• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2011)

Flek

Banned
Cyan said:
Seems like we won't have a separate thread for this month, so let's get some suggestions for next month's book.

I'm thinking we can switch off between lighter fare and more challenging stuff.

So my suggestion to start off is something light: Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser.

whoever want´s to make a bookclub thread can get in contact with me for :

banner design and other graphic work for the thread. I would be happy to help out!

For the book itself it say lets go with a "shorter" book first and then raise the pages etc. from month to month.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finally finished The Way of Kings. I haven't read as much fantasy as many people here, but I really enjoyed it. It was hard to keep turning the first 100 or so pages but after that I was hooked. 1,000 pages and I was disappointed when it ended.

Zalasta

Guileless said:
Finally finished The Way of Kings. I haven't read as much fantasy as many people here, but I really enjoyed it. It was hard to keep turning the first 100 or so pages but after that I was hooked. 1,000 pages and I was disappointed when it ended.

Yeah, the beginning felt very disjointed because it jumped between characters that seemed to have no connection with each other. At least a 1 year wait until the next book!

braves01

Banned
ratners_star.large.jpg

About 175 pages in. Pretty funny sci-fi so far.

I'm about 10% into our bookclub book.

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

Seems ok so far. Depressing start, and a lot of paranoia. The prose is kind of abrupt and forward, almost like it's a translation. It reminds me of Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo, the way the words flow.

UraMallas

Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and enjoyed it quite a bit. I like the way Rothfuss writes but I thought the ending kind of just puttered out.

This is what I've just started:

2wg985u.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
For any fans of Shadow of The Wind, I just finished reading The Angel's Game.

I'd say it was another great book, but unlike SotW, it tailed off at the end...and got a little crazy with the subplots and twists/turns. The ending seemed tacked on but it was a worthwhile read in the end, if not for the plot, simply for the protagonists' employer.

But I will say...now that I'm thinking about it, there are QUITE a few unanswered questions and unexplained plot points.

Next?

410UkKG0LcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I wanted to tackle this a while ago but got distracted, now, with Kindle in hand, I will start this.

I read this title as "are you reading?" and it made me laugh out loud for some reason... maybe that means I should be reading.

Stat Flow said:
For any fans of Shadow of The Wind, I just finished reading The Angel's Game.

I'd say it was another great book, but unlike SotW, it tailed off at the end...and got a little crazy with the subplots and twists/turns. The ending seemed tacked on but it was a worthwhile read in the end, if not for the plot, simply for the protagonists' employer.

Next?

410UkKG0LcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I wanted to tackle this a while ago but got distracted, now, with Kindle in hand, I will start this.
Oh man, I've been wanting to read that. Let me/us know how it is after -- i'll pick it up on my break.

Vard

nakedsushi said:
I updated the currently reading book on Goodreads and started a discussion there. But since there is currently no spoiler tag function, I suggest not reading that thread unless you're done with the book, or not interested in reading it at all.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/19035.NeoGAF

Man, I really need to put spoiler tags in.
Oh, you work at GR, right? That's pretty awesome. Make it happen!

Vard said:
Oh, you work at GR, right? That's pretty awesome. Make it happen!

Yeah, I should but I'm bogged down with super secret projects =D I'll probably work on it Friday as my Fun Friday project.

Salazar

:lol

That cover. It's like he's sitting on the toilet and someone just opened the door. He's got a loo book and everything.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
^^^

Love the first three Foundation books, great choice.

Anyhow I am reading:

2666.jpg

Just started section two and it is amazing writing so far.

I just finished the newest Ciaphas Cain book, called The Emperor's Finest, while reading whatever free books I download on my Kindle.

Kindle says i'm 60% done with Child 44 (I think that's like 300 pages in) and I made it up to
finding Andrei is the murderer
Didn't expect it. So far i'm enjoying it. don't know what i'll read after this. probably just finish that random zombie book and find something else after.

Salazar

Rereading A Dance to the Music of Time, by Anthony Powell. Well, I am making a more determined shot at it, having only made it to the halfway mark of the series the last time I tried.

And watching the tv adaptation. James Purefoy is wonderful.

I'm reading Plato's the Republic right now. I also just got Philip K Dick's Ubik, Sam Harris's the Moral Landscape, and Shakespeare's Macbeth.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finished Drood by Dan Simmons. It is looong but a good read for anyone who is interested in Dickens or Victorian London.

DMPrince said:
Kindle says i'm 60% done with Child 44 (I think that's like 300 pages in) and I made it up to
Didn't expect it.

I'm at the same part. I didn't expect it either but
was kind of disappointed when it was revealed. His motive seems kinda flimsy other than he's batshit crazy now. I hope they think up a better motive.

Vinci

Danish
Reading A Buddhist Bible and Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?

Not doing much in the way of fiction recently.

Amazing book. Part 4 is a challenge, but part 5 makes it all worth it.
Rough as in the content or the form? I thought it was a disgustingly perfect portrait of sorrow and emptiness, especially with the reports thrown in more often than character exposition in segments. It really really really creates a sense of absolute and terrible helplessness.

And after Part 5, I can sort-of-but-not-really see how Bolano wanted to release them seperately because it is a triumph of its own accord.

I think 2666 is my book of the last decade to be honest. But that's just one man's opinion.

faridmon

Haven't followed the thread, so I have to ask: Have decided on a book for next month. Haven't read anything for about a month because of my exams which finishes next week, so I am down for a book club after that.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Roofy said:
51mLmfesinL._SS500_.jpg

i love winter break because i can finally read what i want :lol

Wow, that looks like a really interesting book. Allow me to suggest:

697979.jpg

I don't think you'll be able to put it down.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Here's what I'm reading:

ajourney.jpg

Decision-Points.jpg

n642.jpg
I got it for free on the Kindle store.

747901.jpg
The King's Gold is the 4th installment of the Capitan Alatriste series.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
51NSMZRX33L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not really into fantasy/steampunk, but this was recommended to me.

About half way through. Not sure what to think. On one hand, it's not overbearing with it's fantasy aspects, but on the other, the world seems to be extremely graphically disgusting just for the "oooo isn't that soooo gross ew ew ew right? lol" sake.

The story is fairly compelling so far, so I'm sticking with it.

faridmon

Cyan said:
The consensus at this point appears to be for George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman.

Unless there's an outcry for something else, I will do the Feb book club thread featuring that book.

Other suggestions are still welcome, of course.
Great, I am in! have to get ways to get that book.

FlyinJ said:
51NSMZRX33L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not really into fantasy/steampunk, but this was recommended to me.

About half way through. Not sure what to think. On one hand, it's not overbearing with it's fantasy aspects, but on the other, the world seems to be extremely graphically disgusting just for the "oooo isn't that soooo gross ew ew ew right? lol" sake.

The story is fairly compelling so far, so I'm sticking with it.

A lot of people recommend that book to me too, but still haven't started reading any of Mieville's stuff. The "ooh isn't that gross" for the sake of being gross part is what's turning me off of it. How do you like the prose other than that? I hear people either hate it or love it.

Cyan said:
The consensus at this point appears to be for George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman.
I'm looking at Amazon to get myself ready but I don't see one just called Flashman. Which one in particular are we to read?

afternoon delight said:
Rough as in the content or the form? I thought it was a disgustingly perfect portrait of sorrow and emptiness, especially with the reports thrown in more often than character exposition in segments. It really really really creates a sense of absolute and terrible helplessness.

And after Part 5, I can sort-of-but-not-really see how Bolano wanted to release them seperately because it is a triumph of its own accord.

I think 2666 is my book of the last decade to be honest. But that's just one man's opinion.

Oh, definitely not "challenge" in that it was badly written. That section was just so harrowing. Especially since you know atrocities like that happen all the time in these kinds of towns just made it all the more terrifying.

I haven't read as much fiction from the last decade as I should, but I'd agree. I don't remember who posted about it on GAF before it came out, but thank you.

trying to get into chess with this book

51EZ9QBPN9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i'm also on a little kafka kick right now.

0805210393.jpg

and, slugging my way through the german version of the trial to keep up with the language.

41vHew-knmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

DMPrince said:
Didn't expect it. So far i'm enjoying it. don't know what i'll read after this. probably just finish that random zombie book and find something else after.
I'm 57% through and I accidentally highlighted the spoiler. I KNEW it!
The string was a dead give away.

EDIT: I don't know his motive but I'll get there soon.

Eric WK

bumbillbee said:
Oh, definitely not "challenge" in that it was badly written. That section was just so harrowing. Especially since you know atrocities like that happen all the time in these kinds of towns just made it all the more terrifying.

I haven't read as much fiction from the last decade as I should, but I'd agree. I don't remember who posted about it on GAF before it came out, but thank you.

Yeah, I mean, Bolano's account in The Part About the Crimes is only a fraction of the real horror taking place in Ciudad Juarez and elsewhere in Mexico right now.

And anyone who discounts 2666 as being the best novel of the new millennium hasn't read it. It shattered my little world.

Salazar

Maklershed said:
I'm looking at Amazon to get myself ready but I don't see one just called Flashman. Which one in particular are we to read?

This one, damn your eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035II8XA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Flashman, soldier, duellist, lover, imposter, coward, cad, and hero, triumphs in this first installment of The Flashman Papers. His adventures as the reluctant secret agent in Afghanistan and his entry into the exclusive company of Lord Cardigan's Hussars culminate in his foulest hour- his part in the historic disaster of the Retreat from Kabul. This is the story of a blackguard who enjoyed villainy for its own sake. Shameless, exciting, and funny, Flashman's deplorable odyssey is observed with the cynical eyeof a scoundrel who was honest only in reporting what he saw. He makes all other black sheep look respectably grey.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I'm 57% through and I accidentally highlighted the spoiler. I KNEW it!
The string was a dead give away.

EDIT: I don't know his motive but I'll get there soon.
i realized
the string
before i went to bed. Was like DUH! lol

At age 22 I only completed my first ever book that I bothered my ass to read outside of school at the end of 2010. I have to say, I like this reading lark. Read Chopper (Mark Brandon Read) then Animal Farm. Just started Homicide by David Simon. Got 1984 by George Orwell lined up next. Then I don't know where I will go from there.

Just finished Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Holy. Shit. It's probably the best novel I've ever read, at least thematically. I've read Steppenwolf and some of his other work before, but I never really thought that fiction could convey such themes so readily. My bar for 'existential' or 'philosophical' fiction has been entirely reset.

And now I'm reading The Trial by Franz Kafka.

I finished reading

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

It was a satisfying ending and I'll write up my thoughts on it later, but I'm confused about one part:

Why did Vasili hate Leo so much? The book kept mentioning it was personal, but did we ever find out what exactly it was? Was it just plain jealousy? That character just seemed so muahahah evil villain.

Top Bottom