• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yooka-Laylee PS4 Gameplay

Yukinari

Really hoping theres a crazy level like click clock wood or cloud cuckooland as the final level and not a grunty industries.

Alastor3

Are they still keeping enemies and such hidden? I remember some other users saying that when I commented on how empty it looks. And it still looks empty.

Agreed.

Everyone is like : omg a platforming 3D game!

And im like, yeah but are you able to critisice it?

-snip-

Also, remember that this is the first level. Mumbo's Mountain and Bo-ob Battlefield both had a similar simplicity to them- a big space to run around in and try out various moves, and get a hang of the game's mechanics.
I must've missed this level, but it sounds wonderful.

Oneself

Looking great! I had doubts about how it would perform since it's built with Unity, and still have, but it looks pretty well on its way to keep a steady 30fps at least.

Hydrargyrus

Seems to lack something (probably is a little lifeless in comparison) but It's fantastic how catches the old school vibe from Banjo & Kazooie.

maxcriden

You do know that Playtonic aren't legally bound to reveal all their plans just because someone asks them, right? In September the Switch hadn't even been announced- if Playtonic had said "yeah, we're working on a version for the NX" it would have been BIG NEWS, especially considering Rare's history with Nintendo. It would have ultimately distracted from Yooka-Laylee as a multi-plat, plus we know from the whole Skyrim thing that Nintendo do NOT want any developers talking about Switch releases until January.

If a Switch port is coming anytime soon, Playtonic will have had it planned for a long time, way before September.

I totally see where you're coming from and appreciate your perspective and optimism. I'll gladly share your optimism. I do understand Playtonic isn't legally bound to reveal plans to those who ask; however, some companies go out of their way to toe the line to literal truths in response to questions out of a sense of fun misdirection or concern for fan backlash, so I was just trying to do the mental gymnastics of how that might be the case. :)

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Did you never play any 90s fully 3D platformers? This is what they were all like. There will be proper platforming, but it's specific and usually tied to reaching a major collectable. Individual levels in Rare's 3D platformers were almost like their own hub world, with lots of smaller challenges you could do. 3D Mario is different, with the goal being selected on the screen before the level begins, but even in Mario 64 and Sunshine the levels are very open.

Also, remember that this is the first level. Mumbo's Mountain and Bo-ob Battlefield both had a similar simplicity to them- a big space to run around in and try out various moves, and get a hang of the game's mechanics.

Like you said, 3D Mario is a lot different. The emphasis in 64 was never in running around, gathering up all these stars, each one involved a specific mission, usually making high use of Mario's acrobatic movesets. My complaint isn't that Yooka-Laylee is open, more that the world itself doesn't make the best use of the space its created to emphasize actual platforming.

That's a good point about Bob-Omb Battlefield, but for the best example of environmental consistency in an open world platformer I would bring up Jak 1. The very first world has a ton going on, yet it doesn't feel like a floating island populated sparsely with scattered test obstacles. It really feels like you're playing in actual environments, right from the first island. I've never played Banjo but I've heard it has the same kind of attention to environmental detail, making it even more surprising the team has seemingly "dropped the ball" in this regard.

Yeah this footage has basically just told me to not be interested, which is what I should've expected, seeing as the Banjo games never appealed to me before either. The jumping/platforming that I saw didn't seem satisfying to me.

But not everyone can like every style of game, and this definitely good news for fans of games in that style, this seems to be invoking that very well from what I can tell.

Still, so glad this genre, and genre-adjacent games are getting a resurgence. I have the Crash Trilogy, Knack 2 (seriously), and that 3D Mario (depending on which style they're going for) to look forward to.

I agree. I guess I should have specified this is totally a personal preference thing, collectathon fans and maybe even fans of "action platformers" like Ratchet will love it. My favorite genre is pure platforming, the more jumping and double-jumping over and on top of obstacles the better. Jak 1 being my favorite 3D platformer because of the platforming combined with believable environment design, but if games have to sacrifice those environments in order to preserve the straightforward platforming experience I'm fine with those as well, like 3D World.

As I said in the above quote though, a big part of the appeal in Banjo from what I can see in gameplay videos was the visuals, how the worlds looked. I really think in order to draw in the full "Banjo audience" Yooka Laylee should improve in this regard.

Top Bottom