• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Standalone Switch dock announced for Europe, 23/6

USB C power cables usually cost a premium, Nintendo aren't doing anything that others aren't doing.
£3.99 for a USB C cable is a premium? Their proprietary 3DS chargers cost less than £10, you cannot tell me that £25-30 for an industry standard connection is fair pricing.

tsab

I have a few chargers with usb-c and a handfull hdmis. I just want an extra dock or tv out cable.

I am guessing this will priced in my country 100e. Since all the peripherals are 5-10e pricier here. :(

jts

...hate me...
Will be 90€ with the 39W USB-C charger and HDMI cable, which is fair for what it offers compared to the standard market prices for equivalent items from reputed brands.

However I'd still like for it to allow 3rd parties (even if licensed) as I'd love for a more portable dock or even straight up hub.

Gozan

I hope someone makes a micro dock that I can bring along to connect to TVs when travelling, small enough to fit along with the Switch in a case.

J@hranimo

Banned
Just for reference here in the states, this dock bundle set is $90

Although...the Nintendo store website has had the dock by itself and the power adapter is sold at $30. You can use math to see how the HDMI cable and dock figures into this.

Yeah it's pricey but understandable when you break it down like this.

inherendo

There are actually quite a few third party usb c cables up to par with things such as the google pixel charger and other oem cables used for charging. All for like 5-8 bucks a pop depending on how fancy you want to get with braided cables. I don't really need another dock, but if I did, there's no way I'm paying 80 bucks for the ripoff in the us. Will wait for third parties to figure out how to do usb c to hdmi for the switch.

inherendo

But the charger alone is 30 bucks, I doubt they'll give a 1 dollar discount on that for this bundle.
Yeah, their charger. You can easily find a good enough charger over 2 amps for way less than the 30 that nintendo charges for theirs which goes up to 2.6A. I imagine if there is battery drainage while on a lower 2.x amp charger, it will pretty slow. Unless I have to, I'm avoiding all nintendo first party accessories as they definitely feel like they are gouging their customers with this 90 dollar bullshit.

That's what an HDMI cable costs, son.
Not sure if kidding, given some responses in this thread...

Zemm

Before people start complaining about any prices that will be announced, consider that this includes the charger and a USB-C cable, which alone already cost a bit.

My usb c cable cost like £4 and a charger shouldn't be much more than £10. This is definitely going to be way more experience than it should be judging by the other peripherals.

jts

...hate me...
There are actually quite a few third party usb c cables up to par with things such as the google pixel charger and other oem cables used for charging. All for like 5-8 bucks a pop depending on how fancy you want to get with braided cables. I don't really need another dock, but if I did, there's no way I'm paying 80 bucks for the ripoff in the us. Will wait for third parties to figure out how to do usb c to hdmi for the switch.
It's not just a USB-C cable though. It is a 39W USB-C charger.

The price is quite normal compared to that of phone and computer makers, and even cheap compared to some of them.

My usb c cable cost like £4 and a charger shouldn't be much more than £10. This is definitely going to be way more experience than it should be judging by the other peripherals.

Is you USB Type C cable rated 3.0 or 3.1 though? There's a lot of them with 2.0 innards, which make them near useless.

And a good, powerful charger is normally at least £20.

inherendo

Why would I be kidding?

Maybe I am misreading your post, I thought you were claiming that an hdmi cable is 29 bucks. If you meant one dollar, then ignore my comment. One can often get cables for the price of a stamp and envelope after rebate.

inherendo

Is you USB Type C cable rated 3.0 or 3.1 though? There's a lot of them with 2.0 innards, which make them near useless.

And a good, powerful charger is normally at least £20.
Plenty of resources list quality c 3.0 cables. There is a pretty popular one that has kinda become the main source, though he recently stopped updating it. ben leung or something.

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone expecting Nintendo to release a dockless Switch that discounts the package by the amount they're selling the dock on its own for, or even close to that amount, is in for a nasty surprise if they ever decide to release it.

Unless they go the full hog and make a smaller switch with fused joycons for a lot less, but then that would go against the entire ethos of the system so should we even expect that?

sphinx

the piano man
those like me who have two places they call home across continents (I spent my year between Germany and Mexico), this is such a no brainer.

in fact is a dream come true.

I carry my Switch tablet while in transit through airports, I arrive home, I have a home console, hasslefree, all while being able to play any game at any point in time

seriously, this is worth nintendo's price tags

Shiggy

those like me who have two places they call home across continents (I spent my year between Germany and Mexico), this is such a no brainer.

in fact is a dream come true.

I carry my Switch tablet while in transit through airports, I arrive home, I have a home console, hasslefree, all while being able to play any game at any point in time

seriously, this is worth nintendo's price tags

You're much better off buying a second Switch and then selling it without the dock.

Wamb0wneD

Go on and try that usb c cable and charger on your switch and tell us how well it worked.

Anyone expecting Nintendo to release a dockless Switch that discounts the package by the amount they're selling the dock on its own for, or even close to that amount, is in for a nasty surprise if they ever decide to release it.

Unless they go the full hog and make a smaller switch with fused joycons for a lot less, but then that would go against the entire ethos of the system so should we even expect that?

There's no need to do that until supply is up to speed with demand, but I could see a budget version knocking $50 dollars off. Tiny packaging, no dock, no controller grip, no straps even.
Edit: and probably Japan only to begin with

sphinx

the piano man
You're much better off buying a second Switch and then selling it without the dock.

that's 660 euro plus the hassle and risk of selling to people who can claim it was broken, banned, or didn't arrive, all together.

1 switch and 1 dock is definitively less and hassle free. not sure what's your reasoning there,

Where did you get one for that price? They are usually like a tenner

giapel

Not to justify anything(still think peripheral prices are ridiculous) but Apple charges £19 for an iPad charger and £19 for a 1m cable. So it's not just Nintendo

TannerDemoz

Are people so lazy they'd pay upwards of £60 for the convenience of being able to plug something in faster?

Am I ignorant for saying this or is this reasonable?

Theonik

Is it possible that this will lead to the eventual sale of just the Switch unit (sans dock)?
The US had this since launch iirc. NOA also sells docks only for cheaper direct.
This is for people that have more than one TV they want to connect the switch to.
I'd rather Nintendo did a dongle instead. I'd buy that instead. Dock is kinda bad.

e:
Are people so lazy they'd pay upwards of £60 for the convenience of being able to plug something in faster?

Am I ignorant for saying this or is this reasonable?
I mean currently to use the dock you would need to have an extra HDMI lead on your second setup and a second proprietary power brick.
Plugging things into AV setups can be a pain so it's not just about being lazy. I'm NOT fishing cables from the back of my TV to play the switch.

Top Bottom