• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

So with only 23 reviews tallied so far on MetaCritic only one Nolan movie has more 100 scores which is Dark Knight with 16 compared to Dunkirk with 15.

Dunkirk has already surpassed every other Nolan movie by at least 4 100 scores and still has 20+ reviews to go

longdi

Banned
Reading some of the lite spoilers here, sounds like recent Nolan films, trying to bite off a bit too much and causing a packed last act with logic holes..

Every Nolan film is the best ever in the first month of release.

This. Don't believe the hyperbole.

image.php

:x

I'm seeing this opening night but I'm really skeptical

i legit hated interstellar.. it single handedly ruined Christmas for me when it came out

also yeah the running time is appreciated.. sick of 3 hour blockbusters

Did TDKR have unanimously positive reception at launch?
To tell you the truth, it had a underwhelming response because many felt it didn't reach the heights of The Dark Knight. But many still enjoyed the movie and thought it was good.

I mean people call it trash, but it really isn't

Has it been spun to be about America as most war films usually are or is this legit...

Cant tell from trailers.
America isn't involved at all. USA was no where near WWII during Dunkirk.

This movie avoids politics. No politicians. Just those on the battlefield and the citizens trying to save their soldiers.

Vice

Guy that has made amazing movies like Memento, The Presitge, The Dark Knight etc. has made another great movie, how surprising.

Nolan is now in the film fan backlash phase of his career joining the likes of Spielberg and Cameron for making a string of good movies rather than excellent ones.

faridmon

Nolan is now in the film fan backlash phase of his career joining the likes of Spielberg and Cameron for making a string of good movies rather than excellent ones.

More like OK ones.

lol at comparing Nolan to either of these two

Moonkid

Got my tickets for IMAX this coming Friday, very keen. Would have gone to see it regardless of reviews tbh unless it was a horrendous misfire.

wazoo

They're good movies, but overrated imo. So I try to be as sceptical as possible here.

The industry is in despair mode to find a replacement for Kubrick, one that can provide art movies that make money at the same time and legitimize the medium. Nolan is the current candidate, at the expense of being largely overestimated.

Haha have I struck a nerve? I'm so sorry.

"They're good movies but overrated" is a silly ass take

If you think a movie is good, what makes it overrated ? You act like all his movies have 100% on rotten tomatoes and have garnished an abundance of awards. At that point I guess if you think a movie is just good but can also be looked at as overrated .

robotrock

Banned
Haha have I struck a nerve? I'm so sorry.
Haha, you sure struck my shitposting nerve! Just kidding, I just think saying something is overrated is really useless. I mean literally who cares if you think these movies are rated higher than they should be, when you are just another opinion (just like those you are dismissing)? How am I even supposed to understand what your post is actually saying when I don't know what existing ratings you are even talking about when you say you disagree with them?

That's all. No nerves broken. I swear I'm not mad online.

takriel

"They're good movies but overrated" is a silly ass take

If you think a movie is good, what makes it overrated ? You act like all his movies have 100% on rotten tomatoes and have garnished an abundance of awards. At that point I guess if you think a movie is just good but can also be looked at as overrated .
I'm mainly thinking about the vocal minority on the Internet that thinks Nolan is a God and his movies are untouchable masterpieces when I say his movies are overrated. I'm actually not so sure how large that minority really is.

robotrock

Banned
I'm mainly thinking about the vocal minority on the Internet that thinks Nolan is a God and his movies are untouchable masterpieces when I say his movies are overrated. I'm actually not so sure how large that minority really is.
So your thinking of Nolan movies being overrated actually means you disagree with a minority of fans. Got it

Top Bottom