• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Is there a thread with XBLA title recommendations? I've only played a few XBLA titles like Sploison Man and Shadow Complex and I don't know what other games are out there that are considered top tier that I should get. Don't know if asking here is the right place and I don't feel like making a thread just for that.
With 500 games on the service, you have to help us out by naming a genre or two. For example, I was asked to make a list of platformers on it the other day and I was surprised to find that not only are there dozens, but most of them are good too! That might not be true for every genre, but all of them have something worth checking out.

Is there a thread with XBLA title recommendations? I've only played a few XBLA titles like Sploison Man and Shadow Complex and I don't know what other games are out there that are considered top tier that I should get. Don't know if asking here is the right place and I don't feel like making a thread just for that.

You can look here. Also, here for some slightly older recommendations.

If it's of any use to you I've got a list of top rated XBLA games (according to Metacritic) organised by score and year of release over here: http://www.grcade.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5

For more specific suggestions, what genres are you into?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
In the last two weeks MS have trademarked Joyride Arcade, Joyride Boost and Avatar Motocross Madness.

Exciting times, I want more racers on XBLA. It's literally the only genre with no stand-out title.

I did kind of enjoy Things on Wheels and Mad Tracks, mind.

If you guys are still looking for some thoughts on Dust, the guys talked a little about it in the PAX Wrap-up podcast we just put up on XBLAFans. Don't have a specific time though sorry, they do talk about pretty much all the games that were there though so I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen. Got plenty of previews up already too with more coming (including Dust).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just reading through some PAX write-ups on various sites, and it made me wonder -

What happened to The Behemoth?

They release Castle Crashers back in 08, numerous multiplayer bugs but the game did gangbusters.

Fast forward to now, they seem to have been talking about and showing off BattleBlock Theatre for ages and I think the game is even due this year... yet there is no hype.

The game seems to get barely any coverage from these events or in general. It's really weird how they are coming off the back of something so big yet literally no-one seems interested in what they're doing now.

What does everyone else think?

Draconian

If people actually thought Battleblock Theater was coming out anytime soon, it would get more coverage and interest. The last preview I saw was sometime last year, and it was made known the game was still nowhere near being done. This is just the sort of stuff that happens when you announce and show off a game years before it comes out. As we're seeing with FEZ though, interest will come around come release time.

What does everyone else think?
I think it's just the fact that they've been milking CC for all they can and have been sitting on Battleblock for way too long. The official trailer is over two years old! We can only stay hyped for a game for so long...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If people actually thought Battleblock Theater was coming out anytime soon, it would get more coverage and interest. The last preview I saw was sometime last year, and it was made known the game was still nowhere near being done. This is just the sort of stuff that happens when you announce and show off a game years before it comes out. As we're seeing with FEZ though, interest will come around come release time.

They announced the game back in... 09?? And it's still not coming this year? That's kind of crazy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Battleblock... for me:

>> Castle Crashers was in a genre I really wanted to see a new game in. BatBlock... maybe?

>> Character style doesn't stand out as much. This probably won't matter much in the end, but for now, it looks over-simplified.

>> This was suppose to be their "We don't spend forever getting it out! It's just a quick project!" game! And... errr... fission mailed?

>> It was compared to Raskulls like... 2 years ago. That game came out, was great, and now... err... Battle Block? WHERE ARE YOUUUUU?

I'm sure it'll gain hype as it REALLY reaches release (expecially if they reveal Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid look-alikes for the game, or special incentives in BB, from owning their previous games), but for now, it's assumed vaporware until proven near-release, haha.

I wish Battleblock would have been, say, a solid, refined, awesome version of the VS mode from castle crashers, polished up, refined, and with an insane amount of characters. I could have seen THAT being a quick project, especially if they made it something crazy like an XBLA All-stars MOAB or something, lol.

quickwhips

I played battleblock and it was awesome at pax. Day one when it comes out. I think more hype as release gets closer. Why hype it right now?

Ryan_IGN

Ahem. :)

Today's games are up! Downloading Skullgirls now. 1.19GB. Game is looking good and plays well, it reminds me a lot of a Melty Blood type fighter. Very fast and technical. I don't know about the talk about it being beginner friendly though... I'm not a big fighter player and the very first opponent in arcade absolutely tore me to shreds, relentlessly so. Didn't even get a chance to see what button does what before the AI got started with special moves and character switches. The demo only allows you to view lesson 1 for all the tutorials too, so I'm not sure it's a great idea for them to make the demo hard. I was certainly turned off a little.

The Splatters is pretty fun! I was expecting it to control like Puddle but it's actually closer to Worms, at least the levels in the demo. And it was somehow oddly compelling to make stuff splatter everywhere, sort of like how it's always fun to mess around with the limp whip in Castlevania games. I can't put my finger on it, I just wanted to do more of it for no reason.

World Gone Sour ended up being US only. It seems like a fun idea but the controls seem insane, why are they SO fast and loose? If the game gets hard, that's going to completely ruin it...

Noogy

There was a Battleblock thing on PlayXBLA like 25 minutes ago

I had the pleasure of doing a few rounds of BBT with Tom Fulp, and it was an absolute blast. It was awesome playing through puzzles that even 'he' hadn't tried, and just laughing to our deaths. The game is tight, looks beautiful in person, and I'm excited to see how it does.

Gowans

Splatters is ok, it's on the wrong platform, it would do great as a iPhone game, very Angry Birds. It's a bit too much for me as a 800point XBLA game.

Splatters is ok, it's on the wrong platform, it would do great as a iPhone game, very Angry Birds. It's a bit too much for me as a 800point XBLA game.

I don't think you'd be able to play it on iPhone, you need a joystick and buttons. I'm not hugely impressed with it though. It was loads of fun for the first hour but when the levels get more difficult the physics are way too unpredictable to actually provide much enjoyment.

Adam J.

Hell Yeah! looks incredible and definitely deserves more hype. So glad to see Arkedo have get a big named publisher behind them.

legbone

i agree. hell yeah looks amazing. when i saw the original announcement trailer i didn't know what to expect from the gameplay, but now that i have seen the gameplay i am definitely sold.

Rawker

Just played Anomaly warzone trial and after 2 min i bought it. This is a must have for fans of defense grid or any other tower defense games. Sick game design where you control a convoy and its path on the fly through enemy territory. It was cheap to at only 800 ms pts.

Fez is up! Go go go go!

Would so buy a new proper castlevania with graphics like this (or even a SOTN remake actually) full price day one.
Would so hard.
But you wouldn't buy Dust, or what? :p

(As if that would ever happen... Itagaki would have to stop recycling sprites for that! The horror! Madness!)

TEJ

Fez is up! Go go go go!

But you wouldn't buy Dust, or what? :p

(As if that would ever happen... Itagaki would have to stop recycling sprites for that! The horror! Madness!)

Oh you. Itagaki is the guy who makes badass ninja games and titty fighter boobsplosion games, not metroidvania titles!

joshwaan

Powered on my Xbox first time in a while other night enjoying a lot of titles again. I'm going to finally finsh RDR, yeah I know don't laugh have not got around to it. I reackon I put about 150 hours into Demon Souls damn that game is good.

Anyways reason I posting in this thread is just want to say how fucking raped us Australia's get on XBL. This week COD pack deals with few demos and no games on demand deals as you fucking kidding me!

I mean I might sound little to cry baby here but they have 310 or so titles on GOD and none discounted.

PSN and no I love both Sony and Microsoft but PSN has so many good deals on both US and AUS servers.

I mean the Game of Demands are a fucking joke. I signed up to a US XBL account just to compare we are getting raped hard hehe.

Anyways I just wanted to ask since not used XBL in a while. Do they ever have Games on Demand deals? or does Microsoft Australia want me to keep buying second hand and new Disc titles half the price?

Anyways that my rant take it easy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom