• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

Derrick01

Banned
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified? Silent Hill: Book of Memories? Fifa 13?

Yes, with Persona 4 Golden and LittleBigPlanet PS Vita it got actually some nice efforts, but the line-up was pretty much better on every console.

This year? Hell no. Vita had the best lineup this year and I say that as someone who still hasn't gotten any further than the intros of at least 5 games with several left unplayed this year. This year was abysmal on 360/ps3.

That is not how it works. Also, L2Budget.

Even nintendo is having an hard time with the 3ds in the west.

Times have changed.

btw.

I think vita is the best designed handheld ever.
I think its better than 3ds in every way incl software.

But there is a raw reality here, that likely isnt going to change.

the only thing i can see that can do that, is some sort of masshysteria game like pokemon or if they can integrate it somehow into their xperia line.

The only segment left in the dedicated handheld field is young children segment.

Yasir

This year? Hell no. Vita had the best lineup this year and I say that as someone who still hasn't gotten any further than the intros of at least 5 games with several left unplayed this year. This year was abysmal on 360/ps3.

This kinda. I have a Vita backlog lol. And moved from console to PC gaming; neither console had a good year.

Oersted

Requoting: Any educated guesses what is more likely: Huge PS4 or Vita support by Sony. Or crossplay?

Personal opinions are nice, thats for sure. And again almost every game, has already a better entry on the big consoles. The reason for buying a Vita is abysmal right now.

Moving goalposts are nicer.

Are we getting childish now? I said every of these points before you even replied for the first time.

rCIZZLE

Personal opinions are nice, thats for sure. And again almost every game, has already a better entry on the big consoles. The reason for buying a Vita is abysmal right now.

Well, if you want a handheld with quality games Vita is the better choice. It's a personal opinion shared by plenty of critics.

NBtoaster

300px-PSPGo_-_Piano_Black.png

?

A failed attempt to revitalise a console does not doom future attempts on a different console.

Oersted

Well, if you want a handheld with quality games Vita is the better choice. It's a personal opinion shared by plenty of critics.

People here are rather busy defending Vita than discussing about what will likely happen, Vita/PS3/PS4/crossplay support by Sony. Sad, that was the initial point to come into this thread.

But lets give it a try again before it derails completly:

Any educated guesses what is more likely: Huge PS4 or Vita support by Sony. Or crossplay?

yurinka

Vita had a pretty terrific first year when it comes to number of quality games. Owners certainly don't want them to ditch it.
Metacritic said:
PlayStation Vita / PSP

Three out of 2012's four highest-scoring handheld games (not including iOS) were found on the PlayStation Vita, and the first-year platform also edged out both Nintendo handhelds in average Metascore for 2012 releases. The Vita also managed one 90+ release: Persona 4 Golden, a port of the PS2 game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

The number of scored 2012 releases for Nintendo's 3DS and Sony's Vita were virtually identical (77 vs. 76), but nearly 45% of the Vita's games received positive reviews compared to just 31% of the 3DS titles. Nintendo, of course, still has the edge where it counts: in hardware and software sales.

3DS 2012 Avg. Metascore 66.2
DS 2012 Avg. Metascore 67.6
Wii 2012 Avg. Metascore 67.9
Wii U 2012 Avg. Metascore 68.6
360 2012 Avg. Metascore 69.5
Vita 2012 Avg. Metascore 69.7
PS3 2012 Avg. Metascore 70.3
PC 2012 Avg. Metascore 70.3
PSP 2012 Avg. Metascore 71.2 *
* = Includes Minis, also compatible with PS3 and Vita

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2012?page=1
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2012?page=2
Vita haz no gamez confirmation

And is it possible a 2nd team from QD?
Yes, Quantic Dream is working on a next gen title right now. It's unclear if it is only pre-production or already in full development (probably the former). I bet they will pull a ND and announce their next game on the VGAs or E3.

Some proof can be found on LinkedIn :

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/benoitgodde
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/simonwasselin

How big are QD now?
180-200 employees.

Paul Rustchynsky ‏@Rushy33
@_nofi And I'm looking forward to talking about it at some point this year :D

Twitter. The evolution studios guy said this.
This is near certainly next gen.
@Dragonbane, link to the profile?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
That´s not true, at all. SCEE cared about the PSP and is caring about the Vita.

SCEE is making a Killzone spinoff and Tearaway for the Vita (are they making anything else? Can't remember right now). However neat I think Tearaway looks, I don't really think SCEE cares all that much. But they're at least doing a far better job than SCEA.

SCEE is making a Killzone spinoff and Tearaway for the Vita (are they making anything else? Can't remember right now). However neat I think Tearaway looks, I don't really think SCEE cares all that much. But they're at least doing a far better job than SCEA.

SCEE started up with minis, and there was a constant adverts for the Vita here in Denmark, which means that there was a huge marketing campaign for all of Europe. You forgot about Invisimals plus great showing at Gamescom. SCEE studios already released 3 games for the Vita. Motorstorm RC, WipEout, and Bigbig studio game. The matter of the fact that MM and GG are developing a Vita game is a huge deal, as opposite to ND, SMS, SP. I honestly think that SCEE is doing a solid effort in supporting the Vita, or at least they are trying to.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SCEE started up with minis, and there was a constant adverts for the Vita here in Denmark, which means that there was a huge marketing campaign for all of Europe. You forgot about Invisimals plus great showing at Gamescom. SCEE studios already released 3 games for the Vita. Motorstorm RC, WipEout, and Bigbig studio game. The matter of the fact that MM and GG are developing a Vita game is a huge deal, as opposite to ND, SMS, SP. I honestly think that SCEE is doing a solid effort in supporting the Vita, or at least they are trying to.

I was talking specifically about what they are currently working on, but looking at what SCEE has done historically, they've done a commendable job supporting both the PSP and the Vita (for the latter they seem to be far more supportive than SCEA, even though I still think SCEE doesn't care as much as SCEJ).

@Dragonbane, link to the profile?
There you go :)

And I just found this while logged in:

So there is definitely a second title in (pre) production at least for 11 months now. Since they have a 3 game deal with Sony, it's going to be a PS4 exclusive almost for sure. They started full-time production on Beyond around November 2010 and announced the game in June 2012.

So if we are lucky we might get a first trailer or tech demo around the VGAs this year.

There you go :)

And I just found this while logged in:

So there is definitely a second title in (pre) production at least for 11 months now. Since they have a 3 game deal with Sony, it's going to be a PS4 exclusive almost for sure. They started full-time production on Beyond around November 2010 and announced the game in June 2012.

So if we are lucky we might get a first trailer or tech demo around the VGAs this year.

Thanks.
Awesome to here about a new project; after the exclusivity I would think Sony will buy them.

Are we ever going to see a new AAA game by Jaffe?

God of War is still so damn popular, it's one of those games that as such easy commercial recognition, at least for Sony. Easily second most popular by my estimations.

If he is working on something to succeed Twisted Metal and God of War, I'd love to see it at E3/PS4 launch time. I'd also simply like to know what it is.

I'd also like to see God of War totally branch off into a new mythology. A new IP with roots in God of War's presentation/gameplay. Could you imagine if they did something in Hindu myth? Hinduism is so kick ass, it'd be so damn different

newjeruse

Are we ever going to see a new AAA game by Jaffe?

God of War is still so damn popular, it's one of those games that as such easy commercial recognition, at least for Sony. Easily second most popular by my estimations.

If he is working on something to succeed Twisted Metal and God of War, I'd love to see it at E3/PS4 launch time. I'd also simply like to know what it is.
It is an iOS game.

Endo Punk

The reason ND Team 2, SSM Team 2, Guerrilla and Sucker Punch haven't shown anything is because they're working on The Last Guardian.

Globox_82

Banned
I dunno if this is something. He is the only one over at Sanzaru profiles that I checked and had this "clue". might be something old:

Senior Game Designer
Sanzaru Games

October 2009 – November 2012 (3 years 2 months)

Sly Cooper 4 (PS3): level design, systems design, scripting, design documentation, lunch coordination.

Unannounced (PS3): level layout and scripting on something super secret. Shh!

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&trk=pbmap

Saw this on twitter

And we might be seeing more info on Killzone mercenary and Tearaway soon.

I want more information on this damnit! That 1 minute trailer made me more excited for Rain than even TLoU, Bioshock Infinite, Beyond... practically everything this year! 2013's Journey incoming.

Takao

Banned
Playstation CAMP (Tokyo Jungle, Patchwork Heroes, and Box! Open Me).

The games you listed were developed by three separate studios; Crispy's, Acquire, and SCE Japan Studio. PlayStation C.A.M.P. is SCE assisting Japanese indies from pitch to launch. Sometimes they develop the games internally, and other times they'll partner up with a company Sony has previously worked with and trusts their abilities. I'm not sure if Rain is a C.A.M.P. title.

lepo

Even nintendo is having an hard time with the 3ds in the west.

The only segment left in the dedicated handheld field is young children segment.

I've just came back from a long trip in Japan and I've seen so many children's going around with a 3ds. Even my japanese nephew asked for one this christmas since he was the only one btw his friends without one. 3ds is pretty cheap there, 18800Yen for a LL it's a pretty good deal if you live in japan I think, while Vita was around 24000 if I remember correctly.

I've seen only a few Vita around and it was always people on their 30s. This is obviously not selling to kids and like you said the only segment left in the dedicated handheld field is young children segment

Drencrom

It really seems like Sony is going all-in with Orbis. Almost every first party studio is working on a nextgen title.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Any solid reason as to why SONY dropped the Champions of Norrath franchise? A Champions of Norrath HD Collection and a new game would have been wonderful on the PS3 / PS Vita.

It really seems like Sony is going all-in with Orbis. Almost every first party studio is working on a nextgen title.

The launch could potentially be one of the best in console history. Sony own so many first party studios now, all of which are very reliable when it comes to delivering top quality software. Imagine a scenario where we get a game from Evolution, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch and Sony Santa Monica all on launch day. Then Uncharted 4 and GT6 within the first year. Crazy.

Not to mention stuff by Ready at Dawn and Quantic Dream (Team 2) which I assume is PS4.

if they really want to keep the vita afloat (who knows), those studios that have 2,3 teams should have a team dedicated to ps4 development and another to vita. it seems to me the vita is going nowhere though, so i'm perfectly happy with sony actually starting to have double the studios to focus on ps4. man, they're gonna have so many 1st party games on ps4 it's gonna be nuts.
internal psp and ps2 development stopped in 2011, so a few studios will still have a few downports for ps3 to keep that thing selling for a little while, but starting two teams in the vast majority of their studios, each focusing on their platform is a nice idea.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
if they really want to keep the vita afloat (who knows), those studios that have 2,3 teams should have a team dedicated to ps4 development and another to vita. it seems to me the vita is going nowhere though, so i'm perfectly happy with sony actually starting to have double the studios to focus on ps4. man, they're gonna have so many 1st party games on ps4 it's gonna be nuts.
internal psp and ps2 development stopped in 2011, so a few studios will still have a few downports for ps3 to keep that thing selling for a little while, but starting two teams in the vast majority of their studios, each focusing on their platform is a nice idea.

The Vita is a great system that is not even a year old. However, there is also business logic in producing high production expensive games. No matter what, it is not like SONY can release 15-20 mega games in the first year and not go bankrupt from the high costs and low initial revenue.

cyborg009

Banned
The launch could potentially be one of the best in console history. Sony own so many first party studios now, all of which are very reliable when it comes to delivering top quality software. Imagine a scenario where we get a game from Evolution, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch and Sony Santa Monica all on launch day. Then Uncharted 4 and GT6 within the first year. Crazy.

Not to mention stuff by Ready at Dawn and Quantic Dream (Team 2) which I assume is PS4.

Won't be a smart move to launch big budget games so close to each other. Usually console launches try have at least one or two must own games.

Also SCEA might actually market one of these games.

The Vita is a great system that is not even a year old. However, there is also business logic in producing high production expensive games. No matter what, it is not like SONY can release 15-20 mega games in the first year and not go bankrupt from the high costs and low initial revenue.

sure, i wasn't saying they should release as many games as they can in a year, but with most of their studios getting 2,3 teams they should have no problem releasing 2, 3 games a year perhaps?

Globox_82

Banned

Yes it could be great but those games will have a problem selling due to small install base. Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc deserved a sequel. It's really scary. Or maybe most of those first games are going to be PS3/PS4. That would make sense. Better version on PS4 but cheaper version for 70 million + owners on PS3.

Crawl

Slightly off topic, would someone mind making a thread like this for all current dev teams? Like rumors/speculation of what all game studios are working on? It would be interesting to see what has leaked / speculation come up with for each developer. I'd make on myself but i cant make threads yet.

Top Bottom