• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Anything above $399 then Microsoft would really be pushing it.

Anyone think Microsoft will have any decent trade-in deals for fat Xbox1?

They are not pushing anything, can't afford it? Buy the S.

They have said it million times, Its premium and targeting some group.

Again, not everyone can buy GTX1080 or whatever. They have a low entry model for those who can't afford the more expensive one.

Head.spawn

How the hell are there no leaks yet?

They even had their practice e3 set run already... did they pile into a fucking isolation chamber and go over it in there?

gvHlJfN.gif

Somewhere somebody saw something... spill it nerd.

I'd be surprised if the 4Pro chip was 350mm^2 (to fit your +3%).

roughly 342 or 343 if i remeber correctly.
I can search for the post, or post a picture and you can measure by yourself.

The small SOC is the whole reason, im #399.
They went for higher clockspeeds instead of a bigger chip with more CUs

Finaj

They even had their practice e3 set run already... did they pile into a fucking isolation chamber and go over it in there?

gvHlJfN.gif

Well, Project Scorpio was developed by the Surface team and as far as I can tell, they work in a literal bunker. While other stuff may leak, the Scorpio is pretty much locked down.

Ushay

gvHlJfN.gif

LMAO, the hype is getting real. I truly do not know what to expect (games wise).

2 weeks to go!

Head.spawn

I think we can all agree e3 always takes too long to get here.

I need a two week coma at this point.

NOOO!

MS need to remain tight lipped ffs.

E3 is a glorious day. Lets not waste time
Well, Project Scorpio was developed by the Surface team and as far as I can tell, they work in a literal bunker. While other stuff may leak, the Scorpio is pretty much locked down.

As long as they're aware it's killing me. Hope they're okay with that. lol

Klocker

Targeting higher clock speeds with the same design and process will invariably reduce yields. How much of an impact that will have on production costs is harder to estimate but it's a factor. So the SoC is more expensive to produce, RAM will be 50% more expensive, the optical drive is modestly more expensive. The power supply and cooling solution are likely to be more expensive, too, and I'm expecting the industrial design to be attention grabbing with some associated cost.

$399 would be an aggressive price point.

Logic and reason. Nice.

They are not pushing anything, can't afford it? Buy the S.

They have said it million times, Its premium and targeting some group.

Again, not everyone can buy GTX1080 or whatever. They have a low entry model for those who can't afford the more expensive one.

Which is why I am expecting $449-$499

Also, If they offer a Trade in an old One for $100 puts you at $399 net... Not bad.

jelly

Well, the specs are all out there

Now we wait for the price and design

I can't see it not looking more or less like the dev kit minus the LED panel and other extra bits. The basic design looks solid and in line with what a premium version of the S would be like.

Project-Scorpio-Dev-Kit-800x533.jpg

Just make it black.

Assuming Sony stays on old process nodes while MS uses new ones, of course.
Assuming Sony not only stays on old process nodes, but doesn't even benefit from the maturing of said old process nodes.

No, the list you quoted was pretty spot on.
Both use the same node.

The Scorpio apu is practically the same as the pro one, probably use the same base, but with Ms customizations and Co processors adding a bit of the size.

PSGames

I'm hoping they use a slice of the additional CPU grunt to allow for TV DVR recording. A promised feature that has yet to materialize.

AlStrong

roughly 342 or 343 if i remeber correctly.
I can search for the post, or post a picture and you can measure by yourself.
Based on the iFixit shot of the motherboard, I'm getting approximately 310-315mm^2 (using the 7.5 x 11 mm DDR3 chip as reference).

edit: typo

310-325

👍

I like the surprises!

👊🏾 Amen. I hate the fact leakers rob developers from the experience of unveiling the fruits of their labour. I don't need or want leaks. I can tolerate rumours; hell, I'll even go as far as to say I like them, but I don't like leaks, I hate them and I think the people responsible for them are selfish and petty.

TLZ

Banned
👊🏾 Amen. I hate the fact leakers rob developers from the experience of unveiling the fruits of their labour. I don't need or want leaks. I can tolerate rumours; hell, I'll even go as far as to say I like them, but I don't like leaks, I hate them and I think the people responsible for them are selfish and petty.

Most of them are petty glory hunters and attention seekers.

Based on the iFixit shot of the motherboard, I'm getting approximately 310-315mm^2 (using the 7.5 x 11 mm DDR3 chip as reference).

This was the post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=233472465
Seems like i have to measure myself. You can't trust anyone.

Here is the original Ps4 SOC in 18*19mm =342mm²
QiyYGcB2mVAtCcxy.huge

Here is the Ps4 Pro SOC. What are your lenght and hight mm? Please use the SATA Port as reference point
4N6gx2rfRwkLEJLU.huge

This is the Scorpio SOC in 360mm² as comparison
digitalfoundry-2017-p4vpr8.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is most likely, but I firmly believe there's a very outside chance of a 500GB (or even 1TB) $349 model.

Yeah, I just cant see a 4k ready system, with actual 4k content, launching with only a 500gb hdd

AlStrong

Here is the original Ps4 SOC in 18*19mm =342mm²

Chipworks' measurement of the PS4 chip is 348mm^2. I'm not sure where you're pulling the 342 from.

Please use the SATA Port as reference point

I don't know what reference size this is supposed to be.

edit: make sure you're not counting the epoxy resin at the edges as well, makes it trickier given the low resolution. I've used 95 x 63 pixels for the chip. Unfortunately, the right side of the chip is potentially obscured.

edit2:

The Cypress CYUSB3312 chip there appears to be QFN (exposed leads on the 4 edges, whereas BGA would not have those), which is 10 mm x 10 mm @ 44 x 44 pixels, which leads me back to the results I got with using the DDR3 chip as a reference.

95 x 63 pixels -> ~310mm^2
100 x 63 pixels -> ~325mm^2 (if the chip extends into that red part a few more pixels)

Welfare

The minimum is going to be 1TB. They already said this back in DF reveal. 500GB is already too low nowadays but XB1S can get away with it because of it being the cheapest model.

Can't believe people are thinking this is going to be below 499. The original Xbox was 499. The PS4 pro was 400. Xbox already stated this console was for a premium console. Essentially stating if your not a hardcore gamer you probably won't buy it. I expect a 500+ price and I'll be buying day zero regardless! No way this is 399 or below lol.

I can't see it not looking more or less like the dev kit minus the LED panel and other extra bits. The basic design looks solid and in line with what a premium version of the S would be like.

Project-Scorpio-Dev-Kit-800x533.jpg

Just make it black.

Don't think it's going to look anything like the dev kit. That's probably why Microsoft had no problems showing us the dev kit.

Chobel

With $399 1TB SKU, MS will be barely making profit on hardware, if they're making any at all.

A $349 500GB SKU to "keep prices down" is one sure way to lose at least $20 in each unit sold, so I don't think this supposedly cheaper 500GB SKU is gonna happen, at least not this year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Targeting higher clock speeds with the same design and process will invariably reduce yields. How much of an impact that will have on production costs is harder to estimate but it's a factor. So the SoC is more expensive to produce, RAM will be 50% more expensive, the optical drive is modestly more expensive. The power supply and cooling solution are likely to be more expensive, too, and I'm expecting the industrial design to be attention grabbing with some associated cost.

$399 would be an aggressive price point.

The APU will be more expensive than the PS Pro APU now, but we don't know it would be significantly more expensive than the PS Pro when it launched last year (which would inform a potential $399 price). Increases in production maturity may offset the lower yields from needing to work at a higher clock speed.

That would also mean the pro APU would cost Sony less which may allow them room to cut prices in response (no reason to now as there isn't competition at that performance level)

EvB

With $399 1TB SKU, MS will be barely making profit on hardware, if they're making any at all.

A $349 500GB SKU to "keep prices down" is one sure way to lose at least $20 in each unit sold, so I don't think this supposedly cheaper 500GB SKU is gonna happen, at least not this year.

500gb is beyond unsuitable. 1TB needs to be a cheap option

rokkerkory

MS already said lowest sku is 1TB

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I hope Scorpio will load games from disc on par or faster than the PS4pro. That would be a much-needed improvement.

And install.

After having both a PS3 and 360, I greatly appreciate it this gen. And hope MS changes the way they do it.

Yoday

I agree, the final unit will look quite different.

OT - What are the odds of a discless retail unit?
Zero. Consoles aren't going to have a discless version for a very long time. I wouldn't expect it until the tail end of next generation. I still don't know why people even want a discless. It's costs ~$20 to put in, so you aren't going to see a discless unit magically cost $50-$100 less.They would have a version of a console on the market that has a tiny target audience for the benefit of a $20-$30 price drop. That just doesn't make sense.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I agree, the final unit will look quite different.

OT - What are the odds of a discless retail unit?

I'm pretty sure the Digital Foundry exposé confirmed it has a UHD BR drive.

Walshicus

Zero. Consoles aren't going to have a discless version for a very long time. I wouldn't expect it until the tail end of next generation. I still don't know why people even want a discless. It's costs ~$20 to put in, so you aren't going to see a discless unit magically cost $50-$100 less.They would have a version of a console on the market that has a tiny target audience for the benefit of a $20-$30 price drop. That just doesn't make sense.

Discless surely had benefits beyond that cost of materials. Should reduce heating etc. too?

My 6yr old has my 360 and was going to give him my x1 when Scorpio released.
Now decided to get 2 Scorpios and let him have a new gift instead of my hand me downs.

Hopefully be a nice birthday present.

TLZ

Banned
My 6yr old has my 360 and was going to give him my x1 when Scorpio released.
Now decided to get 2 Scorpios and let him have a new gift instead of my hand me downs.

Hopefully be a nice birthday present.
That's awesome.........

Can I be your kid?

AmyS

Agreed. I don't expect discs to go away for another 10 to 15 years. maybe around 2030.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom