• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

NEW RUMOR (get your salt-shakers ready): Supposedly Metroid Prime 4 is headed to the Wii U and 3D and the idea for dual-release was inspired by Sakurai's decision to release Smash Bros. 4 on both Wii U and 3DS. Again, take with a grain of salt.

source of the rumor?

Hiltz

I don't believe that Metroid Prime 4 rumor. I think Retro Studios has done all it set out to do across the span of 3 games. I would not be opposed to a 4th title or even a new take on Metroid, but it seems more likely that Retro would do a sequel to DKCR especially when it sold so well.

brainpann

NEW RUMOR (get your salt-shakers ready): Supposedly Metroid Prime 4 is headed to the Wii U and 3D and the idea for dual-release was inspired by Sakurai's decision to release Smash Bros. 4 on both Wii U and 3DS. Again, take with a grain of salt.

Don't do this too me. I can't handle it!!!!!

Actually, I am hoping the next installment in the series is third person. It would be so rad-ass.

Spinluck

jonny_boi said:
miiverse-4.png

The potential to troll is astonishing.

RAWi

So... there's no [Starfox x Metroid: Fusion Saga] for both Wii U and 3DS? D:

How do you guys think that Miis will evolve with the Wii U? I'm hoping that they are extremely customizable. Not just the face and hair but also the clothes, shoes and accessories. Maybe even certain games will reward you for certain achievement with specific Mii clothes. Ahhh that would be pure awesomeness! :-D

I suspect that the U Miis will benefit from character specific clothes, hats and accessories in a similar way that 3DS have had with hats from StreetPass Quest thingummybob.

For some reason the Japanese go mental for dressing up characters in different outfits, it's a real big thing over there.

I really like Miis, when I first got my launch day Wii console home I spent about half an hour messing about with Miis before I played Wii Sports lol. They certainly have a great deal more character than the PSN and Live ripoffs imo. Funnily enough I think it's down to the simplicity of them compared to the others, like not having arms for the most part.

Actually the whole review process is weird. For example, Crysis 2 on PC has better graphics than the console versions yet IGN gave them all the same score.

Shouldn't it be relative? Otherwise you'd have to score Wii games graphics compared to PS360 games, and etc.

I dunno, in that case some Wii games would have to score a "10" for graphics (since PS360 games do)...and I doubt any did. Anyways I digress.

RedSwirl

Maybe this question isn't meant for the Wii U thread specifically, but how hard would it be for Nintendo to unify the Virtual Console between Wii U and 3DS? I'm asking this on a technical level.

I've been told that each Virtual Console game has a whole emulator coded for it alone, as opposed to Nintendo coding general emulators for each platform. If this is true, then wouldn't unifying VC require them to re-code each individual VC game to work on the 3DS? If this is true then it would mean that the only reason the Wii U will probably retain the whole VC library is because of its Wii BC.

Still, if Nintendo could unify VC, it would be a massive boost to the 3DS's library, especially when so many people are talking about cheap downloadable games on other mobile devices.

RedSwirl

PS3 is weak. Anyway, how about Wii classics downloadable, it can't be too hard for Nintendo to put in a couple lines of code to get them Wii U compatible in HD.

I don't see any reason why that isn't even likely.

They already suggested that Gamecube will be added as a platform on Virtual Console, and that even Wii U games will be available digitally day-and-date with retail. Wii games sound like a no-brainer at that point. We just have to hope that the re-releases have been up-resed to HD. I think there's a good chance they will considering they're already re-releasing old classics on the 3DS in 3D.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Who's that from, Zelda Informer again?

EDIT: JESUS FUCK, IT IS! GOD DAMN IT!

EDIT2: No wait, it links to another random website.

I really want Super Mario Galaxy 2 in HD, retail.

The game seems to be the magnum opus of the Wii and 3D platformers in general, I'm finally getting back to the original after ages, I wasn't hooked like I was with Sunshine and 3D Land, but it's finally growing on me. :)

SMG2 looks much better, and has Yoshi to boot. :D

This game could truly shine on Wii U in 720p/1080p with AA. They should release it alongside NSMBU, and for really cheap (like $30-$40, depending on the price of the games if they go HD tax on us).

Should take EAD Tokyo no time flat. The game should work on the pad, does Yoshi's tongue require the pointer? They can work it like Sunshine and just home-in on the nearest target.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Lol...no way this happens.

I don't believe that Metroid Prime 4 rumor. I think Retro Studios has done all it set out to do across the span of 3 games. I would not be opposed to a 4th title or even a new take on Metroid, but it seems more likely that Retro would do a sequel to DKCR especially when it sold so well.

but the third game clearly ended on a cliffhanger

AntMurda

Wasn't it sorta confirmed that they were doing something different? Was it even official that they said they weren't doing a DK game?

The Metroid Prime games reached their consumer ceiling a long time ago. The odds are that Nintendo has Retro Studios developing something else. Most likely an FPS in the same spirit, with a new theme different than Metroid.

Oersted

Apparently they were inspired by Nintendo having Sakurai and his team do Smash Bros on Wii U and 3DS, because now Retro is doing their own Metroid Wii U/3DS game. Production or concepts of the game started in 2010 after Donkey Kong Country was completed for the Wii.

the bogus is strong in this one. for very obvious reasons

Blades64

Banned

Quick! Someone make a new thread!

pls don't...

Shokio

Neo Member
I'm confident that Retro is working on a new IP. Most rumors I've seen from people supposedly with connections in the industry said that Retro's game is geared more toward the Xbox/PS3 crowd, and that description doesn't fit any of Nintendo's franchises really.

My hunch is that it's a 3rd person game. Shooter, I doubt it (though it may have shooting mechanics) but I'm guessing it's third-person adventure.

I'm confident that Retro is working on a new IP. Most rumors I've seen from people supposedly with connections in the industry said that Retro's game is geared more toward the Xbox/PS3 crowd, and that description doesn't fit any of Nintendo's franchises really.

My hunch is that it's a 3rd person game. Shooter, I doubt it (though it may have shooting mechanics) but I'm guessing it's third-person adventure.

Actually that came from one person and that was the one I just mentioned.

Kacho

Has it been said what Nintendo is doing to Ninja Gaiden 3 to make it better? I'm really curious about the game since I didn't play it on the PS3 and 360, but I seem to hear nothing but negative things.

maeda

Why would retro do something they were never proficient at? Shooting mechanics were never their strong suit! making a straight-up shooter would be such a waste of their talent!

Has it been said what Nintendo is doing to Ninja Gaiden 3 to make it better? I'm really curious about the game since I didn't play it on the PS3 and 360, but I seem to hear nothing but negative things.

To me it sounds like Tecmo used trial and error with the PS360 version compared to the Wii U version. But some makes the PS360 version sound so bad, I wonder how much these corrections will help.

Oersted

image.php

is this really you?

Oersted

some links i found. there are probably more stories on this

If Retro is doing an FPS its a waste of their talents

In what way? So far all we know of their talents are their ability to make first-person adventure games with great shooting mechanics using Wii controls, and side-scrolling platformers. And I guess we know they are skilled at making games that Nintendo doesn't think are worth shipping, since Retro has made a number of those :)

To me it sounds like Tecmo used trial and error with the PS360 version compared to the Wii U version. But some makes the PS360 version sound so bad, I wonder how much these corrections will help.

I never played NG 3 myself, but from watching the video reviews/gameplay videos it really seemed like a repetitive game with not a lot of extras to unlock or nearly as many moves as the previous games. Not to mention cut out dismemberment......

So for the Wii U version it's looking like they might have fixed a lot of that stuff from what I've heard/read:

-Dismemberment put back in
-More moves to unlock including more Ninpo specials
-More weapons to unlock
-Increased difficulty/more advanced enemy artificial intelligence
-More enemy types to fight against

It sounds like a return to previous Ninja Gaiden games......which is a good thing right?

BD1

Banned
Let's say, hypothetically, Ninja Gaiden 3 overcomes its apparently major flaws and transforms into a good game as the Razor's Edge edition. Team Ninja and Nintendo have basically acknowledged the original NG3 release is garbage, and are not just porting the game, but trying to improve it.

Has there ever been a game that was universally panned, but came back for redemption on a new console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom