• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: Photomode |OT| The better you look, the more you can get away with.

Vein

Banned
Wow is the IQ is really that bad without photo-mode? game is really disappointing visually :/

Seriously, you people are insane. This is coming from someone with a very nice PC. This game has really good IQ for console. Certain cars have some fender sub-pixel stuff.

This game's graphics are basically better than most anything out there in totality on console simulation games.

Melchiah

Finally the still images do the game some justice.

i1ciwzvHkvvRQ.jpg

ibiBwI1X4rR9Cx.jpg

ibxBGFlvvSuzzY.jpg

Nyx

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I stand by mine. Whilst it can look really pretty, sometimes it looks really rough too, as some of the screens posted in here will attest.

Oh I didn't mean to say you could not have this opinion, to each his own.

But I stand by mine as well, calling this game one of the worst looking on PS4 to me is nonsense. ;-)

Oh I didn't mean to say you could not have this opinion, to each his own.

But I stand by mine as well, calling this game one of the worst looking on PS4 to me is nonsense. ;-)

To be fair, I didn't say thought it was one of the worst looking games on PS4, but one of the worst looking I own on PS4.

Anyhow, lets just agree to disagree. Some of the photo mode shots look really nice.

Noobcraft

Seriously, you people are insane. This is coming from someone with a very nice PC. This game has really good IQ for console. Certain cars have some fender sub-pixel stuff.

This game's graphics are basically better than most anything out there in totality on console simulation games.
Lol what does that even mean?
The game has its upsides (lighting, car models, volumetric clouds, draw distance) but Image Quality is not one of its strong points. I'd argue it's actually worse than the majority of racers out there.
Here are a few screenshots I took pre-photomode update (I don't want to link it directly, it's not pretty enough for this thread)
http://abload.de/img/driveclub_20141010161p9a2l.jpg
http://abload.de/img/driveclub_201410101509oy5o.jpg
http://abload.de/img/driveclub_20141010152wzxiv.jpg
http://abload.de/img/driveclub_20141010160thacq.jpg

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Lol what does that even mean?
The game has its upsides (lighting, car models, volumetric clouds, draw distance) but Image Quality is not one of its strong points. I'd argue it's actually worse than the majority of racers out there.
Can you provide examples?

Putty

It does look far better at night, dusk or dawn than it does in daylight. Night races look fantastic. I'm sure night racing in the rain will be pretty special.

I'm interested to see if the AA is improved after this update as that is my biggest gripe with the way the game looks.

I certainly don't think DC is the graphical showcase it looked like it was going to be. Aside from Lego Marvel and FIFA, this is probably the worst looking game I own on PS4.

LMAO.

VanWinkle

Quick test shot. Seems they're using proper bokeh-based DoF instead of the horrible blur-implementation they have elsewhere in the game. I'm liking the various settings, and am looking forward to diving into it further.

10380220_10154829317450626_1614464327437621501_o.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quick test shot. Seems they're using proper bokeh-based DoF instead of the horrible blur-implementation they have elsewhere in the game. I'm liking the various settings, and am looking forward to diving into it further.

need a photo with reflection off the tiles in that tunnel

Sande

DC really should have released with this. Pics in the screenshot thread were very unflattering, especially next to Forza Horizon 2.

eso76

the game's visuals works really well in motion.
It's a visually stunning game and kudos to Evo for focusing on stuff that you'll actually see and make a difference in overall visual presentation, while most other racers (games) lose their focus by wasting resources on stuff you are never going to notice unless you stop your car and zoom into the scenery.

It's a more organic approach that really pays off imho, instead of focusing on microdetail and single elements and then just slapping them together.

It does look far better at night, dusk or dawn than it does in daylight. Night races look fantastic. I'm sure night racing in the rain will be pretty special.

I'm interested to see if the AA is improved after this update as that is my biggest gripe with the way the game looks.

I certainly don't think DC is the graphical showcase it looked like it was going to be. Aside from Lego Marvel and FIFA, this is probably the worst looking game I own on PS4.

ibxs2cWWA46swU.gif

To be fair, I didn't say thought it was one of the worst looking games on PS4, but one of the worst looking I own on PS4.

Anyhow, lets just agree to disagree. Some of the photo mode shots look really nice.

Come on man, DC and worst looking don't go together. I can't take a comment like this seriously. It's a sick looking game if not the best looking racing game right now. Go play that Canada stage with the bridge and try to say that with a straight face... I was personally floored by the graphics in some parts. Yes some tracks are not so nice because Evolution went with photorealism instead of art-styling the game but you can't fault them for that.

Have u accepted my club invite yet?! Lol

Noticed there were only two people in your club so I invited both of you. I had two empty slots in mine.

I'm not really up to scratch on photography, so I'm not really sure how to take a good photo. Messing around though and got what (I think) are semi-decent results. Both of a similar angle. It seems more difficult to get a nice looking picture from any other angle. Also, I really like the "Driveclub" frame.

I should also mention that these look (for some reason) a lot more washed out, colour wise, than they do on the console.

For the first photo I only really wanted the Alfa Romeo 4C to be in focus, with the track and competitors blurry.

For the second photo I was just messing around with shutter speed to make the road look blurry but with the car still in focus.

Boyzi

Banned
Photo Mode is all very lovely, and all, but where's my 'Weather Update' Evolution, that's what I want to know????? LOL

Danlord

Took some photos after Uni today, thoroughly impressed with this Photo Mode compared to others.

Comparison of just entering Photo Mode versus Processed Photo Mode:
Before
After
It's best to view in separate tabs, but notice the AA is much cleaner, distant trees props props have more density, shadows are better, the bridge right at the back of the shot has discernible details in its railings compared to a jagged mess from before.

I took this photo too, because the sky looks really poor compared to other settings, it looks low resolution

Some good shots I took earlier. These I'm impressed with.

DLxHY9Z.jpg

qBxbWoj.jpg

22movRD.jpg

Really, really impressed with Photo Mode. I'm creating some fairly decent shots myself, and this is before the weather patch. When that releases, this thread is going to explode.

Prototype

While it does look good, photo mode isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. Seems like in GT or Forza when you take pics you get a big IQ and effect leap. The photo mode images here don't look like that different from the regular game.

While it does look good, photo mode isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. Seems like in GT or Forza when you take pics you get a big IQ and effect leap. The photo mode images here don't look like that different from the regular game.

I honestly prefer it this way, they still look good and it's actually representative of what the game looks like.

Because this game already looks spectacular, so it does need any effects like those games to make it look better and these images looks excellent.

Which is why I never cared for photomode. What's the point if it doesn't reflect what you're playing?

cool gfx stuff

physical based shading rocks:

pbs28s0h.jpg

dispersion (rainbow) in the backlights:

dispersion4tssu.jpg

^edit: also love how the tarmac is reflected in the rim around the diffuser

POM, SSR, wastefully highres (for flying by at 150MPH) wall textures:

pomc6sa9.jpg

all with no filtering

Great stuff you guys.

But man, those comments on their Facebook post about the update. I don't get why people like/follow their page just to talk about how they bought an Xbox because Driveclub sucks. Get a fucking life.

Anyways, can't wait to mess around with this at some point.

Top Bottom