• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

TankUP

Worthless in a game where potion of madness exists.

And bad even if it didn't.

PoM can be easily played around and just because a card has a counter doesn't make it a bad card.

Unless you think Jade Idol is a bad card now? Or that Pirates are all bad cards? Or Murlocs? Or Deathrattles? Or Stealth minions? Or secrets?

Skelemancer is the truth. Had a pally quest, took out my old control paladin, gussied it up with Skelemancers and Bonemares, and won all 5 needed games in a row.

RedZaraki

Banned
Skelemancer is low key OP. Not against Priest or Devolve, but against Paladin, Warrior, and Mage.

If you have a deck that goes wide it's great anti-board clear. And it plays nicely with Spikeridged Steed and Bonemare.

zoukka

It's a fun card design for sure. But I stand by my words that it's not a competitive card. Too many downsides and potential blowouts.

TankUP

I'm not sure if you think they get an 8/8 when they use potion of madness or not.

I wouldn't blame him for misunderstanding, since it is sort of a new mechanic.

Thank you believers of Skelemancer!

I thought it sucked until I put it in a deck. Watching my opponents ignore it turn after turn until they finally have to kill it because of Spike Ridged and give me an 8/8 protected by a 2/6 taunt...

skelemancer is probably good somewhere but it has never done a damn thing in any game i have ever played or watched

It won me several games yesterday evening. I had one guy instant concede when I bonemared it.

When/if Druid gets dialed down in power level or prevalence and slower Paladin lists start showing up more often, then ya'll will see how good the card is.

TankUP

My favorite part of the new short is all the baby ragers whining that they spent their time making a cartoon instead of balancing the game.

Like, I'm pretty sure the animators, voice actors, etc., aren't actually people from the balance team neglecting their main job in order to do this instead, ya know?

I'm also a big fan of how quick the narrative went from "small indie company, Activsion/Blizzard doesn't care about Hearthstone so they cheap out on everything, we never get cool stuff like Overwatch does" to "oh my god why are they spending money promoting the game and doing CG shorts the way Overwatch does, they should spend the money instead on knee-jerk balance patches and paying some guy overtime to adjust some numbers on a card RIGHT NOW REEEEEEEEEEEE".

Triz

That short was much better than all the other marketing they were using. Its good to see the Blizzard animations team putting out stuff like that and the Overwatch short. Both are fantastic.

Hycran

Banned
The thing that stuck out to me the most about the hearthstone video is that they clearly were very deliberate in choosing the age, gender, sex and ethnicity of their female lead, but then everyone else is white as a ghost.

Also, I loved the cameo from the possessed villager guy.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Did my phone just fucking pop a notification about the Frost Festival? What the fuck?

How are the new solo stuff? I assume those unlocked today as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The thing that stuck out to me the most about the hearthstone video is that they clearly were very deliberate in choosing the age, gender, sex and ethnicity of their female lead, but then everyone else is white as a ghost.

Also, I loved the cameo from the possessed villager guy.

Warcraft as a whole falls into the same trap as most "fantasy" where humans are overwhelmingly white. None of the major lore characters of the human race are POC. Warcraft gets its diversity through representing non-white cultures in its other races (Trolls, Tauren, Pandaren, etc).

Warcraft as a whole falls into the same trap as most "fantasy" where humans are overwhelmingly white. None of the major lore characters of the human race are POC. Warcraft gets its diversity through representing non-white cultures in it's other races (Trolls, Tauren, Pandaren, etc).
Which has always been low key gross. Blizzard has seemed to learn with Overwatch versus their public stance of not giving two shits about it 5-10 years ago, but Warcraft is still Warcraft.

Dahbomb

My favorite part of the new short is all the baby ragers whining that they spent their time making a cartoon instead of balancing the game.

Like, I'm pretty sure the animators, voice actors, etc., aren't actually people from the balance team neglecting their main job in order to do this instead, ya know?

I'm also a big fan of how quick the narrative went from "small indie company, Activsion/Blizzard doesn't care about Hearthstone so they cheap out on everything, we never get cool stuff like Overwatch does" to "oh my god why are they spending money promoting the game and doing CG shorts the way Overwatch does, they should spend the money instead on knee-jerk balance patches and paying some guy overtime to adjust some numbers on a card RIGHT NOW REEEEEEEEEEEE".
Who the hell are you even talking to?

And please don't say Reddit because we aren't on Reddit.

Nachos

Was that first "Well met" a contest winner or something? That was Skype-tier audio quality.

Warcraft as a whole falls into the same trap as most "fantasy" where humans are overwhelmingly white. None of the major lore characters of the human race are POC. Warcraft gets its diversity through representing non-white cultures in its other races (Trolls, Tauren, Pandaren, etc).
You'd think that with the series divorcing itself from Warcraft more and more that it'd take that as an opportunity to add more diversity.

TankUP

Who the hell are you even talking to?

And please don't say Reddit because we aren't on Reddit.

Some pros on Twitter were whining about the short. Even so, I think it's fair game to discuss the community reaction even if it doesn't originate on Neogaf. Unless you're gonna call out everyone who links a tweet or brings up something someone says on twitch you can buzz off with your lowkey efforts to tell me I'm not welcome to post here.

I don't need or want or care about your permission.

Dahbomb

Some pros on Twitter were whining about the short. Even so, I think it's fair game to discuss the community reaction even if it doesn't originate on Neogaf. Unless you're gonna call out everyone who links a tweet or brings up something someone says on twitch you can buzz off with your lowkey efforts to tell me I'm not welcome to post here.

I don't need or want or care about your permission.
Should've at least given a link to what you were referring to because it seemed like you were referring to people here.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You'd think that with the series divorcing itself from Warcraft more and more that it'd take that as an opportunity to add more diversity.

It isn't really divorcing itself from Warcraft. I mean this newest expansion is as Warcraft as it gets.

I think this is a difficult problem to fix short term. If you just slot a couple POC into things it'll feel like tokenism. Warcraft probably needs a Warcraft 3 sized shakeup for POC to be properly represented, otherwise all the white characters will still dominate.

Crazyorloco

I play mainly with Warlock/Warrior. What exactly is over powered with Priests and Druid right now?

I'm going to create some decks to try to counter them.

Priests have always annoyed me because they're using all my cards to win. Druid I'm ok with.

TankUP

Should've at least given a link to what you were referring to because it seemed like you were referring to people here.

If it was people here I would have quoted them.

The people here I would expect to react like that are all on my ignore list by now anyway.

Nachos

It isn't really divorcing itself from Warcraft. I mean this newest expansion is as Warcraft as it gets.

I think this is a difficult problem to fix short term. If you just slot a couple POC into things it'll feel like tokenism. Warcraft probably needs a Warcraft 3 sized shakeup for POC to be properly represented, otherwise all the white characters will still dominate.
Yeah, "divorcing" was the wrong word; I just meant that it isn't following Warcraft's traditions and precedents as closely anymore. They're already adding plenty of original characters and adding to Hearthstone's separate universe, so you'd think they'd have similar freedom in changing the world's demographics a bit. Obviously you can't change the established characters, but a bunch of bar patrons created specifically for the short is about as token as you can get, regardless of color. Adding more varied people there wouldn't be "undermining the lore", since, from what I can tell, WoW already lets you be non-white.

sibarraz

Banned
If blizzard don't include in a hotfix that cute mouse that brings you the cards when you draw from the deck, I'm totally done with the game

TankUP

Are the people bitching about brawl being all druids actually playing the mode? I've played 6 games, zero druids, 4 burn mages. Just got otked from 30 on turn 6.

But druid is ruining brawl, right guys? 6 mana Alex combined with 3 zero mana burn spells is just fine, as long is it doesn't run innervate I guess.

Sness

Banned
I don't get the point in the Gamescom short. I can't wait until Blizzard gets ideas for Hearthstone from someone other than Brode... the game and media around it are becoming pretty obnoxious.

TankUP

I don't get the point in the Gamescom short. I can't wait until Blizzard gets ideas for Hearthstone from someone other than Brode... the game and media around it are becoming pretty obnoxious.

Yeah Brode is the only one who works for team 5 after all. He sets the budgets, designs the marketing, does all the art and voice work, rigs the RNG against you... he does it all.

Tacitus_

Man my last game was some RNG clown fiesta. I ripped the Lich King from my Free from Amber while he got DK Anduin from his Kabal Courier. Thankfully LK gave me Frostmourne which he didn't play around at all.

gutshot

Are the people bitching about brawl being all druids actually playing the mode? I've played 6 games, zero druids, 4 burn mages. Just got otked from 30 on turn 6.

But druid is ruining brawl, right guys? 6 mana Alex combined with 3 zero mana burn spells is just fine, as long is it doesn't run innervate I guess.

I haven't seen too many Druids (though, I haven't seen anyone complaining about them either). I was having fun with a Prophet Velen/Mirage Caller Miracle Priest OTK deck. Even beat a few Burn Mages thanks to teching in Greater Healing Potion.

TankUP

I haven't seen too many Druids (though, I haven't seen anyone complaining about them either). I was having fun with a Prophet Velen/Mirage Caller Miracle Priest OTK deck. Even beat a few Burn Mages thanks to teching in Greater Healing Potion.

Thats the deck I was playing. I had Reno AND secret eater in hand but can't beat Alex into 3 zero cost fireballs in a single turn.

Fyi

I was starting to miss druid, good thing we got a druid brawl.

wiibomb

I've been messing around with one wild renolock list I made on the fly for the tavern brawl.

It's incredibly fun, but I have to watch out for too much greed, if I hold my cards too much, usually the opponent runs me over pretty easily.

0 cost cards are not going to win the game.

If you don't find Ben Bride to be charismatic and charming, I have to wonder what's wrong with you. The dude could run over my dog I wouldn't be able to stay mad at him.

Sness

Banned
Yeah Brode is the only one who works for team 5 after all. He sets the budgets, designs the marketing, does all the art and voice work, rigs the RNG against you... he does it all.

Completely aware of Team 5, as well as the history of Hearthstone, and I've even talked to some of them at various Blizzcons. Just have differing opinions, which can happen with subjective things like this.

IMO, it's hard to argue against new ideas, changes, and direction for Hearthstone.

Edit:

If you don't find Ben Bride to be charismatic and charming, I have to wonder what's wrong with you. The dude could run over my dog I wouldn't be able to stay mad at him.

Really comes off as shtick to me. It occasionally seems affable, but is more often obnoxious, and I've often wondered if it's intentionally disingenuous. 'HEY LIKE THIS FUN GAME! FUN! FUN!' I'm not arguing that he isn't talented, successful or well liked (he's all those things, and then some). I just saw that short today, and thought they might as well have inserted Brode as one of the characters.

Top Bottom