• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami = Review Thread -

Bishop89

i cant believe in the span of a year we would have had 0, Kiwami & 6 all released in the west.

Whatatimetobealive.gif

i cant believe in the span of a year we would have had 0, Kiwami & 6 all released in the west.

Whatatimetobealive.gif
It'll be a little more than a year.

But I know what you mean.

Ron-Swanson-Fist-Of-Feels-Success.gif

ubiblu

i'm not gonna tell you what to think but preferring 6 to 2&4 definitely is not a popular opinion

The hate for Y6 is completely beyond me. I thought the entire experience was incredible.

Whatatimetobealive.gif

Y'all should just import and play along to Salty Yen's videos. They are awesome fun and let you play the game 12-18 months early.

Sounds like differing opinions. Uh-oh! I hate the story of Y1, and actually loved Y3/5 besides the terrible pacing. Y6 is the best one after Zero. You want to fight me on that too?

Eh, kinda have to disagree on 6 being the best outside of 2 (in my opinion, not saying your wrong :) ). I loved 6, but (super spoilers for the story)
the final boss was a punch in the face to Kiryu. Some shitty wannabe gangster with daddy issues? This is the final boss fight in the legacy if Kiryu and this is what you do? They could have tweaked the ending to have Someya somehow the final boss instead and just end the game one fight earlier and I'd have been way more happy with how it turns out. Love the final scene with Kiryu/Haruto walking though. That kinda redeemed the ending for me.

Gameplay wise I'm torn. I love the new engine, love how the combat feels, love the new activities and fully voiced side stories. I do miss some old mini games, I miss not having more weapons/heat moves and I do miss certain areas of Kamuracho. I'd say its a solid game, but not quite as good as 0.

Then again I put Kenzan at the top of my "best of Yakuza" list so we are all different :)

Murman

I can't believe it took me to zero to realise this was a series for me. Can't wait for Kiwami, gonna beat it and watch a recap of the story up to yakuza 5 before 6 comes out next year.

Everyone should give this series a chance.

Gacha-pin

The hate for Y6 is completely beyond me. I thought the entire experience was incredible.

Y'all should just import and play along to Salty Yen's videos. They are awesome fun and let you play the game 12-18 months early.

Well, as far as I know, yakuza gaf doesn't have good taste.

Guys, I'll settle this once and for all.

2 > 0 > 3 > 4 >> 5 > 1 (original version)

There, that's the official ranking, now quit your bellyaching and move on. Also, to the guy who said that 3 has a forgettable antagonist... you're nuts!

Aki-at

Arguing about which Yakuza game is the best is asking which finger you'd like to get chopped off. I love all my fingers.

But 5 is the best until Kiwami 2 is made and Goda returns with his glorious blonde locks.

Guys, I'll settle this once and for all.

2 > 0 > 3 > 4 >> 5 > 1 (original version)

There, that's the official ranking, now quit your bellyaching and move on. Also, to the guy who said that 3 has a forgettable antagonist... you're nuts!

You rate one the worst and that's Kiwami so should I be looking at inevitable disappointment?
Or it'll still be great for the newbies like us who've only played 0?

OléGunner;246603334 said:
You rate one the worst and that's Kiwami so should I be looking at inevitable disappointment?
It's like talking about the best vintages of wines. They're all amazing, it's just a matter of which one we prefer.

Aki-at

He means the original version which is mechanically dated and could get like 20 seconds loading screens. Kiwami fixes A LOT of issues with the original.

No, because they've addressed the two major issues with the remake. There's no godawful western dub that shits all over a quintessentially Japanese game to suffer through this time, and the game isn't as slight and underdeveloped now. From what I understand, there's a lot that's been added content wise. This is why I'm eager to play Kiwami myself, despite not liking the original very much.

Ravage

Never played the first two, now I'll finally get to experience the original entry. Hope they do Kiwami 2 next.

For me it's like this:

0>2>Kenzan>1>3>5>4

It's a shame I will never got to play Ishin, I feel gameplaywise it would be one of the funniest.

It's like talking about the best vintages of wines. They're all amazing, it's just a matter of which one we prefer.

Ha, great analogy! I see what Acqui was getting at.

He means the original version which is mechanically dated and could get like 20 seconds loading screens. Kiwami fixes A LOT of issues with the original.

No, because they've addressed the two major issues with the remake. There's no godawful western dub that shits all over a quintessentially Japanese game to suffer through this time, and the game isn't as slight and underdeveloped now. From what I understand, there's a lot that's been added content wise. This is why I'm eager to play Kiwami myself, despite not liking the original very much.

So the fixes in this remake should elevate it far beyond the first game.
Had no idea Y1 had a western dub, I dunno why anyone would want that for this series specifically (although since it was the first one makes sense).

Thanks for clarifying though, I'm hoping the story is even half as good/wild as Y0 then I'm happy.

El-Suave

I was determined to hold off on playing Kiwami despite buying it at launch because I know the story and have so many other unplayed games but it's starting to itch already and once I hold the steelbook I don't know if I'll be able to resist.

Jimrpg

Kiwami will be like 0.

There's a new story but its shorter (approx 15 hours), you'll only have one protagonist (Kiryu), you'll only get Kamurocho.

There's no property management in this game. You'll get a lot more side missions than the original Yakuza 1, but less than Yakuza 0 (now that there's no Majima to control).

You'll get mostly the same mini games save for a few arcade games (like Outrun) and the dancing mini game.

Most of these cuts are due to it being a remake of Yakuza 1, hence the reduced price, BUT its still a 15 hour main game with 50+ hours if you play the mini games and side content. For $30 its a no brainer.

1 week till Yakuza Kiwami!

I loved Yakuza 0 and am actually playing through the original Yakuza 1 currently (thankfully it's not that long compared to 0), so I hope I'll be done with that before Kiwami drops.

I'm still ashamed that I didn't check out this series way sooner.

I found the original version of Yakuza 1's story pretty poor, to be honest. OK for a B game from 2005, but not a patch on the storytelling of the later games. Nishiki has like five minutes of screentime in the whole game, and so much stuff is undercooked or just comes out of nowhere. One of the reasons I'm so excited for Kiwami is to see the new scenes they've added to flesh things out better.

0 > 2 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1. Fite me irl.

Rymuth

People really need to stop pretending Dead Souls never existed. Yes, the gameplay is Garbo but the storybeats are some of the best Yakuza has ever had.

From Daigo dressing up like a girl in order to attract Zombies, to Kiryu admitting that Majima turning into a Super Zombie would be the worst thing ever. It's packed from end-to-end with pure craziness.

Plus, it has Ryuji Gohda singing Pure Love Kamurocho.

Uncharted coming tomorrow. Meaning today I finish Hellbalde.

Kiwami next week...

Everything will be fine...

*warframe, world of warships, overwatch and all the other PC game looking at me hey come and play*

everything will be fine

Kiwami will be like 0.

There's a new story but its shorter (approx 15 hours), you'll only have one protagonist (Kiryu), you'll only get Kamurocho.

There's no property management in this game. You'll get a lot more side missions than the original Yakuza 1, but less than Yakuza 0 (now that there's no Majima to control).

You'll get mostly the same mini games save for a few arcade games (like Outrun) and the dancing mini game.

Most of these cuts are due to it being a remake of Yakuza 1, hence the reduced price, BUT its still a 15 hour main game with 50+ hours if you play the mini games and side content. For $30 its a no brainer.

Yeah that sounds all great!
I'm actually up for a lighter Yakuza run after dropping like 78 hours into Y0.

Sad that there is no Cabaret management though, I was seriously obsessed with that.
I know it makes sense with no Majima.

Rymuth

Uncharted coming tomorrow. Meaning today I finish Hellbalde.

Kiwami next week...

Everything will be fine...

*warframe, world of warships, overwatch and all the other PC game looking at me hey come and play*

everything will be fine

I have a big backlog on PS4 and my 3DS backlog wants to literally come to life and choke me for putting it off for so long. Come release date, I'm saying natch to all that and just jump unto Kiwami's arms.

Jimrpg

People really need to stop pretending Dead Souls never existed. Yes, the gameplay is Garbo but the storybeats are some of the best Yakuza has ever had.

From Daigo dressing up like a girl in order to attract Zombies, to Kiryu admitting that Majima turning into a Super Zombie would be the worst thing ever. It's packed from end-to-end with pure craziness.

Plus, it has Ryuji Gohda singing Pure Love Kamurocho.

Time to actually find a copy somewhere - I bet they'll never rerelease it, so it could be worth something later on plus it only sold a very few copies, I remember them trying to get rid of it on ozgameshop for $20.

(I only have a digital copy).

I have a big backlog on PS4 and my 3DS backlog wants to literally come to life and choke me for putting it off for so long. Come release date, I'm saying natch to all that and just jump unto Kiwami's arms.

Well Y6 is coming out in another 6 months time so best be trying to keep up to date.

Menitta

Sweeeeet! Can't wait to play this game. I'm probably not gonna do as much stuff in this one since I did a bunch in 0, but it's definitely gonna be my main game for a while. Everyone should get this game! It's $30! It's free real estate!

I'm hoping I can get through Undertale, Uncharted LL and Jak and Daxter before this drops...I'm definitely diving in day one. I wanted to give Zero a try but the game is still pretty much full price. Would be willing to bite on that at around $30 so Kiwami is a nice compromise.

the arcade games from 0 are in, there wasn't anything like that in the original release. there's also this thing where majima is super goofy because people like that stuff

That's not correct. The arcade games from 0 are completely left out from Kiwami. They put the arcade games back in for 6.

The only arcade game you get for Kiwami (not counting the crane game) is the rock/paper/scissors game that is basically recycled from the Cat Fighting mini game in 0. The AI is completely nerfed though so its almost impossible to lose the game now.

That's really the only new mini game in Kiwami. Everything else is just recycled from 0, but stuff like the phone dating mini game is out, but real hostess clubs are back (to those that are new to the series - its basically having conversations with girls where you pick certain options - picking the right one fills their happiness bar up a bit. Basically the same as the one to one training sessions Majima had in his hostess management content for 0).

Top Bottom