• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

I guess I'm just sick of Microsoft's pricing shenanigans. Their $20, $15, $10, $5 pricing tiers are not an accident.

It's all designed around keeping prices higher. I shudder at the thought of Microsoft eventually being in total control of all game prices.

I'm fairly sure Limbo has been on sale for half price multiple times since launch day. I think publishers have the right to do permanent price drops but apparently Limbo is still selling here and there.

I guess I'm just sick of Microsoft's pricing shenanigans. Their $20, $15, $10, $5 pricing tiers are not an accident.

It's all designed around keeping prices higher. I shudder at the thought of Microsoft eventually being in total control of all game prices.

I actually think if MS were in control and there was no backlash or demands from Gamestop, it would actually be more akin to Steam then anything else.

Oh and speaking of Limbo has the artwork for their next game been published on gaf?

Playdead has already revealed it? This is the first time I'm hearing about it.

It's been semi-revealed for a long time here in Denmark since they applied for funding at the Danish Film Institutes - Game Program, where they were awarded a million to help make the game.

In short:

- Game is in color
- Puzzles
- Sidescroller
- Built on Unity this time
- Currently called Project 2 (it's not a sequel to Limbo, the investors wanted that so Playdead decided to use all of their profits to buy out the investors)
- 360, PS3, PC
- Story revolves around a boy that tries to survive dark forces that are trying to take over the world using questionable experiments on the human body.

Artwork:

PROJECT%202.ashx

I saw some really early prototype stuff back in 2010, and talked with some of the guys a few months ago and it sounds like the game has shifted focus since 2010, so I can't say that I know too much about the gameplay this time, only discussed a few of the puzzles they have in the game, and they all sound very Limbo like.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What makes you say that, though? I mean, there are almost nothing but weighty shmups on XBLA. Ikaruga, RSG, Guwange, Triggerheart, Sine Mora, Space Invaders IG, R-Type...

The only ones up there I'd compare in quantity of overall content are the ones that have been ported from previous console-releases. And even then, they don't all feel as if they have as much content as TWN, really.

TWN! has full screen character art for each main character, their familiar, and the bosses, drawn in the HD-style, and the original PC art style, for example, which also show different emotions in the art. All these character encounters are fully voiced, in 2 different languages. Along with this, it has different story and voicework for arcade and story modes, as well as multi-image openings and endings in the story mode, for each character.

It just feels like a higher-class port than many others. It feels more like an arcade conversion with all the console-friendly bells-and-whistles added, rather than a straight arcade port, where little was done to add value.

TWN also had an unlockable character if I remember right, and a cheap (like 2 bucks?) DLC character, each of which were treated to the full set of options (Seperate leaderboards for bonus modes, arcade and story stuff), and didn't feel like shoe-horned in bonuses, which got any less attention than the main cast.

Of the games you listed up there, I'd say it's more in line with the content Sine Mora shows (with it's deep story and arcade modes, as well as an unlock like it's alt story), rather than, say, Triggerheart, or Space Invaders. TH feels like a simple, bare-bones arcade expereience, and SI's minimalistic graphics / presentation is the exact kind of thing that screams "Made specificially for downloads and quick consumption!" to me. Not that there's anything WRONG with that, but it doesn't make me think "Man, I would have been totally happy paying 30/40 bucks for this on PS2!", like Sine Mora or TWN! do.

I actually think if MS were in control and there was no backlash or demands from Gamestop, it would actually be more akin to Steam then anything else.

Oh and speaking of Limbo has the artwork for their next game been published on gaf?

Even Steam isn't safe from retailer pressure. Boxed copies of Valve games cost just as much as the download versions.

aku:jiki

It just feels like a higher-class port than many others. It feels more like an arcade conversion with all the console-friendly bells-and-whistles added, rather than a straight arcade port, where little was done to add value.
But that isn't true for any of the games I listed either. Ikaruga, RSG and Guwange have been expanded from their arcade counterparts with replay-saving, arrange modes and a myriad of features. Space Invaders has multiple game modes, an arcade mode that's even longer than Sine Mora's and, come on, it has minimalistic graphics for a very obvious reason that certainly is not "saving money on textures." R-Type is a full remake of not one but two games... I mean, to each their own, but I'm not seeing it. Zeit2 and old stuff like Scramble are the only paper thin shmups on XBLA as far as I'm concerned.

toythatkills said:
Wouldn't surprise me if World Gone Sour was US only though.
Why are they still, like a hundred years later, so incredibly bad at announcing details like that? How in the fuck is it that they can't just hire an intern to make upcoming release lists? So frustrating.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
But that isn't true for any of the games I listed either. Ikaruga, RSG and Guwange have been expanded from their arcade counterparts with replay-saving, arrange modes and a myriad of features. Space Invaders has multiple game modes, an arcade mode that's even longer than Sine Mora's and, come on, it has minimalistic graphics for a very obvious reason that certainly is not "saving money on textures." R-Type is a full remake of not one but two games... I mean, to each their own, but I'm not seeing it. Zeit2 and old stuff like Scramble are the only paper thin shmups on XBLA as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it's a hard things to say exactly. Not trying to insult The Treasure games or Guwange. Speaking more of the work and polish given to each element mentioned.

Yeah, I understand (and respect!) Space invaders graphic style, but it's the kinda thing that a person makes, while thinking "This game is going to be sold for a few bucks..." rather than "this game has to compete with other games on retail shelfs". (That was moreso Space invaders Extreme's place...)

R-Type's level of HD remake is quite impressive, especially for 2 games, but it still feels like 2 "simple" arcade experiences (no real presentation of a backstory, no between-stage interactions, etc), rather than something that was made with a personal, at-home experience in mind. (It's one of few XBLA games I'm waiting to go on sale, too... The other being Raystorm, and mostly only because I already own 2 or 3 copies of the game already, haha.)

TWN! just suprised me in doing things that even retail games don't always do. Such as keeping both styles of character art in the game, 100%, was a nice surprise. Avoiding the easy storymode trick of "make boss character dialog open-ended, so that any character can pull out a reply!", and instead giving totally unique intro and outro convos to each encounter, per player character, was a nice touch (especially since it was all voiced). The way each Main Chara + Familiar had comments to make while looking at the tutoral / help menus, or how each mode had leaderboards, and the ability to download the top replays (even with Hidden / DLC characters, which many games would just ignore)... It's just got those little extra layers of detail that many DLC (and retail!) games seem to have lost since things have gone HD.

Any more footage of this come out of PAX yet? I've seen a short clip in a random YouTube video and some more in the GameSpot '5 indie games in 5 minutes' vid but that's it.

That's all I've seen, too. For all the people calling it their PAX game-of-show, we need some direct feed gameplay!

Noggy, how about recording a play/walkthrough of your 15-minute PAX demo? ;)

eso76

i find myself a lot more interested in XBLA releases than retail games lately.

Buying Dust and Mark of the ninja day one no doubt. And Trials Evolution.

Possibly Skullgirls, Time force and Fez too.

It's been like that for me since I bought my xbox360 four years ago. In fact, I only bought it specifically to play XBLA games!
I have bought two retail games though over the years though. haha

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Buying Dust and Mark of the ninja day one no doubt. And Trials Evolution.

Possibly Skullgirls, Time force and Fez too.
This month is insane. I'm getting a new 250GB HDD solely for XBLA.

bradigor

I'll trial Skullgirls. As much as I love the look of it, it isn't the sort of game I usually get on with.

I already have The Splatters and I am very impressed, well presented and the mechanics work rather well.

Hoping World Gone Sour does get released outside the US, it is becoming annoying that more and more games on XBLA are be regionalised.

Fez... Pretty much a no brainer for me that one.

I'll trial Skullgirls. As much as I love the look of it, it isn't the sort of game I usually get on with.

Not sure whether that's because (like me) you struggle to get on with fighting games in general, but I recall reading an article at some point yesterday, where they said that they're trying to make the game accessible to newcomers of the genre as well as those already well versed in it.

They haven't really streamlined it I don't think, but placed a big emphasis on tutorials that actually teach the player enough of the basics to jump in and start having fun.

Will try and find it; but I was half asleep :p

Either way, it piqued my interest because I absolutely love the idea of competitive fighting games (typically 1v1, quick and tense match ups which reward skill) but absolutely suck at learning them - usually whenever I try and look up tutorials it assumes that I'm already into the genre.

bradigor

Not sure whether that's because (like me) you struggle to get on with fighting games in general, but I recall reading an article at some point yesterday, where they said that they're trying to make the game accessible to newcomers of the genre as well as those already well versed in it.

They haven't really streamlined it I don't think, but placed a big emphasis on tutorials that actually teach the player enough of the basics to jump in and start having fun.

Will try and find it; but I was half asleep :p

Either way, it piqued my interest because I absolutely love the idea of competitive fighting games (typically 1v1, quick and tense match ups which reward skill) but absolutely suck at learning them - usually whenever I try and look up tutorials it assumes that I'm already into the genre.

That sounds interesting actually.

I didn't want to just dismiss it based on previous experience with fighters (I suck at StreetFighter for example) so good to hear developers have potentially made it accessible.

That sounds interesting actually.

I didn't want to just dismiss it based on previous experience with fighters (I suck at StreetFighter for example) so good to hear developers have potentially made it accessible.

Found it! Link

Yeah, I've tried getting into various SF games but as a new player it always felt really daunting.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I had the extreme pleasure of meeting & chatting with him @ PAX. This, combined with the 25mins I got with the game after the show ended, were definitely show highlights for me.

The game is something special, that I guarantee.

Great to hear! If it motivates you guys into making a 2D sidescrolling brawler similiar to gameplay of Dungeons and Dragons by Capcom, but with designs like those of Clash of Heroes, I don't think any of us would complain... ;-)

Daigoro

Be smart and buy the points cheaper, got a 2400 pts card for 10 bucks. Always look out for deals.

oh please. what was this 5 years ago? do they even have 2400 pt cards anymore?

ive never seen a points deal even remotely this good. why do people whip out the most extreme example of a deal when trying to prove a point to someone who complains about pricing?

silly.

triggaz

Banned
oh please. what was this 5 years ago? do they even have 2400 pt cards anymore?

ive never seen a points deal even remotely this good. why do people whip out the most extreme example of a deal when trying to prove a point to someone who complains about pricing?

silly.

thank you. I know I'm not scouring the fucking interwebs looking for cheap points.

I did just get $100 worth of points for $76 from newegg. But it was using a coupon for 20% off xbox accessories that was unique to my email address.

I miss that your360connection site where you could get $50 for like $30-40 every few weeks or so.

Noogy

I had the extreme pleasure of meeting & chatting with him @ PAX. This, combined with the 25mins I got with the game after the show ended, were definitely show highlights for me.

The game is something special, that I guarantee.

Trust me, the pleasure was all mine! I'm such a fan of what you guys do, and it was great to finally see Super Time Force in person! Again, congrats on getting that on XBLA, easily one of my favorite games at the show!

nasos_333

Ouch man, ouch. It hurts me how fantastic this game looks.

Indeed, Dust is one of the most amazing games for sure, the HD 2D art is out of this world and animation seems as amazing as it could get

I love the characters presentation in dialogs too, really amazing work

Cant wait to see more environments and monsters

I would gladly pay 60$ for that game, that is for sure

LogicStep

Is there a thread with XBLA title recommendations? I've only played a few XBLA titles like Sploison Man and Shadow Complex and I don't know what other games are out there that are considered top tier that I should get. Don't know if asking here is the right place and I don't feel like making a thread just for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom