• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntMurda

Right. But that is my point. He already says he is working on "3 games". No game director at EAD works on 3 games at the same time. They work on one game 24/7. The producers/group manager work on 2 games at the same time at most.

Miyamoto being further removed from hands on development as the general manager "works on 20 games" at the same time. Thus, people get to worked up about "Miyamoto's New IP". All it really means is that someone at EAD is making a new game. It could be Steel Diver. Roling Western. Wii Music. Wii Play. There is nothing you can infer really.

When Miyamoto resigns from his position as General Manager from EAD. And goes into "training the next generation of younger developers at Nintendo". Maybe he will be closer to development then.

Right. But that is my point. He already says he is working on "3 games". No game director at EAD works on 3 games at the same time. They work on one game 24/7. The producers/group manager work on 2 games at the same time at most.

Miyamoto being further removed from hands on development as the general manager "works on 20 games" at the same time. Thus, people get to worked up about "Miyamoto's New IP". All it really means is that someone at EAD is making a new game. It could be Steel Diver. Roling Western. Wii Music. Wii Play. There is nothing you can infer really.

When Miyamoto resigns from his position as General Manager from EAD. And goes into "training the next generation of younger developers at Nintendo". Maybe he will be closer to development then.

"Inside our office, I've been recently declaring, 'I'm going to retire, I'm going to retire’," he told Wired. "I'm not saying that I'm going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position."

"What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself. Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers.

“Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small. I’m not intending to start from things that require a five-year development time. I’m interested in doing a variety of many other things.”

AntMurda

Right. You are agreeing with me right?

"Miyamoto will maintain his position as senior managing director, but he will be reducing his involvement in the development of games to train younger employees at the company. Additionally, he will continue to oversee major titles, but again, we assume this will primarily be in a supervisory capacity, as has been the case of late with games such as Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword."

Ken Toyoda, Miyamoto Translator.

sarusama

Yes, and they're ruled over by Executive Koala.

Holy shit an Executive Koala reference! High-five!

I understand that all this information is public, and the people are at fault for posting it in public venues, but this all is kinda stalkerish. I guess it would be less creepy if people weren't blowing it all out of proportion.

As for E3 expectations... man, I don't know if it's age or something else, but I've settled to just wait and see. Personally, I'm not expecting anything from Retro, just having finished up two games, their next one is certainly waaaay to early for a Nintendo E3 unveiling. Maybe it's just the job keeping me busy, so while I lurk here all the time, I'm still resilient to getting expectations

apana

Maybe crunch time doesn't refer to them having to finish the Zelda game but for having to prepare enough content to make a decent trailer that will be somehwat representative of the final product. I think we will have a short teaser to get us hyped at this E3 and then the real game two years from now.

Maybe crunch time doesn't refer to them having to finish the Zelda game but for having to prepare enough content to make a decent trailer that will be somehwat representative of the final product. I think we will have a short teaser to get us hyped at this E3 and then the real game two years from now.

Or probably they're not making a Zelda game

Alrus

Their next game won't be Zelda.

This. Crunch time doesn't just happen leading up to release- it also happens before other unmovable deadlines, such as when a developer needs to cobble together a demo or trailer for an important trade show.

Not sure on it being Zelda, though.

apana

Their next game won't be Zelda.

We have more proof for it then against it. Miyamoto made a statement about Retro perhaps handling Zelda and this guy was talking about his crowning achievement if I remember correctly. Unless it really was about illustrating his brother's book but what could his brother be creating that would qualify as a crowning achievement in someone's life?

remnant

Banned
We have more proof for it then against it. Miyamoto made a statement about Retro perhaps handling Zelda and this guy was talking about his crowning achievement if I remember correctly. Unless it really was about illustrating his brother's book but what could his brother be creating that would qualify as a crowning achievement in someone's life?
Yeah fuck working with family. Zelda is what really matters. :rolleyes

What proof? We have no proof of it

apana

Retro has to be working on something. Lets face it Nintendo wont let them make a new big budget IP, Metroid is being handled in Japan last I heard, and they themselves have made Zelda prototypes before. Add onto that Miyamoto suggesting Retro would be a good fit for Zelda and the new information we heard today and it all starts coming together. Obviously this is a thread about speculation, if you don't want to speculate then you can wait till E3.

We just HAD a Zelda game.

Our last F-ZERO game was on the GameCube.

Our last GOOD StarFox game was on the N64.

Our last good Metroid game was on the Wii, but we all know Retro + Metroid = win, so I wouldn't complain if they made another Metroid.

But don't make Zelda... We just had one of those.

The rumors that Retro was making a Shiek game could be interesting. Ocarina of Time adult ending era- Ganon breaks free of the seal, and Hyrule is without a Link because Zelda sent him back to the past. She must seek the help of the gods to imprison Ganon once again, this time beneath a vast sea...

Our last good Metroid game was on the Wii, but we all know Retro + Metroid = win, so I wouldn't complain if they made another Metroid.

But that one was kiddy was too colourful and had no compelling textures.
Only Retro can turn it into the visceral, bloody, mature experience the franchise has been begging for since the original.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This year being crunch could make for a Wii U launch title. It would all coincide nicely. A shift to a new engine on new hardware would usually increase development time though, so if it's a Wii U title I assume it will be something they're familiar with, either in franchise or genre.

3DS is always an option too, but I figure Nintendo may wish to make use of Retro as a resource for fancy looking games on the stronger Wii U hardware.

Whatever it is, E3 would be the time to announce it.

Star Fox is a design conundrum. There is a winning formula, but it results in a game that is too short to be considered worth $60 by today's consumer. Everything they've tried to do to make it a meatier experience has been poorly executed and ultimately rejected.

Personally, I'm still convinced that the mixture of air and foot missions attempted in Assault could turn out well if it was made as focused and action-oriented as the on rails sections. Its just a matter of finding a developer who gets it and can execute properly.

royalan

I doubt all of this.

1) I doubt they would hire a guy with this much experience in the technical field just to have him working on Retro's next big teaser trailer for next E3, which is about 5 months from now.

2) Whatever Retro's been working on they have been working on it since AT LEAST last summer.

3) Whatever they hired this guy for, the game would have already been vastly conceptualized by the time they did hire him. Just look at the relatively short time he was involved with the principle artwork for Uncharted 3 (less than 6 months). Chances are, the basics of this game were already set in stone by the time he was hired.

4) Nintendo NEEDS a major game for their launch, and Nintendo KNOWS this. Whatever this guy's working on, I'm willing to bet it's Retro's big entry into next gen, AND it's a launch window title.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dear internet: Remember the delight of a surprise announcement that came out of nowhere? Why must you toil so hard to rob everyone of that?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

If Retro is working on a Zelda the finished product won't release for years.

Your "we just had one of those" isn't going to last very long.

Retro

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am possibly probably not working on either a Pokemon MMO nor a Star Fox title with serious nods towards the Star Wars: Battlefront series (open-ended stages on land, air and space), but that it might possibly be cool if anyone bought this shtick for once.

On Topic: Retro Studios really could do just about anything, but I'm hoping it's an original IP that they can grow into without any kind of constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom