• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2011)

Salazar

:lol

I've seen an Oral History of Ayn Rand on the shelves at bookstores recently. Prominently displayed. I have not a shred, not a micron, of an idea who could be interested.

Salazar said:
:lol

I've seen an Oral History of Ayn Rand on the shelves at bookstores recently. Prominently displayed. I have not a shred, not a micron, of an idea who could be interested.

2mdme1j.jpg

does she really suck that bad?

Salazar

brianjones said:
does she really suck that bad?

Amphetamine-stuffed, paranoiacally anti-Communist, man-eating, empathy-challenged freak-show with literary and philosophical pretensions enormously out of proportion with her capacity. She sucks that bad.

Was trying to get into Diaspora by Greg Egan, as someone had recommended it, but the first part is rough and all about some mumbo jumbo science about mind seeds and latitudes and longitudes... it's really hard to get passed it. I'm wondering if there's a story there after that, though?

n2745.jpg

Anyway, went back to The Black Company in the meantime, and it is fantastic. My favorite fantasy series after SOIAF and The First Law Trilogy.

The_Black_Company.jpg

Dresden

Dropped Tacitus, rereading Conquistador by S.M. Stirling. As usual, great world-building, lovely food, good action--along with the usual Stirling hero (tall, blond, and white with a big dick, no joke), the action-girl love interest, and the token black character insert. Thankfully, Tom, the hero of Conquistador, isn't a total douche like Athelstane King of Peshawar Lancers.

It's all very formulaic, but still enjoyable. It's a bit of a pity that the fascinating worlds he constructs never really get reused, though. The post-diaspora India that he crafted in Peshawar is one of the best AU depictions I've ever read about.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Third time's the charm? Posted this in two threads already, but you'll forgive me if I'm a little over-excited. :)

I just got my very first short story publication. A scifi flash piece on dailysciencefiction.com (a new but pro-rate (!) ezine), "Palindrome."

Take a look; hope you guys like it!

(I'll try to restrain myself from posting this anywhere else. :lol)

Gonna qoute it for the new page, for ya Cyan. You've a right to be proud mate. :p

Ashes

Banned
Suairyu said:
Just started...
i6cj2r.jpg

Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
One of Britain's most celebrated authors. Previously only being familiar with his excellent short story collection/cycle, Nocturnes, I requested for Christmas his entire bibliography. This is the book I chose to start with.

I can't actually say much about it, as there is a twist revealed on the very first page that would be a crime to reveal. The twist doesn't actually sink in or become realised by the reader until about three chapters in, but it is of such importance, twisting the perception of the however many pages it took you to realise what you have been reading that I dare not speak a word of it. For myself, I realised fairly early on. I imagine some took longer, some shorter.

However, what I can say is this: the core of the book is not that one, simple twist; it is a powerful exploration of youth as the novel's narrator and her two friends reminisce on their time in an English countryside boarding school.

I am fast realising why I am so drawn to Ishiguro's work. For one, he has impeccable control of prosaic rhythm, an element of prose writing that most authors never master or even realise is an element to be mastered. I recommend all read Nocturnes, his short story collection/cycle focussed on the subject of music and endings. The rhythms of music are evoked in his writing in a way I have often attempted in my own. In Never Let Me Go, the rhythm is less explicit, creating a warm, droning pace that brings to the mind the feel of long, hot summer days. Alphabetic metre influencing image. Real deep-level theory stuff, that, but the effects are so remarkable.

Secondly, his characterisation is incredible. It's odd; I wouldn't call any of his characters to most vibrant or real I have ever read, yet they act as reference points for people in my own memories. There is enough information provided that you fill in the blanks yourself, yet still they all remain perfectly distinct. An odd talent.

About quarter of the way through and - obviously - loving every page.

I think we disagreed a bit in the past, but I can't quite remember; maybe in another thread. Anyways, this time you have my plaudits. That's a fine author, and a good choice indeed.

just finished
Feed.jpg

loved everything about it. almost cried
leading up to the death of Georgia
May 2011. it's oh so close.

Time to read Child 44

child4.jpg

movie_club

well i finished foundation and empire. I was pretty bored with it, but I can not exactly say why. I never really felt that invested in the characters. The first one was much better, hm I do not think I will read the third just yet. Starting:

20101130-griftopia-250.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Started a reread of Game of Thrones, but held of when I found The Heroes out early! So far so good!

eC8rv.jpg

S. L.

Vard said:
Nice. Only 8 more months to go for the English translation!
yeah but according to Wikipedia the english one will be in two volumes (and by two different Translators wtf!?)
This is already both volumes :D :D

Thou i'm not sure if there will be a third one too.

Vard

S. L. said:
yeah but according to Wikipedia the english one will be in two volumes (and by two different Translators wtf!?)

Ah that's unfortunate. I was hoping it was the whole thing. Rubin seems to be translating most of it at least, and he's my favorite translator of Murakami's work.

S. L.

Vard said:
Ah that's unfortunate. I was hoping it was the whole thing. Rubin seems to be translating most of it at least, and he's my favorite translator of Murakami's work.
ah wait i misread that, looks like the us will get 1&2 also bundled together

Keen said:
Started a reread of Game of Thrones, but held of when I found The Heroes out early! So far so good!

http://i.imgur.com/eC8rv.jpg

You lucky... fish!

Edit: Craziness. It's available to ship right now on The Book Depository. Either someone made an error or a staff member is a fan or, most likely, the publisher wanted some hype. Well, job done: my copy is ordered. And in news of further coolness, Abercrombie happened to confirm four more books in the First Law universe.

wrowa

S. L. said:

The US gets the first and two volumes in one book, the third one is supposed to follow shortly after that (that's the reason for the two different translators).

In other words: We Germans got volumes 1 and 2 early, we have to wait a year for the third one, while the english-speaking citizens of planet Earth have to wait a year longer for the first two volumes, but don't have to wait that long for the third book.

I don't know what is better or worse.

What I do know, though, is that I've read the first two books before most of GAF already - bragging rights!

Cyan said:
Isn't the point of a book club to talk about the book in question?

It's just... I'm not sure a three-word review will cut it. :p
Honestly I was more or less facilitating the book club since I'm the OP. I have zero idea how the book club is supposed to work. Do we all review it as soon as we're finished or do we wait to give others a chance to finish it as well? I'll gladly give a full bodied review right now.

movie_club

Maklershed said:
Honestly I was more or less facilitating the book club since I'm the OP. I have zero idea how the book club is supposed to work. Do we all review it as soon as we're finished or do we wait to give others a chance to finish it as well? I'll gladly give a full bodied review right now.
I am not reading this months, but just a suggestion, I think the book club discussion should be in a thread where there can be spoilers

In that case I'm going to hold off until next month to give everyone who's interested a chance to read it. Otherwise we're going to see huge posts of spoiler tags.

movie_club said:
I am not reading this months, but just a suggestion, I think the book club discussion should be in a thread where there can be spoilers

That's an even better idea. Does anyone care to take the reigns and start it?

Narag

movie_club said:

Was going to suggest that. Just link it in the OP with the other pertinent info for people so they can participate.

Tim the Wiz said:
You lucky... fish!

Edit: Craziness. It's available to ship right now on The Book Depository. Either someone made an error or a staff member is a fan or, most likely, the publisher wanted some hype. Well, job done: my copy is ordered.

Just ordered mine as well!

And in news of further coolness, Abercrombie happened to confirm four more books in the First Law universe.

Fuck yeah! Wish Martin could knock them out like this guy.

Flek

Banned
mhew Child 44 kindle book is only for us residents … wtf? So what do i have to do to get it anyway? Already set a fake NY adress … guess i need a proxy too?

Anyway reading:

841HL.png

like it so far

Cyan said:
Given the nature of this thread and the book club idea, my suggestion would be to keep it in the reading threads. It'll get a lot more participation.

...as someone not reading the book club book, would personally prefer to see the discussions in a separate thread. Think about it: if there's a ton of discussion, it will dominate everything else. Plus it would be easier for you guys to keep up with if it was its own thread, a la the challenges and everything else.

Plus you might get people interested in that who are not interested in the "what are you reading" threads. Honestly, I skip a lot of these threads because I hate when people just post covers. Pain waiting for them all to load (if they do!).

My couple of cents, anyway.

Maklershed said:
In that case I'm going to hold off until next month to give everyone who's interested a chance to read it. Otherwise we're going to see huge posts of spoiler tags.

That's an even better idea. Does anyone care to take the reigns and start it?

I agree that we should move the book club book discussion elsewhere. I haven't even started on it yet, but don't want to accidentally come across spoilers. Maybe put it in a separate thread, or start a Goodreads thread on it in the NeoGAF group? Not sure how many of us are actual members there.

Cyan said:
You're pretty smart for a monkey!

Actually, I was kind of hoping that discussion of a book club book might spur more discussion on other books people are reading, as opposed to all covers all the time.

But you have a point. Anyway, only one way to find out what works, and that's to do it. Somebody step up and make the thread!

I are genius monkey. I should change my login name! :lol

At least with a book club thread, there's likely to be more discussion. It could always be done like the challenges, if a separate thread is successful... different people could "run" it each month, maybe? Or whoever runs it could just take suggestions so that the books have variety. I too would like to move beyond all covers all the time in this thread, though. :/ Same with the music threads and all. I hate just seeing a page of pictures. But I'm also picky_monkey.

coldvein

Banned
hey_monkey said:
I too would like to move beyond all covers all the time in this thread, though. :/ Same with the music threads and all. I hate just seeing a page of pictures. But I'm also picky_monkey.

especially when they're those godawful jim butcher or joe abercrombie covers. or any of the other uber cheese fantasy covers.

sorry, i'm a bit of a cover snob. :lol

Finished this in the afternoon. Really fast read. Took me less than a day.

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Description:
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

If I had been ten years younger and hadn't read so many sci-fi and dystopian books already, I would have liked Across the Universe a lot more. It's not to say this book is bad. Not at all. But throughout the whole time reading this book, I kept seeing recycled ideas, themes, and a pervasive feeling of reading it all before.

Everything is a little cliched in the book and the characters all felt a little sterile, even the main ones. The mystery of who's screwing things up on the ship was tantalizing enough to keep me reading, but I already had a hint of how the story as going to end up. The themes in the book were just very heavy handed.

Across the Universe would be more enjoyable to someone who's not an avid reader of dystopian fiction.

Lesson learned from this book: things ALWAYS go wrong in space

51HK3OUeKiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Was reading The Windup Girl, but just couldn't get into it. Gave up after 50 pages or so.

Not reading Red Mars, got my hooked after two pages :D

515kVw2HKRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Vard

Just adding my opinion about our book of the month / book club

- separate thread (either on GAF or directly on our GoodReads group page). I think it would be better on GR actually, but I'm not sure how many of us use GR. Also, can you spoiler tag on GR? Hmm.

- we should decide on the book of the month the month before; I don't think we gave enough time this month, especially for those who want to buy it online and have to wait for it to get delivered. Like... Next week we should know what February's book will be!

- maybe add milestones so people have a goal to reach or can read it at a similar pace? I think that's how real book clubs work anyway. Ex: get to Ch. 6 by the 10th and the halfway mark by the 15th. Maybe I just know I'd be lagging behind everyone else without something like that to shoot for, heh.

coldvein

Banned
Vard said:

- separate thread (either on GAF or directly on our GoodReads group page). I think it would be better on GR actually, but I'm not sure how many of us use GR. Also, can you spoiler tag on GR? Hmm.

- we should decide on the book of the month the month before; I don't think we gave enough time this month, especially for those who want to buy it online and have to wait for it to get delivered. Like... Next week we should know what February's book will be!

- maybe add milestones so people have a goal to reach or can read it at a similar pace? I think that's how real book clubs work anyway. Ex: get to Ch. 6 by the 10th and the halfway mark by the 15th. Maybe I just know I'd be lagging behind everyone else without something like that to shoot for, heh.

i agree with the points of this post. especially the milestones thing.

Vard said:

I agree with this post. I just purchased the book as well and would like a place to talk about it. Also, I like the milestones idea.

Dresden

Might also want some voting system to choose next month's book. Have the thread starter toss up three authors--I don't know, ali, oe, jacq, whatever--and for whatever author that gets chosen, the OP chooses a book by them.

Top Bottom