• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

I'm on chapter
, and the game is absolutely fantastic. I can only complain, like many others, about ground controls. Almost 10 hours in, and I still don't feel completely comfortable with them. In any case, the amazingly spectacular flight levels, the gorgeous scenarios, the hilarious dialogues between characters (Nintendo's best script since... ever?), the sheer amount of bonus... pure awesomeness.

Is it possible to fuse every combination, though? I know some combos simply show a question mark and won't let me combine them.

I've thought about this and I believe that the ones you can't fuse are weapons you haven't unlocked yet! A lot of the weapons in the big list are spoilers, named after characters or bosses you may not have met yet in your game.

For example, many weapon types have an "
Aurum
" version, and I don't even know what that means yet. I'm not to that point yet in my own game.

I'm guessing that once you've played through the whole game you will be able to fuse anything with anything. Perhaps you will have to find all the hidden zodiac weapons too to make them fusable...if you want a hint,
there's one in every even numbered chapter, except there isn't one in 22, it's in 23 instead. According to the internet, anyway.

Just played two hours of Online matches with a friend and 4 bots and was AMAZED that the name of one of the bots is actually "Captain N".
I freaked out. I'm serious.

EDIT: Oh and I am one of those who beat Chapter 1 in under 4 minutes. Just play on intensity 2.0 or lower, get your strongest weapon and rush through the city, not killing anything unless it's totally in your way. Also skip all the cutscenes with Start/Select. Kill the doggie in a few charged shots or something and get your Achievement (I just keep on calling the treasure hunt squares "Achievements", because that's what they are).

Bullza2o

I've thought about this and I believe that the ones you can't fuse are weapons you haven't unlocked yet! A lot of the weapons in the big list are spoilers, named after characters or bosses you may not have met yet in your game.

For example, many weapon types have an "
Aurum
" version, and I don't even know what that means yet. I'm not to that point yet in my own game.

I'm guessing that once you've played through the whole game you will be able to fuse anything with anything. Perhaps you will have to find all the hidden zodiac weapons too to make them fusable...if you want a hint,
there's one in every even numbered chapter, except there isn't one in 22, it's in 23 instead.

Whoa really? That just made this game even better! Im still in chapter 5 though trying to get gold in everything and at a high intensity. Taking my sweet time in this awesome game.

What's the general consensus friends? Good times with this one?

Best Buy has a Trade 1 to get it free, and a bunch of the holiday titles are valid. Figure it wouldn't be bad to get $45 in credit for games gathering dust on my shelf like Skyward Sword or UC3.

What deal is this? Is it in an ad or something?

Korosenai

Just played two hours of Online matches with a friend and 4 bots and was AMAZED that the name of one of the bots is actually "Captain N".

EDIT: Oh and I am one of those who beat Chapter 1 in under 4 minutes. Just play on intensity 2.0 or lower, get your strongest weapon and rush through the city, not killing anything unless it's totally in your way. Also skip all the cutscenes with Start/Select. Kill the doggie in a few charged shots or something and get your Achievement (I just keep on calling the treasure hunt squares "Achievements", because that's what they are).

I'm about to try it on 0.0 lol

I also added everyone on the google doc.

Neiteio

I think in one of the trailers there was a bot named "King Hippo," which would continue the injokes to the Captain N cartoon show. :)

Oh and I am one of those who beat Chapter 1 in under 4 minutes. Just play on intensity 2.0 or lower, get your strongest weapon and rush through the city, not killing anything unless it's totally in your way. Also skip all the cutscenes with Start/Select. Kill the doggie in a few charged shots or something and get your Achievement (I just keep on calling the treasure hunt squares "Achievements", because that's what they are).
What's the prize you get for beating a chapter the fast? I'm most interested in unlocking idols and music.

Shit got really REAL and then

"You've been through a lot, and you probably want to save your game"

LOL

THIS GAME...

seriously for all the 4 wall breaking gags this game is darker than Zelda

bitoriginal

This game is an instant classic

I've had no desire to post in this thread since the game launched, because why would I be on the Internet when I could be blasting away at treacherous enemy forces?

Anything I could possibly say will just echo dozens of other sentiments in this thread, but who cares. This game deserves the lavish praise. I've already logged 18 hours into it, and it is #1 on my Activity Log in the average time played category (an hour and forty minutes per session!)

This game fires on every single cylinder. Excellent graphics, wonderful use of 3D, AMAZING music, engaging and delightful story, hundreds of ways to customize your play experience (through weapons and intensity levels), an obscene amount of unlockable content, a crazy fun multiplayer mode, and everything in between. Even the controls become both excellent and necessary when playing later levels at higher intensity levels. Will your hand cramp at times? It sure will! But is it worth the pain? Oh god, yes. Yes it is.

This game is the unholy spawn of StarFox 64, flawless mastery of gameplay design, Sin & Punishment, OCD exploitation, and probably a mixture of cocaine and LSD.

I'm really struggling to find even a single notable flaw in this game. Every chapter has been excellent so far, to the point where I'm only at chapter
because I keep going back and replaying old chapters at higher intensities. It's all about good loot drops for ingredients to fuse badass weapons!

Also, I might add, every single boss battle has been awesome. Did all of you without the game read that? EVERY. SINGLE. BOSS BATTLE. For a game with a boss at the end of EVERY level, that is a near impossible feat to pull off. But every boss has such a fun and fleshed out personality, reflected in their fighting style, that it is always satisfying to see what you are going up against and even more satisfying to ultimately take it down.

I just want to run away and change my name and live out the rest of my days mastering Kid Icarus: Uprising. It is really that good.

Good post. Ordered it online yesterday as it appears to be impossible to track down in retail stores where I am (UK). You're making me excited.

daakusedo

The game is getting hard, the last two levels i did were full of strong foes and long air battle with beams everywhere.Yeah, I know like all the game but here even more.
Don't help that I had a balloon orb with low range.
That was the
futuristic
level and the one before trying on 7.

pramath

Banned
I still haven't got the game :(
Guys, I have a question: how many save files does Uprising allow? Does it save on the SD Card or does it save on the cartridge itself?

Poyunch

Ah, thanks. I wondered about the jump power, but given the extremely controlled nature of jumping with the jump pads in this game, I never bothered adding it to my active powers list because I assumed it was just a straight up/straight down type of deal, and didn't really see the purpose in using it.

You don't actually need the jump power. Very early on there is a hidden cave. There is a ball inside that you hit and roll down. Which closes the gap.

I finished it last night. I still don't like the ground controls at all. I can use them just fine, but they're a real pain to use, especially when you get to later levels and difficulties and really have to spin around a lot.

Aside from the ground controls, I think the game is fantastic. I just loved the characters, story, and dialogue. It just felt like Sakurai wasn't sure he'd ever get to make another Kid Icarus, so he packed in about 3 games worth of story into this one. This really has something for all old fans of the NES and GB games. I really feel like this game has a lot of respect and admiration for the originals and carries the spirit of those games, even if it doesn't play a whole lot like them.

My favorite part of the game was definitely the flying sections. I thought they worked very well, even with the limited control setup on the 3DS. I would love to see them make a Wii or Wii U game with nothing but flying.
I was very disappointed to see Pittoo lose his flying powers near the end of the game. He could have had his own game with nothing but flying (and making fun of Pit and Palutena) and it would have been awesome. I was also sad to see that Pit didn't get permanent flying at the end either.
I guess Sakurai really just wanted to make a third person game with meleee and shooting and his "smash" mechanic more than a Kid Icarus themed on-rails shooter, which is what I wanted.

So I finished the main story of this game yesterday and have been gathering my thoughts on it and such, well here goes.

This game feels like such a breath of fresh air and it does this for me by virtue of being a straight up game....sounds crazy right? well to elaborate everything about Kid Icarus to me feels like Sakurai and co just wanted to go out there and create a memorable experience filled to the brim with content, it feels like it has everything from a solid length story mode, manic yet fun multiplayer, tons of side content like the challenges, weapons and idols, great music with a composer lineup to boast about, use of the 3DS features right down to streetpass, playcoins and AR. And then there's the customization so that you can get your own preferences in check from controls to the type of weapon and abilities that suit you. Basically everything but the kitchen sink applies here, actually Sakurai probably manages to take the sink as well.

Now when I say it feels like a true game, I mean that in the sense that it fully embraces that fact, oh sure there's the fourth wall breaking jokes for one but it's all the little things such as that arcade like feeling gained from the way shooting is handled (really it feels refreshing to do third person shooting where there are no chest high walls and regenerating health, dodging for your life is where it's at though i'm more of a melee man anyway), having a scoring system in place and the re playable aspect in general helped onwards by the intensity system for both the varying difficulty levels and the occasional intensity gate. Sometimes it feels that in this current generation a lot of emphasis is placed on trying to remove the game feeling from a game in the pursuit of a more cinematic experience or something, I very much enjoy how Kid Icarus just comes across as being a good old fashioned video game (no doubt this all sounded like nonsense, i'm having trouble figuring out how to explain it) and it even has time for a story as well.
Death is handled well with generous checkpoints yet you still have the bitter taste of defeat from the dropped intensity which effects your earnings and possibly your pride when you realize you couldn't meet your own wager or the games recommended wager. Boss battles are always a treat that left me relishing the end of stage encounters, screw anyone who says bosses are a relic of the past! well i'm sure there are some out there who say that at least.
What's also great is that the game has a story focus that never feels intrusive, cutscenes don't overstay their welcome with most of the talking taking place as you play with the added bonus of enjoyable banter from friend and foe alike, it's enough to keep you motivated to see what happens next and I never got tired of new characters turning up since I enjoyed pretty much every character that turned up.

Really the only negative I can think of here is the whole control issue, I adapted pretty quickly but others haven't been so lucky or aren't too enthused with adapting to the initially unwieldy control scheme, I sort of understand, I never got to grips with MGS Peace walker on the PSP for example and it took me time to adjust to Monster Hunter on the same platform. But even then there's positives to the controls, the whole spinning a globe aspect for the camera became some sort of joy in itself, the dodge mechanic can feel a bit off at times though and occasionally throws the camera into a frenzy when near walls in particular, hopefully I'm just getting the timing wrong since a few failed dodges can be fatal in later stages.

Really a summary of this could be THIS GAME! but I felt as if I had to go beyond that, Kid Icarus is a game that meets a lot of the bullet points people were spouting in that thread based around Nintendo's magic, well here is the fresh take on a long absent Nintendo franchise complete with a story, with multiplayer both local and online, a potential system seller and would you look at that there isn't a plumber in sight! Now hopefully people will put their money where their mouth is, I can't say that this game is for everyone, no game truly is but it deserves success.

Neiteio

A flying-only sequel? Fuck that noise. The ground combat is fantastic. I love systematically purging each area, dashing headlong into the fray all aggro-like.

What's nice for you pro-flight people, though, is the flight section is always at the start of each level (
well, almost always
). So it's easy enough to drop in and drop out. I personally wish there was a way to jump straight to the ground portions; I love both flight and ground, but sometimes I just feel like running around dodging suckers while exploring dungeons. :)

sfried

You can adjust sensitivity on analog controls to much faster speeds than whats seen in ki:u

Wait, im confused. You prefer this scheme over dual analog because it offers better precision yet you're recommending auto assist?

What am I missing here?
Yep, you obviously never fully investigated the Option menu. You can adjust reticule speed and inertia and have the cursor spin much, much faster than an analog stick setup.

WallJump

Banned
A flying-only sequel? Fuck that noise. The ground combat is fantastic. I love systematically purging each area, dashing headlong into the fray all aggro-like.

What's nice for you pro-flight people, though, is the flight section is always at the start of each level (
well, almost always
). So it's easy enough to drop in and drop out. I personally wish there was a way to jump straight to the ground portions; I love both flight and ground, but sometimes I just feel like running around dodging suckers while exploring dungeons. :)

Thankfully for us ground battle fanatics the flight sections seem to be pretty short compared to the ground sections. I think the balance is perfect.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My favorite part of the game was definitely the flying sections. I thought they worked very well, even with the limited control setup on the 3DS. I would love to see them make a Wii or Wii U game with nothing but flying.
It's called Sin and Punishment: Star Successor aka why the fuck haven't you bought it yet

Hale-XF11

I found that playing a good amount of MP really helped to improve my ground control capabilities a lot. Now I feel like a near-master at the controls. I highly recommend using MP just to practice kicking ass on the ground.

KevinCow

Banned
I never did beat Sin & Punishment 2. I think got most of the way through on normal, then I hit a brick wall, and I didn't feel like replaying the whole game on easy.

BooJoh

This question isn't really specific to Kid Icarus, but since Kid Icarus has brought it to my mind again I might as well ask here.

Is there some secret to using AR cards? With games that use the standard ? AR card I get shoddy and jumpy performance, and moving around causes me to lose the card. In Kid Icarus I literally can't read the cards indoors. The only way I can get AR cards to read reliably is to go outside, at which point I can't see the screen because of the sunlight.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fluorescent lights I have in my house being dimmer for the 3DS's terrible cameras, but I'm honestly at a loss. Am I supposed to set up a bright desk lamp just for AR games?

I never did beat Sin & Punishment 2. I think got most of the way through on normal, then I hit a brick wall, and I didn't feel like replaying the whole game on easy.

I had to get a friend to fulfil the role of player 2 assistant for help against the final boss, I barely scraped by, i'm now tempted to play it again but don't know if I can handle another so called "normal" run through.
The idea of hard mode chills me to the bone. Maybe easy mode with the female character.

Poyunch

So what dose offering up hearts do? I expect there's some sort of portrait panels connected to it.

This question isn't really specific to Kid Icarus, but since Kid Icarus has brought it to my mind again I might as well ask here.

Is there some secret to using AR cards? With games that use the standard ? AR card I get shoddy and jumpy performance, and moving around causes me to lose the card. In Kid Icarus I literally can't read the cards indoors. The only way I can get AR cards to read reliably is to go outside, at which point I can't see the screen because of the sunlight.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fluorescent lights I have in my house being dimmer for the 3DS's terrible cameras, but I'm honestly at a loss. Am I supposed to set up a bright desk lamp just for AR games?

Yeah it's all about good lighting. Point it in the direction of the card and the 3DS camera. It has a light sensor.

bitoriginal

THIS GAME IS TOO FUCKING HARD ON 8-9!!! ARRGGH

image.php

Busaiku

Does Double Item only work for items you pick up, or would the set powers work as well?
Like Health Recovery would restore 2x as much and whatnot.

Chunky

Just chucked my name on the doc, add me if you want to get creamed online...

:lol
Anyway, has anyone got a favourite track yet? Mine's got to be the music that starts playing during the Chapter 4 flying section, when you're going through the ravine and the guitar starts wailing. Magic.

backlot

Anyone else think that offering hearts to the goddess might actually just do nothing?
Late game spoilers:
I offered a bunch of hearts to Viridi while Palutena was gone but as soon as Palutena got back my counter was 0 again. If offering does actually do something then whatever offering to Viridi does would appear to be completely missable.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just wow.

Chapter
was great with the
Fake-Out
, but the next two chapters were both OMG amazing. Chapter
specifically made me want a Wii-U perspective from the Humans/Magnus in this Kid Icarus world.

THIS GAME..... just might be my GOTY so far. SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!! As for the controls,
I can almost feel the controller in my hands now!
lol. :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Same happened to me.

Kid Icarus is the best shooter I played since...

I'd say last time I felt in love so much with a game in this genre was with Thunderforce 3.

KI is a game with an arcade, retro feeling, while being a next gen experience with outstanding 3D graphics and scenery, supported by new/fresh controls, lots of humor and out of this world replay value.

It has classic/cult written all over it. It makes me love videogames more than any title released in ages.

Neiteio

Dashing sideways and unleashing a charge shot on Belunka (the whale-like troop transport enemy) and watching him crash and burn is so damn satisfying. Aim for his open mouth and he goes down quick.

SykoTech

Really happy to see so much praise for this game. This game's reveal was probably my highlight of E3 2010, but everything shown afterwards has looked iffy. This thread renews my expectations quite a bit. Will be the first game I get once I get a 3DS.

Gartooth

I was wowed by this game. I noted concern about the controls earlier, but they aren't bad at all. (This is coming from a lefty)

Although I always play with the stand and haven't bothered playing without it, so that may make a difference. I managed to complete the single player a few hours ago, it was an incredibly satisfying experience from the most part.

Must say that this is one of the most creative and original title to come out of Nintendo in years, I was awed by the voice overs in particular.

I have yet to try the multiplayer, but just based on the single player alone it was well worth the money. I hope it isn't too long of a wait until a sequel, for me this is one of the best IP revivals in the games industry period.

ryushe

Sakurai is covering his ass from a business perspective so his game will sell. Did you expect him to say "i wish i had more to work with to help our controls?" there are vastly more frantic and faster games on the market than this. Hell no one complains about any game that requires fast reflexes using joysticks.

No, it is still a hardware problem.

When i point my wiimote to the tv, i am not limited in space as i am with a, what, 5 inch touch screen where i have to continiously lift up my stylus, put back down, drag, lift again, etc.

You can adjust sensitivity on analog controls to much faster speeds than whats seen in ki:u

Wait, im confused. You prefer this scheme over dual analog because it offers better precision yet you're recommending auto assist?

What am I missing here?
A lot apparently.

That quick look was nauseating. Terrible watch.
I agree, but it's mostly because I usually dislike when Brad does QL's. His monotone voice always makes the most exciting game seem paint dryingly dull. That and he didn't know what they heck he was talking about for the majority of the video.

Anyone else think that offering hearts to the goddess might actually just do nothing?
Late game spoilers:
I offered a bunch of hearts to Viridi while Palutena was gone but as soon as Palutena got back my counter was 0 again. If offering does actually do something then whatever offering to Viridi does would appear to be completely missable.

I have to check records to see if they added both... but damn this game is crazy I loved that switch up

amazing game

WallJump

Banned
Anyone use Energy Charge as a power yet? I got a lv4 one somehow and used it in practice mode. Your strength slowly rises until after 20 seconds or so, when you go all mini-super-sayan and do something like 180% damage output until something hits you. I bet you could stand outside a mob, power up and wait for it to max out, then just rush in there and shoot/slice (yo dogg) most everything in there before you take a hit.

I'm dying to combo this with invisibility/invincibility/shot reflect of some sort and just wreck face. Problem is it takes up so much room on the grid I wouldn't have room for recovery :-(

Top Bottom