• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were trying to describe Retro Studios to someone who was a gamer but might not know a lot about the actual studios behind the games, the Metroid Prime games would be the first thing I mentioned.

It's a blog on gamasutra... How likely is it that the readers of that site don't know Retro made the Metroid Prime games?

This is the best Nintendo news in a while, but honestly the last thing Retro needed was artists. It's their Senior Designers who've been leaving. I'm more interested in who replaces them (Pearson and Wikan).

Hiltz

If I were trying to describe Retro Studios to someone who was a gamer but might not know a lot about the actual studios behind the games, the Metroid Prime games would be the first thing I mentioned.

Exactly. Speaking of crunch time, doesn' that usually refer to the year in which the game is planned to come out while facing issues like achieving milestones and meeting deadlines?

luffeN

I think it's the last big rush of work before the game is finished.
Wii U is coming out between E3 2012 and the end of 2012. They have five months till E3. Would that be enough crunch time to get ready for a June launch?

I've got it: What is MST3K and how many episodes are in the series? This is clearly the key to figuring out Wii U's launch window.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Science_Theater_3000

It's not going to launch in June...
June confirmed!

*Sigh*

Crunch time might not mean getting the game ready for launch - it could mean preparing the game for a playable demo or trailer.

GDC isn't too far off.

Hiltz

Retro's had over a year to start its next project but it's unlikely we'll see a June launch even if Retro received a Wii U dev kit in late 2010/early 2011.

luffeN

Retro's had over a year to start its next project but it's unlikely we'll see a June launch even if Retro received a Wii U dev kit in late 2010/early 2011.
I would like to see a summer launch (like sometimes in July) because of the summer holidays at Unversity, but I don't think that it is a good idea compared to releasing it near christmas.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, they guy mentioned "year". And to be honest, Crunch time can last a long while, depends how well development goes and how big the game is.

Jharp

Too bad Retro is only doing Nintendo stuff. They're such a fantastic company and I don't own or intend to own any nintendo consoles.

DreD

What else could "I am responsible for the Metroid games" mean?

Wut? Reading comprehension isn't really your strong suit, is it? He's saying that he's "employed at Retro Studio, [the studio] responsible for the Metroid [previous] games". That's as simple as that...

apana

Right monitor.

Top = Sky/clouds?
Bottom = 3rd person character on the left and house/s on the right?

iR6Nk.jpg

There is clearly a walkway on the bottom, probably older architecture, and and the top one seems to be a natural area. The clear indication I am getting is that they are working on a fantasy game.

No matter what Retro does the possiblities are incredible. Zelda with graphics better than what we've seen in God of War and Last Guardian, Starfox where each individual strand of fur has been modeled, Pikmin 3 with Pixar level graphics and mature storyline.

Are you joking?

royalan

Any articles on Retro recently? Particular their company culture? It would be interesting to see what Crunch Time means for them.

Of course, crunch time is a general phrase for the final stage of development (especially in software development), but depending on the dev it can be anything from "final round of additions that can take any amount of time to complete" to "bring a sleeping bag and a change of underwear because you're not leaving until this puppy's done."

Hell, some Japanese devs have been in crunch time for the past 2 years or so.

apana

Are you joking?

Perhaps.

Any articles on Retro recently? Particular their company culture? It would be interesting to see what Crunch Time means for them.

Of course, crunch time is a general phrase for the final stage of development (especially in software development), but depending on the dev it can be anything from "final round of additions that can take any amount of time to complete" to "bring a sleeping bag and a change of underwear because you're not leaving until this puppy's done."

What I like about Retro is that the studio is a fusion of western and eastern values. If they make Zelda we will likely get a large open overworld, exploration, and medieval fantasy elements along with the Japanese charm.

Being a Nintendo studio, it most likely means wrapping up production of the game itself and getting ready for polish time, which is probably at the very least another 4-6 months.

Wut? Reading comprehension isn't really your strong suit, is it? He's saying that he's "employed at Retro Studio, [the studio] responsible for the Metroid [previous] games". That's as simple as that...

There is no need to be a jackass. The sentence could very easily be read as "Now I am happily employed at Retro Studios and responsible for the Metroid games!"

But now that you point it out, I can see how it can be read the other way as well. (And now that you mention it, I think that is what he intended.) It's actually a poorly written sentence, but there is no need to debate, I agree that your reading is what he intended.

Crunch time means lots and lots of hours.

Also the over analysing of his desk actually had me in stitches.
He is not going to stick anything remotely related to a project he's working on there...

Just located his house in Austin, setting up some weather proof cameras outside now.
I'll be watching his activity about 9am till 6 pm, so I'll keep you posted.

Favourite food is nachos, from looking in his septic tank, and his card number ends in 281. Checked his bin and found shredded papers y'see.

Be back tomorrow for more desperate updates, GAF. I hear Nntendov ordered a large amount of office Duracell batteries recently. Pikmn's clearly well underway.

WillyFive

Too bad Retro is only doing Nintendo stuff. They're such a fantastic company and I don't own or intend to own any nintendo consoles.

If you reconsider your stance on owning Nintendo consoles, then you might be able to enjoy Retro games. Just a wild guess.

Terrell

Just located his house in Austin, setting up some weather proof cameras outside now.
I'll be watching his activity about 9am till 6 pm, so I'll keep you posted.

Favourite food is nachos, from looking in his septic tank, and his card number ends in 281. Checked his bin and found shredded papers y'see.

Be back tomorrow for more desperate updates, GAF. I hear Nntendov ordered a large amount of office Duracell batteries recently. Pikmn's clearly well underway.

Someone's clearly lost their marbles mid-troll.

Speaking of losing one's grip on sanity...

Eternal Darkness 2 with an HD remake of the original. Calling it.... NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom