• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

abq

Luigiv said:
Q: Is the online play cross-region? At least for NA\EU?
A: Sadly no. Servers will be regional. NA and PAL GAF will have to be divided on this one :(.
Does anyone how this usually works? Would a US console and game located in Europe be locked to the US or Europe?

Amazing OP!!

I have a few Qs tho.

This is my first real monster hunter. Can't wait to get it!

However, does anybody know how the game will handle players of differing levels/equipment quality and quest handling, etc?
Edit: nevermind on this. the op states that levels dont really come into play, so i guess u can jump in and play with anybody and only some equipment differences come into play, eh?

Also, progress in single player and multiplayer is the same, right? so i can choose to grind some single player and have some sessions multiplayer all with same character, right?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So just how much content is in this game? Is everyone going to look the same come end-game (if there is such a thing) with the same weapons and such? And monsters, is there a good deal of big baddies out there, or is the OP showing off most of them?

Luigiv

abq said:
Does anyone how this usually works? Would a US console and game located in Europe be locked to the US or Europe?
Well we won't know for sure until the game releases, but I think it's safe to guess that servers will be divided by disc region. I'm just hoping us Aus Hunters can play with the Euro Hunters.

Amazing OP!!

I have a few Qs tho.

This is my first real monster hunter. Can't wait to get it!

However, does anybody know how the game will handle players of differing levels/equipment quality and quest handling, etc?
Edit: nevermind on this. the op states that levels dont really come into play, so i guess u can jump in and play with anybody and only some equipment differences come into play, eh?

Also, progress in single player and multiplayer is the same, right? so i can choose to grind some single player and have some sessions multiplayer all with same character, right?

Yep, there are no restrictions on entering quests. So even if you have entirely maxxed out equipment you can still join and help a newb on his very first quest.

EvaPlusMinus said:
So just how much content is in this game? Is everyone going to look the same come end-game (if there is such a thing) with the same weapons and such? And monsters, is there a good deal of big baddies out there, or is the OP showing off most of them?

I think i read there are like 18 or so of the biggest monsters. so that in itself is a pretty big number. then there are smaller creatures in the world. Don't know how many of them there are. the official site shows a lot of the monsters, but don't know how many there really are in the game. this is my first monster hunter. =)

Stahsky

18 is a good number. Even more so if they are tough to take down.

EvaPlusMinus said:
18 is a good number. Even more so if they are tough to take down.

I hear that monster hunter can be tough, haha. so i don't think that will be a problem. I'm quite sure many of them will be tough to take down, which makes it rewarding.

I felt great just beating the demo monsters, haha. cant imagine the joy of taking down the bigger stuff.

dahuman

Neo Member
This is the best thing that's ever happened to the Wii, imo. A game with extremely high play time and massively addicting. BUY THIS GAME!

I just started looking into the content that Monster Frontier has in my MH high, and i like what i see. 18 monsters, all of which are mostly new is great, but i would have seriously jumped at capcom throwing in some of the originals they made for frontier into tri. How hard would that have a been? SHARE THAT CONTENT WITH THOSE OF US NOT IN JAPAN CAPCOM. Sheesh.

Anyway, can someone tell me what they honestly think the chances of a Tri G are and when they think it will show up?

Tuesday can't come soon enough. Let's hype this bitch up baby!

Oh and is there going to be a thread where we could set up a day and time to meet up online in the game and play. I know that the servers are split between US and EU but it would be cool if we could make a general thread for the US/EU and set up some time or day and hook up. Just a thought :D

Luigiv

Gamer @ Heart said:
I just started looking into the content that Monster Frontier has in my MH high, and i like what i see. 18 monsters, all of which are mostly new is great, but i would have seriously jumped at capcom throwing in some of the originals they made for frontier into tri. How hard would that have a been? SHARE THAT CONTENT WITH THOSE OF US NOT IN JAPAN CAPCOM. Sheesh.

Anyway, can someone tell me what they honestly think the chances of a Tri G are and when they think it will show up?
800px-Deyuragua.png

799px-Dyuragaua.png

:lol:lol:lol

Worst designed monster ever!

Teknoman

Luckydude23 said:
Tuesday can't come soon enough. Let's hype this bitch up baby!

Oh and is there going to be a thread where we could set up a day and time to meet up online in the game and play. I know that the servers are split between US and EU but it would be cool if we could make a general thread for the US/EU and set up some time or day and hook up. Just a thought :D

Probably in the online forum, but we're gonna have a Steam group, and also use the GAF WFC IRC room.

Speaking of which, anyone want to make a decent logo for the Steam group? That way we can have announcements and stuff as well.

Tenbatsu

Yes, one character for both online/offline. You can create a total of six characters in one Wii console, for the Jap ver at least.

Gamer @ Heart said:
After the release of MHP3rd. This is the flow now I assume: MH3 -> MHP3rd -> MH3G ->MHP3rdG rather than as before: MH2 -> MHP2nd -> MHP2ndG. I can be wrong too, and they totally skip MH3G for console but I doubt so.

Earliest for MH3G to be announce will be this fall or early next year.

So, this isn't like PSO where you can get weapons from defeating enemies? You have to get parts and create weapons instead?

and where do you get rares? only bosses?

Mockingbird said:
So, this isn't like PSO where you can get weapons from defeating enemies? You have to get parts and create weapons instead?

and where do you get rares? only bosses?

Yeah. All armor and weapon sets revolve around one monster usually and you just keep fighting them until you carve the item from their cold corpse that you need to upgrade. All carves have a certain % chance. You can wear armor that has stats to increase those chances in the other games, but im not sure if they are in this one but i dont see why the wouldnt be. When you beat a quest that revolves around a certain monster, you have another % chance of getting various items in the rewards after you finish including rare ones. You can also cut off pieces of monsters like their tails to get more carves or break pieces on them like their wings, claws, head gear to get extra items in the rewards.

There are low level versions of monsters then after you pass a certain guild rank you unlock higher level versions of monsters with more HP that are much stronger that you can carve different higher level quality pieces from that are required for the highest level items.

john tv

Oh man, that spider thing looks rad. Looking forward to Frontier in June as well, but first I need to get my English Tri fix. :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I can't wait for Wednesday, this is going to be great!! ^_^ The game sounds complicated though and this is my first MH... perhaps I'll pick up a strategy guide as well (assuming it's available Day 1).

I'm psyched!

Teknoman

Yeah this is one game i'm picking up a guide for...well if its decently made of course. But looking at Capcom and Nintendo's efforts for 3, i'm sure it will be.

Luigiv

Gamer @ Heart said:
That one may suck, but thats just an ice remix of a tigrex for the latest expansion. What im talking about are the original monsters they made for the game like:
They're all pretty sub-par next to the main series monsters. Only Beru (Electric Rathalos) is apparently any fun to fight and I still hate his design (Why the hell does he tentacles coming out of his finger tips? Keep that shit in Final Fantasy).

I do like Raviente's design but apparently he's boring as hell to fight.

Teknoman

Htown said:
So is the CC Pro definitely the way to play this?

Yup. Co-designed by Capcom and Nintendo. Better sticks, shoulder buttons, and grip...I think the D-pad is the same. The way to play TvC and MH3 for sure.

Kandinsky said:
Always liked Wii games OT because they were simple one post OPs >_>

Anyways probably getting this next week, hope its fun :D

No worries there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there any kind of camera center button when playing with the CC? It's annoying to manage the camera, my fingers are dumb and keep flip flopping between standard and inverted controls.

Halfmunch

sprsk said:
The 10 Commandments of Monster Hunter

Awesome official thread! I love the 10 Commandments of Monster Hunter too! Anyone unfamiliar with Monster Hunter this will be a great help! Incredibly rewarding game!

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:
They're all pretty sub-par next to the main series monsters. Only Beru (Electric Rathalos) is apparently any fun to fight and I still hate his design (Why the hell does he tentacles coming out of his finger tips? Keep that shit in Final Fantasy).

I do like Raviente's design but apparently he's boring as hell to fight.
Sent, hope you like the new banner!:D

Edit: PM john tv to help ya with changing the title name and we are good to go!

Tenbatsu

Seraphis Cain said:
Question for someone who might know (*cough*Tenbatsu*cough*).

How do traps work underwater in Tri?
Same as land but you are only able to use Shock Trap. It will be kinda weird to use pitfall trap underwater:lol

Tenbatsu

Seraphis Cain said:
Do the shock traps float, or do they sink to the bottom?
Floating.

john tv said:
Sure thing -- what'll it be?
Check with Luigiv, I think to include yours(adrenaline-pumping, bone-crunching, dragon-raping AWESOME):D

Btw I tweak the banner design a bit, how do you guys feel bout it?
2czc51s.jpg

good job for the offcial thread, can wait to get the game :D

I have some questions..

can I change my character hair and color just like in FU?
do they keeped the earrings to show your characters hair maintaing the defense?

john tv

Teknoman said:
I cant wait to hear some of the larger boss themes. If a goofy monster like Qurupecco can have such a great theme, some of the larger bosses must be mindblowing.
The music in Tri is amazing. I've listened to the soundtrack more than any other game music in the past year. I heard they had a big budget for the music, and it definitely shows. :)

ShinNL

Tenbatsu said:
Btw I tweak the banner design a bit, how do you guys feel bout it?
[/IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2czc51s.jpg[/IMG]
That's nice and personally I think it's better. Gives more of an oomph effect.

Stahsky

Hey dudes, I got those goofy classic controllers that looks like a SNES pad with sticks. Will those work with this game? Or should I just nut up and grab one of those neat looking new pro controllers?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what really changed between the PSP/PS2 versions and the Wii versions, for the mainstream press to suddenly give a game in the series high scores?

did they finally realize they were complete retards when it came to reviewing the series? or is the MH3 really that accessible compared to the PSP/PS2 MH games?

Because I find all these high scores hard to believe, considering how harsh the media was with this series.

Error said:
what really changed between the PSP/PS2 versions and the Wii versions, for the mainstream press to suddenly give a game in the series high scores?

did they finally realize they were complete retards when it came to reviewing the series? or is the MH3 really that accessible compared to the PSP/PS2 MH games?

Because I find all these high scores hard to believe, considering how harsh the media was with this series.

It's not on PSP.

Also, only the first came out here on consoles and had no other control options than the fighting on the right analogue stick which was silly and some very clunky online.

The third one just clears all those issue up and incorporates the numerous small streamline functions like farming, kitchen, menu tweaks, inventory management and more that make it way less frustrating to manage.

Zzoram

Error said:

Maybe seeing a AAA effort by a 3rd party on Wii is worth extra points given the ecosystem.

john tv

Error said:

The Wii version is definitely more user-friendly at the start than the previous games, but I think more than that it's just that reviewers finally had a chance to really play it online and understand what makes it so good. How many reviewers do you honestly think got four PSPs together to play multiplayer MH on PSP? Not many, I'm sure.

Gamer @ Heart said:
It's not on PSP.
Whatchoo talkin' bout, Gamer @ Heart

Error said:

Well, I know the PSP version got mixed reviews, but Capcom seemed to improve on the game with every new iteration. The scores kept getting higher with every new installment.

Maybe Tri is the definitive and Capcom hit the right notes with it. Also, I don't think it's a port but a game built from the ground up.

I have no idea if the PSP versions is a port of the PS2 ones, but it seemed different to me when I played them. There were more MH games on the PS2 in Japan so Capcom must've kept fine-tuning it until they got it right.

Top Bottom