• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I was expensive then that could mean it was ryzen. Oddly that would make me more likely to buy it. I'm not interested in a pro-like box, I already have a pro for that. But a significant cpu bump too and you'd get my attention even at a high price.

This doesn't need to sell in volume either - it can be MS' Halo product while the XB1 continues to sell to the more cost conscious consumer.

Frostman

349 is.. how do you say? A pipe dream

It's still a console. Made to be as simple as possible. It'll support TV resolutions, which are widescreen.

I'm talking 21:9, without black bars. Its not going to happen, but that would fix a complaint of the Pro. Considering a lot of those games render at 1440p, extra support would have been great.

I'm talking 21:9, without black bars. Its not going to happen, but that would fix a complaint of the Pro. Considering a lot of those games render at 1440p, extra support would have been great.

Ah, ultra wide. Yeah, very unlikely.

1440p support would have been great as it would have opened up many more monitor options

TLZ

Banned
I heard a frightening figure regarding cost from someone in the industry.

It's a bit of a 'friend knows a guy who worked with someone who...' situation, so I'm trying to take it with a pinch of salt.

But, sweet mother of God, if it's true, I'm probably out.
Tales from Uranus are always insightful.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Remember this is on sale alongside the existing system, so it's going to easily be $200+ higher than what the bone is going for.

The pro is $100 more than the PS4. From the announced specs, if it is just a Jaguar plus bigger GPU there is no reason to be $200 more than XB1

I would be very ok with this to be honest. But is 399 a realistic expectation when the Pro already was/is 399 but Scorpio is quite a bit stronger?

I think so. Scorpio is significantly more powerful but it launches a year later. Usually prices for these components drops pretty quickly, one year should be enough. Then again, it is a bigger upgrade compared to the Pro as MS has added more memory. Maybe $429?

Thorrgal

I think so. Scorpio is significantly more powerful but it launches a year later. Usually prices for these components drops pretty quickly, one year should be enough. Then again, it is a bigger upgrade compared to the Pro as MS has added more memory. Maybe $429?

That is an odd pricepoint. Is gotta be either $399 or $499

anothertech

I have yet to see a single piece of evidence or reasoning that makes any sense of a higher than $399 price for a 1TB model. I'd be shocked if it cost more than $100 extra to build over the One S.
The Launch edition 1.3tf Xbone S 2tb is on amazon right this moment for $487. Only 15 left in stock mind you.

You honestly think in 3 weeks, MS is going to announce their premium new hardware, 6 times more powerful, for less than that?

Strootman

The Launch edition 1.3tf Xbone S 2tb is on amazon right this moment for $487. Only 15 left in stock mind you.

You honestly think in 3 weeks, MS is going to announce their premium new hardware, 6 times more powerful, for less than that?
I don't know where you see that price, but the XBO S 2TB GoW edition is on amazon for $314... Edit actually $382 for new console not used.

grizzelye

Most likely 500Gb for 399 or 449. 2tb 599?

CrayToes

$599 would be hilarious. No way MS is launching a Jaguar based console at that price in 2017.

$399 is the sweet spot and depending on the launch date and games supported at launch, I may be there day 1.

Caayn

For €600,- it should come with a Vega based GPU (not Polaris) and a Ryzen based CPU.

With the current specs I'm expecting €400,- for the base version.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
You can buy an xbox 1s 500GB + FIFA 17 + Gears of War 4 + GTA V + Extra 2nd Controller for £199.99.

If the Scorpio is more than £399 it's not going to go down well.

Anything over €399 will be dead on arrival, and Microsoft knows this. They're not in a position to release a product with a €799 price tag, apart from the really hardcore that thing just wouldn't sell.

€399 for the base model, €499 for a premium edition. Anything over that and Microsoft might as well cease production now.

Wait a sec. You go on Amazon, and pick a limited version of a console, that's selling above MSRP, and use that as a barometer to question a fellow member on their price estimate?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The pro is $100 more than the PS4. From the announced specs, if it is just a Jaguar plus bigger GPU there is no reason to be $200 more than XB1

Yea I dont expect them them to overshoot the competition in price.

But I have seen in PC land when the ram difference is like that....its going to be at least $450.

yea I know we keep looking at vs the PS4 Pro but its also vs the XBO.

Its going to be over $400 but under $500.

//DEVIL//

MS learned a hard lesson with the 500$ tag. This thing isn't above 400$ at all.

I M expecting the Xbox one s to be 200 $ this fall and Scorpio to 400$ . Not. Cent more

That won't happen. There's 0% chance of a model without a controller
I agree with you that it won't happen, but it actually makes perfect sense to have a model without a controller. If this is a premium version for enthusiasts, who of those enthusiasts isn't already going to own at least one if not multiple controllers? If I could get an xbox one at a cheaper price by not having a controller included, I'd be all over that.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'm still expecting £349.99 ($399.99). One thing I am interested in is if Scorpio supports a wider range of resolutions and monitors. 1440p? Widescreen?

I'm definitely not getting my hopes up, considering the Pro doesn't, but it would be fantastic.

Same here for the UK. There's no reason it should be more expensive than PS4 Pro was here at launch because although it's more powerful it's launching a year later.

If MS was really serious about winning back the UK they'd launch at £299 with a bundled digital game but I don't see it happening.

peppers

They have handled this thing flawlessly, from original reveal to specs discussion. It'd be insane it they fucked up the price right at the end of their E3.
IMO the high price of the Elite controller was justified, and IIRC it didn't leak so it was unexpected.This is different now, all eyes are on them and they must not mess this up.

I know it doesn't work like that but 399$/€ Phil, whatever it takes.

Edit: I actually think they will reveal the price at the end of the conference, purely because Phil said he wanted us to see the games BEFORE wanting to purchase the machine. If it's higher than expected, revealing the price at the start will automatically turn some people off, while leaving it for the end could make them think that it's worth it.
If It's not higher than expected, well that's just a great happy ending.

They have handled this thing flawlessly, from original reveal to specs discussion. It'd be insane it they fucked up the price right at the end of their E3.
IMO the high price of the Elite controller was justified, and IIRC it didn't leak so it was unexpected.This is different now, all eyes are on them and they must not mess this up.

I know it doesn't work like that but 399$/€ Phil, whatever it takes.
This thing will have been designed to a price from the outset. I can't see MS sat down in their planning meeting of 2014 thinking that a $599 console would be a success, especially after XBO launch.

gamz

The new Surface Pro is $799 and £799. That should be a decent indicator of the Scorpio price.

Not really. Surface line has always been priced higher not to piss off their oem partner's and what not. Surface isn't any kind of indicator on Xbox price.

mike4001_

It's hard to understand 499€, considering the specs.

Why is that number being thrown around so much?

Because the PS4 Pro is € 399 and everyone thinks "So this thing is faster than the PS4 Pro, so it must be more expensive"

What most people are forgetting is that the PS4 was 399 at the end of 2016. Component-wise the ~40% power increase will cost the same amount in the end of 2017 which is when Scorpio is supposed to come out.

mhayze

Sounds reasonable - if there was a pool I'd put my money somewhere close to 429.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom