• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

SiteSeer

I was in a group of three people speeding once. I was following the lead car (on a motorcycle) and the car following me turned out to be an unmarked cop car.

He pulled us both over.

This was in the Netherlands though, so it might not be the same as in the US.

lol, if that were me i'd be thinking 'hey they can't pull all THREE of us over!'

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
How are the BMW Z4s?

I see all these praises for miatas and fiat 124s but love for the z4

Is it really not that great of a car or is it like a price to fun ratio and or maintenance fees keeping it from buying a good buy?

is it even part of that segment of roadsters or should it be in line with luxury ones?

I like them. *shrug*

Test drove a 1st gen one in a MT during a BMW Performance Event at Shea Stadium many moons ago...I thought it was quite good and fun. I've actually been also looking at them used, when searching for a fun, inexpensive manual transmission car.

Got the tie rods and rear trailing arm bushings done over the weekend. I did the bushings in stages. 1 reason was frustration, 1 was it was fucking 114 F on Saturday. Weather was really nice (84 F) Sunday and I got the right side done in 1.5 hrs after spending at least 4 hrs on stupid mistakes and frustration on the left side. Pretty sure my brain was baking in the heat.

This is one of the reasons why I pay people to work on my car.

I was gonna replace the cold air intake filter this past weekend but when I stepped outside, the humidity was so oppressive I'm sure you would've gotten swamp ass in about a minute haha.

Though tbf, taking off the splash pan on my Miata is a pain in the ass. I took off all the screws holding it under the car only to realize I need to take both front wheels off to remove two more bolts that's holding the pan to the wheel wells... at that point I put all the screws back in and scheduled an appointment at the local Miata shop to do it lol.

I've yet to be pulled over. Hope I don't jinx myself by posting this. Lol

5c1.jpg

This is the best version of this meme lol.

Thanks. Yeah the Audi isn't great in the infotainment area but neither is the Miata. I have no appeal to the 3 or the Toyota. The civic I don't know. I've had an si in the past. It was ok I guess.

As the resident Miata fanboy... that's all I'm going to say lol.

If you really want to get a backup camera for the ND, you can get one here for $350 but you're gonna have to find an installer or install it yourself.

hwalker84

Thinking of finally getting rid of the Jeep (2006 Grand Cherokee). Thing has been solid forever.

Still worth about $3000 for trade in.

Looking at potentially leasing a brand new Subaru Crosstrek. Seems like a good fit for what I want. AWD, and manual. Also they're damn near giving them away. Lease would be $209 a month (not trying to spend a ton with the Hellcat payment).

Jeep has a crack in the a/c. Just got it refilled and it's almost gone (about two weeks ago). Has a crack in the exhaust manifold (est $1000) and new tires. About $2000 for the work at least.

Should I do it now or wait for the 2018 on a completely new platform?

TylerD

Nice. It's always fun eye-balling an alignment before taking it to a shop, isn't it?

"Oh well that looks about right. I'm sure it'll drive fiiiieeeeshit I'm going sideways!"

This is my first time to eyeball an alignment. It's not quite crabbing down the road but I wouldn't drive it if it was any worse. Super fun stuff! It's bad enough that I had my DSC, TPMS, and yellow parking Brake light all light up on the way home yesterday. It's most likely the steering wheel angle sensor and all will be well after the alignment.

I want to trade in my Xterra and lease a new Giulia (not the Quadrafoglio just a Ti +sport). Please tell me how bad an idea this is, because I need help.

That seems like a great idea actually.

A better idea would be the Quadrafoglio but either way you won't go wrong with the Giulia.

And thinking about it, the only reason why I'd say it's a bad idea is if you really care about the manual tranny. It's still supposedly coming, we just don't know when lol.

That seems like a great idea actually.

A better idea would be the Quadrafoglio but either way you won't go wrong with the Giulia.

And thinking about it, the only reason why I'd say it's a bad idea is if you really care about the manual tranny. It's still supposedly coming, we just don't know when lol.

I'm not really interested in the power of the Quadrafoglio, but man not having a manual would bother me. I do not like the feeling of the modern automatics.

Going to be in the market for a new vehicle. Have about $11k for a down payment. Probably going to finance unless I get an apartment closer to work.

Thinking of a Crosstrek or a Jeep Renegade. Both get decent reviews but I like the look of each. Anyone care to chime in and try and persuade me to one side or the other?

hwalker84

Going to be in the market for a new vehicle. Have about $11k for a down payment. Probably going to finance unless I get an apartment closer to work.

Thinking of a Crosstrek or a Jeep Renegade. Both get decent reviews but I like the look of each. Anyone care to chime in and try and persuade me to one side or the other?

I'm thinking of a Crosstrek as well. They have some insane leasing options now and my Jeep is at it's EOL. My Dad has a Jeep Renegade. It's a lot nicer than I thought but the Crosstrek is supposedly better handling on the road and has better gas mileage.

SliChillax

Quadrafoglio...such a fun name to say...Quadrafoglio...Quadrafoglio.....

Quadree-foleeo. Why do people call it QV for short though? What does QV stand for?

I do not like the feeling of the modern automatics.

You don't like the feeling of modern automatics compared to old automatics or compared to manual? In a car like the Giulia everyone says the ZF 8 speed is the better choice, the car doesn't have a good manual transmission.

Quadree-foleeo. Why do people call it QV for short though? What does QV stand for?

It is quite an easy explanation...

Quadrafoglio is latin for "4 lense fog goggles"

It was mainly use by the Greek when driving their chariot during foggy condition.

It gave then quality vision...so fort why they call it QV....

Quadrifoglio Verde, but I don't think anyone outside of the UK or Australia uses the QV short form.

In North America, it's just Quadrifoglio.

I actually got a call back from the Alfa dealership sales lady yesterday(after having a not so great experience a short while ago), letting me know the price may drop in about a month, and to check out the Giulia TI Sport in July.

On one hand, I don't want to get my hopes up, but on the other hand, nothing looks as good as this vehicle right now in it's segment IMO.

You don't like the feeling of modern automatics compared to old automatics or compared to manual? In a car like the Giulia everyone says the ZF 8 speed is the better choice, the car doesn't have a good manual transmission.

Well I guess I don't like automatics in general. Even though the new ones are way better at giving you dynamic control, the speed of the shifts and the extremely tight ratios feel unnatural. I'm a broken record on this but when the shifts are too snappy it removes a lot of character from the engine, especially with the newer turbo engines that always sound like they're farting on upshifts.

Also, whenever I drive a car with a close ratio automatic I always feel like I'm constantly switching gears. 2-3-4-3-4-3-2-3-4-3-2-3-2-3-4-3 through one corner.

I'm exaggerating. I'm a baby. I think I'm just antsy because the 911 is in paint having the ducktail put on and it's taken too long. I'm going into sportscar withdrawal.

SliChillax

Well I guess I don't like automatics in general. Even though the new ones are way better at giving you dynamic control, the speed of the shifts and the extremely tight ratios feel unnatural. I'm a broken record on this but when the shifts are too snappy it removes a lot of character from the engine, especially with the newer turbo engines that always sound like they're farting on upshifts.

Also, whenever I drive a car with a close ratio automatic I always feel like I'm constantly switching gears. 2-3-4-3-4-3-2-3-4-3-2-3-2-3-4-3 through one corner.

I'm exaggerating. I'm a baby. I think I'm just antsy because the 911 is in paint having the ducktail put on and it's taken too long. I'm going into sportscar withdrawal.

I get your point, to each his own :) Personally I love the whip crack sound when I upshift my car and the tighter gear ratios put the car always in the right power band in the rpm. I hate long gearing in general but I do get your point.

Culex

Banned
I REALLY am looking foreword to the Volvo XC40, provided it is AWD. Doesn't seem to be much conversation about it. I hope they don't go the X1 route and delete AWD.

No Love

Banned
Almost didn't make it to type this message, AutoGAF Bros.
On Sunday at 3:20AM I was roughly 5-7 mins from my house going on the 5 South passing La Jolla, going about 80 mph in the second to leftmost lane. Was checking the car to my right and when I looked forward again, I saw it: a dark shape and a pair of head lights coming straight at me. Had about two seconds to react so I dodged right real quick and he whooshed right by me.

Drunk, piece of shit wrong way driver. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since it happened. How close to being obliterated I was.

Keep your eyes peeled late at night and stay safe, guys.

How are the BMW Z4s?

I see all these praises for miatas and fiat 124s but love for the z4

Is it really not that great of a car or is it like a price to fun ratio and or maintenance fees keeping it from buying a good buy?

is it even part of that segment of roadsters or should it be in line with luxury ones?

Everything a Z4 does a Miata does better.
I love BMWs but the Z4 feels like a slug compared to a Miata.

This is my current daily driver. Reliable, does exactly what you need it to do, and is an extremely fun ride. It also looks great in person.

I am coming up on my 2nd year anniversary with it, and no issues thus far.

Yeah, I never gave Mazda much thought but saw one in the parking lot today and was taken back by it. It looked quite nice, especially for the price.

Bandit1

On Sunday at 3:20AM I was roughly 5-7 mins from my house going on the 5 South passing La Jolla, going about 80 mph in the second to leftmost lane. Was checking the car to my right and when I looked forward again, I saw it: a dark shape and a pair of head lights coming straight at me. Had about two seconds to react so I dodged right real quick and he whooshed right by me.

Drunk, piece of shit wrong way driver. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since it happened. How close to being obliterated I was.

Glad you had time to react. Scary stuff.

v1lla21

Fuck, glad you're still and reacted fast.
That's what scares me about driving late at night, drunk drivers.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Damn. Between this and that OT thread, man.

SliChillax

Sounds so scary just reading that, can't imagine experiencing it. Good thing you're fine though.

KRaZyAmmo

man that sounds terrifying. Glad you're safe.

I don't drive my car after midnight and before 6 am. Statistically that is when most drunk driving accidents occur. Glad to see you're safe though!

Yeah, I never gave Mazda much thought but saw one in the parking lot today and was taken back by it. It looked quite nice, especially for the price.

I was in the same boat as you. Never drove a Mazda before this one, but the quality of their build really surprised me. And their warranty coverage is one of the best, if not the best right now out there for an affordable brand of vehicles.

I thought I was going to be disappointed with the 150 HP engine, but you really can't notice it at all(with how agile and fun it is to drive), and when you think about it, anything more wouldn't fit with the kind of CUV it is.

If you get one, I would recommend the GT trim. That's what I got. For the features and options that it provides, it's great for the price.

Evo X

Been watching the 812 Superfast videos on YouTube today. That engine and exhaust sound glorious.

How much longer are cars like that gonna be around before we are all driving electric? :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jaguar E-Pace practically leaked. Very F-Type inspired. It's using a diamond-shaped headlight that's based on the 2018 facelifted F-Type. Interior has a shift knob just like the F-Type, as well. The car is looking lovely and practically finished. Will be revealed very soon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/20/2018-jaguar-e-pace-spy-shots/

Holy shit. Glad you're alive, man. That'd eat at me for a while.

Been watching the 812 Superfast videos on YouTube today. That engine and exhaust sound glorious.

How much longer are cars like that gonna be around before we are all driving electric? :(

Man, honestly...I think Ferrari is going to build a naturally aspirated 1000HP V12 before they give up and fully switch to turbos. I think their V12s will stay NA for a while longer.

Am I the only who teared up when MightyCarMods' Cresta hit 9.9 at the strip?

Something about the 80's music and the excitement behind it was just amazing.

Y'all need to watch it if you haven't... grab some snacks though, it's 30+ minutes of greatness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpfSUKVjYc

Damn, glad you're safe man!

Fetishising the sounds of wasteful energy use by exploding the dinosaurs in the metal box will become as obsolete as the steam engine someday.

The Rimac Concept one, that car that Richard Hammond crashed filming a segment for The Grand Tour, already has the fastest Nurburgring bridge-to-gantry recorded and it's literally the first electric supercar. The exploding dinosaurs are already obsolete.

Glad you are ok....I hate douche bag drivers

Yeah that exhuast sound is soo intoxicating.

Luckly real car enthusiast can still appreciate these cars.

Still have your gt4 bro? Hope you have the time to have fun with it still.

Half of an application form.

Unfortunately after a long deliberating, I am going to retract my offer. Sorry guys...I was hungry and 2 macdoubles were calling my name.

On a serious note...just yesterday I said I dont see much F-type R

But today I say a F-type R convertible!
Such beauty! And that rice krispy sound was so sweet.

It might be the best sounding V8 for me....or maybe tie with an v8 r8...or a 458 with an exhuast....or a f355 with tubi....

Top Bottom