• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

So are you saying only Orbis and Durango can surpass the best of PS3/360?

(Your post didn't leave much headroom so I'm interpreting what I'm seeing)

Sorry I guess taken in pieces the posts don't make much sense. I was responding to the notion that the Wii U will be relatively close in power to the next systems. I don't think it will. I think the Wii U will be able to outclass the best the PS3 and 360 have to offer but it won't be right out the gate and will take a couple years to even achieve that let alone compete with the games that are being released on Orbis, Durango.

Karak

what about the eurogamer orbis secret sauce in addition to the known specs?
insignificant difference?

No sir.
In fact they are a very good rendition of what can be adjusting with custom silicon.

Somewhere the battle began between light and dark. Secret sauce became magical changes. Despite the buzz words people want to throw around, depending on which item they want to draw attention to or away from, custom silicon exists for a VERY specific reason and there are more examples of custom silicon, custom stand in chips, that do WONDERS than anyone can imagine, across all technical applications.

This doesn't really mean a lot but a relative of mine got to work with a guy on a personal project that is a Sony developer and he couldn't talk about PS4 or Orbis that much but when asked what has been impressing him the most he said definitely the stuff they are doing with "lighting" and some of the weather systems he has seen.

Everything I've read up to this point has made me believe the PS4 and 720 would be relativity equal in terms of power, but I'm really struggling with that conclusion after reading the article and this thread. The PS4's faster RAM advantage appears significantly better and I'm not even considering the OS footprint stuff. The 720 must have a lot of "secret sauce" or previous rumors were wrong.

Mario007

Those are outrageous. But custom stuff can easily eat up a% of the already very basic measurement of Tflops. Eat up enough to cover the distance?
Depends.
Yeah it will be interesting to see if MS can make up the difference. Wasn't there a rumor that had Orbis at 1.5 Tflops? In that case I could see the secret sauce working but it seems Sony have stepped up their game now.

Does anyone want to take a bet which one will be more expensive? The only really expensive part on the Orbis so far is the RAM. For Durago there seems to be a considerable amount of R&D being spent for the special sauce and also there's the issue of the inclusion of Kinect 2.0. I can definitely see Orbis being a bit cheaper than Durago.

davious88

Banned
i am left wondering why would they need that when choke point for deflate decompressor right now is HDD speed not CPU.

It is not a server that needs 500 MBs throughtput for deflate because it has 200 users uploading their backups to it.

Unless those Jaguar cores are slower than HDDs, which I doubt.

Just off the top of my head, I remember it mentioned somewhere.

Elios83

Just to clear one thing. Orbis still has apu + discrete (7970?) GPU ? according to this rumor

Everything should be integrated in a single chip.
But the rumor seems to point to the fact that there is a 1,8Teraflops GPU + a 8-cores CPU which also contains additional modules.
I think it's reasonable to expect that this extra hardware might actually be GPGPU stuff to give more flexibility to the design, something that can take the role of the Cell's SPEs derived from the GPU that is integrated in AMD's APU.
That would explain a few things which have been left with a question mark (why devkits are based on an APU+discrete GPU instead of a multicore CPU+discrete GPU, why a few rumors talked about dual GPUs).

Edit: I see that on B3D they're suggesting the same thing, the extra thing in the CPU might be compute units from a GPU acting like a GPGPU module.

That would keep California happy wouldn't it.

Haha indeed it would.

Everything I've read up to this point has made me believe the PS4 and 720 would be relativity equal in terms of power, but I'm really struggling with that conclusion after reading the article and this thread. The PS4's faster RAM advantage appears significantly better and I'm not even considering the OS footprint stuff. The 720 must have a lot of "secret sauce" or previous rumors were wrong.

The Orbis specs are exciting for sure but even the article states there are a lot of unknowns with the Durangos hardware.

aegies

Right, I understand that. It's just, I can't see any amount of supplementary hardware going to make a 1.2 tf GPU punch 2+ tf or whatever some of the more outrageous claims are.

Take fixed tasks that are computationally expensive, particularly for more general purpose GPU hardware, and make hardware that is good at that kind of task specifically. The problem with GPUs is that they're doing a lot of things that they're decent at, rather than fewer things that they're really good at.

Azure J

The AndyH post verification and display on B3D that proelite linked to just made me so excite for this upcoming generation.

Karak

can you be more specific.

Sorry I thought it was already here. Someone posted a good idea of what a custom chip could increase in tflops. I will try to go find it. Might have been beyond3d.
And just so you know. I put no LESS stock in Sony having some as MS does. Despite people wanting to downplay magical stuff if its on a system they don't like, the fact remains...it is, and can be, VERY valuable if thought through correctly.

This doesn't really mean a lot but a relative of mine got to work with a guy on a personal project that is a Sony developer and he couldn't talk about PS4 or Orbis that much but when asked what has been impressing him the most he said definitely the stuff they are doing with "lighting" and some of the weather systems he has seen.
Dude best avatar ever.

JaggedSac

No sir.
In fact they are a very good rendition of what can be adjusting with custom silicon.

Somewhere the battle began between light and dark. Secret sauce became magical changes. Despite the buzz words people want to throw around, depending on which item they want to draw attention to or away from, custom silicon exists for a VERY specific reason and there are more examples of custom silicon, custom stand in chips, that do WONDERS than anyone can imagine, across all technical applications.

Crap dude, my interest is piqued.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Round table discussion is great.

Lots of things are known to a few but the things that have been coming out are..........interesting.

Karak

Karak you must post in the more sensible threads this sucker is old baby :)

Sorry between this and that one awesome thread with the dancing Korean? Girls in random girl bands? I can't remember what its called. I am usually spent hahahahaha.

Maybe I have seen it. But the way you posted and the piercing eyes made me want to look up and see what old Taimak was doing right now.

images

None related obviously but I met him years ago. Nice guy.

Proxy

Take fixed tasks that are computationally expensive, particularly for more general purpose GPU hardware, and make hardware that is good at that kind of task specifically. The problem with GPUs is that they're doing a lot of things that they're decent at, rather than fewer things that they're really good at.

Well I guess we'll see what Microsoft has in store. But closing the gap with the supposed GPU in the PS4 + Sony's own customization might be a tall order.

Proelite

In addition, custom hardware can help gpus work at maintain 100% peak utilization.

I read somewhere that on average, 360 and PC gpus work at 60% even under load.

Just image, Sony's gpu can potentially keep up with a 3TF PC gpu in the real world.

Sorry between this and that one awesome thread with the dancing Korean? Girls in random girl bands? I can't remember what its called. I am usually spent hahahahaha.

Maybe I have seen it. But the way you posted and the piercing eyes made me want to look up and see what old Taimak was doing right now.

Hahaha I completely understand that thread is a time vortex.

onQ123

Am I right in assuming in some ways the CPU will be inferior to Cell, but with regard to gaming it may end up being better overall?

Maybe but I doubt it

1 PPE @3.2GHz vs 8 Jaguar Cores @1.6GHz

I'm sure the 8 Jaguar cores will mop the floor with the 1 PPU with general-purpose code.

then we have

6 SPEs @3.2GHz vs bespoke GPU-like "Compute" module?

we don't have much info on this right now so it's hard to say how the added compute module will compare to the 6 SPEs at Computing.

Reiko

Banned
In addition, custom hardware can help gpus work at maintain 100% peak utilization.

Without custom hardware we wouldn't have seen jaw droppers like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Silent Hill 3 on PS2.

Just image, Sony's gpu can potentially keep up with a 3TF PC gpu in the real world.
godddd I need next-gen now.

Without custom hardware we wouldn't have seen jaw droppers like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Silent Hill 3 on PS2.

That tanker level still looks so dang good.

images

None related obviously but I met him years ago. Nice guy.

What! You met him! How did that happen? You know in Ted when Mark Wahlberg meets Flash Gordon? I would make some bad decisions with Taimak influencing me.

aegies

I think efficiency has been a target point for Microsoft in particular. Looking at places where the 360 had power but couldn't use it, where GPUs and CPUs choke. Addressing those places and enabling devs to use what's there as soon as possible.

THE:MILKMAN

It really is hard to believe....I need a screenshot leak stat.

TUROK

In regard to bottlenecks, sure, but as long as the API and code aren't awful, it's still very possible to use pretty much every ounce of juice from off-the-shelf components.

Top Bottom