• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

SeanR1221

The fact that no one knew or cared about this shows just how little all this shit matters outside of petty console wars on either side. Always built up into the worst news ever when publicized, but if no one bothers to check, no one knows or cares at all.

Are we really back on resolution doesn't matter?

Is this actually true or are people just being facetious? Seems too funny to be real.
Oh it does actually seem to be true. 1408x792 vs apparently 960x1080

I expect a full mobilazation of enraged Xbox fans to laugh at all the ps fans after all the bashing they did to them
when I say Xbox fans I don't mean all of them, just Tim D and misterX
This proves misterx and insider were right all along!

DrkSage

I expect a full mobilazation of enraged Xbox fans to laugh at all the ps fans after all the bashing they did to them
when I say Xbox fans I don't mean all of them, just Tim D and misterX

Orca

People did notice. They were just mislead to believe it was 1080p. I was telling my cousin today about how after not playing KZ:MP for a few weeks I went back to it today and it looked shitty. Sure enough we find out what's really going on.

Despite the number of people saying they knew it doesn't seem to have ever become an issue in the MP thread.

This is definitely worse than the whole KZ2 E3 thing that got blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion. If I remember correctly, that was just some PR guy who dun goofed, and the whole thing was clarified as not being in-game footage shortly after. This is a lie directly from GG and from Sony. FOR SHAME.

bobot

Neo Member
I thought the mp looked great. :/

I dislike having truths omitted.

Note: I do sit 75m back from a 3" screen tho

VanWinkle

Oh it does actually seem to be true. 1408x792 vs apparently 960x1080

This proves misterx and insider were right all along!

You mixed something that you were being truthful about with a random line that you are obviously joking about. It makes it hard to understand what point you're trying to make.

Resolution is important to people, but it's not the ONLY important factor. Although I'm obviously disappointed in KZ's resolution, it's still vastly more graphically impressive game than Titanfall. So I don't know why you brought Titanfall into the discussion? Perhaps an anecdote you found to be funny, but it doesn't hold weight (since people primarily made fun of Titanfall's resolution because of how unimpressive the graphics were).

I have a couple of questions, when did resolution become a such a big deal? Did anyone really expect $400-500 consoles to output 1080p/60fps on a consistent basis give the specs of the consoles?

If we didn't expect 1080p then why the fuck did we even upgrade from PS360?

StevieP

Banned
Resolution has been a big deal for a long time, but it's relative to the generations. Last gen it was important to have 720p, and games were often scolded when they weren't. This gen, 1080p is important. I 100% expected all for the vast majority of games of this gen would be 1080p and it came as a bit of a shock when games were revealed, primary on XB1, to be under that. It was disappointing, as I thought it was a natural progression.

Resolutions aren't going to get higher for showpiece games as the generation goes on, they will do as they did in the previous generation where developers have to make even more concessions for the extra shiny. Though the spin in this thread is pretty intense, at the end of the day you shouldn't expect any sort of vast majority of showpiece titles to run at your tv's native resolution as the generation goes on. Otherwise there will be more disappointments similar to the one you experienced in this thread IMO.

BradC00

No matter how you cut it, Sony lied and I bought the game, no wonder the MP looks weird compared to the SP

i bought it because I was expecting to be blown away by the graphics
dat next gen feel
. I jumped straight into MP because there was a thread on GAF about how good it was,
it's not.
saw some serious jaggies on a staircase. i mean i expect the visuals to be slightly less in MP because of the unpredictability of it, but damn, it's bad and now i know why. haven't touched it since but I do plan on going back to play SP.

Scaled to 1080p?

Probably worse. A lot worse.

I wonder if they went 900p like BF how it would have look since that way seem much easier .
The tech interesting but maybe normal upscalling would have been best .

Resolutions aren't going to get higher for showpiece games as the generation goes on, they will do as they did in the previous generation where developers have to make even more concessions for the extra shiny. Though the spin in this thread is pretty intense, at the end of the day you shouldn't expect any sort of vast majority of showpiece titles to run at your tv's native resolution as the generation goes on. Otherwise there will be more disappointments similar to the one you experienced in this thread IMO.

I won't say that , res will stay the same for most showpiece games if anything the frame rate is what going to get hurt because of it .

VanWinkle

I don't think that's true. There were PLENTY, PLENTY of 720p native PS3 games even near the end of it's lifecycle. Just as there were sub-native PS3 games near the beginning.

Didn't expect to get jumped on by so many people for answering a little question. Sheesh.

resolution and pixel counting matters now ;)
wat, I don't think I implied that at all either.
quite the opposite, if anything.
killzone is still the best looking next gen title out there, IMO. multiplayer included, despite whatever resolution differences.

You mixed something that you were being truthful about with a random line that you are obviously joking about. It makes it hard to understand what point you're trying to make.

Resolution is important to people, but it's not the ONLY important factor. Although I'm obviously disappointed in KZ's resolution, it's stilla vastly more graphically impressive game than Titanfall.
Not trying to make any point. Was simply answering a question made in my direction.

darkwing

dat next gen feel
. I jumped straight into MP because there was a thread on GAF about how good it was,
it's not.
saw some serious jaggies on a staircase. i mean i expect the visuals to be slightly less in MP because of the unpredictability of it, but damn, it's bad and now i know why. haven't touched it since but I do plan on going back to play SP.

Same here, went straight to MP, thought it was ok graphically, but when I tried the SP I thought it was weird it was so much better

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is actually the only game from Sony first party that's been below the typical target res in a long, long time. I don't think any first party games were below 720p last gen.

VanWinkle

Didn't expect to get jumped on by so many people for answering a little question. Sheesh.

wat, I don't think I implied that at all either.
quite the opposite, if anything.
killzone is still the best looking next gen title out there, IMO. multiplayer included, despite whatever resolution differences.

Not trying to make any point. Was simply answering a question made in my direction.

Sorry for the confusion, I was kind of counting your earlier post in my remark as well.

PaulloDEC

I've not played a massive amount of KZ:SF multiplayer, but I certainly never noticed anything awry on the occasions when I did.

If I can't tell, I'm fine with it.

Capella

If we didn't expect 1080p then why the fuck did we even upgrade from PS360?

Better graphics, bigger worlds, and all of the other things that come with it. 1080p is great but I wouldn't be surprised if later down the line we start seeing more games at 900p.

Melchiah

I wonder where this idea comes from, the 3rd parties perhaps? To my knowledge all the late 1st/2nd party games on the PS3 ran at native 720p, with the exception of Resistance 3.

xkramz

I think GG should respond to this, they basically lied, at least Respawn was upfront with TF
I guess. But Respawn are going around the final build resolution.. they already debunked 1080p..and they said alpha was 720p... While the beta was 792p.. so maybe the final build would be an odd. 792-900p?

dat next gen feel
it's not.
compared to what?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Better graphics, bigger worlds, and all of the other things that come with it. 1080p is great but I wouldn't be surprised if later down the line we start seeing more games at 900p.

I hope we get 1080p for 30fps games and 900p for 60fps games. It seems realistic enough to expect.

StevieP

Banned
I don't think that's true. There were PLENTY, PLENTY of 720p native PS3 games even near the end of it's lifecycle. Just as there were sub-native PS3 games near the beginning.

There were sub 720 at the beginning of the generation and there were plenty toward the end as well on both HD consoles. Strange resolutions and all.

This is actually the only game from Sony first party that's been below the typical target res in a long, long time. I don't think any first party games were below 720p last gen.

I don't think you should expect all first party games to be full 1080p on the ps4 throughout the generation in my opinion nor third party obviously (edit: and it goes for all consoles).. But that's just me

alterno69

Banned
I don't know about resolution but i couldn't stand the fluctuaring framerate, i tried the multi for like 40 minutes and never looked back. Maybe no one noticed cause no one played the multiplayer lol, i remember there were like 500 players online the last time i played.

Havel

There are definitely ghosting artifacts.

4TUC2s5.png

Hmmm, also check out the textures in the distance on the floor on the moving picture compared to the stationary one. It might be motion blur, but they definitely more blurred.

I thought I'd repost my explanation of the resolution since it has gotten kinda buried.
Some people seem to be a little confused at the resolution thinking that it upscales from 960x1080 to 1920x1080 like you would upscale a sub 1080p game to 1080p, it doesn't. I made some images to help.

Okay, so let's say the red lines are what is being updated while the black lines are empty space.
Pxyb06u.png

Now this is what it looks like on frame 1
On frame 2 this is what it looks like
BotLCAH.png

And when frame 2 comes it it blurs the information from frame 1 to fill in the black spaces. This is why it looks fine when standing still but looks blurry and odd in motion. If we could take a single frame of KZSF's multiplayer with this effect turned off it would look something like this.
Zoom in to see the full effect.
The grey lines are dead space where nothing is being rendered on this frame.

So techinically the game is rendering at 1920x1080, just not on each frame.

There are four words you're going to hear a lot of when to PS4 and together, they change the game.

better graphics
bigger worlds

Give me 960x1080 or give me death.

beast786

To be fair this game sp doers run at 1080p. It's the mp at question.

Top Bottom