• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know how to handwrite (cursive) in English? Use it often?

I learned how to write it in like 3rd or 4th grade and only wrote in it

Then a few years later in middle school no one could actually read cursive so i had to re-train myself to write non-cursive

Dumb kids

Halsfluss

Neo Member
Kinda sorta. My elementary school teachers pressured us into writing cursive, so my handwriting is some strange cursive/print mashup. Looks better than the chicken scratch other adults put on paper, though.

This.

Last few years I've tried to improve my cursive, since getting into fountain pens made writing fun again and me to appreciate good handwriting. It's getting there, but it's pretty hard to get some bad habits out of muscle memory.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how i was taught, dropped it like a hot rock shen i was i dunno 10 years old. im 38 now and barely write ever. im in IT though. most writing i do is scrawl on a notepad or fill in a form

DJ_Lae

I know how, but I haven't used it since...maybe grade 6.

The few times I've tried since it ends up looking like the handwriting of an elementary schooler. My daughter probably has neater handwriting and she's in grade 2.

I'll stick with printing.

I don't know when I changed from writing in cursive to writing in print. It was a gradual change I guess. I should try cursive again sometime.

Yes, all the time. I rarely ever write in print, as I think mine looks awful. My cursive is amazing, though. I'm a real John Hancock over here.

Almighty

I did back in elementary school, but I have never used it since. I would say I use it for my signature only, but that as devolved so much over the years that i would't call it cursive anymore.

So much time lost learning it that could have been spent on more useful endeavours.

Herne

Didn't think it was a big deal, though I of course understand that it's becoming less useful as time goes by. I still write using it, though I rarely have a reason to do so. Mine was always very bad and still is.

ChryZ

0KnP4G2.jpg

CassSept

Every time I see a thread like this I am confused, if you've got a meeting at work how the hell do you take notes? On laptop? Even with touch typing it's very distracting due to noise alone.

Biske

It's a pretty pointless skill and I never have to use it. If I'm at work and someone hands me something in cursive more than likely they'll get told to write it so a human can read it.

Pesmerga00

I did back in elementary school, but I have never used it since. I would say I use it for my signature only, but that as devolved so much over the years that i would't call it cursive anymore.

So much time lost learning it that could have been spent on more useful endesvours.

Seriously. Should have used that time to teach typing instead.

Jacob

The last time I had to write anything other than my signature in cursive was that statement you have to copy out at the beginning of the SAT. That was ten years ago. I can still (sort of) read cursive but situations in which I have to are few and far between so I haven't really kept in practice.

Every time I see a thread like this I am confused, if you've got a meeting at work how the hell do you take notes? On laptop? Even with touch typing it's very distracting due to noise alone.

I use regular writing (block letters) when taking notes. Got through college taking lecture notes that way and have been relying on it in grad school so far, though I'm still trying to get my speed back up. None of my jobs have involved much handwriting thus far but I've used block letters there too.

Herne

I use ColorNote on my phone. Typing on my phone is always an exercise in patience (I'm doing it right now!) and autocorrect is both a great help and the bane of my life, but it's so much more convenient than bringing a notepad and pen everywhere I go.

RS4-

Kinda sorta. My elementary school teachers pressured us into writing cursive, so my handwriting is some strange cursive/print mashup. Looks better than the chicken scratch other adults put on paper, though.

Yeah, mines a mix too. My print is now fucked up as well. There was a time in school when I'd print and fit three lines in one lol

It's my predominant form of writing. I take a bizarre pride in my handwriting. I actually receive compliments on it from time to time. Somewhat ironic since I'm a math and numbers guy. Though my capital "Q" does not look like that atrocity in the OP.

koutoru

Yes, only really used it in signatures and when i wanted my writing to take up extra space in papers with # of page requirements.

The last time there was one of these threads on GAF, I was embarrassed at how poorly I could remember how to write cursive, and immediately switched to only using cursive and now I feel much better about it.

I very much like my handwriting now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I write things by hand so infrequently to the point my writing is just chicken scratch.

Tevious

I had learned it in elementary school, but never ended up using it outside of my signature. In college, I had a history class where we had a test in which we had to write our answers out by hand in short essays. The test ended up being a few pages long, iirc. I had forgotten a few of the cursive letters, so I just went with print script. It took me much longer to write that way and my hand was exhausted by the end of it. I almost always have the opportunity to type, so outside of that one situation, I've never had a need for cursive.

In italian schools it's still taught as the main form of writing. First you learn print. After a year or two you're taught cursive and then for the rest of the elementary school and during both junior high and high schoool you're supposed to write only in cursive.

Off course as soon as high school ends no one uses cursive ever again and everyone go back to writing print

erawsd

Yeah I know how to write in cursive but I have not actually use it since elementary when my 3rd grade teachers forced us to. In fact, I feel like every teacher after that demanded we use print anytime we weren't turning in a typed assignment.

LordKasual

Banned
i've almost developed my own exclusive form of cursive

none of my teachers have ever complained though, though i guess its legible

i literally cannot read actual cursive, though. To this day I have trouble reading my notes from my mother.

Yeah, been a while since I've used it though. I imagine I'd make some mistakes trying to get the cursive correct. Book reports were handwritten in public school as were most other reports. When I was in Grade 9 (~2002) you could still hand write rough copies, though final submissions had to be typed.

Kurita

I only use cursive when I write in French.
When I did a university year in Japan and had some papers to write in English I switched to the other way of writing though, I was afraid my teachers wouldn't be able to read it

Jisgsaw

I only know how to write cursive actually... Strange question lol. It's so much faster.

I only use cursive when I write in French.
When I did a university year in Japan and had some papers to write in English I switched to the other way of writing though, I was afraid my teachers wouldn't be able to read it

Also French here, maybe has something to do with what we're taught in school? I don't remember if we were even taught how to write in printing letters.

Saganator

My handwriting is a mishmash of cursive and non-cursive. Some letters connect, some don't. I can read cursive, but since I rarely see anything written in full cursive I'd probably read it pretty slowly and make a mistake here and there. I had cursive driven into my skull from grade 1 all the way to 8.

Omadahl

Banned
I forgot. My handwriting was so bad that my teachers insisted I print everything by fifth grade. I was subsequently asked in high school if everything could be typed. I see no point in it being taught anymore. We should spend more time teaching typing, spelling and grammar.

vypek

Learned it in 2nd grade and we had to use it a few times during the grade but then I never had a use for it again. Next time I had to use it was writing a paragraph on the SAT.

In recent years my signature has become less legible and contains more scribbles

Raven117

Use it all the time. If anyone sees my handwriting, I usually get compliments (Im a dude btw).

I do appreciate good penmanship.

Top Bottom