• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
This is fantastic news. Not only is Miyamoto working on a new IP, but so is Retro (potentially). Wii U going to have a solid showing at E3 this year with these two games and Pikmin 3

Big One

Banned
As has already been said, what is wrong with all of you?

I don't see what's so bad about being exiting that Retro is developing a new game.

As for hoping they develop Zelda, well everyone has their hopes and dreams I suppose, but it very unlikely as Aonuma has hinted that they just started on the next two iterations of Zelda (3DS and Wii U). If Retro was involved they would've been involved about a year ago once they finish DKCR.

Bullza2o

This is fantastic news. Not only is Miyamoto working on a new IP, but so is Retro (potentially). Wii U going to have a solid showing at E3 this year with these two games and Pikmin 3

What if both new games are connected to each other --or they're the same thing?

RPGCrazied

Metroid! :p

After Other M, the series is in need of help. Don't get me wrong, I liked Other M, just no where near Prime in sheer epicness.

Big One

Banned
No one feels bad that they probably got this guy to shut down his twitter because he was getting harassed about whatever they're developing?
"Harassed"? Interesting take there...but no, I don't feel bad, because he should've never mentioned something of that sort if he didn't want to get questioned about it. People tease shit all the time to get that very result. All it does is bring hype and that's the main purpose.

Game-Biz

"Crunch time" may simply refer to having a playable build by E3. And...I'd be shocked if it was Zelda. Either Metroid Prime or a new IP.

A new Donkey Kong would make the most business sense, but they said that it's not in the works. But they could be lying...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Miyamoto's New IP
Retro's New IP
EAD Tokyo's Mario
Silicon Knight's Eternal Darkness 2
Monolith's New RPG
New Super Mario Bros Mii

Throw in some third party support/apps/causal games/etc and you have Nintendo's 2012 E3 (minus 3DS coverage).

BELIEVE.

MY BODY IS READY.

Yes. Something is wrong with me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I actually think there may be a lot of cross talent swapping between Retro and Vigil. I think they're the two biggest (only?) developers out of Austin, TX right now.

Miyamoto's New IP
Retro's New IP
EAD Tokyo's Mario
Monolith's New RPG
New Super Mario Bros Mii

Throw in some third party support/apps/causal games/etc and you have Nintendo's 2012 E3 (minus 3DS coverage).

BELIEVE.

MY BODY IS READY.

With Eternal Darkness 2 on that list, more like something right.

ace3skoot

No matter what Retro does the possiblities are incredible. Zelda with graphics better than what we've seen in God of War and Last Guardian, Starfox where each individual strand of fur has been modeled, Pikmin 3 with Pixar level graphics and mature storyline.

Hyperballing much :p

AntMurda

Can we not let the "miyamoto is working on a new ip" meme again get out of hand. I think it is clear enough that Miyamoto is General Manager of 500 man division and is always "supervising or general managing" the entire portfolio of games being worked on by EAD.

And that new project Miyamoto is supervising, is probably Battle Mii/Chase Mii. Unless this is the game outside of EAD he is working on with a younger team.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can we not let the "miyamoto is working on a new ip" meme again get out of hand. I think it is clear enough that Miyamoto is General Manager of 500 man division and is always "supervising or general managing" the entire portfolio of games being worked on by EAD.

And that new project Miyamoto is supervising, is probably Battle Mii/Chase Mii. Unless this is the game outside of EAD he is working on with a younger team.

How is that a meme? Miyamoto really is working on something new.

Miyamoto's New IP
Retro's New IP
EAD Tokyo's Mario
Monolith's New RPG
New Super Mario Bros Mii

BELIEVE.

MY BODY IS READY.

Hey guy, you forgot F-Zero.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1215962p1.html

El Sloth

Banned
Just located his house in Austin, setting up some weather proof cameras outside now.
I'll be watching his activity about 9am till 6 pm, so I'll keep you posted.

Favourite food is nachos, from looking in his septic tank, and his card number ends in 281. Checked his bin and found shredded papers y'see.
I laughed.

But seriously, guys. Chill a bit. They'll announce the game eventually.

Also, from July 2010
http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1103322p1.html

After listing these activities, he gave some solid hints about some of his upcoming plans. "I think that next year I can probably deliver something new," he said. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I go to sleep and wake up to Gaffers ruining twitter accounts.

Goddamnit.

Exactly. Speaking of crunch time, doesn' that usually refer to the year in which the game is planned to come out while facing issues like achieving milestones and meeting deadlines?

I am no developer, but most milestones are before they reach alpha, which is feature complete and long past the art stage. Crunch is getting stability, optimizing and bug breaking. At least that was my interpretation of it, unless there is shitty management.

Margalis

Banned
What is this thread even about? Some people who worked at one place now work at a different place?

Breaking news: people change jobs!

Alienups

I'd be cool with a sequel to Eternal Darkness

Even though i never managed to finish the first because there was something wrong with my disc

Steaks

They're looking for contract designers too haha.

I've contemplated applying... but it doesn't sound like an easy adjustment to move out there on the drop of a dime for a contract position.

Edit: More because of the living situation than anything... finding non-lease housing is a bit rough.

What is this thread even about? Some people who worked at one place now work at a different place?

Breaking news: people change jobs!

The type of people they are looking for an the fact that they are entering "crunch time" is quite interesting, actually.

Ravidrath

As someone that knows Koz, I cannot tell you how simultaneously hilarious and creepy this thread is to me.

Also, I haven't read the entire thread, but in case someone hadn't yet made the connection, this is the same guy that was laid off from "Project Dropship" at Square's incredibly short-lived LA studio.

He's a super-rad guy and a great artist, so don't scare him out of the industry, please. I'd like to work with him some day.

As someone that knows Koz, I cannot tell you how simultaneously hilarious and creepy this thread is to me.

Also, I haven't read the entire thread, but in case someone hadn't yet made the connection, this is the same guy that was laid off from "Project Dropship" at Square's incredibly short-lived LA studio.

He's a super-rad guy and a great artist, so don't scare him out of the industry, please. I'd like to work with him some day.

Squeeze him for info...
Please?

I'll pay you two thousand British pounds to break into his house and steal his laptop.

It's kind of funny that the OT is less creepy than Gaming these days.

Don't harass the friend of an artist for information on a game you will find out about in six months at the latest.

Ravidrath

Squeeze him for info...
Please?

OK, he says that the picture on his monitor is a website called Dead End Thrills.

...Am I doing this right?

Seriously, Nintendo is EXTREMELY secretive, and their employees won't talk about anything. Even if it's already been announced.

Way to make him delete his Twitter account, though, guys. :\

Steaks

I actually just read through the thread now.

Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

Applying seems like a terrible idea now.

GAF scares me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom