• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur 20th Anniversary Trailer

Smasher89

IM a bit skeptical about what controller the Switch version would use, but a game like this. after the excellent SCV might actually be system selling for me(got ps3, no plan for ps4/xbone anytime soon, and i bet it wont come on wii u). That is, if wired is a option.

TDLink

I seriously do hope making a big deal about this means that a Soul Calibur VI is actually happening and that this isn't just Namco being cruel.

Mista Koo

They should release Soul Edge 2 just to mess with people.
SCV's designer wanted to name it that, but of course the higher ups shot it down.

Just remake Soul Edge please, I will be happy with that.
Nah. Li Long, Seong Mi-na, and Rock are inferior to their replacements. Just like Wang, Baek, and Bruce in Tekken (same countries too, coincidence?).
Also that game doesn't hold up. Played it a few years ago for nostalgic reasons.

HotHamBoy

SoulCalibur VI is now the final missing piece in the fighting game library on PS4.

Hopefully they bring back the favorites. And Team Battle.

Reading through this thread makes me sad that SC2 on GCN was actually the best selling version of SC2. People are more interesting in cameos than the actual games themselves.

Naw, man, the GC controller was excellent for that game.

My expectations are low. I sort of just expect another trailer for the Soul Calibur Pachislot, or maybe Soul Calibur 5 backwards compatible on Xbox One(if it isn't already backwards compatible).

If we do actually get some sort of trailer for a new Soul Calibur game, whether it's Soul Calibur 6 or a reboot of the first Soul Calibur, then I'd be a very happy man.

TDLink

SoulCalibur VI is now the final missing piece in the fighting game library on PS4.

Hopefully they bring back the favorites. And Team Battle.

I still don't get how this hasn't been brought back every time since SCII. Such a fun mode that is so easy to implement. Yet completely missing from the last few entries.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
PSX or the VGAs would have been nice places to announce something. I get the feeling this is going to get a low-key announcement and not receive nearly enough attention.

Hysteria

My favorite fighting game, the memories of me sitting around with my friends in the basement as I stomped with Ivy.

Soul Calibur II was most definitely my favorite.
Tira was a second favorite later on.

HotHamBoy

I still don't get how this hasn't been brought back every time since SCII. Such a fun mode that is so easy to implement. Yet completely missing from the last few entries.

They fucked it up in Tekken 6. It went to a loading screen between each round to change the stage. The pace was awful.

SC2 did it right. Same stage the whole way, rounds started instantly. If SC6 does bring back TB then they need to do it like that.

My favorite fighting game, the memories of me sitting around with my friends in the basement as I stomped with Ivy.

Soul Calibur II was most definitely my favorite.
Tira was a second favorite later on.

Certainly my favorite 3D fighting game franchise and easily my favorite fighter overall before I discovered my love for 2D fighters. You wanna talk a game that scales very well for casuals, SC is it.

Played the shit out of SC on Dreamcast. Played the shit out of SCII on Xbox and GameCube. SC2 is the best one. Great roster, fantastic single player and multiplayer modes. Fuck Create-A-Soul, that shit is dumb. Give me back Edgemaster and Team Battle!

I skipped SC3 because I didn't have a PS2 at the time. Was plenty salty about it being an exclusive. SCIV was the first PS3 game I bought. I got SCV, too, and I actually think it's the 2nd best game in the series after 2, despite the anemic modes and disappointing roster.

Taki 4 lyfe.

All I truly want is an awesome character creation system and a Chronicles of the Sword 2. Also bring back the 3D models when you select a character please. Don't like the cards that they used before.

Mista Koo

Fuck Create-A-Soul, that shit is dumb.
No. That mode is the main reason I spent hundreds of hours on SCV. Also the reason I learned to play all characters.

They should bring back that weird RTS mode from 3.
All I truly want is an awesome character creation system and a Chronicles of the Sword 2.
Yes.

Let it be more like SC4 and less SC5.
No. Unless we are speaking about the roster or how finished the game was.

No... but who needs Talim anyway?!
No. Just no.

Quit playing games with my heart!

Edit: didn't care for guest characters either.
I also hope there's no guest characters.

Just give me some super beefy single player content, and extensive Create a Soul mode, the entire SoulCalibur IV roster plus Hwang, Li Long, and some SCV standouts like ZWEI and Viola, and fix the mess made my SCV's story. Please Bamco.

AmyS

Soul Edge was 20 years ago ?

D:

Uh actually, the arcade version of Soul Edge on the PS1-based System 11 board was released in December 1995, so actually 21 years ago.

OIrx9wZ.jpg

vhRTiZX.jpg

RVt767C.jpg

Edit: beaten by SiegfriedFM.

Prototype

I'd only care if the story mode isn't rushed out like Soul Calibur V.
Ya, SCV was shitty

Single and multiplayer were terrible.
Character roster was terrible.
Super bar addition was terrible.
Guard impact costing meter was terrible.
The "story" was terrible

Hopefully they just reboot the entire series and start fresh again.

Shredderi

giphy.gif

Seriously don't fucking do this if you have no intentions on following up with a proper new title in the series. And absolutely have "create a soul" with extensive options. That shit is very good at pulling in customers. I know people myself included who only got the games because of that, only to then learn to like the core game itself and becoming a fan.

Man I used to be so good at Yoshimitsu back in dreamcast og xbox days. Then later he got dropped altogether, made me sad.

Here's to you, Yoshi, most enjoyable character in soul calibur. "Well done"

jett

D-Member
Is it happening?

Or should I expect crushing disappointment.

SC1 is still the most fun I had with this franchise. They should try and go for a reboot.

amdb00mer

Love me some Soul Calibur. I hope SC4 and SC5 make it to BC on X1 since SC and SC2 did. Although there is Disney and the Star Wars license with SC4 that may prevent it from becoming BC, even though it is still available digitally on X360/PS3.

Ogawa-san

Is it happening?

Or should I expect crushing disappointment.
Normally I'd expect nothing and to be disappointed anyway. But who knows, in the past couple years we had far unlikelier stuff announced, maybe Namco wants to join the nostalgia wave with a real SC.

I won't get my hopes up, Bamco has disappointed me too many times to count.

If we do get a SCVI I want a reset without the horrid characters and story from SCV. Bring back all the old favorites like Taki, Sophie, Seung Mina, Xiangua, Talim, Rock, etc.

YoungOne

It's nice they are atleast doing this, but I can't see them announcing a new game yet when t7 is still not out on console.

Triteon

I felt like V was really light on single player features.

Also put me down as a bit of a SC3 fanboy, I loved the RPG mode.

How anyone could be excited for a new Soul Calibur after V and Lost Souls lost the plot is beyond me.
I think I'll be apprehensive until they give me a reason not to be.

It's nice they are atleast doing this, but I can't see them announcing a new game yet when t7 is still not out on console.
I dunno, isn't T7 meant to be an early 2017 game? I could see a teaserish announcement now and info on the game after that's out.

Top Bottom