• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Fou-Lu

OP doesn't mention this, but there's a lengthy demo of vanilla Dragon's Dogma on PSN Store/XBL [it's 3600 mb].

In case you want to see if the game is up your alley before buying it.

I can't see myself disliking it, but that's probably a good idea to give the demo a shot, since no one can seem to agree on what other games it has similarties to. I've heard the game being compared to Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, Dragon Age and PSO, but each time someone would disagree, it's kind of amusing actually.

Shinta

Banned
I can't see myself disliking it, but that's probably a good idea to give the demo a shot, since no one can seem to agree on what other games it has similarties to. I've heard the game being compared to Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, Dragon Age and PSO, but each time someone would disagree, it's kind of amusing actually.

Kind of has some of the artistic sensibility and lighting of Dark Souls. The pawn system is also a clever way to throw in some online interactivity in a single player game, like DS.

The large monsters and combat of Monster Hunter, mixed with DMC.

And has really nothing at all in common with Dragon Age or Phantasy Star.

ironcreed

Banned
I really hope Dark Arisen nails the feeling of descending deeper and deeper into darkness, with traps and enemies that get deadlier the further down you go. A giant descending dungeon that goes straight into the abyss. That is the way it is supposed to be structured, so it will be amazing if done right.

Arucardo

Oh wow, I had no idea you actually keep the augments from the other classes (I guess I didn't notice when I switched from fighter to warrior) :eek: . Now I have a very good reason to try other classes.

Need to go back to max out fighter and try the ranged classes next.

Elfish

oops It's in the OP apparently

People with data from their adventures in Dragon's Dogma can transfer it to Dark Arisen and continue on from where they left off, or start over and experience the game from the beggining with all the new enhancements. Transferring over your data also give you a bunch of bonuses for doing so, namely 100,000 RC, unlimited Ferrystones and a bunch of costumes/armor sets.

unlimited Ferrystones :D

Eusis

I was wondering this too in the DD OT and apparently you can keep on going right from where you left it in the original.
It's part of why I'm going to stick with my copy until it's time to trade.

Well, and the fact I'm only getting $10 now rather than $30.

Kyoufu

I hate that 350 weapons/armour trophy. I'm low on cash and I'm at like 250 or something

Same thing for those 50 notice board quests, I don't really like doing notice board quests.

Kinda disappointed this expansion probably won't have trophies though... I know trophies/achievements are considered an extra, but I like having new trophies when I play DLC/expansions.

Gotta farm Ur-Dragon for gold. That's my plan anyway.

Eusis

I've used about 1000 per summon, but that's because I'd like to grab random people and those on my friends list are overpowered.

On that note, really wish the PSN supported a MUCH longer one on PS3 just to round up a ton of people and share pawns that way.

Cant wait to get back into this.

i fucking love this game...hopefully the new content is good.

They say it's best to be at level 50 or so right?

CTRL+F PC... 1 result...

IgMyx.gif

Capcom... :(

LOL!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Waiting for concrete proof from multiple sources in reference to ps3 framerate. If it's better I'm in

I don't have DA yet but it definitely feels improved for me playing now compared to launch day. Just all around snappier and the only real slowdown comes from fire/magic effects that fill the screen. What's odd to me tho ... there are certain locations and points in the world where it goes from standard 25/30 when nothing is going on to freakishly buttery smooth. Like... up above 30 for sure. Not sure if anyone else has started experiencing this but it's kind of odd and totally jarring/noticeable. Can't wait for a next gen DD...

Unity2012

I am kind of surprise not many people are talking about the HD Texture pack on the second disc. It might be only for the Xbox360 and probably already included on the BD in the PS3. It will be nice to see some comparison images from the Vanilla version to this one.

I am kind of surprise not many people are talking about the HD Texture pack on the second disc. It might be only for the Xbox360 and probably already included on the BD in the PS3. It will be nice to see some comparison images from the Vanilla version to this one.
Going by what Nemesis said in the other thread, I suspect those are just the regular textures from vanilla, which were taken off the main disc so that the Dark Arisen content could fit on it (and replaced with really shitty textured on that disc). You'll want to install the "HD Textures" immediately.

Going by what Nemesis said in the other thread, I suspect those are just the regular textures from vanilla, which were taken off the main disc so that the Dark Arisen content could fit on it (and replaced with really shitty textured on that disc). You'll want to install the "HD Textures" immediately.

Definitely hope that's not the case. Guess we won't know for sure until we try ourselves!

Even if it looks the same, I don't give a crap, fun game is fun.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I actually know very little about the game since release, but I figure this is the perfect time to jump in. I'm in a dark fantasy withdrawal after helping a friend with Dark Souls.

oops It's in the OP apparently

People with data from their adventures in Dragon's Dogma can transfer it to Dark Arisen and continue on from where they left off, or start over and experience the game from the beggining with all the new enhancements. Transferring over your data also give you a bunch of bonuses for doing so, namely 100,000 RC, unlimited Ferrystones and a bunch of costumes/armor sets.

unlimited Ferrystones :D

I keep trying to start my game prematurely, but I'll probably just wait it out until Tuesday when I'll just restart after porting my data.

Damn, now I'm getting caught up in the hype suddenly. I've tried avoiding it even though this is one of my favorite games, but I might have to pull the trigger now. ;_;

I'm excited GAF. I've been waiting for Dark Arisen to play this game. Local store near me always breaks street dates and God Bless them.

You're so lucky! My local store got it as well, but keeping it back for street date ;____;

Enjoy :)

I actually know very little about the game since release, but I figure this is the perfect time to jump in. I'm in a dark fantasy withdrawal after helping a friend with Dark Souls.

I envy all of you first time players. Wish I could play it again for the first time. Have fun!

Damn, now I'm getting caught up in the hype suddenly. I've tried avoiding it even though this is one of my favorite games, but I might have to pull the trigger now. ;_;

I'll be there for you. <3

abundant

100 000 RC??? That feels like cheating :\

If you played the game when it launched and your pawn was regularly used, then when you load up the safe, rest at an Inn, you're going to get close to a million RC easily, so if you are using a saved character, then the extra RC won't matter because you will be drowning in them.

Is the trophy list for this game all new or does it use the base list for Dragon's Dogma? Would hope I wouldn't have to use the orignal release to get the last few trophies for the platinum.
White Knight Chronicles for example included the orignal game but only have one trophy list for both games that was separate from the first game's list.

Exciting though, will be getting this sometime soon although I didn't know it was out next week. Even if the game was to get a PC release I'd like to continue/finish the story of my PS3 character.

nataku

Did we ever find out what level the island is appropriate for?

I'm debating just starting a new game when DA arrives.

abundant

Is the trophy list for this game all new or does it use the base list for Dragon's Dogma? Would hope I wouldn't have to use the orignal release to get the last few trophies for the platinum.
White Knight Chronicles for example included the orignal game but only have one trophy list for both games that was separate from the first game's list.

Exciting though, will be getting this sometime soon although I didn't know it was out next week. Even if the game was to get a PC release I'd like to continue/finish the story of my PS3 character.

There's no new trophy list. Capcom just renamed the Dragon's Dogma trophy list to Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. There are apparently no new trophies either.

Did we ever find out what level the island is appropriate for?

I'm debating just starting a new game when DA arrives.

Level 50

There's no new trophy list. Capcom just renamed the Dragon's Dogma trophy list to Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. There are apparently no new trophies either.

Level 50

Oh wow, that's bizarre. At the very least I'd expect a host of new dlc trophies. Oh well, won't stop me from playing it obviously.

Oh wow, that's bizarre. At the very least I'd expect a host of new dlc trophies. Oh well, won't stop me from playing it obviously.
I guess it's not really DLC given that you can't download it as an add-on for the original game, you have to buy a completely new game. For that reason I guess it doesn't qualify for DLC trophies/achievements, which is a great shame given that Bitterblack Isle has 20 odd hours of gameplay.

I'd really prefer to resume playing my current Arisen, but I'm just way to over-leveled (around 140, I think). It's too bad because I have a lot of sweet augments and equipment. :-(

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm curious as to what is going to happen with Bitterblack Isle during post game...

.... huh... hadn't even thought about this. I'm in post game now and was planning on just loading DA and jumping straight to the port.

My guess is that there is no difference... I bet it's in a way it's own thing. Can't wait to cut that devil guys head off.

I'd really prefer to resume playing my current Arisen, but I'm just way to over-leveled (around 140, I think). It's too bad because I have a lot of sweet augments and equipment. :-(

Play through once as an unstoppable killing machine god.... load new profile... play through as underpowered scrappy survivor barely making it through every other encounter...

Best of both worlds!! :)

I know how this feels. I don't know what level my Arisen is but probably pretty high. I have lots of good dragonforged gear and I've rank 10'd every vocation so I have access to every skill and augment... lots of gold and rift crystals and all that too. I fear Bitterblack Isle would just be far too easy for such a character.

I've heard there are no achievements for the new content. Anyone know if that's been confirmed?

I can't confirm it but I've heard the same. Disappointing since we're talking about Capcom here (I was expecting a new trophy set, turns out we don't even get new trophies for the expansion).

Still really excited though since I haven't even tried Hard mode yet. Since it's a pre-order on PSN that means it'll be available at midnight. :)

Great OP, by the way.

DC1

I've seen comparisons with Dark Souls. Are they accurate?

I remember playing this game at PAX11 and liking it, but never tried the full game.

Different game.
However the fighting mechanics can much more be compared to DS than any other game released this gen.

The jumping/climbing aspect (very similar to shadow the colossus really sets it apart.

Have fun with this one!

abundant

I can't confirm it but I've heard the same. Disappointing since we're talking about Capcom here (I was expecting a new trophy set, turns out we don't even get new trophies for the expansion).

Someone here who has it confirmed that there were no new achievements/trophies.

Another potential confirmation is that if there were new achievements/trophies, then they would've been leaked a few weeks ago, just like with every game/DLC.

This is my biggest lamentation as well. Arisen Richard (Sword of Truth/Legend of the Seeker) will get one go at Bitterblack though! Then I'll create a new Arisen. :)

Top Bottom