• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Jingo

Im in the final region and im starting to feel the fatigue, i dont think doing every submission and twilight along side the campaign helped, they are way repetitive with little incentive, a lot of time also in the inventory between missions, i think ill take a 2 day break , eheh

Mentok

Banned
Im in the final region and im starting to feel the fatigue, i dont think doing every submission and twilight along side the campaign helped, they are way repetitive with little incentive, a lot of time also in the inventory between missions, i think ill take a 2 day break , eheh

YeahI tried jumping in to do a new build, but I have other games on my backlog so I think I'll palate cleanse before jumping back in. I wish there was a way to share between builds, I got an awesome divine spear drop, but unfortunately not a weapon I'm using right now.

Didn't plan this, but today's grinding session put me at level 420.

330 levels left which means around 30 runs.
So in about a week...or this weekend if I really feel like it...I should be level 750.

hyp

Didn't plan this, but today's grinding session put me at level 420.

330 levels left which means around 30 runs.
So in about a week...or this weekend if I really feel like it...I should be level 750.

what missions are you running to level up so fast? i'm almost to 200 but it's been taking forever, probably because i haven't optimized my build either.

i fought a lvl 400+ rev earlier. first time seeing someone so high. he had super armor and didn't give a shit about anything. was fun fighting him with water all around me.

Mentok

Banned
How do I open up the later 3 region NG+ missions? Completing just the main missions, or do I have to do them all? Or is NG+ just the first 3 regions?

Thanks!
i fought a lvl 400+ rev earlier. first time seeing someone so high. he had super armor and didn't give a shit about anything. was fun fighting him with water all around me.

Get your toughness to 200 and you too can have super armor and not give a shit about anything :D.

How do I open up the later 3 region NG+ missions? Completing just the main missions, or do I have to do them all? Or is NG+ just the first 3 regions?

Look at the progress bar on the lower right of the world map. Completing missions fills it out and when you fill out a segment you get another region. Not sure if it's just main missions that fill it out.

What are some of the Onmyou spells good synergy with a Tengen Kujaku build?

I'm guessing full elemental buff, extraction and Pleiades ?

what missions are you running to level up so fast? i'm almost to 200 but it's been taking forever, probably because i haven't optimized my build either.

The penultimate story mission lv310, "The
Demon King
Revealed".
With the right gear and build I get 11 levels (the cap for a level is set at 10M amrita) most of the time per sub-10 minutes run.

Look on youtube for a build named Susanoo, I'm doing almost the same thing (I specialized my amrita gains to yokai only because I get 2% more per piece with those)

Mentok

Banned
Got the platinum today! It was confusing because I had completed all missions, submissions and twilight missions, but still no trophy. I had to do the dojo missions for it to unlock.

That being said, I lied. I'm not ready to start a new build, I want to max this one out lol. This game is addictive!

EDIT: I'm confused about how Divine weapons increase. Once I'm at +2, I need another +2 to move on to +3, then at +3 I'll need another +3 to move on to +4, etc. correct? I ask because I have quite a few +1s but all my gear is higher than that.

Got the platinum today! It was confusing because I had completed all missions, submissions and twilight missions, but still no trophy. I had to do the dojo missions for it to unlock.

That being said, I lied. I'm not ready to start a new build, I want to max this one out lol. This game is addictive!

EDIT: I'm confused about how Divine weapons increase. Once I'm at +2, I need another +2 to move on to +3, then at +3 I'll need another +3 to move on to +4, etc. correct? I ask because I have quite a few +1s but all my gear is higher than that.

I did the same thing. Didn't do a dojo mission on the current character, and here I was expecting more twilight missions or something.

Combining the same +# gear is how you upgrade it, yes. If you have a bunch of lower # items, you can combine them to the number you need (4 +1 items to make a +3 etc), but obviously it will cost a lot of gold. Upgrading using the same weapon weapon type is much cheaper, even less so due to the fact that there won't be a huge level difference (150, or eventually 160) driving up costs.

Mentok

Banned
I did the same thing. Didn't do a dojo mission on the current character, and here I was expecting more twilight missions or something.

Combining the same +# gear is how you upgrade it, yes. If you have a bunch of lower # items, you can combine them to the number you need (4 +1 items to make a +3 etc), but obviously it will cost a lot of gold. Upgrading using the same weapon weapon type is much cheaper, even less so due to the fact that there won't be a huge level difference (150, or eventually 160) driving up costs.

Got it, thanks! Wait....there's level 160?! Damn it!

I'm torn between Atlas Bear or Suzaku as a GS. Got a fire kusarigama as my main, and have maxed both Suzaku and Atlas Bear.

taybul

Feeling a little the same. I hate that I'm basically just rushing through this game at this point. I haven't followed the story at all.

Got it, thanks! Wait....there's level 160?! Damn it!

I'm torn between Atlas Bear or Suzaku as a GS. Got a fire kusarigama as my main, and have maxed both Suzaku and Atlas Bear.

Don't worry about 160 at all. You can't get it until you finish NG+, and it'll take a bunch of forging to acquire. The good thing is that when you do get a 160, you can just soul match it with your best/favorite 150 +#, and it'll update it to 160, while keeping the +#.

Mentok

Banned
Quick question, is there any way of getting the smithing text for the Visitor's Dragon or Nue masks? I picked them up off of revenants and they look awesome, but I really don't want to break up my set so I just want to refashion.

brawly

What the hell is this, I can't download the game anymore. Doesn't show up anywhere. It says "not available for purchase" in the store and there's no way to download it from the library.

edit: it worked through the browser store. Weird.

Veelk

Banned
I am FINALLY on the Nioh train. Just passed the prologue and the first mission. I have a few questions:

I didn't fully explore the area of the prologue chapter because I had no idea I was going to encounter a boss at the top of the castle, so did I miss anything good?

For those that have done them, when should I do the twilight missions? I played the demo's when they came out and I have a preorder armor set (more because it looks nice, but the stat bonus' help too), so the game's been pretty easy so far.

Do the other starter pokemon guardian spirits become available later on? I picked the hawk, but wanted to try out the others too.

Lastly, I want to be a straight up Samurai, so it's all Katana's and Dual Katana's for me. So I've been investing in heart, skill, and spirit. Is there anything I should be aware of to invest or not invest in?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am FINALLY on the Nioh train. Just passed the prologue and the first mission. I have a few questions:

1- I didn't fully explore the area of the prologue chapter because I had no idea I was going to encounter a boss at the top of the castle, so did I miss anything good?

2- For those that have done them, when should I do the twilight missions? I played the demo's when they came out and I have a preorder armor set (more because it looks nice, but the stat bonus' help too), so the game's been pretty easy so far.

3- Do the other starter pokemon guardian spirits become available later on? I picked the hawk, but wanted to try out the others too.

4- Lastly, I want to be a straight up Samurai, so it's all Katana's and Dual Katana's for me. So I've been investing in heart, skill, and spirit. Is there anything I should be aware of to invest or not invest in?

Nice! Have fun.

1) You didn't miss out much as far as I remember. Don't worry about it.
2) Whenever they are available, honestly. The rotation thing is a bit annoying. If they are available and you are severely underlevelled for them, maybe wait, if you're just a couple of levels under, try them anyway, they'll be a good challenge.
3) Yep, you'll catch get 'em all.
4) I did the same, didn't look at the other weapons at all. :D I did use a BIT of magic as support but not much (just weapon buffs and some debuffs). Heart and Skill are your best friends. Body is OK to pump your HP every now and then, and Stamina to unlock better armour if you are interested in that. Strength is OK to level up every now and then (you get some OK damage gains sometimes, though it'll primarily be Heart and Skill) since it also unlocks some better armour.

For the bottom stats, up to you. I never levelled up Spirit much, only to maybe 10 in total for the Guardian's passive bonuses as I rarely used Living Weapon. Magic/Dex only if you want to use magic/ninjutsu as support. Though keep in mind that there are some optional dojo missions that have minimum stat requirements on those (all the way to 20 in the last missions), so that's annoying if you are a completist, but what I did is use the reincarnation scroll to re-spec after I was done with them.

hyp

The penultimate story mission lv310, "The
Demon King
Revealed".
With the right gear and build I get 11 levels (the cap for a level is set at 10M amrita) most of the time per sub-10 minutes run.

Look on youtube for a build named Susanoo, I'm doing almost the same thing (I specialized my amrita gains to yokai only because I get 2% more per piece with those)

cool, that susanoo build looks pretty insane. unfortunately i'd have to gear up again so it will have to wait. i'm almost at a +10 with all my current armor and weapons.

Veelk

Banned
For the bottom stats, up to you. I never levelled up Spirit much, only to maybe 10 in total for the Guardian's passive bonuses as I rarely used Living Weapon. Magic/Dex only if you want to use magic/ninjutsu as support. Though keep in mind that there are some optional dojo missions that have minimum stat requirements on those (all the way to 20 in the last missions), so that's annoying if you are a completist, but what I did is use the reincarnation scroll to re-spec after I was done with them.

Thanks for the answers.

It's good that they have respec in the game, I forgot to ask about that, but I feel a lot less anxious about my choices if I know I can change them. Though knowing me, I'm going to do what I did in the souls games and pump points into everything, as usual.

Other than that, are there going to be more weapon types? Giant swords, scythes, etc?

Curufinwe

The boss of The Inheritance submission (level 132) killed me, but when I revived he was dead and I could just finish the mission.

16jqk.png

Feels so good.

And that's without digital sales for Nioh, not to mention single platform.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1353120

Veelk

Banned
I just looked up the weapons and there are no giant swords.

I...I think I need to take a moment to process this.

No giant swords in a fantasy japanese action RPG.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

You won't miss them. I say this as someone who wields all the impossibly large swords in the "Soulsborne" games.

The biggest Katana I found belongs to a late game boss. It's no Washing pole but it's still pretty big!

Dio

Banned
And done. Game beaten.

Of fucking course
Yamata no Orochi is the final boss

Tecmo Koei's Oda Nobunaga and Yamata no Orochi fetish just had to win out in the very end. Was a cool sequence though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Are there any repercussions from dueling a revenant of the same color? And speaking of colors, I've been dueling revenants of the opposite color exclusively, but I'm​ checking my online info (on the status menu) and under Clan Battle Data the Glory Contributed is still zero.

Bear in mind that so far, my duels have been in single player sub-missions... Am I doing it wrong?!

Are there any repercussions from dueling a revenant of the same color? And speaking of colors, I've been dueling revenants of the opposite color exclusively, but I'm​ checking my online info (on the status menu) and under Clan Battle Data the Glory Contributed is still zero.

Bear in mind that so far, my duels have been in single player sub-missions... Am I doing it wrong?!

You just get half the amount of glory fighting same-color and non-affiliated revenants that you would fighting those wearing the opposing color.

I *think* the clan results only get updated when you return to the map.

Deku Tree

They may be saving Giant Swords for one of the new weapon types in the DLC.

Use an Axe if you like Giant Swords.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You just get half the amount of glory fighting same-color and non-affiliated revenants that you would fighting those wearing the opposing color.

I *think* the clan results only get updated when you return to the map.
I hope you're right on both, as they're the best case scenarios​ as far as I'm concerned.

Hybris

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's the GDC2017 presentation on Nioh. It was interesting to hear their thoughts on the many alpha/beta iterations they did.

Link

orkanamn

Banned
doesn't have to be online, just on your friends list.
And just reenter/restart the mission until I see him? Not sure if I should give up yet lol.

Edit: I think he has too high level.

Did you join the clan before or after the start of the clan battle 3/14? I think I didn't contribute until my second week, maybe it was because I chose to transfer in the middle of it. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's the GDC2017 presentation on Nioh. It was interesting to hear their thoughts on the many alpha/beta iterations they did.

Link

Oh hell yes. This looks like it'll be a cool watch.

EDIT: Fucking lol. Fumihiko Yasuda learned terms such as "waifu", "weeaboo", and "git gud" as Team Ninja looked at feedback.

EDIT 2: Ayyy, neogaf and reddit shout outs at around 37-38 minutes in.

IvorB

So Two Kings done. That was some controller-smashing sh*t honestly. I don't know if it was being under the recommended level but that was really f**king hard. Going straight into
Nobu and Ice Lady
after that seemed a bit much to be honest so I have been doing a bit of Way of the Strong instead. Trying to get my head around all the new gear options. I think I will try some multiplayer this weekend but no idea how that works.

RexNovis

Banned
Is 230k high for a US sales?

Obviously I'm not expecting CoD numbers but I have no reference for games like this lol

Well it's better than Demon's Souls sold when it first came out but not quite as much as Dark Souls debuted with. So if anything it bodes well for the inevitable sequel with all the positive WOM.

Now that we know that 230k includes digital it is blatantly obvious that Sony skimped out on retail stock big time which is really really frustrating. At least these sales mean they won't make the same mistake with the next one... hopefully.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Link
Nice, thanks for linking this! Watching now.

Also will be online later on PSN for some coop sex sessions if anyone wants to cheese NG+ levels/grind for better loot. I'm too lazy to +10 everything and am pretty much just helping people out/waiting on DLC lol.

Late Flag

So Two Kings done. That was some controller-smashing sh*t honestly. I don't know if it was being under the recommended level but that was really f**king hard. Going straight into
Nobu and Ice Lady
after that seemed a bit much to be honest so I have been doing a bit of Way of the Strong instead. Trying to get my head around all the new gear options. I think I will try some multiplayer this weekend but no idea how that works.

Do people generally find those "two bosses at the same time" submissions easier after they've leveled their gear up in NG+? I'm now hitting for nearly twice what I was doing at the end of the game, so I would think that I would be pretty well-placed for those two missions (the NG versions, not the NG+ versions). Haven't tried them yet, though.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, playing more of the game, how useful is the blacksmith supposed to be? I feel there is zero point to either buying or forging weapons since I get more and more of them like candy every time I go on a mission.

I like soul matching my weapon because that means I don't have to give up the sword that I like, but soul forging armor doens't feel worth it at all. Law of diminishing returns hit this thing HARD and just making my armor a couple points stronger costs tens of thousands of coins.

It's been pretty easy so far. Once you get into the rhythm of the game, you can counter almost anything with basic dodging. The only one that gave me problems so far was the electric cat, but not for too long.

I also have to say that this is just a flat out ugly game outside some character and monster designs. The level aesthetics in particular aren't great, which is a shame because that's one of the best things about the Souls series and they have lots of ways to make Japan beautiful. There's also the story aspect which is...lol, I wasn't expecting it to be good, but even the way they lay out scenes is just baffling at times. I wonder if the japanese developers know how bizzarely juxtaposing it is to see a goth fantasy wizard named something so ordinary like "Edward Kelley"

Top Bottom