• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time (DS, 3DS) will be like Zelda 2

Boney

Banned
*sigh* I had forgotten about this... Is it even announced yet? The show is broadcast on several European countries, but I don't think it's "big" on any of them.

Worst case scenario, at least the DS version is region free.

But yeah I feels you man

Wasn't there already an iOS game of RS? It's a beat'em up.

Yeah, but I don't consider it a beat'em up. Rows of zombies are coming after you and you throw various items at them to kill them. You also get power ups in the form of other characters from the show. Fun game, but not much to it.

Yet another thing from that WayForward interview featured today:

http://www.nintendojo.com/features/interviews/e3-2012-interview-with-wayforward
ND: Was [a top-down game development approach] the case with the Adventure Time video game?

Voldi: That one was actually very collaborative with [Adventure Time creator] Pendleton Ward because he had been tweeting about game designs forever, you know, like, “Oh I want it to be Zelda meets, you know, whatever,” so that one was very collaborative. And he actually has really good gameplay sensibilities too, you know, but he and Matt Bozon would just go on these sprees where they would just kind of work out what was happening. So yeah, that one’s been pretty fun. I wouldn’t say that one was as bottom-up. That one, he had come up with a story, like the garbage stealing thing, and he probably drew it on a napkin. I don’t know actually. He’s so funny because almost any email he sends there’s a picture attached, like some little sketch of, you know, Finn doing a thumbs up or something.

In other words, instead of WayForward's typical work-for-hire games where they have a story, a setting, etc. and design a game around it, here they design the game first, then added the story. Plus, it's being worked closely with the Adventure Time creator himself, who seems cool, I guess. lol.

Skilletor

Was going to buy this on DS because of XL. I will now get it on 3DS because of XL.

Looks frikking great! :D

Adventure Time is so amazing. Was hoping it would be like Zelda. This isn't the Zelda I was hoping for, but it's something.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Man, this makes me want a really good Phineas and Ferb game.

Oooooh, that could use a LOT the touch screen, just to invent everything you have in the head.

...And now I've even figured out the best developers for something like it, 5th Cell, but they're with WB now :(

This is too perfect for words.

Some kind of bizarre retro game challenge clone is the first thing that springs to mind
I like this. It's a lot better than the beat 'em up idea, which is kind of an overplayed generic "safe" genre for licensed games to do.

Mr. F

Banned
Stoked for this. I was afraid the show was going to wear out its welcome but it keeps getting better and better with each season.

Amir0x

Banned
Legal scans!

Way Forward is on a roll today.

Edit: Here are the screenshots from Nintendo Everything.

adventure_time-2.jpg

adventure_time-3.jpg

oh.

my.

GLOB.

I am so fucking getting this game with the "will be like Zelda 2" info on top.

Adventure Time = rad
Zelda 2 = rad
Adventure Time + Zelda 2 = ???

Alchemy

I'm in for two. I still want them to do a full 3D open world Adventure Time game that re-purposes the episodes of the series as quests, but I'll take this.

Slime

Banned
I don't even watch this show, but I need this game. Looks beautiful and I've been craving a new take on Zelda II for a while.

I'm happy to see so much Zelda II love here on GAF. I just recently downloaded Zelda II on VC and the game finally "clicked" with me, now I'm in love. The game is still hard as balls though.

Adventure Time is one of those shows that I've been meaning to get into since I really enjoyed what few episodes I've caught, so I'll probably pick this up if the impressions are positive.

What a swell-looking article! I can't wait to read the whole thing when I buy my issue of Nintendo Power! I think we should all buy a copy!
If I could buy the magazine in Australia Phil I would, I would.

I haven't watched nearly as much Adventure Time as I should (only the first episode) but what I've watched I've loved and this looks amazing, will be all over this.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sweet that it will have top down parts and quests, they're not just hyping slight bits of RPG-like progressions, heart increases, etc.

Shame there are no screens of those bits.

Was going to buy this on DS because of XL. I will now get it on 3DS because of XL.

Looks frikking great! :D

Adventure Time is so amazing. Was hoping it would be like Zelda. This isn't the Zelda I was hoping for, but it's something.

We have enough of about every other type of Zelda. We don't have enough Zelda 2.

Top Bottom