• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know how to handwrite (cursive) in English? Use it often?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yes, and I use it exactly never. Not once in my entire life have I used it outside of when I first learned in elementary school almost 30 goddamn years ago.
Which is why I refuse to waste instructional time teaching my students cursive when there are countless other more valuable things for them to learn.

KarmaCow

I was just writing some stuff in cursive because of this thread and I forgot how satisfying it is to write a z in cursive. Not as good as writing ஒ ('o' in Tamil) but the sharp twist is just so good without being too ornate.

cptodin

I only write in cursive.
It's unreadable

simplified btw (that's what we learned in school). My lowercase letters look pretty much the same as in the OP. Uppercase are not as twirly, though

64f62ff397c363c2.jpg

I used cursive a lot up through college when I would take tests since I would write faster and could get more on paper. I still occasionally use it but I know my cursive is difficult for others to read.

Saganator

I was just writing some stuff in cursive because of this thread and I forgot how satisfying it is to write a z in cursive. Not as good as writing ஒ ('o' in Tamil) but the sharp twist is just so good without being too ornate.

I'm all about the lowercase J and F, and love me some uppercase L's.

Ravelle

I remember a lot of writing lessons, writing the same letter over and over again between lines in cursive, even in one string or whatever it's called.

But no, my handwriting also varies on the day and varies between great and unreadable.

Jhoan

I use it to write faster than in print. My cursive lower case R's suck though and need practice. My print handwriting is pretty good too if I'm not in a rush.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Yes I know how, and no I don't use it outside of signing my name. It's just a pain in the ass to read compared to print.

I vividly remember being in primary school and being told it was time to learn joined-up writing. I tried it and was like no, this isn't for me. Haven't used it since and I likely never will.

I used to know, was taught in elementary school like others here. I haven't used it in years and quite frankly have mostly forgotten how outside of my name. I remember having to sign my middle name for some document and struggling to remember how to write an upper-case R. Just went for the scribble.

Yes.
I also had to teach children how to write in cursive.

Aside from that, and my signature of course, and on various tests that require passages to be written in cursive for verification, no I don't use it otherwise.

KarmaCow

I'm all about the lowercase J and F, and love me some uppercase L's.

Those are definitely great as part of words but I just love writing both upper and lower case Z in cursive on their own. Something about the gear shift between the smooth curve to a sharp point and back to the smooth curve just scratches an itch in me. As a kid learning Tamil I would just write ஒ, அ and other permutations of those letters in notebooks despite never really picking up how to properly write coherent sentences just because it was fun to write.

I almost want to make a thread about satisfying letters and words to write and say in different languages but I'm too lazy to give a proper starting off point with a bunch of examples.

ZOONAMI

Not for anything other than my signature. They taught us both cursive and print, cursive was never taught as though it was some kind of requirement for anything.

Kard8p3

Yes.
I also had to teach children how to write in cursive.

Aside from that, and my signature of course, and on various tests that require passages to be written in cursive for verification, no I don't use it otherwise.

What fucking tests do this? Jesus christ.

Cursive is dumb and useless aside from my signature, so no I don't use it.

What fucking tests do this? Jesus christ.

Most recent ones for me were the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure.
They had you copy an entire paragraph in cursive for use for identity verification.

I think the SAT did too, but it's been 17 years since I took that, my memory's fuzzy on it.

Cursive is dumb and useless aside from my signature

Having you sign something is a similar concept - your cursive writing is more identifying than your print writing.
It's all an identity verification thing.

I know the lower case letters, but I couldn't give a shit to memorize the capital letters. Cursive can go die in a fire for all I care. I scribble a vague resemblance of my name in cursive when I sign my signature.

Nafai1123

Banned
I know it but I don't use it because it's pretty much unreadable, sometimes even to myself. I have the handwriting of a 5-year-old.

Cabal

I remember it mostly. I used cursive up until college, but print is much easierr to read. Also, the example of the capital Q in the OP is totally not how we learned to write that. It looks sort of like a 2.

It's the faster way to write by hand. If I'm writing it for me, then I use cursive.

Pretty much stopped using it for others when I graduated and no longer needed to write essays during tests.

Phu

Banned
I know it but I don't use it much. If I have to write something down very quickly my handwriting blurs back and forth between print and cursive.

I had to use it all throughout elementary and jr high, though I did go to a private school for Kindergarten-8th grade. Once I started high school (public), my English teaching told me to stop using cursive and just print.

Every single one of my comments on NeoGAF is born in the brow of contemplation, lovingly crafted by my own right hand in copperplate, transcribed to paper tape using a flexowriter of my own design, then fed kicking and screaming into the internet machine which squats like a well fed toad in the corner of my kitchen.

This quill is getting a bit scratchy on the parchment. I'll have to ask a servant to bring some feathers back from the poulterer tomorrow.

CDX

Of course I can read and write cursive. Can people read my cursive writing is the true question? My cursive was always so messy and terrible.

Even when I was younger I only used it when school required it, otherwise I printed, or typed.

They say people write faster in cursive compared to print ...but I type WAY faster than I write either by hand.

Now I only use it for my signature. Everything else is either typed or handwritten in print.

Gattsu25

Banned
Forgot. Couldn't write in cursive now without a visual reference but can still read cursive.

Hopefully it's not still being taught.

Yeah, we had to use cursive in primary school (and fountain pens to write with). Had classes and everything.

My handwriting is inconsistent as fuck. It's an unholy fusion of print and cursive, with some letters being more fancy looking, some looking only somewhat cursive and others just being straight up unintelligible.

It's my primary way of writing. I've turned in essays completely in cursive lol.

Not because of preference, though; I'm a slow writer and my cursive is faster than my print.

Yes, teachers in early school pressured me to learn it because "cursive would be important in everyday life."

I haven't used it since that grade

Bakercat

I remember being taught cursive in like 2nd grade, but I don't ever remember being forced to write in cursive at all. If I'm not in school the only time I write is to sign documents and most of the time they specially say to print name. On top of this is that in this day and age everything must be typed, especially true in college. I personally write with a mix between print and cursive, depending which format I like for each letter.

Top Bottom