• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isurus

MS definitely had a target price from the onset of this thing. It's been a constraint all along. I have a hard time believing they went into it targeting a 599 or even a 499 base price console. Even at a premium, it seems like that would be dead in the market (see the original launch of the Xbox One or the flack Sony got during the launch of the PS3, both of which were even NEW generations, which this isn't). The only thing that has me hesitant is that they may look to the Elite controller as a reference point, where folks (including me) were willing to pay 2.5x for the extra features. Scorpio doesn't really offer extra "features" though in the same sense as the Elite; it offers enhanced graphics.

I'm very much expecting two models, a base at $399 and a $499 version with some extra features (maybe an Elite controller, maybe just a larger HDD). Similar to the approach with the S version, I expect only the $499 version to be available at launch (August), with a 1-2 month delay for the base version (in time for the holidays). A higher price and/or later timing will both shock and disappoint me (and also would make no sense to announce at E3).

Colbert

Banned
I see nothing in the console (Scorpio) that would put the price above $499. SOC die size is the same as it was with the OG Xbox One and that console was offered for $499 including an expensive to manufacture Kinect. The only thing which makes the Scorpio console slightly more expensive to make compared to the OG Xbox One or the Xbox One S is the cooling solution and the additional memory. But not above $499.

EmiPrime

PS4 Pro is currently £350 with a game and there will conceivably be deals closer to £300 around November/December. They need to match Sony's launch price of £350 to stand a chance. Given the Xbox One S has been available for £200 with at least one game almost since it launched (now it's around £200 with 3 games and an extra controller) I don't think £350 is outrageous.

$449 at the most with a packer in game or two. Probably Forza Horizon 3 and/or Halo 5, both of which I fully expect to have performance enhancing patches specifically for Scorpio.

Kaydan

Banned
I believe its going to be 499$ for base model and 599$ for premium model with Elite controller. Wouldn't make sense to launch a premium SKU at a lower price than the base console when it launched.

m23

$449 at the most with a packer in game or two. Probably Forza Horizon 3 and/or Halo 5, both of which I fully expect to have performance enhancing patches specifically for Scorpio.

I think they'd rather pack in Game Pass for a short period than actual games, at least for launch.

Madness

Unless they are releasing it with an SSD and Elite Controller 2.0, I just cannot see a price above $399 USD. Yes it is a premium console. But let's not pretend the specs were balls to the wall amazing. It is coming a year later than PS4 Pro which launched at $399.

Again, I could maybe see $449 as they said it would have a UHD blu-ray 4K drive, maybe could see something premium, but it would really take the wind out of the scorpio launch sales if it came at $499 USD.

I believe its going to be 499$ for base model and 599$ for premium model with Elite controller. Wouldn't make sense to launch a premium SKU at a lower price than the base console when it launched.

Knock a hundred off of each of those SKUs. They bundled in the Kinect because they thought they had nothing to lose. If they don't price this right, they will lose more than if they had just waited until the next console generation. They have a golden opportunity since PS4Pro is out to make a good decision here.

Daffy Duck

Unless they are releasing it with an SSD and Elite Controller 2.0, I just cannot see a price above $399 USD. Yes it is a premium console. But let's not pretend the specs were balls to the wall amazing. It is coming a year later than PS4 Pro which launched at $399.

Again, I could maybe see $449 as they said it would have a UHD blu-ray 4K drive, maybe could see something premium, but it would really take the wind out of the scorpio launch sales if it came at $499 USD.

But they've been peddling the premium console blah blah, it's going to be £499/$499.

oldergamer

299 with a 2yr $15/month contract to xbox live + game service bundle.

Could you imagine the most powerful console released at 299 and coming with 100 games? Make it happen Spencer!

Detective

Scorpio has nothing to do with matching PS pro or not.

If you want a cheap entry, you have the one s, want a premium product , it's Scorpio. Simple as that.

Not everyone can afford everything, pretty much like Graphic cards and laptops, not everyone can buy a high end product.

gamz

Scorpio has nothing to do with matching PS pro or not.

If you want a cheap entry, you have the one s, want a premium product , it's Scorpio. Simple as that.

Not everyone can afford everything, pretty much like Graphic cards and laptops, not everyone can buy a high end product.

Thank you. I have no idea why people come are comparing the Pro?

jeffram

299 with a 2yr $15/month contract to xbox live + game service bundle.

Could you imagine the most powerful console released at 299 and coming with 100 games? Make it happen Spencer!

How would that even work? I don't think people would be happy to buy a game console that requires a signing a contract, or that won't boot up until you enter your credit card.

jeffram

There is some obvious tech in there that's going to make it more expensive to manufacture than the pro:

Larger APU
4K blu-ray ($15 apparently)
more GDDR 5 chips
more powerful PSU
More expensive cooling solution
HDMI In/out

That might be a reason for a $50 buffer between the two at any time.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think it'll be more expensive than the Pro was at launch. Maybe only by 50, possibly 100. Build costs aside, if they launched it at the same price then the layman might see it as the same capability as the Pro but a year later.

gamz

There is some obvious tech in there that's going to make it more expensive to manufacture than the pro:

Larger APU
more GDDR 5 chips
more powerful PSU
HDMI In/out

Dolby Atmos license fee. And I'm sure the all around build of the box will be premium.

oldergamer

How would that even work? I don't think people would be happy to buy a game console that requires a signing a contract, or that won't boot up until you enter your credit card.
You must not own a cell phone? Its not just kids that buy game consoles. Its about time someone subsidized thr price of a console for a monthly payment. Its far more accessible then a $500 one time payment.

greenegt

MS definitely had a target price from the onset of this thing. It's been a constraint all along. I have a hard time believing they went into it targeting a 599 or even a 499 base price console. Even at a premium, it seems like that would be dead in the market (see the original launch of the Xbox One or the flack Sony got during the launch of the PS3, both of which were even NEW generations, which this isn't). The only thing that has me hesitant is that they may look to the Elite controller as a reference point, where folks (including me) were willing to pay 2.5x for the extra features. Scorpio doesn't really offer extra "features" though in the same sense as the Elite; it offers enhanced graphics.

I'm very much expecting two models, a base at $399 and a $499 version with some extra features (maybe an Elite controller, maybe just a larger HDD). Similar to the approach with the S version, I expect only the $499 version to be available at launch (August), with a 1-2 month delay for the base version (in time for the holidays). A higher price and/or later timing will both shock and disappoint me (and also would make no sense to announce at E3).

I think you nailed it. That all makes the most business sense for MS.

Lady Gaia

MS definitely had a target price from the onset of this thing. It's been a constraint all along. I have a hard time believing they went into it targeting a 599 or even a 499 base price console.

I agree they've had a price target in mind all along, and they've built to that goal. I also agree that it would be foolish if they thought they were in a position to sell a $499+ system. I'm substantially less confident that they aren't capable of making exactly that mistake. This is a company that thought Windows Ultimate edition was a great way to pad the bottom line, that isn't the least bit afraid to put micro transactions front and center in first party content, and that currently offers a $149 controller.

I expect either $499 or $449, and I'd be quite pleasantly surprised at $399.

Thorrgal

Anything over €399 will be dead on arrival, and Microsoft knows this. They're not in a position to release a product with a €799 price tag, apart from the really hardcore that thing just wouldn't sell.

€399 for the base model, €499 for a premium edition. Anything over that and Microsoft might as well cease production now.

I think it will be $399 but I also think it will sell mainly to the most hardcore, so in that aspect an expensive console would make more sense. I wish they would've gone that route and made Scorpio a real next gen console.

EvB

Yeah, do expect the currency symbol to be changed between $, € and £.

Thanks to the poor value of the £ and Sales tax always being included in our prices is pretty much bang on now.
Switch is actually cheaper in the UK when you even out the sales tax thing

I think they'd rather pack in Game Pass for a short period than actual games, at least for launch.

That's a good shout! Could easily see them bundling 1 or 2 months for free...The main reason I can see against it is that a console purchase is naturally a prime time for people to buy games, so they might be hurting the sales of full prices games...I can't see that being a big issue though.

I just can't see them announcing $499 live on the E3 stage again, not after the disaster of the 2013 price reveal. Sure it's a nice console and will be worth that to some, but it will still come across as a mistake and a black shadow over the conference. The talk from all the outlets will just be focus on the price and if anyone will actually care to buy it.

But it will be okay if they announce a $499 bundle then also a cheaper one for the 'masses'.

Larger APU
more GDDR 5 chips
more powerful PSU
HDMI In/out

The Scorpio SOC is not much bigger than Ps4 Pro. Just about 3%.
The SOC is likely even cheaper to produce as the yields improved over last year.

Just the GDDR5 chips are a real cost driving factor over Ps4. (50% more expwnsive)

cakely

Very reasonable and exactly what I'm expecting. Price announced at E3 will be $399 (and $499). All the pre-orders will be for the $499 version.

Hotsuma

Just give me a good trade in price for my Xbox One, that's the main thing that will get me there on day one. I'm also wondering about what monitors and TVs will be on sale around the time of release....

gamz

I just can't see them announcing $499 live on the E3 stage again, not after the disaster of the 2013 price reveal. Sure it's a nice console and will be worth that to some, but it will still come across as a mistake and a black shadow over the conference. The talk from all the outlets will just be focus on the price and if anyone will actually care to buy it.

But it will be okay if they announce a $499 bundle then also a cheaper one for the 'masses'.

Totally different. They didn't have a Xbox One S in 2013. Nothing wrong with 499 reveal. Anyone expecting 399 is nutso. It's one helluva kit for that price.

Source?

The cost of producing the 4Pro chip would have gone down similarly.

Ms revealed the size of the Scorpio SOC
And the Pro SOC was measured.

There was a post in the digital foundry reveal topic, if i recall correctly.

I was talking about SOC costs Ps4 Pro at launch vs Scorpio at launch.
Ps4 Pro launched at 399 and profitable.

Totally different. They didn't have a Xbox One S in 2013. Nothing wrong with 499 reveal. Anyone expecting 399 is nutso. It's one helluva kit for that price.

It's not totally different because once again their product doesn't exist in a vacuum. And now it's actually worse because all the momentum is already with PlayStation. The Scorpio, although better, is still Xbox's version of PS4 Pro, only arriving one year later. That is ultimately what it will be compared to and the price needs to reflect that.

Unless MS don't care and are happy to just sell it to a couple of million core Xbox fans then sure, they can price it at whatever they want. But I suspect they want the Scorpio to help them have a stronger second half of this generation.

Also there's nothing in the hardware IMO which means it can't be $399, even if sold at a small loss. Which can then be offset by a higher priced bundle.

gamz

It's not totally different because once again their product doesn't exist in a vacuum. And now it's actually worse because all the momentum is already with PlayStation. The Scorpio, although better, is still Xbox's version of PS4 Pro, only arriving one year later. That is ultimately what it will be compared to and the price needs to reflect that.

Unless MS don't care and are happy to just sell it to a couple of million core Xbox fans then sure, they can price it at whatever they want. But I suspect they want the Scorpio to help them have a stronger second half of this generation.

Also there's nothing in the hardware IMO which means it can't be $399, even if sold at a small loss. Which can then be offset by a higher priced bundle.

They'll price it at a small loss or break even.

This has turned into a price thread. We'll see in three weeks.

Rolf NB

The Scorpio SOC is not much bigger than Ps4 Pro. Just about 3%.
Assuming Sony stays on old process nodes while MS uses new ones, of course.
hanspampel said:
The SOC is likely even cheaper to produce as the yields improved over last year.
Assuming Sony not only stays on old process nodes, but doesn't even benefit from the maturing of said old process nodes.

hanspampel said:
Just the GDDR5 chips are a real cost driving factor over Ps4. (50% more expwnsive)
No, the list you quoted was pretty spot on.

Assuming Sony stays on old process nodes while MS uses new ones, of course.
Assuming Sony not only stays on old process nodes, but doesn't even benefit from the maturing of said old process nodes.

No, the list you quoted was pretty spot on.

Im not sure that anyone is arguing that this will be cheaper than the Pro. Everyone expects it to cost more because we expect a pro price cut. Three argument folks are making is that Scorpio can cost the same this year as the Pro did last year.

I'd be surprised if the 4Pro chip was 350mm^2 (to fit your +3%).

Scorpio is clocked much higher. Had they clocked lower they would have needed more SOC space for more cores to hit the same TFLOPs.

cakely

Xbox Scorpio is Polaris and Jaguar. It's being released at the end of 2017. A $399 price is a completely reasonable assumption to make at this point for those components at that late date.

Arkam

I firmly believe it will $399 with a 1TB drive.

Same. Though I could see $449 just as likely. Now if they pack in the Pro controller and games I could see the case for $499+. I just think MS is smarter than that. We all know Sony is going to do a price drop if the Scorpio price/bundle looks any good so they should plan against.

AlStrong

Scorpio is clocked much higher. Had they clocked lower they would have needed more SOC space for more cores to hit the same TFLOPs.

Obviously, but that doesn't really specify much.

We know Scorpio has 8 additional CUs. Scorpio also has a larger memory bus, which doesn't shrink with the fab node (i.e. non-insignificant contribution).

#team399
Anything higher is suicide.
After the xbox one 499$ release price,
I believe ms has learned it's lesson.
They want the Scorpio in as many homes as possible.
They want to win back gamers, like me whom switched platforms to PS4 . They want Xbox 360 two.
IMO

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to pay for Dolby Atmos and download it as an App.

And it's absolutely not worth it right now. It doesn't even work properly at the moment. Not in games and not in movies. Unless it's normal that people in party chat sound like they are in a bathroom and voices in movies sound off.

Lady Gaia

The Scorpio SOC is not much bigger than Ps4 Pro. Just about 3%. The SOC is likely even cheaper to produce as the yields improved over last year.

Targeting higher clock speeds with the same design and process will invariably reduce yields. How much of an impact that will have on production costs is harder to estimate but it's a factor. So the SoC is more expensive to produce, RAM will be 50% more expensive, the optical drive is modestly more expensive. The power supply and cooling solution are likely to be more expensive, too, and I'm expecting the industrial design to be attention grabbing with some associated cost.

$399 would be an aggressive price point.

Raide

Anything above $399 then Microsoft would really be pushing it.

Anything think Microsoft will have any decent trade-in deals for fat Xbox1?

I think that will probably be the retailers job but I could be wrong. Would love to hang in my Xbox One to MS and they transfer all my stuff over haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom