• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee - OT - 10:30PM Wednesdays on TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinGT

Banned
The 20-day waiting period and national registry for Eddie Eagle costumes is too perfect. It's almost too hard to believe.

Dabanton

I double bill this with John Oliver. Great show, I've always loved Sam Bee on TDS.

I sort of wish John Stewart would do a show like this or LWT. Just him talking on different subjects.

The best parts of TDS were the opening monologue in the first 7-8 mins.

I just started catching these clips on Youtube--god damn, this is fantastic. Really reminds me of the best of Stewart-era Daily Show. Samantha Bee is a genius.

undrtakr900

Is it weird that I find her wit and intelligence so incredibly attractive?
Not at all my good sir, I do too 😘✌ I love when she gets passionate about a subject, like women's issues, which are usually being decided on by men.
I double bill this with John Oliver. Great show, I've always loved Sam Bee on TDS.

I sort of wish John Stewart would do a show like this or LWT. Just him talking on different subjects.

The best parts of TDS were the opening monologue in the first 7-8 mins.
What, you mean like a "new" show?

I'm happy Jon retired (not because I wanted him to go), but for Jon's own sanity. He's said in interviews following bleak/distressing news day-in day-out without seeing anything change is highly depressing. If you seen a post show interview on his farm he looks so happy now.

Shaneus

Uuuuuugh, Monday is so far away. Salivating at the thought of what she'll do with the recent GOP primary news.
Perhaps this could tide you over?
H3ox0n0.png

blackw0lf

Remember that Repe-Kit segment? It helped pass the bill the Republican senator was blocking.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/20/tribeca-2016-samantha-bee-full-frontal

In March, Full Frontal ran a segment in which Bee reported on the hundreds of thousands of rape kits across the United States that go untested for DNA evidence, and how a Republican state senator in Georgia blocked a bill last year that would have required law enforcement officials to find, count, and test those kits. As Miller tells it, after the segment aired, legislations were able to get the proposal passed.

“At the eleventh hour, after our piece ran, it got a lot of attention and they managed to get it passed by attaching it to another bill — a legislator sacrificed her part of a bill that had to do with background checks for guns and they put in the rape kit in a way that it wouldn’t go through committee, so [it] would just get an up or down vote without going up in this committee,” she explained. “So it got passed at like, 1 till midnight and the supporters were tweeting at us and letting us know.”

Nelo Ice

Banned
What a smack-down (with a smile): 2010 Election: Part Two

So much ether omfg. I'm glad I'm in a deep blue state but god damn I still feel like shit for not voting. This shit is exactly how bad things can get when you don't vote.

edit: And just got to that crisis pregnancy center segment. Omfg it can't be said enough but fuck everything the GOP stand for.

berzeli

Banned
Holy fucking shit. This show is too good for us.

They made a F for Fake reference in their crisis pregnancy centres video. And I thought I couldn't love this show any more than I already did.

mclem

I guess there was an inevitability that at some point we'd have a situation where one of Bee's central sections happens to be the same core topic as Oliver's for that week - in fact, I'm mildly surprised it's not really happened sooner. Pleased that neither felt unnecessary; I felt Oliver's left me more informed (and went broader than just Nevada), but I still found Bee's funny.

mclem

No-one mentioning her open to this week's show? Thought it was very powerful, and well-planned that they kept calling back to it throughout the other items.

Codeblue

I just recently got into the site via recommendation from a different GAF thread.

She's filling the Jon Stewart sized hole in my heart. Her open was such a brilliant mix of logical and passionate. Glad she dismantled every aspect of Rick Scott's response of shielding the gun debate by hiding it behind the victims. It was a great piece and a welcome change of pace from the defeated monologue everyone else had.

No one mentions the show period sadly. TBS effect I guess.
Yeah, I finally got around to watching it and I'm trying to recommend it to as many as I can. Currently it's topping John Oliver for me, at least for current events. It's just a shame it's a weekly show that's only as long as episodes of the Daily Show are.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wonderful episode, I hope the opening segment gets shared around. It really does feel like we're in a cycle with these tragedies.

The Libertarian segment had me rolling. In undergrad, the libertarians in the class always had the wildest things to add to the discussion.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn it. I keep forgetting to set this to record on my DVR. I always end up having to watch the clips the next day on YouTube. It does seem like I still get all the content but I'm never sure if I'm missing bits and pieces.

The show is great. Why the hell is this thread so barren? More people need to watch Sam Bee.

gabbo

Damn it. I keep forgetting to set this to record on my DVR. I always end up having to watch the clips the next day on YouTube. It does seem like I still get all the content but I'm never sure if I'm missing bits and pieces.

The show is great. Why the hell is this thread so barren? More people need to watch Sam Bee.

If TBS put more of her segments online or one could watch the show without a cable sub, it might help reach more of its target demo.

Raxus

If TBS put more of her segments online or one could watch the show without a cable sub, it might help reach more of its target demo.

The whole show is more or less placed on youtube. Not sure how much it is restricted out of the US. I find it much easier to watch the entire episode of this than Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. That being said both are my favorite late night programs at the moment with Conan in 3rd. A large part is their presence in youtube and other mediums.

I would have linked more to the Brexit segment but I feel there is a stronger episode coming at the moment about Trump and Brexit's long lasting implications.

gabbo

The whole show is more or less placed on youtube. Not sure how much it is restricted out of the US. I find it much easier to watch the entire episode of this than Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. That being said both are my favorite late night programs at the moment with Conan in 3rd. A large part is their presence in youtube and other mediums.

I would have linked more to the Brexit segment but I feel there is a stronger episode coming at the moment about Drumpf and Brexit's long lasting implications.

Ah, well Ive seen that the youtube clips do miss some bits. I've also yet to come across any [legal] streams online (I'm in Canada) but maybe I'm not looking in the right spots.

I do agree though, she and Olver are my go-to shows for Late Night now.

Dishwalla

Banned
I follow the show on Facebook and they usually post the Youtube videos of the segments within a couple hours after they air. That's how I watch the show most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom