• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

Retro is to me, along with Valve, the only studios that never disappointed me.
Even DCKR, when I though I was disappointed in my first play-trough, after another try I saw the genius behind it.

Whatever it is, it will be mine.

Rich!

Even DCKR, when I though I was disappointed in my first play-trough, after another try I saw the genius behind it.

Same. I was dissapointed when I first played through it.

...then I used the AR codes and played through it with my SNES classic controller. OH GOD IT WAS AMAZING

royalan

I want Retro to make a Zelda game because they've proven to me that, with the exception of maybe Monolith, they're the best Nintendo team when it comes to creating an immersive setting. And that's been one of my biggest complaints with the recent Zelda games.

If Retro created a Zelda, I have no doubt that they would create a large, believable Hyrule that felt like it was in peril.

methodman

Banned
Nintendo is probably the least adjusted to social media out of any company that i have seen... it's hilarious. taking a dude's twitter down? damn son

i thought we couldn't get a more pointless thread that accomplished less than the wii u ces one but here we are

How so?
We've learned that Retro is hiring for an obviously more "mature" (for late of a better word) game from this thread.
That and it's likely a launch period title.

Hiltz

New Twitter comment from Retro Studios employee:

“One of my co-workers brought in EVERY season of MST3K! Crunch time is going to be WAY more tolerable this year!” - former Naughty Dog/current Retro employee, Eric Kozlowsky

What project is he talking about though? He didn't work on DKCR as he was still working for Naughty Dog at the time. His portfolio on his resume says he was working on a project for Square Enix after he left Naughty Dog which was from November 2010 - March 2011 but the game isn't listed as being shipped.Apparently, it was a canceled XBLA/PSN game called Dropship.

i thought we couldn't get a more pointless thread that accomplished less than the wii u ces one but here we are

Maybe we should have a dedicated "Wii-U speculation for non-news" thread.

Wii-U at CES, like everyone already knew about! 1,100+ post topic

Retro Studios is making a game! Who would have thought, eh? 350+ post topic already

Nintendo is probably the least adjusted to social media out of any company that i have seen... it's hilarious. taking a dude's twitter down? damn son

The massive leaps of logic in most topics involving Nintendo are also quite hilarious...maybe people here were being idiots and spamming him with questions and stuff

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I would actually not be surprised if this is a new IP. It seems like Retro has been working for this for a long time. With Raven Blade and those other cancelled projects, I don't think Nintendo wanted to fund a new IP from Retro quite yet. I hope Nintendo has given them a chance to try out something new.

Then again it could just be Donkey Kong Country 2 for Wii U or maybe even Wii if crunchtime is this year. I hope it's something for Wii U though.

d0c_zaius

No matter what Retro does the possiblities are incredible. Zelda with graphics better than what we've seen in God of War and Last Guardian, Starfox where each individual strand of fur has been modeled, Pikmin 3 with Pixar level graphics and mature storyline.

How about we go with realistic expectations.

Hiring people that do more realistic art styles means it probably isn't another DKC.

yeahhhh, I still wouldn't lean too heavily on that branch there, AceBandage. DKC's main aesthetic is the realistic/naturalistic environments(at least for the technology available).

A.KU.MU

Banned
Maybe he closed it because of the desk photo? There is a covered magazine, glares on the computer screen, blurred out poster in the background, etc.

Quick, someone work some magic! Reggie failed to deliver!

Right monitor.

Top = Sky/clouds?
Bottom = 3rd person character on the left and house/s on the right?

iR6Nk.jpg

Darryl

Banned
he probably deleted his twitter because he was caught uploading secret hints about his current project to the outside world (zelda)

Aside from his awesome desk trinket collection including - Totoro, Sackboy, Brutal Legend merch, Wall-E, Nemesis, an old school Gameboy, Gameboy Micro, a virtual boy, the power glove, drake, some dog tags and a gold Legend of Zelda cartridge etc -- all I could really get out of the image was this:

gBeSe.jpg

Looks like a castle. Could be absolutely nothing to do with his work though... he's taken the trouble to cover up the magazine and fold the paper, and basically leave nothing on show so...

Hiltz

Oh dear, now everyone is going to think it has to be Metroid Prime 4. What's Sakamoto to do? Would Nintendo really go back to the Prime games ? DKC Returns sold much more than any of the Prime titles.

royalan

What else could "I am responsible for the Metroid games" mean?

If I were trying to describe Retro Studios to someone who was a gamer but might not know a lot about the actual studios behind the games, the Metroid Prime games would be the first thing I mentioned.

WillyFive

No, you cannot tell anything from those pictures.

The contrast is all a mess, the brightness is too high to recover anything, and even if we found out what it was, we wouldn't know what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom