• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i misheard, but the developer talking about dust said it was open world or open something. is that right?

it looks really beautiful as well, very surprised i haven't heard of it before today.

Open world in the Metroid sense. But yeah sounds like there's some character interaction and RPG elements too.

Gowans

Hopefully we see some more XBLA interviews & videos or Noogy can drop somehow info here after this now.

I can't wait for these.

Brakara

Dust looks super awesome.

Also, Noogy, the GiantBomb guys want an interview with you (they were impressed as well according to their PAX day 1 recap).

Noogy

like shadow complex where you access areas with powers or tools you unlock later? wow, its at the top of my want list now. :O

It's sort of a cross between story/sidequest based unlocks, and upgrade based access. Similar to the larger DS Castlevanias. The PAX demo is obviously streamlined to be linear and flashy, but the game is very much an open world with towns, NPCs, and quests.

And thanks everyone for the support! Trying to take in all this feedback has been overwhelming!

Noogy

I cannot keep up with From Dust, Dust 514, Dust Force, and regular Dust. It is worse than Fez, Fez, and Fez.

When did Dust get so popular?

Trust me, I know that feel :p When I started Dust:AET four years ago (my goodness, where did my life go) I figured it was a great unique name. Thankfully most people seem to remain receptive of the game.

Feindflug

That 5 game montage from GS was freakin' awesome (well except Charlie Murder...), Dust especially looked breathtaking - the 60fps paired with the beautiful animations and visuals is a sight to behold. ^_^

It's funny that a lot of people dismiss the XBLA games and not count them towards 360's 2012 line-up...so many great looking titles in there.

Rad-

It's sort of a cross between story/sidequest based unlocks, and upgrade based access. Similar to the larger DS Castlevanias. The PAX demo is obviously streamlined to be linear and flashy, but the game is very much an open world with towns, NPCs, and quests.

And thanks everyone for the support! Trying to take in all this feedback has been overwhelming!

Woah I didn't know that. I'm slightly hyped now.

That Ninja game looks pretty good too.

mujun

More hyped after reading this. Sounds like my kind of game.

So many cool Metroidvania games on DD services the last few years. The fact that Konami has never developed a proper HD Castlevania game for digital platforms has to be one of the most boneheaded moves by a developer this generation. It's an incredible conspicuous absence, and has been for a long time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

So is it a "Walk to the next area, no loading screens" type of ordeal, or will each section have obvious load times, and "zones"? Does it have the big Metroid-style map with drive to complete each little nook and cranny?

Is is pretty great to see how much positive buzz you're getting. I've seen some shifting views on the indie / XBLA presence at Pax (Especially Double Dragon!), but Dust seems to leave people universally impressed!

Trust me, I know that feel :p When I started Dust:AET four years ago (my goodness, where did my life go) I figured it was a great unique name. Thankfully most people seem to remain receptive of the game.

Personally, the only "Dust" related game that even seems half as significant is "From Dust", lol. All the others are just posers and ripoffs! ;)

------

Regarding Charlie Murder: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/722538/charlie-murder-preview-heavy-metal-gaming-dude/

Silva seems to know how to get his gameplay right. Regardless of how the graphics might look (and they say the game is in Alpha, and we've known it's targeting 2013 for release), the gameplay systems sounds well fleshed out.

Thanks to bing rewards I finally have 400 MS points. It doesn't seem like there are any decent 400 point games except Geometry Wars 1. I'm thinking of buying that or saving up or depositing 400 more so I can get the Half Minute Hero game.

Gowans

Man if I was on the XBLA / PSN publishing teams I'd be all over AirMech from the chrome web app store. It's an amazing MOBA perfect for consoles.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks to bing rewards I finally have 400 MS points. It doesn't seem like there are any decent 400 point games except Geometry Wars 1. I'm thinking of buying that or saving up or depositing 400 more so I can get the Half Minute Hero game.

Sales, monthly price drops, DLC, or an army of XBLIGs!
Bunch of SNK games on sale this week (SNK games don't go on sale very often), and the Easter Sale that the UK is having might pop up in the US somehow, so there are loads of options and possibilities.

You might find something you like by looking at the "sales and specials" tab on the dashboard, and looking over the games there were dropped each month. (I always thought Aqua looked pretty good for $5, personally.)

aku:jiki

Good games for 400:

Aces of the Galaxy
Blacklight: Tango Down
Commanders: Attack of the Genos
Contra & Super Contra
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Gatling Gears
Geometry Wars
Gunstar Heroes
Hydrophobia (Yes. The "big patch" made a world of difference.)
NIN2-JUMP
Quarrel
Swarm
The UnderGarden
Uno

And that's from Wikipedia's list, which isn't very updated. There's a bunch of reduced ones that I can't think of off the top of my head.

(I always thought Aqua looked pretty good for $5, personally.)
It really isn't. Gatling Gears is far superior. (They're both steampunk dual stick shooters.)

Dabanton

Been waiting for the game since the first trailer.

Good to see it's on everyones radars now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad to see this game's still alive. Haven't seen anything on it in awhile, but it still looks like a lot of fun.

It's very much alive, and there's even been news and previews of it lately. Their offices were flooded out a bit ago, so they had to move to a new temp space... but they've gotten some new employees since then, and decided that the game will be on Windows-supported Software, as well as XBLA.

The Campaign has gotten a big boost, and it sounds like the overall scale and ambition of the game has grown much since, say, last years PAX. It's a bit annoying to have to wait for the Fall for it to FINALLY come out, but it seems like all the time has been put to great use, to make the game a better and better product over time!

Draconian

Super Time Force gameplay/interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv5Q4nPAI2M

It's very much alive, and there's even been news and previews of it lately. Their offices were flooded out a bit ago, so they had to move to a new temp space... but they've gotten some new employees since then, and decided that the game will be on Windows-supported Software, as well as XBLA.

The Campaign has gotten a big boost, and it sounds like the overall scale and ambition of the game has grown much since, say, last years PAX. It's a bit annoying to have to wait for the Fall for it to FINALLY come out, but it seems like all the time has been put to great use, to make the game a better and better product over time!

That's great to hear. I'm watching the quick look they did with Giant Bomb awhile ago, and am liking what I'm seeing. The fact that they're taking their time and making it even better is a really good sign.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
On another note: is Trouble Witches Neo worth 400 MSP?

Yup. I felt it was as weighty as a retail shooter release like Deathsmiles, personally. Even if the voicework is comically bad in that "rounds back to MST3K Time!" way, the fact it has JP and ENG voices, individual stories and endings for each girl, the oriiginal PC version alongside the HD'd port, and fun leaderboard chasing minimodes made it a very satisfying game at full price, so 400 is a steal.

You can see all our impressions from it's release / 1 other time it's been on sale, in the info / unofficial OT we had here.

hitoshi

Yup. I felt it was as weighty as a retail shooter release like Deathsmiles, personally. Even if the voicework is comically bad in that "rounds back to MST3K Time!" way, the fact it has JP and ENG voices, individual stories and endings for each girl, the oriiginal PC version alongside the HD'd port, and fun leaderboard chasing minimodes made it a very satisfying game at full price, so 400 is a steal.

You can see all our impressions from it's release / 1 other time it's been on sale, in the info / unofficial OT we had here.

Thank you. I really really disliked the trial, so... :) (and i still can't buy Doom, even though it's rated 16+. Thanks, region lock.)

aku:jiki

Ghostbusters and Star Raiders are awful IIRC. Blade Kitten keeps tempting me but I played the trial level and it went on for about seven hours and felt like it'd never end.

Undergarden is nice if you're in the mood for something chilled, definitely worth $3.
UnderGarden is the only good game in that list if you ask me. All of Blade Kittens levels are seven hours long and pretty uninteresting overall. The controls and physics really start to suck after a while too.

Yup. I felt it was as weighty as a retail shooter release like Deathsmiles, personally.[/URL]
What makes you say that, though? I mean, there are almost nothing but weighty shmups on XBLA. Ikaruga, RSG, Guwange, Triggerheart, Sine Mora, Space Invaders IG, R-Type...

So I was thinking about buying Limbo last night. Check it out on the store, and am shocked to see it's STILL $15.

Almost 2 years since release, and they still want full price? Really?

So I was thinking about buying Limbo last night. Check it out on the store, and am shocked to see it's STILL $15.

They're still selling a good chunk of copies, so they are not that interested in lowering the price (at least that was the situation back in January when I last talked to them).

Why would you think that wouldn't be the case? Very few games get permanent price drops, especially really popular ones. It has also gone on sale several times so the opportunity to get it for cheaper than full price has been there. I know I got it on sale a while back, I forget how much exactly though.

They're still selling a good chunk of copies, so they are not that interested in lowering the price (at least that was the situation back in January when I last talked to them).

Why would you think that wouldn't be the case? Very few games get permanent price drops, especially really popular ones. It has also gone on sale several times so the opportunity to get it for cheaper than full price has been there. I know I got it on sale a while back, I forget how much exactly though.

I guess I'm just sick of Microsoft's pricing shenanigans. Their $20, $15, $10, $5 pricing tiers are not an accident.

It's all designed around keeping prices higher. I shudder at the thought of Microsoft eventually being in total control of all game prices.

TheOddOne

I guess I'm just sick of Microsoft's pricing shenanigans. Their $20, $15, $10, $5 pricing tiers are not an accident.

It's all designed around keeping prices higher. I shudder at the thought of Microsoft eventually being in total control of all game prices.
Be smart and buy the points cheaper, got a 2400 pts card for 10 bucks. Always look out for deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom