• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Next /Xbox 720 / Durango Patent?

Reiko

Banned
So in other words everybody's fucked? I mean, if we believe the lowest of the 720 rumors then we have to believe the worst of the PS4 rumors too. Damn. All those next-generation engines with no hardware to run them :(

LMAO

Now this really sounds like a possible bait & switch to throw the competition off guard. No way Sony will bite.

Also, from Sony's conference at E3, when Beyond: Two Souls came up, it was nothing but Jack stating "these graphics only possible on PS3" and shit. And the main thing about that game is how detailed it looks, and Sony knows that much at least.

El_Chino

I'm going to assume that since their 2010 projection of 4x-6x>X360 Microsoft has since updated it to 6x-8x>X360 after getting feedback from developers.

1UPhw.png

USC-fan

Banned
from the rumors & leaked specs The Gaming Part is 4 - 6X the power of the Xbox 360

I'll just post what I posted on BY3D.

Leaked Documents 4X - 6X Xbox 360 for games

Info that we have heard about the Next Xbox 1 - 1.5 TFLOPS

Xbox 360 GPU 240 GFLOPS

6X 240 GFLOPS = 1.44 TFLOPS

We already had Lherre come out and say the PS4 will be 10x and x720 will be more powerful than that.

Nothing in this specs confirms any kind of performance so I have no idea why people are running with this stuff. Too funny...

It also said in the docs 6x-8x, we just going with worst case here?

We already had Lherre come out and say the PS4 will be 10x and x720 will be more powerful than that.

Nothing in this specs confirms any kind of performance so I have no idea why people are running with this stuff. Too funny...

You pick and chose what you want to run with all the time. No need to laugh at people doing the same thing as you.

onQ123

It also said in the docs 6x-8x, we just going with worst case here?

Nothing in this specs confirms any kind of performance so I have no idea where people are running with this stuff. Too funny...

Wrong you just don't understand what you seen. nowhere in the documents did you see 6-8X the Xbox 360 for games it only said that the performance target (X360) ~8X that's the full system but only 6X the power of the Xbox 360 will be used for games because of the media stuff & Kinect.

from the documents

"
Key Talking Points:

Next Gen Gaming/Kinect
720 and Kinect v2 will afford creators and publishers the ability to design and build the next generation of core experiences.

Specifics:

Game developers can tap into full CPU power of the platform, leveraging 6x improvement in graphics, dedicated application processing and systems pools, complete separation in NUI and game engine resources
Kinect Device will have better FoV, better depth, better voice support and higher tolerance for variable lighting scenarios

A new and more accurate Kinect sensor and fully dedicated application and system resources will enable the delivery of a whole new generation of Kinect enabled experiences. "

USC-fan

Banned
You pick and chose what you want to run with all the time. No need to laugh at people doing the same thing as you.
thanks for adding great comments to this thread.

Wrong you just don't understand what you seen. nowhere in the documents did you see 6-8X the Xbox 360 for games it only said that the performance target (X360) ~8X that's the full system but only 6X the power of the Xbox 360 will be used for games because of the media stuff & Kinect.

from the documents

"
Key Talking Points:

Next Gen Gaming/Kinect
720 and Kinect v2 will afford creators and publishers the ability to design and build the next generation of core experiences.

Specifics:

Game developers can tap into full CPU power of the platform, leveraging 6x improvement in graphics, dedicated application processing and systems pools, complete separation in NUI and game engine resources
Kinect Device will have better FoV, better depth, better voice support and higher tolerance for variable lighting scenarios

A new and more accurate Kinect sensor and fully dedicated application and system resources will enable the delivery of a whole new generation of Kinect enabled experiences. "

Its says AAA games 4x-6x > Xbox 360 on page 5 and page 6 both say "games" not performance. Maybe this means game performance.
On page 8, 6x performance
On page 9, perf target 8x
In appendix: 720: > 6x perf + 360 back compat. Always on, low power, green

Reading this last statement, its has greater than 6x performance . Again this was taken from 2010. We has Lherre saying the ps4 is 10x ps3 and Xbox 720 is greater than that. Then you have ign dev survey saying Xbox will be more powerful.

thanks for adding great comments to this thread.

Its says AAA games 4x-6x > Xbox 360 on page 5 and page 6 both say "games" not performance. Maybe this means game performance.
On page 8, 6x performance
On page 9, perf target 8x
In appendix: 720: > 6x perf + 360 back compat. Always on, low power, green

Reading this last statement, its has greater than 6x performance . Again this was taken from 2010. We has Lherre saying the ps4 is 10x ps3 and Xbox 720 is greater than that. Then you have ign dev survey saying Xbox will be more powerful.

Don't mean to sound dickish or whatever, but I was under the impression this was understood? The Xbox 8 will be powerful, but games will only get to harness "4-6x" the power of the 360 because the rest of that is allocated elsewhere.

USC-fan

Banned
I try.

And that 10x comes from the target specs, not lherre. That's where he got it from.

I know you try too hard.

So where does his comment on x720 is more powerful when he was given ps4 target specs?

Don't mean to sound dickish or whatever, but I was under the impression this was understood? The Xbox 8 will be powerful, but games will only get to harness "4-6x" the power of the 360 because the rest of that is allocated elsewhere.
not sure how anything could be understood at this point sine we know nothing about the system besides a leak from 2010. Both these patents and road map are from 2010.

We have devs stating the x720 is more powerful than ps4 now. We have target specs of 1.8 flop gpu in ps4. At that spec its 7.5x x360 just in flops.

not sure how anything could be understood at this point sine we know nothing about the system besides a leak from 2010. Both these patents and road map are from 2010.

We have devs stating the x720 is more powerful than ps4 now. We have target specs of 1.8 flop gpu in ps4. At that spec its 7.5x x360 just in flops.

Yes.. the 720 is more powerful overall, but the full hardware of the 720 isn't available for games. Also, do you expect them to change courses in 2011 or 2012? Hardware specifics aren't final but designs are. You can't keep changing the architecture if you expect developers to make software for it.

This is what I fear. They've shown ZERO effort in implementing serves for anything outside of NA. Not only that, but many places are broadband limited... they are severally limiting their consumer base IMO.
Charging for Internet access keeps Xbox from countries in the EU that require FREE access to the publicly funded content like BBC. For this reason and the Browser being released on the XBOX for the first time at the end of this year, I expect a Free Internet access tier. This will open/allow BBC IPTV on the Xbox.

OnQ123; no need for me to comment as you have it 100% correct. Serving handhelds Xbox 720 games is why QOS is needed (already mentioned by Mrklaw). OpenCL 1.2 and the AMD designs allows partitioning of GPU for different threads and Low Power modes are supported in multiple ways on AMD hardware from clock speed to turning off portions of the GPU and # of CPUs running (Diagrams don't need to be taken at face value as different hardware). Some method to determine what needs to be on and what is in low power mode is needed (QOS). Further it could have 10X the performance of a Xbox360 UNTIL a handheld logged in and wanted to play a serious game needing resources, that is a QOS decision. Priority is assumed to be the 720 game being played locally.

And we have this speculation of a $99 Xbox 720 subsidized by a Cable company.

Seeing how much butt ARM and PowerVR are kicking and how cheap they are.

A part of me wants a $199-299 Windows 8 Mobile based Xbox packing a 16 core cortex a15 cpu, 4gbs of fast ram, and 6th generation 16 core PowerVR gpu. Oh and yeah XBMC support!

With a set up like that, MS could drop the price down to $99 by 2014-2015.

A part of me wants a $199-299 Windows 8 Mobile based Xbox packing a 16 core cortex a15 cpu, 4gbs of fast ram, and 6th generation 16 core PowerVR gpu. Oh and yeah XBMC support!

With a set up like that, MS could drop the price down to $99 by 2014-2015.

In another thread:

A part of me wants a $199-299 Andriod based PS3 packing a 16 core cortex a15 cpu, 4gbs of fast ram, and 6th generation 16 core PowerVR gpu. Oh and yeah XBMC support!

With a set up like that, Sony could drop the price down to $99 by 2014-2015.

You're so amazing.

Charging for Internet access keeps Xbox from countries in the EU that require FREE access to the publicly funded content like BBC. For this reason and the Browser being released on the XBOX for the first time at the end of this year, I expect a Free Internet access tier. This will open/allow BBC IPTV on the Xbox.

iPlayer on 360 launched in March, no payment needed.

In another thread:
You're so amazing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39745037&highlight=#post39745037
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39745008&highlight=#post39745008
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39744985&highlight=#post39744985
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39744962&highlight=#post39744962
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39744920&highlight=#post39744920

WTFFFF

Thanks, didn't know that. Still think there will be a Free Internet tier as hook, do you agree?

Well I think there should be, but that's not what you're asking.

There are services such as 4oD which are free through a browser but as far as I know still require Gold subscription, so it would be interesting to see what happens there, whether things will open up a bit more or the browser is badly limited.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
4-6x gets us what? current gen engines in 1080p. or in proper 720p with some AA and extra bits and bobs. Doesn't seem enough of a jump for a significantly different experience.

Quentyn

Did a little bit of digging for patents with the same inventors.

Found a bunch of Kinect stuff. The newest one was published 3 weeks ago. I do not know a lot about the Kinect or how it works. So this maybe covering Kinect 2 maybe not. Not sure.

More importanly, I also found the glasses. So yeah, that leaked document seems to be more legit every day.

us201201740385ekh3.jpg

glassesjqkxl.jpg

FrankT

I know you try too hard.

So where does his comment on x720 is more powerful when he was given ps4 target specs?

Yea anything from 2010 is pretty much antiquated at this point. Will be interesting to see the leaks going forward as the rumors seem to change everyday. Especially the rumors from devs. Personally with my new PC I feel like these consoles will be antiquated on day one as well heh. Power under the hood matters but either one is not going to come close to high end PC ( for very good prices mind you) available now.

Edit: In reallity a top end machine from 2010 would still likely keep up. So basically by fall next year 3 year old tech to compare them with.

Quentyn

Digital Foundry just posted an analysis of the scalable console patent.

What should be stressed is that everything we've heard about the current Project Durango points towards a more traditional console design, and that this patent application is over 18 months old. Many of these applications are often lodged simply for legal reasons and never actually turn into final products. However, the links with the existing leak are surely more than coincidental, and at the very least provides us with an intriguing glimpse into the thinking of the hardware engineers working on the Microsoft's next-gen console.

Same could be true for the glasses. But who knows.

4-6x gets us what? current gen engines in 1080p. or in proper 720p with some AA and extra bits and bobs. Doesn't seem enough of a jump for a significantly different experience.

First of all it's 6x - 8x and second we don't even know exactly how to interpret that. Run Call of Duty 2 on your PC today and see if you can actually get 480fps, I doubt that very much besides the fact that this test would be flawed, but either way shows that this 6x - 8x measurement is just thrown out there for the mainstream to ooh and ahh about and not really meant to be analysed.

USC-fan

Banned
Yes.. the 720 is more powerful overall, but the full hardware of the 720 isn't available for games. Also, do you expect them to change courses in 2011 or 2012? Hardware specifics aren't final but designs are. You can't keep changing the architecture if you expect developers to make software for it.

I dont believe that is true. 2x x360 held just for background is a ton of power. No way they will be able to say this part is low power part. For it to be low power it wouldnt even be x.5 the xbox 360 in performance. Just doesnt add up....

AS DF said today about this patent.

What should be stressed is that everything we've heard about the current Project Durango points towards a more traditional console design, and that this patent application is over 18 months old. Many of these applications are often lodged simply for legal reasons and never actually turn into final products. However, the links with the existing leak are surely more than coincidental, and at the very least provides us with an intriguing glimpse into the thinking of the hardware engineers working on the Microsoft's next-gen console.

Then we have the leak ps4 target specs and dev have stated the x720 will be above that. People saying you only have 4x-6x for games this could not be correct. Lherre even said, i dont know where people are getting small jump in performance, its going to be a big one.

StevieP

Banned
Then we have the leak ps4 target specs and dev have stated the x720 will be above that. People saying you only have 4x-6x for games this could not be correct. Lherre even said, i dont know where people are getting small jump in performance, its going to be a big one.

Why is it always simplified multipliers with you? Do you preclude the possibility that some aspects of the Durango (such as CPU and RAM) will be WAY above 10x current gen in the simplistic multiplier theory, and others will not be the massive jump you're expecting based on 1 developer? (btw, it's also lherre who said the GPU in the Durango is "around 1tf")

Do you also not realize that the PS4 may run into a similar conundrum where there are some aspects where they've spent their silicon budget on a real jump, and others that aren't quite as impressive? It's not always a simple equation or multiplier, and you can't just pick and choose.

Digital Foundry just posted an analysis of the scalable console patent.
Everyone READ the entire digital foundry article. It's easy to understand. Now add that OpenCL, OpenMP and Cuda allow for cross platform, distributed processing and forward compatibility. This is the idea behind the AMD sponsored Fusion HSA Foundation and allows handheld openCL code to be run on a Xbox720 or cloud server farm and served as video back to the handheld.

This is the 2011 distributed processing Sony patent, the original Cell vision but now platform/CPU agnostic. This is why there is WebCL proposed by W3C. The Vita GPU design, by design (2008) supports OpenCL and there is a 2008 library from IBM that supports OpenCL on the Cell processor. This has been in planning for years and is part of the forward thinking plans of everyone. AMD has been planning their building block HSA Fusion for 5 years but not talking about it (Started in 2008). OpenMax IL 1.2 was delayed from 2008 till late 2011.

We are just now being exposed to this because onQ123 and others have been digging into next generation game console technology. I had alot of the pieces but only in the last few weeks has it all tied together.

On the software side there are new standards and on the hardware side AMD's building blocks and HSA Fusion multi-cpu SOC. The out-of-order branch prediction of X86 processors leveraged to support a HSA jit engine + OpenCL.

Both the Xbox 720 and PS4 should be X86. Durango may be the Xbox361 and Oban the SOC or building block to make the SOC , Orbis is not the PS4, everyone has been jumping the gun and a refreshed Xbox360 and PS3 coming this 2012 season have been confused with next generation. The 1PPU4SPU Sony patent filed 9/2010 needs to be looked at again considering the Microsoft powerpoint was released 9/2010 and a Linkedin Sony employee profile has him starting work on next gen and Vita 9/2010 and the Microsoft-sony.com domain registration happened the same month the Digitimes PS4 rumor surfaced and that has to be the refreshed PS3 that just passed through the FCC.

Things are definitely getting interesting.

6x xBox 360 with that feature set would be an easy sell to the masses, at a reasonable price point, IMO. Not sure why people seem to be so sure it will fail. If it has software, and more importantly as we move forward, feature sets, it will likely be successful. If we know, what we think we know, the next xbox seems to have plenty of features to sale to the masses.

USC-fan

Banned
Why is it always simplified multipliers with you? Do you preclude the possibility that some aspects of the Durango (such as CPU and RAM) will be WAY above 10x current gen in the simplistic multiplier theory, and others will not be the massive jump you're expecting based on 1 developer? (btw, it's also lherre who said the GPU in the Durango is "around 1tf")

Do you also not realize that the PS4 may run into a similar conundrum where there are some aspects where they've spent their silicon budget on a real jump, and others that aren't quite as impressive? It's not always a simple equation or multiplier, and you can't just pick and choose.

Always,really? that is what was in this thread to say i created this is incorrect. Yes I do agree with you other statements. Link to his statement on durango around 1tf? Because we where trying to even find where this info on durango came from.

What else do we have to go by, Lherre is the only one that was said anything? We have the ps4 target specs and they are not 4x-6x the ps3, its 7.5x just on flops alone, ram is 8x[for 4GB].... Then for him to say the the xbox 720 is around 1TF and then to say its more of a beast than ps4. The ps4 would destroy it running games....

StevieP

Banned
Link to his statement on durango around 1tf? Because we where trying to even find where this info on durango came from.

BG is the source of that number. It may have been mentioned publicly in that spanish forum lherre frequents, if you care to look, as he often drops info there that he does not on GAF.

they are not 4x-6x the ps3, its 7.5x just on flops alone, ram is 8x[for 4GB].... Then for him to say the the xbox 720 is around 1TF and then to say its more of a beast than ps4. The ps4 would destroy it running games....

a) that's assuming higher density GDDR5 appears in time, and/or they want to raise the complexity of the motherboard from their targets, and that Sony's willing to spend the money to make it happen. Don't assume anything.

b) because it could still be "more of a beast" than PS4 due to other architectural advances (i.e. a lot of memory, a lot of silicon dedicated to CPU resources, etc).

This is why it's ludicrous to use extremely generalized statements and multipliers to quantify *anything*

USC-fan

Banned
It was mentioned privately to bg. It may have been mentioned publicly in that spanish forum he frequents, if you care to look.
BG has been saying 1TF +. I never seen him say around 1tf.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1653533&postcount=12993
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1653821&postcount=13073

"Originally Posted by Rangers
Where did the "1-1.5 teraflops" come from then? I've been repeating it, maybe it's false.
BG- To be honest I have no idea.
Looking back I only said it sounded weird and unbalanced."

OP: And we don't even know what an 8970 is, let alone its TDP. iirc recent news indicates AMD's new designs will be 28nm though.....
BG: But wait! It's possible that the 8970 exceeds 4 TFLOPs and that would fit in the 1+ TFLOPs I was told.
a) that's assuming higher density GDDR5 appears in time, and/or they want to raise the complexity of the motherboard from their targets, and that Sony's willing to spend the money to make it happen. Don't assume anything.

b) because it could still be "more of a beast" than PS4 due to other architectural advances (i.e. a lot of memory, a lot of silicon dedicated to CPU resources, etc).

This is why it's ludicrous to use extremely generalized statements and multipliers to quantify *anything*
A they are using stack memory so that really doesnt matter.

Again a 1tf card vs 1.8 tf card would destroy it. Then Lherre comments the the ps4 is a balance system like the vita.

StevieP

Banned
BG has been saying 1TF +. I never seen him say around 1tf.

OP: And we don't even know what an 8970 is, let alone its TDP. iirc recent news indicates AMD's new designs will be 28nm though.....
BG: But wait! It's possible that the 8970 exceeds 4 TFLOPs and that would fit in the 1+ TFLOPs I was told.

What you forgot was the little laughing face after his statement to show that he was being facetious .

"~1TF" = "around 1TF" or "approximately" if you prefer the exact common English definition (could be a bit more, could be a bit less in other words). And "he was told" indicates that I am correct in that he was told, via private message, the approximate target of the GPU was ~1TF in the context of target specs.

USC-fan

Banned
What you forgot was the little laughing face after his statement to show that he was being facetious .

"~1TF" = "around 1TF" or "approximately" if you prefer the exact common English definition (could be a bit more, could be a bit less in other words). And "he was told" indicates that I am correct in that he was told, via private message, the approximate target of the GPU was ~1TF in the context of target specs.

The laughing face was about the 4tf card the op was talking about.

Where did BG say its around 1 TF. I havent seen that posted anywhere. I sure bg will be in here to correct this.

Unless you took this 1+ to mean around a tflop which would be pushing it to say the least...

Shut up, you don't actually understand technology or have insider info.

Cuth

I thought people were giving a good amount of credit to what ShockingAlberto said a few months ago (end of March):

I have heard they are going batshit crazy.

They asked publishers and developers what they need in a next-gen system

EA, Activision, DICE, and Epic all insisted on raising the ceiling by what we would traditionally consider a generational leap.

Microsoft listened because they were told this would increase game sales and hardware adoption.

If Microsoft upped their specs a few months ago, how can they be the same as stated in the way older leaked document?

I thought people were giving a good amount of credit to what ShockingAlberto said a few months ago (end of March):

If Microsoft upped their specs a few months ago, how can they be the same as stated in the way older leaked document?

they can't, and for that reason if ShockingAlberto was not trolling, then these patents are simply that, patents.

They should not be taken as confirmation of what the next box will be.

StevieP

Banned

They listened to Crytek/Dice/etc is what they did. That's the big change from the leaked 2010 stuff that I know of, and could possibly be what was heard by Alberto on the grapevine.

StevieP

Banned
When you hear that a Console is going to have 8GB of ram your 1st thought is this is going to be a beast.

Though obviously when you take into account the type of ram you'd need to use to achieve that number, it's a bit less impressive.

That said, when you receive a dev kit that has 12GB of this memory, anyone's reaction would be ":eek:"

With all the rumors going around with PS4 and Xbox 720, I feel Nintendo could have a huge hit on their hands with Wii U since its probably going to be the only true gaming console being released next gen. Anyone else getting that vibe?

StevieP

Banned
With all the rumors going around with PS4 and Xbox 720, I feel Nintendo could have a huge hit on their hands with Wii U since its probably going to be the only true gaming console being released next gen. Anyone else getting that vibe?

While its true that Nintendo themselves only really care about using their development teams for gaming while the other 2 have devoted some of their focus (and have vested interested) toward media, it's not like you're going to be losing the ability to play the many games that will be released over the course of the generation. There are plenty of studios that are well into producing games for this box.

Even with a box that's centered on becoming an "all in one", there will be lots of games. After all, if you look at Microsoft's reasoning for getting into the console business - it actually seems as if they're finally realizing their goal with this one.

I know what you're saying. Nintendo's still primarily a game company while the other 2 definitely have their fingers in more pies. But that doesn't change the fact that you're going to be able to go to the store, buy a BD disc with Call of Duty 13, and stick it in the MS or Sony box and play (or buy it in the digital store, or cloud stream it, or what have you).

Top Bottom