• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #250 - The World's 50 Greatest Developers

Mikey Jr.

You have a Hayley avatar so I'm gonna give you cred for that, but how is one game not enough to judge the creative ability of a developer on? I mean, this is GAF after all, and we eat a developer alive and claim them as shit when a single game made by them bombs.

Minecraft could be a flash in the pan for the developer, and all their other games bomb and they fade into obscurity.

You can't make one game, have it do amazing, then call them one of the best developers on the planet.

xJavonta

Banned
Minecraft could be a flash in the pan for the developer, and all their other games bomb and they fade into obscurity.

You can't make one game, have it do amazing, then call them one of the best developers on the planet.

As of how things currently stand for them, I'd say they are.

Mojang are just good people. I bought Minecraft... 2 years ago? It was an entirely different game then.. they have been updating it consistently on a weekly basis, and it keeps improving.
Their dev culture is very open and transparent, and it's a joy to check their Twitter account/site and learn about what is coming in the next version.

They have not charged me a dime since.

xJavonta

Banned
Mojang are just good people. I bought minecraft... 2 years ago? It was an entirely different game then.. they have been updating it consistently on a weekly basis, and it keeps improving.

They made that model popular, and I think we'll be seeing it used a lot more.

And that's a great thing.

Hypron

The fact that CD Projekt is not on this list while Ninja Theory is completely invalidates it.

I mean, if this was a top 10 list or something, I wouldn't really mind if CD Projekt was not in it. But this is a top 50 list. There's no way in hell there are 50 developers out there right now that are better than CD Projekt. No way.

The fact that CD Projekt is not on this list while Ninja Theory is completely invalidates it.

I mean, if this was a top 10 list or something, I wouldn't really mind if CD Projekt was not in it. But this is a top 50 list. There's no way in hell there are 50 developers out there right now that are better than CD Projekt. No way.

CDProjekt should be disqualified based on their stupid "mature gamers like myself" bullshit.

Sentenza

But EDGE thought both The Witcher games were terrible and gave those awful scores, so I guess it makes sense on their part.

CDProjekt should be disqualified based on their stupid "mature gamers like myself" bullshit.
Uhm, err... What?

Cwarrior

Capcom should be on this list

Dragon dogma
Resident evil 5/6/revelations
Lost planet 1/2
Dead Rising
Devil May Cry 4
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney/ Miles Edgeworth serise
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Marvel vs capcom 3
Street fighter 4
Ōkamiden

Mojang are just good people. I bought Minecraft... 2 years ago? It was an entirely different game then.. they have been updating it consistently on a weekly basis, and it keeps improving.
Their dev culture is very open and transparent, and it's a joy to check their Twitter account/site and learn about what is coming in the next version.

id Software did the same and actually pioneered this model of providing on-going updates for free (Quakeworld, map packs, level editors, server-browser tool, support for tournaments, support for modders through Quake C, GL Quake) - Mojang is just following in their footsteps

Shadders

Really surprised that Turn10 and Polyphony aren't on there. In fact there aren't any racing studios on there at all..

Edge, y u no liek the brum brum gaems?

Curufinwe

Their unironic "we make mature games for mature gamers" bullshit is pathetic. As a company their image is pandering to sad neckbeards who demand to be taken seriously. I have some of them as friends, it's hell.

Well, whatever your personal issues with "neckbeards" are, they still make very good games.

Their unironic "we make mature games for mature gamers" bullshit is pathetic. As a company their image is pandering to sad neckbeards who demand to be taken seriously. I have some of them as friends, it's hell.

What kind of star-rating would you give that company, David Meltzer?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My favorite companies on that list are Nintendo EAD, Platinum, Naughty Dog, From, Kojima, Eidos Montreal, Capybara and Wayforward, but there are a ton of companies who far more deserve a place on the list than these options - Intelligent Systems, Atlus R&D1, Falcom, tri-Ace, CD Projekt, ST!NG, Cave and Obsidian for starters.

Also, I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to what is "popular" in gaming now. Who the heck are these companies?

9. Arkane Studios
10. Riot Games
16. ArenaNet
22. Terry Cavanagh
25. 343
30. Playdead
33. Redlynx
34. Vlambeer (why does this name remind me of Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball?)
35. CCP (Russian company?)
42. Mossmouth
47. Halfbrick
49. Jagex

Zia

9. Arkane Studios
10. Riot Games
16. ArenaNet
22. Terry Cavanagh
25. 343
30. Playdead
33. Redlynx
34. Vlambeer (why does this name remind me of Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball?)
42. Mossmouth
47. Halfbrick
49. Jagex

That's a pretty gargantuan hole you've been living in. : p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My favorite companies on that list are Nintendo EAD, Naughty Dog, From, Kojima, Eidos Montreal, Capybara and Wayforward, but there are a ton of companies who far more deserve a place on the list than these options - Intelligent Systems, Atlus R&D1, Falcom, tri-Ace, CD Projekt, ST!NG, Cave and Obsidian for starters.

Also, I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to what is "popular" in gaming now. Who the heck are these companies?

9. Arkane Studios
10. Riot Games
16. ArenaNet
22. Terry Cavanagh
25. 343
30. Playdead
33. Redlynx
42. Mossmouth
47. Halfbrick
49. Jagex
9. Arkane Studios - Dishonored
10. Riot Games - League of Legends
16. ArenaNet - Guild Wars 2
22. Terry Cavanagh - VVVVVV/Super Hexagon
25. 343 - Halo 4
30. Playdead - Limbo
33. Redlynx - Trials
34. Vlambeer (why does this name remind me of Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball?) - Super Crate Box
35. CCP (Russian company?) - EVE Online, Icelandic company
42. Mossmouth - Spelunky
47. Halfbrick - Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride
49. Jagex - Runescape

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
9. Arkane Studios - Dishonored
10. Riot Games - League of Legends
16. ArenaNet - Guild Wars 2
22. Terry Cavanagh - VVVVVV/Super Hexagon
25. 343 - Halo 4
30. Playdead - Limbo
33. Redlynx - Trials
34. Vlambeer (why does this name remind me of Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball?) - Super Crate Box
35. CCP (Russian company?) - EVE Online, Icelandic company
42. Mossmouth - Spelunky
47. Halfbrick - Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride
49. Jagex - Runescape

So, mostly one hit wonders/indie/cellphone/MMO games? Could be why none of the names rang a bell for me. But hardly deserving of a place on the "best companies ever" list compared to companies with a long pedigree of great games stretching over 10-20+ years (Cave, Falcom, IS).

If this was a "best of 2012" list I could see how that'd be different, but some of the companies listed didn't even do much of anything in 2012. Even Platinum, probably my favorite company on the whole list.

No, your sense of nostalgia shit all over them.

Its also worth noting the way some developers run their business, and from what I've read, Valve is a pretty amazing place to work at, with a very open-ended development model for everyone working there.

When you take into account the games Valve have made, what they've done for PC gaming, especially indie devs, and what they will likely do in the future, I can easily see them as #1. Hell, is there a more anticipated game than Half-Life 3? Sure it has the worst case of valve-time ever, but everyone wants to see it.

This "just cuz" excuse is getting more and more flaccid to me the more I see it, and I've been seeing it FAR too much lately.

That publisher is one man away from being incapable of making good games, I can see no reason why it should be in there.

Fixed.

Cipherr

Mojang at number 2 is ridiculous. They have done great thusfar, dont get me wrong. But you dont earn your way to the #2 spot of all developers ever that quickly. C'mon now. Let them earn their place, that shit is ridiculous.

Edit: ArenaNet at 16, sweet Jesus. Is that just for the year or something? No way that is all time. List reads more like a "Who is popular lately" than a G.O.A.T list.

I love Minecraft but cmon son. Let's be real.

Also, while I agree with Valve and EAD being up there, neither have done anything in a while.

If this was a "best of 2012" list I could see how that'd be different, but some of the companies listed didn't even do much of anything in 2012. Even Platinum, probably my favorite company on the whole list.
Perhaps it's more a "Best companies around now".
Aren't Platinum putting out like 3 games this year? So they were pretty good in 2012 in a way.

Yagharek

I cant agree with Bethesda at all. They released and never fixed a broken version of skyrim. That alone should drag them well down, no matter how good other versions run.

Top Bottom