• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

I think it was stated in the pre Gamescon thread that Puppeteer was indeed shelved, being almost finished and then they went back to it?
It was? That doesn't sound right, on 8-4 play when they talked about the game they mentioned a friend working on it who was happy he could finally show what he'd been doing the past 5 years.

Dusky

yup, it is one of those IPs that can have 100 sequels. I just wish Cole design was more like in the first game.

Hopefully they move on to a new IP. If they do make an inFamous 3 I hope it has nothing to do with the previous cast of characters, pretty much all of them were terrible besides Cole if you ask me.

It was? That doesn't sound right, on 8-4 play when they talked about the game they mentioned a friend working on it who was happy he could finally show what he'd been doing the past 5 years.

5 years? Damn.

Mario007

Yeah, from what I remember it was said that the game was pretty much working well when various people from the project were then transferred to other projects and now they were finally coming back to finish the game.

JoshHood

Yeah, from what I remember it was said that the game was pretty much working well when various people from the project were then transferred to other projects and now they were finally coming back to finish the game.

Guess they figured TLG wasn't gonna get done, so shoved that to next-gen, and finished up this for PS3 instead.

I was just looking at the listings by Superbot, and this came up at the bottom.
"EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
UI, Lighting, Post-Production experience.
Maya scripting.
Background in Modeling, Traditional art.
Broad understanding of industry standard software.
Next-gen shader technical expertise"

Next gen, along with the hint at All Stars at the top surely means All Stars 2?

Dusky

I was just looking at the listings by Superbot, and this came up at the bottom.
"EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
UI, Lighting, Post-Production experience.
Maya scripting.
Background in Modeling, Traditional art.
Broad understanding of industry standard software.
Next-gen shader technical expertise"

Next gen, along with the hint at All Stars at the top surely means All Stars 2?

Hopefully they learnt from their mistakes and come up with something that actually looks good and fun to play.

Mario007

Do we know how long any of them have been working on PS4 projects?
Including pre-production I'd say looking at the time when they released their last game is pretty accurate. However, it'd be tough to say when they actually got the early specs and started building on those.

Dusky

6 years?
The Last Guardian

In all seriousness I suppose Guerilla's new IP or Stig's IP could have been in development the longest based on when Guerilla's 2nd studio was opened and GoW3's release

I think Infamous is done, or at least I hope. Love the gameplay mechanics, but the characters in the game are sort of meh...I think they wanted to reboot the game a bit with infamous 2 but fans went nuts. Might as well just do a new IP.

Anyone think insomniac is still working with Sony and may have a secret game ready near launch? They usually have multiple teams, and I'm not sure if fuse has occupied all their time...or do you think Sony is completely done with them?

Mario007

I think Infamous is done, or at least I hope. Love the gameplay mechanics, but the characters in the game are sort of meh...I think they wanted to reboot the game a bit with infamous 2 but fans went nuts. Might as well just do a new IP.

Anyone think insomniac is still working with Sony and may have a secret game ready near launch? They usually have multiple teams, and I'm not sure if fuse has occupied all their time...or do you think Sony is completely done with them?
I hope for Sony's sake they are done with them. Insomniac completely destroyed any chances of Resistance becoming big with R2, even though they did do a great job on R3. They pretty much treated Ratchet as their test project for new people and teams for a while now too. There is nothing noteworthy they can offer to Sony (as shown by the generic Fuse they are working on right now).

I hope for Sony's sake they are done with them. Insomniac completely destroyed any chances of Resistance becoming big with R2, even though they did do a great job on R3. They pretty much treated Ratchet as their test project for new people and teams for a while now too. There is nothing noteworthy they can offer to Sony (as shown by the generic Fuse they are working on right now).

Insomniac really has been all over the place this gen.

They've had a few good games like resistance, crack in time, and resistance 3, but the rest of their projects have been abysmal.

I think they're a talented studio that's forced to make games too quickly and have unfocused vision at the top.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's a little tricker to gauge, but Evo appears to have been doing next gen 'stuff' since Apocalypse. RC didn't use everybody at that studio.

Interesting. Well, I'm just trying to put some things into perspective.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Guerilla Games: According to their SIGGRAPH 11 "Technical Killzone 3 analysis" they stopped production on KZ3 in November 2010, which meant only a small crew was working on KZ3 in the 4 months after production stopped and the game launched.

Hermann Hulst at GDC Europe 2010 said that GG were working on a new IP.

Maybe it's a PS3 title because all that headcount that stopped working on their last game in November 2010 must have been going somewhere.

THE:MILKMAN

At a guess, I think that half of SSM's studio have been working longest on a PS4 game. Followed closely by GG.

The other half of team ND's next game I think will come out around late 2014/mid 2015. Those guys and girls are like clockwork.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So theoretically, some teams could have already been working on next-gen projects for two years already?

yurinka

ps4 launch 4/4/2014 confirmed?
Yes please, with Killzone 4, Uncharted 4, Motorstorm 4 and God of War 4 as launch games. xD

Kaz says : it's time to get 4 jobs, $4444!

Guerilla Games: According to their SIGGRAPH 11 "Technical Killzone 3 analysis" they stopped production on KZ3 in November 2010, which meant only a small crew was working on KZ3 in the 4 months after production stopped and the game launched.

Hermann Hulst at GDC Europe 2010 said that GG were working on a new IP.

Maybe it's a PS3 title because all that headcount that stopped working on their last game in November 2010 must have been going somewhere.
My bets:
Some of them helping in Killzone Mercenary and researching on Vita, some of them in their next IP preproduction, some of them in Killzone 4 preproduction and some of them researching on PS4.

So theoretically, some teams could have already been working on next-gen projects for two years already?

By fall 2013, these are the teams that will have 2+ years of dev time (some 3 years)

- Guerilla Games
- Evolution Studios
- Sucker Punch
- Ready At Dawn
- Insomniac (if still working with Sony and have separate teams for Fuse)
- Naughty Dog
- Polyphony Digital
- Sony Santa Monica team no.2
- Media Molecule

yurinka

By fall 2013, these are the teams that will have 2+ years of dev time (some 3 years)

- Guerilla Games
- Evolution Studios
- Sucker Punch
- Ready At Dawn
- Naughty Dog
- Polyphony Digital
- Media Molecule
Aren't Ready At Dawn supposed to go multi?
And is it possible a 2nd team from QD?

Dusky

Even with their great first party support I still think Sony should sign a big third party exclusive, one that will turn heads.

yurinka

I believe it was recently confirmed through their announcements that they're still working exclusively with Sony in a second party arrangement (similar to Insomniac, or Sucker Punch before they were purchased)
Great news for Sony then. Let's hope they buy them and hire to allow and additional Vita team!

No. R3 was amazing, and i want my R&C games.

They've had a few good games like resistance, crack in time, and resistance 3, but the rest of their projects have been abysmal.

I think they're a talented studio that's forced to make games too quickly and have unfocused vision at the top.

Tools of destruction, Q4B, and All for one are great. Most of their games this gen are amazing. They helped Sony a lot when there was a drought in PS3 games.

Mario007

To be honest I'd say Sony would have said yes to anything they pitched after Resistance, since that was a big success. Same with A Crack in Time. So I would blame the fall of in sales and quality of the titles entirely at Insonmiac and as you've said lack of focused vision at the top. Insonmiac expanded greatly this gen as a studio but it seems game quality took a hit.

At a guess, I think that half of SSM's studio have been working longest on a PS4 game. Followed closely by GG.

The other half of team ND's next game I think will come out around late 2014/mid 2015. Those guys and girls are like clockwork.
Don't forget PD. I mean sure they did fine tune the game with Spec 2 but other than that they've been confirmed to be working on GT6 (even doing some new mapping work for the tracks) and it seems like that would release on PS4 rather than 3.

Sid

- Guerilla Games
- Evolution Studios
- Sucker Punch
- Ready At Dawn
- Naughty Dog
- Polyphony Digital
- Media Molecule
Yup SSM would have 3.5 years by fall 2013.

THE:MILKMAN

Don't forget PD. I mean sure they did fine tune the game with Spec 2 but other than that they've been confirmed to be working on GT6 (even doing some new mapping work for the tracks) and it seems like that would release on PS4 rather than 3.

I think we'll see Kaz at E3 like with the PS3. Can't wait.

Even with their great first party support I still think Sony should sign a big third party exclusive, one that will turn heads.

Indeed.

Working with Epic or Crytek would have a lot of advantages other then just having a great game every 2 years.
They would also have a hand in improving important middleware on the system. It really worked out well for MS this generation.

But their is a heck of a lot less large indie studios now then there was in 05/06 though. Epic, Crytek, Gearbox, Valve and Bungie are the only runs jumping out right now and Epic and Crytek are already in MS's pocket for the foreseeable future and Valve have nothing to gain by going ps4 exclusive unless they REALLY want to stick it to MS and XBL.

You know what I REALLY want SCE to do next gen?

Design a logo. The white text on black screen "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" just lacks any identity. I know there is the Yellow and Orange square thing they could use as well but maybe something newer and more modern would look nice.

Globox_82

Banned

yup, fear I have about ND becoming like that - unfocused. and Insomniac tech is not impressive IMO

I also belive FUSe is going to be mega flop, not sure what effect that is going to have on Insomniac. EA was wrong decission for them imo

Vol5

Design a logo. The white text on black screen "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" just lacks any identity. I know there is the Yellow and Orange square thing they could use as well but maybe something newer and more modern would look nice.

True. They need to capture the magic back when you first saw the PS Logo on PSOne.

Dusky

yup, fear I have about ND becoming like that - unfocused. and Insomniac tech is not impressive IMO

I also belive FUSe is going to be mega flop, not sure what effect that is going to have on Insomniac. EA was wrong decission for them imo

I doubt ND will go down that route with the amount of resources they have compared to Insomniac.

Indeed.

Working with Epic or Crytek would have a lot of advantages other then just having a great game every 2 years.
They would also have a hand in improving important middleware on the system. It really worked out well for MS this generation.

But their is a heck of a lot less large indie studios now then there was in 05/06 though. Epic, Crytek, Gearbox, Valve and Bungie are the only runs jumping out right now and Epic and Crytek are already in MS's pocket for the foreseeable future and Valve have nothing to gain by going ps4 exclusive unless they REALLY want to stick it to MS and XBL.

Indeed. There aren't that many options left for Sony. They seem to have a good relationship with EA and Ubisoft but not to the same extent MS have with Epic or Crytek.

Totally agree with you on the logo, as slick as the white on black looks they really need something that stands out.

They might be letting each of the developers compete with one another to see who to let go and who to keep. They have signaled they will make less 1st party games, but with higher production value to match the Microsoft model.

yurinka

That's a little tricker to gauge, but Evo appears to have been doing next gen 'stuff' since Apocalypse. RC didn't use everybody at that studio.
Exactly 3 years ago, it was announced the merging of Evolution and Liverpool (seems that Liverpool even helped on Motorstorm):
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sonys-michael-denny-part-two
http://community.us.playstation.com...-Liverpool-and-Evolution-Studios/td-p/4037761
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sonys-michael-denny-part-two

Once Liverpool was closed it was rumored a couple of things:
-When closed Liverpool was working on two PS4 launch games: a 'dramatically different' Wipeout that had been in development during 12/18 months and a Splinter Cell-style game : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ut-ps4-and-a-splinter-cell-style-game-for-ps4
-Part of its staff was realocated to other Studios (Evolutions would make sense because of the stated above and because their office was really close geologically) : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-sony-closes-wipeout-developer-sony-liverpool-report

It would be really strange to don't finish the development of this PS4 launch game in other studio, but seems that isn't Evolution even if it would make sense due to this : http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wipeout-to-be-resurrected-by-sony-s-evolution-studio/0103011

They might be letting each of the developers compete with one another to see who to let go and who to keep. They have signaled they will make less 1st party games, but with higher production value to match the Microsoft model.

The "Microsoft model?"

No. Sony was the one who already lead with high production values.

And while Sony is certainly going to consolidate resources and bolster AAA efforts, they're not going to somehow have the devs duke it out and let some of them go.

yurinka

During this gen Sony increased the size of most of their AAA studios to create a 2nd (or third) team inside them, merged some studios, purchased others, signed new deals with big 3rd party studios and helped small 3rd party ones with initiatives like Minis, PSM. They also directly funded small indie projects and continued releasing casual stuff with Singstar and AR/Move games.

Considering that they also created a number of Sony owned succesful new IPs during this gen, I'd say that you're wrong and that Sony will continue with their current internal development policy. I'd say they don't have nothing to envy from MS dev focus.

Top Bottom