• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Standalone Switch dock announced for Europe, 23/6

m.i.s.

Banned
Boss★Moogle;236332761 said:
there's zero hardware in there it's just a piece of plastic with some ports and an AC adpater. It probably costs them less than 10 dollars to make (I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually less than 5). Anything over $30 would make it a huge ripoff.

Well, we are talking about Nintendo here. The king of plastic tat. :eek:p

Zabka

Boss★Moogle;236332761 said:
there's zero hardware in there it's just a piece of plastic with some ports and an AC adpater. It probably costs them less than 10 dollars to make (I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually less than 5). Anything over $30 would make it a huge ripoff.

You think this is bad? The USB-C DeX dock for the Galaxy S8, which has one less USB port and adds an ethernet jack, costs $150.

TannerDemoz

I mean currently to use the dock you would need to have an extra HDMI lead on your second setup and a second proprietary power brick.
Plugging things into AV setups can be a pain so it's not just about being lazy. I'm NOT fishing cables from the back of my TV to play the switch.

Couldn't you just remove the first one and use it in the second room? Takes a couple of minutes. I get that some people's set-ups have TVs that are a lot harder to get behind and mess around with cables, but paying a wad of money to make things slightly more convenient seems pointless – IMO.

MilkyJoe

£20 tops, piece of plastic and a couple of through and through ports. How much can it possibly cost to manufacture?

Theonik

Couldn't you just remove the first one and use it in the second room? Takes a couple of minutes. I get that some people's set-ups have TVs that are a lot harder to get behind and mess around with cables, but paying a wad of money to make things slightly more convenient seems pointless – IMO.
For many people you are talking 10-20 minutes to do that especially when it involves fishing out the power brick from behind the TV. The end result can also be unpleasant in the first place. (no cable management)

Since the appeal of the switch is to be able to quickly transition from portable to TV having to mess with cables is a no-no. For other systems what I tend to do is at least leave power cables and HDMI leads in accessible locations for that. Which is why internal power supplies like on the PS3 were absolutely essential. Though I often might end up biting the bullet and buy multiple systems. (to allow family to be able to use the one on the living room)

MilkyJoe

That's not how capitalism works.

Thanks for your awesome post, but I know how capitalism works. If they go too high then how is it going to be representative of value for money? Especially as the product is already in the hands of every customer.. People already know the product intimately and it's economic value has to be assessed as such. They will probably try it on at £100 and then not sell any, though. It's Nintendo.

gafneo

Banned
Would this let you dock your Switch into different TVs on the fly?

Like unplug it from the living room tele, plug it in upstairs and have it immediately appear?
Yeah, it doesn't matter what doc you use. The Switch doesn't assign itself to one. It's just a cheap lump of plastic.

Ah, that's pretty cool. Need to get one of these when I get a Switch then.
Yep. Add it to the ever growing cost of a new switch for me. I am not complaining but this sucker is going to be expensive when I get around to buying one.

Good news is there are so many great games on other platforms that I don't feel the need to buy one right now. Maybe summer.

What you are stating is ridiculous drives the world economy buddy. Don't be a communist.

Honestly, I find the US price for the dock set quite reasonable. It isn't perfect, but it's just below the amount before I'd begrudgingly pay for it. At $80 you're getting the dock, 39W AC Adapter and HDMI cable, and the whole set is massively cheaper than the competition, where a standalone Surface Dock costs $199: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Surface-Dock/productID.325725200

I mean, accessories are always going to have some degree of profit margin attached to them, and while the cost of production for all the individual components isn't high, you've also got to factor in the shipping costs and weight of the set, and the fact that it's far cheaper than competing docking solutions and also far more generous - you get everything you need here, and it's all included with the Switch anyway.

I'd also expect there to be an opportunity cost associated with selling these, make them too cheap and you end up manufacturing more docks/AC Adapters/Nintendo-branded HDMI Cables, all of which could have gone with the Switches themselves.

Still, it's good that people continue to question the prices of peripherals rather than accept them, if you compare the Switch, a hybrid device, to Microsoft's Surface, a hybrid device, it's a day-and-night difference:

Switch: Tablet, controller input and TV/Monitor dock included
Surface: Tablet included, controller (Type cover) sold separately for $110, TV/Monitor dock sold separately for $199.

Only one of the two devices actually performs all its potential hybrid functionality out of the box.

£3.99 for a USB C cable is a premium? Their proprietary 3DS chargers cost less than £10, you cannot tell me that £25-30 for an industry standard connection is fair pricing.

It's not a USB-C cable, it's a 39W power adapter, and its priced cheaper than competing USB-C power adapters that deliver similar ranges of power (Apple's 29W USB-C power adapter is twice the price, at £50, Dell's 45W adapter is $60 (so £50)).

I thought it would be £100, that's what game had it listed as. Whatever the price, thankfully it's not something I'll ever need to buy.

Zemm

Is you USB Type C cable rated 3.0 or 3.1 though? There's a lot of them with 2.0 innards, which make them near useless.

And a good, powerful charger is normally at least £20.

The usb c cable and the charger package i bought from Amazon cost around £15 total and charges the switch whilst i play it. I can also charge my phone with the same charger plug at the same time.

Go on and try that usb c cable and charger on your switch and tell us how well it worked.

I use it every day to charge the switch or pro controller and it's flawless.

For reference, it's basically something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4BO0X8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
81a8n-o7lol._sl1500_dxjz0.jpg

This is 60 bucks and it does not include a charger and an additional USB C cable.

Kovacs

£80

USB-C hubs still ain't cheap and that's without the USB-C to HDMI cable. We know Nintendo already charge £25 for a Switch power adapter and given the price they charge for the bit of plastic they call the New 3DS Charging Cradle you must be kidding if they are going lower than £25 for the dock even without electronics.

So, £25 charger, £25 dock and £30+ on the dock electronics etc and you have my estimate.

Bluth54

Mind to expand?

Nintendo's not buying the equipment for the dock at retail prices, they're building millions of docks so they're probably getting some very good prices and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the retail prices on USB C stuff is a little higher than it needs to be since it's a new standard and there's not as much competition as from similar products using older USB standards.

I'm not saying the dock is as cheap as people think but Nintendo is probably making a nice little profit off of selling the dock set for $90.

Nintendo are charging 90 Euro for this and it doesn't have an ethernet port although they could have easily fit one in there. And ethernet is pretty mandatory thanks to the bad Wifi of the Switch. That's another 30 Euro on top. So 120 Euro for a second set. No thank you.

Theonik

Mind to expand?
The pricing of dongles is not really related to their manufacturing costs. Companies aren't going to sell them cheaper than what they cost to make, but at the same time they will charge what they think market will bear. In the first place there is little competition in that space at the moment and one of the reasons these are so expensive is that they are sold as accessories to Apple laptops primarily with Apple's own dongle selling for $69. Companies selling alternatives see this and price accordingly. Now, if Apple had decided to price theirs for $50 you'd see 3rd party ones sell for cheaper than that. And so on.

Nintendo is also not exactly going around buying dongles at retail and sticking them in boxes...

CJY

Banned
Doesn't the Switch needs a beefy USB-C charger? They're not that cheap. And is it safe to go off brand with USB C yet? Weren't generic cables damaging devices a while ago by not conforming to the spec?

I charge mine with the USB-c cable that came with my pro controller plugged into a 6port Sabrent USB Charger and it works a treat.

Metalmarc

Don't like the idea of tgis being high priced potentially

On the flipside well done nintendo for giving the option to buy it, unlike the WiiU where you could not buy a replacement gamepad.

I charge mine with the USB-c cable that came with my pro controller plugged into a 6port Sabrent USB Charger and it works a treat.

It's probably overstated as the one it comes with has to support charging, running at full speed, and having enough left to provide power via two usb2 ports simultaneously, an on the go charger doesn't have to do any of that.

Irminsul

The problem isn't so much charging but running the Switch in docked mode while charging. For that you need a USB-C power supply with Power Delivery support and at least 1.5A current at 15V.

They can't price it too high, otherwise they devalue the console itself.

Full bundle = £280
Joy cons = £80

So the console + dock = £200

I know this means nothing.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Like the dock will probably be expensive, but 30£ for a charger and cable is not particularly expensive if you look to any big branded chargers (samsung, apple etc). Obviously there are third party chargers that will be cheaper because thats what they do, but Nintendo is not overpricing its charger for the switch.

The dock will probably be too expensive to impulse buy but still worth it if you have multiple TVs and move the switch a lot at home, so around 60-90£

I'd like another dock for a different room in the house but I wouldn't pay more than £30 and since the USB charger alone is £25 I won't be getting one.

On the topic of USB C chargers I have been using a Google Pixel charger with mine and it charges it no problem while playing.

Top Bottom