbit's newsletter?

According to this page:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/43644-the-first-law

It's part of the series, but not part of the trilogy. Can someone who's read all of them answer this? Does it just take place in the world of the series, but we can read it at any time, or will it be full of spoilers?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
nakedsushi said:
Oops, sorry I beat you to the punch. Are you also subscribed to Orbit's newsletter?

According to this page:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/43644-the-first-law

It's part of the series, but not part of the trilogy. Can someone who's read all of them answer this? Does it just take place in the world of the series, but we can read it at any time, or will it be full of spoilers?

It's a sequel in that it follows a side character, you'll see a few other side characters and it occurs after the First Law books in the time line, but it's pretty spoiler free over all.

I'd say you can read it on its own just fine, but you'll miss little things you'd have understood if you had read the other books first.

suzu

I suggest reading the First Law trilogy first. They make mentions to what happened to the characters from the trilogy. If you ever plan on reading the first books they will definitely be spoilers!

gf gave me this for christmas

tumblr_lc67qyhDUG1qel2xno1_400.jpg

:D i've read book 1 before but a few pages into book 2 realised i was going to have to go back and re-read the first one, about halfway through that now.

@suzu and @verdre - thanks for the info

nakedsushi said:
No, I got the news from ereaderiq. Apparently Orbits is quicker.

valeo

'Indignation' by Phillip Roth.
indignation.jpg

Got it for Christmas and had no clue what it was about - is actually quite good. Bit different to what I normally read.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Started reading 'Stealing Light' after I realized I have read through every fantasy book out there I think I've been interested in. Damn you library :(.

Suairyu

Banned
Just finished...
8vqama.jpg

On Bullfighting, A.L. Kennedy
Kennedy is a rather celebrated fiction novelist, yet before writing this book she suffered a mental breakdown, lost her will to write and her depression got incredibly bad. How bad? So bad that this new book, her first stab at non-fiction, opens with her account of the day she attempted suicide. Trying to find new meaning in her life, some artistic goal, she sets out for Spain to learn of the corrida, the Spanish tradition of bullfighting. She is an outsider with preconceived notions (bullfighting is immoral), wishing to learn 'why'.

On the one hand, what follows is a factual and surprisingly engaging exploration of the history of the corrida, famous matadors (bullfighters) and even famous toros (bulls). The very history of Spain herself is explored, running paralell to the history of the corrida. On the other hand, it is a painfully personal meditation on the linked nature of art and death. She visits the home of an artist executed during the civil war; she juxtaposes a matador preparing to enter the ring against her memory of the day her grandfather told her he intended to die. Beauty and grotesqueness, creativity and destruction, being alive and dying are all entwined in her insightful prose.

The perfect example of high-grade creative non-fiction, it would make great fiction. The knowledge that all events are factual sends shivers down the spine, enhancing the work rather than justifying it.

This was actually my recovery book. I've been going through some mental bothers myself over the last couple of years and one side effect has been an inability to focus on books and read for any amount of time. Somehow, this book has pulled me back from the brink and I find myself able to enjoy reading again.

Just started...
i6cj2r.jpg

Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
One of Britain's most celebrated authors. Previously only being familiar with his excellent short story collection/cycle, Nocturnes, I requested for Christmas his entire bibliography. This is the book I chose to start with.

I can't actually say much about it, as there is a twist revealed on the very first page that would be a crime to reveal. The twist doesn't actually sink in or become realised by the reader until about three chapters in, but it is of such importance, twisting the perception of the however many pages it took you to realise what you have been reading that I dare not speak a word of it. For myself, I realised fairly early on. I imagine some took longer, some shorter.

However, what I can say is this: the core of the book is not that one, simple twist; it is a powerful exploration of youth as the novel's narrator and her two friends reminisce on their time in an English countryside boarding school.

I am fast realising why I am so drawn to Ishiguro's work. For one, he has impeccable control of prosaic rhythm, an element of prose writing that most authors never master or even realise is an element to be mastered. I recommend all read Nocturnes, his short story collection/cycle focussed on the subject of music and endings. The rhythms of music are evoked in his writing in a way I have often attempted in my own. In Never Let Me Go, the rhythm is less explicit, creating a warm, droning pace that brings to the mind the feel of long, hot summer days. Alphabetic metre influencing image. Real deep-level theory stuff, that, but the effects are so remarkable.

Secondly, his characterisation is incredible. It's odd; I wouldn't call any of his characters to most vibrant or real I have ever read, yet they act as reference points for people in my own memories. There is enough information provided that you fill in the blanks yourself, yet still they all remain perfectly distinct. An odd talent.

About quarter of the way through and - obviously - loving every page.

Heads-up. If you're subscribed to Orbit's monthly 'orbital drop', this month is Abercrombie's 'Best Served Cold' for $2.99. Deal.

Kawaii

Just finished:
1001004006314286.jpg

I really liked the continuous theme of all the characters being a refuge of some kind. The ending was kind of a let down though. I'd give it 4/5 nontheless. (Read in English)

Currently reading:
george_orwell.jpg

Only 30 or so pages in. Liking it so far! Really love the cover art too. (English)

On the shelf i still got lying:
The Angels game, I really liked Shadow of the wind so i got to read this next. (English)
The Book Thief, translated to dutch. I tried reading it in English but couldn't get through the first chapters in the bookstore. So i got it for christmas in the Dutch version.

balladofwindfishes said:
So a book suggestion is needed

My little brother is 12, and reads at an 8th grade reading level. He has to read any historical fiction novel that he wants. His teacher's definition of historical fiction is super loose, and can include pretty much anything that actually happened, even if it's super exaggerated.

He thinks war books are boring, and history is boring. He doesn't want to read books about presidents or funny anecdotes.

He loves the Cold War, though.

He wants to read a spy novel from the cold war. He basically said "like James Bond or Team Fortress 2, except as a book, and for little kids." The former made me chuckle a little (since Bond is based on a book), but that's basically what he wants to read.

A very cliche 50s-70s spy novel is essentially the idea here, but it should be an 8th grade reading level, so James Bond is out of the question.

Any suggestions? I should also say he doesn't like books explicitly aimed at children. The last few reports he did were on 101 Arabian Nights, the Walking Dead and a Jerry Seinfeld Biography, so you can see he doesn't settle for books really geared for him. He says they insult his intelligence or something.

not exactly cold war or spy, but i would recommend Ender's Game for him.

Shiv47

51b0qV-LrxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pretty interesting stuff, especially about how shoddy the science behind obesity has been the last fifty or so years.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My Kindle 3G showed up yesterday! I figure I'll do a lot more reading now that I have this thing. I really love the screen and portability.

Right now I only have the Song of Ice and Fire series and The Name of the Wind (from previously purchasing and reading on my phone), but I'm not looking to expand my library. Does the Kindle store ever do sales? Anyway, I'll definitely start paying more attention to these threads.

mike23

Finished this. I thought it was very good, worth checking out. Got a digital copy as an early reviewer on LT

m9t3m.jpg

And started this:

paFUG.jpg

Cyan said:
Loved those. The first book has one of the best end-of-chapter-one hooks I've ever encountered.
I'm reading these right now. Almost done with the first one. I love it. It is so good/gripping, one of those I-can't-stop-reading books.

Laekon

I finally finished reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. YOu could cut 600 pages out of that book and it would still be long winded.

I got a Kindle for Xmas and have started to read "Shogun" by James Clavell on it. I'm really liking it so far. I can't pick out any one thing that makes it good but the combination of an unfamilar setting and a plot that could go in multiple directions makes it hard for me to stop reading at night.

Top Bottom