• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yooka-Laylee PS4 Gameplay

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Not a big fan of this footage at all. It really isn't much of a platformer, more of an action-collectathon that has a few areas requiring some half-hearted jumping. And the world doesn't look too immersive or beautiful at all, like a huge floating island with randomly scattered obstacles that, combined with the framerate, looks like its still in the beta stage.

Mattenth

Beautiful, though I'm a little concerned... The shooting the moving target against the wall feels so basic, and the animations aren't there. Hoping that it's just incomplete assets or something, but a "disappear" effect like that feels very budget.

Not a big fan of this footage at all. It really isn't much of a platformer, more of an action-collectathon that has a few areas requiring some half-hearted jumping. And the world doesn't look too immersive or beautiful at all, like a huge floating island with randomly scattered obstacles that, combined with the framerate, looks like its still in the beta stage.

I feel like this is how the Banjo games were

maxcriden

I think it might be possible that they've been working on a port since last E3. They gave kits out to quite a few indies and we're now seeing some of the higher profile stuff moving over or being included in dev plans. Whether it's Playtonic or Team 17 or someone else is anyone's guess. They'd be leaving money on the table if they didn't. People are always game hungry at launch.

I had asked the Hive Jump guys about a Switch port, by saying 4-player with everyone having separate screens would be awesome and was basically given, "WOULDN'T IT THOUGH?! ;) ;)" as a response.

Oh, that's promising. Perhaps they'll turn out to have been playing some careful language trickery and actually have meant Team17 was working on the port, so they could be able to honestly say they were not. Though, I don't know what their specific wording was at the time. Anyway, I gladly see your point and will strongly be hoping for such a port to happen ASAP.

Hesh

This reminds me, what happened to that 3D platformer where you played as the girl in the top hat? Was that ever finished?

chadskin

This reminds me, what happened to that 3D platformer where you played as the girl in the top hat? Was that ever finished?

A Hat in Time? Slated for release next year. If you buy it on the official page, you'll be able to play the beta.

Elixist

this. looks kinda blah visually for sure. with the talent behind it i expected everything to be a bit more cohesive/impressive by now.

bomblord1

Banned
Switch Confirmed
captureh6u7d.png

NathanS

Not a big fan of this footage at all. It really isn't much of a platformer, more of an action-collectathon that has a few areas requiring some half-hearted jumping.

So all of like Rare's 3d "platforms" then. They were always far more adventure games with a dash of paltforming elements.

Still a must-get for me, hope for more previews. Can't believe we're getting a new Rareware game... from not Rareware. What a time.

edit: and now I'm whistling that one song from Kirkhope, again.

Looked through it real quick because I'd rather just play the game. Looks fine. I keep forgetting I've paid for this already. Will be nice when it releases.

daTRUballin

This is so Banjo Kazooie-esque it isn't even funny. It's great and all, but the whole time I was watching the video I kept wishing this was the real Banjo Threeie instead. :(

Perhaps they'll turn out to have been playing some careful language trickery and actually have meant Team17 was working on the port, so they could be able to honestly say they were not. Though, I don't know what their specific wording was at the time.

You do know that Playtonic aren't legally bound to reveal all their plans just because someone asks them, right? In September the Switch hadn't even been announced- if Playtonic had said "yeah, we're working on a version for the NX" it would have been BIG NEWS, especially considering Rare's history with Nintendo. It would have ultimately distracted from Yooka-Laylee as a multi-plat, plus we know from the whole Skyrim thing that Nintendo do NOT want any developers talking about Switch releases until January.

If a Switch port is coming anytime soon, Playtonic will have had it planned for a long time, way before September.

I hope a Switch port is at or near launch. Having both a Rare-style and Nintendo-style 3D platformer at launch would be magical.

I can see Switch happening a bit later, especially if they want to get all current versions (specifically Wii U (and PC) as those are by Playtonic themselves) out on time, I'm not sure if they can squeeze in a Switch version alongside, and they certainly would not want to pass that to Team17. If they wanted to do the Wii U version themselves, you know they'd want to do the Switch version themselves also.

But honestly they should knock on Nintendo's door about a big deal for the Switch version where Nintendo would publish a retail release and maybe bundle it with an amiibo of Yooka and Laylee, AND add DK and Diddy amiibo functionality with both as cameos or better, playable characters.

It writes itself basically. The Nintendo audience would go bananas! :p

Not a big fan of this footage at all. It really isn't much of a platformer, more of an action-collectathon that has a few areas requiring some half-hearted jumping. And the world doesn't look too immersive or beautiful at all, like a huge floating island with randomly scattered obstacles

Did you never play any 90s fully 3D platformers? This is what they were all like. There will be proper platforming, but it's specific and usually tied to reaching a major collectable. Individual levels in Rare's 3D platformers were almost like their own hub world, with lots of smaller challenges you could do. 3D Mario is different, with the goal being selected on the screen before the level begins, but even in Mario 64 and Sunshine the levels are very open.

Also, remember that this is the first level. Mumbo's Mountain and Bo-ob Battlefield both had a similar simplicity to them- a big space to run around in and try out various moves, and get a hang of the game's mechanics.

farisr

Yeah this footage has basically just told me to not be interested, which is what I should've expected, seeing as the Banjo games never appealed to me before either. The jumping/platforming that I saw didn't seem satisfying to me.

But not everyone can like every style of game, and this definitely good news for fans of games in that style, this seems to be invoking that very well from what I can tell.

Still, so glad this genre, and genre-adjacent games are getting a resurgence. I have the Crash Trilogy, Knack 2 (seriously), and that 3D Mario (depending on which style they're going for) to look forward to.

hydruxo

Not crazy about made up languages but besides that,looks awesome.

That's been a staple in the Banjo games since the beginning, so it was pretty much a given to be in Yooka-Laylee. I think it's fitting. Actual voiceovers would be odd.

I'm fucking amazed how much this looks like Nuts & Bolts graphically, and this is from an INDIE team. How many folks at Rare made Nuts & Bolts, a few hundred?

And I don't think it's the hardware advantage, it feels as complex. The first level there feels like Showdown Town in terms of depth I think, and I've played quite a bit of N&B (but certainly not the full extent of it!).

Are they still keeping enemies and such hidden? I remember some other users saying that when I commented on how empty it looks. And it still looks empty.

Yes, it looks very empty. They need to populate the world more. I definitely have complained in the past about not having enough enemies to fight. There should be twice as many spread throughout the levels but there are vast tracks of the levels without anything to fight.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are they still keeping enemies and such hidden? I remember some other users saying that when I commented on how empty it looks. And it still looks empty.

Yes, it looks very empty. They need to populate the world more. I definitely have complained in the past about not having enough enemies to fight. There should be twice as many spread throughout the levels but there are vast tracks of the levels without anything to fight.

They specifically mention at the very BEGINNING of the video that the build shown is, in terms of world-filling, only 50%ish of what the final game will have concerning the number and placement of enemies and collectibles and that that is the reason it seems a bit bleak/empty.

I'm probably alone with this but I think it does not look that good in terms of graphics. It has that typical cheap Unity look with all it's flaws.

You're not alone.
Even if they might not be straight up immediately comparable, where YL might be a Mario3D and SP is more similar to Captain Todd afaik, I think that Snake Pass (Unreal engine) looks much better as a full package with a very similar artstyle, color palette and lighting.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwiRoA-kns

Espio

Beautiful, though I'm a little concerned... The shooting the moving target against the wall feels so basic, and the animations aren't there. Hoping that it's just incomplete assets or something, but a "disappear" effect like that feels very budget.

Thanks for the kind words.

Worth reiterating that this demo is 4/5 months old at this point and we've added a lot of polish since then including the stuff mentioned here (enemies, animation, performance). Plus lots of content was intentially removed including a boss, arcade game, NPCs etc :)

ramparter

Banned
Switch Confirmed
captureh6u7d.png
So it wasn't just me...

Worth reiterating that this demo is 4/5 months old at this point and we've added a lot of polish since then including the stuff mentioned here (enemies, animation, performance). Plus lots of content was intentially removed including a boss, arcade game, NPCs etc :)
Thanks for the info ...and for being part of making this game a reality :)

MAtgS

This is so Banjo Kazooie-esque it isn't even funny. It's great and all, but the whole time I was watching the video I kept wishing this was the real Banjo Threeie instead. :(
If KI can be developed by other studios, why the heck can't Platonic get the Banjo licence?

joolz

Keep up the good work! Thanks.

jimboton

As a backer, the comments about lack of challenge and how easy all collectables seem are disappointing frankly, cause that was my impression from the video as well. Yeah, I guess it could pick up later on. Maybe.

How's the Wii U version progressing? Any idea when we'll see screens or even footage of it?

BigEmil

Look better than Crash and is done for a indie company with a Wii U as base.

Incredible!
If you mean artstyle that's subjective. Technically Crash is much better than Yooka Laylee on top of Yooka Laylee is 30fps on all consoles compared to Crash 60fps and the Crash games are trying to replicate the exact look of the PS1 games artstyle etc not trying to fray away too much. So they could have done stuff to make look their own way but that would be too different.
It would be a better comparison if we got a Crash open worldish level game and not a remaster/remake of the originals.
Brighter doesn't always mean better

antyk

Not sure if I will play it personally, but I'm definitely buying this for my 9yo daughter :)

I hope there's variety to the environments and game play styles (platforming, puzzles, maybe some vehicular / flying sections, etc.), because all we've seen so far is this single area.

pswii60

I was unimpressed with the first videos, but this is a dramatic improvement all round! It looks stunning and I can't wait to play it, old Rare is definitely back judging by this video.

Any talk of how long the campaign will be?

To the people who keep saying "Why haven't they shown off any new areas?"

Keep in mind these guys come from Rare, a company who's been known to be very secretive and hush hush regarding their projects. You can already see that with Sea of Thieves. Naturally these guys at Playtonic aren't going to come out and reveal everything at once.

Top Bottom