• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...ll-campaign-hands-on-new-multiplayer-footage/

Then there’s the competitive multiplayer mode which, like the game’s campaign, runs at native 1080p and 60 fps. Supporting up to 24 players across a variety of play modes, Shadow Fall’s multiplayer combat feels more agile and responsive than its predecessor thanks to DualShock 4′s many refinements and, well, dat framerate.

This is Sony's own blog. What an interesting start of a new generation. Frankly I don't care one way or another because the game looks very good visually but it will be interesting if the same culprits that attacked XBox One titles for not being native 1080p do the same here.

minx

The fact that no one knew or cared about this shows just how little all this shit matters outside of petty console wars on either side. Always built up into the worst news ever when publicized, but if no one bothers to check, no one knows or cares at all.

And we are done here.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Slight movement:]

There are definitely ghosting artifacts.

4TUC2s5.png

This just screams of last minute 60fps effort. It's like 4 months prior to going gold Yoshida demanded 60fps after seeing so many 60fps shooters at E3. Unfortunately you cannot tack on or optimize to 60fps on consoles. You have to design your game around it from the beginning. I honestly think that this is the reason for such a significant delay for Driveclub.

komplanen

The stupid thing is I always thought the MP looked blurry and that everyone knew it wasn't full 1080p. It's sort of weird that now it's revealed that they claimed it was 1080p

The fact that no one knew or cared about this shows just how little all this shit matters outside of petty console wars on either side. Always built up into the worst news ever when publicized, but if no one bothers to check, no one knows or cares at all.

People did notice. They were just mislead to believe it was 1080p. I was telling my cousin today about how after not playing KZ:MP for a few weeks I went back to it today and it looked shitty. Sure enough we find out what's really going on.

This is pretty interesting really, so are they using a 1080i buffer and interpolating between frames to create a 1080p output? reminds me a lot of the experimentation Lucas Arts were doing with frame interpolation to turn locked 30fps in to 60fps (Similar to what TV's do but if you do it engine-side it actually reduces input lag and has less artifacts).

The whole lied to/misled part is a shame and will I guess end up the focus of this thread, but I haven't heard of many people exploring temporal resolution stuff before, this seems like it could produce a higher quality image than a typical upscale although I guess it would always be subject to potential artifacts.

I am not particularly a tech guy but I have been fascinated by interpolation methods for a while now, never really thought about how you could use them this way.
I would be very interested to see what something like this would look like in a game running at 120fps.

SparkTR

And all these miniscule resolution differences won't mean much when the mighty 4K gets here.
Or at least 1440p

GHG

This just screams of last minute 60fps effort. It's like 4 months prior to going gold Yoshida demanded 60fps after seeing so many 60fps shooters at E3. Unfortunately you cannot tack on or optimize to 60fps on consoles. You have to design your game around it from the beginning. I honestly think that this is the reason for such a significant delay for Driveclub.

There's nothing last minute about this. If it were that easy to pull off a lot more devs would be doing it rather than upscaling.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Some people seem to be a little confused at the resolution thinking that it upscales from 960x1080 to 1920x1080 like you would upscale a sub 1080p game to 1080p, it doesn't. I made some images to help.

Okay, so let's say the red lines are what is being updated while the black lines are empty space.
Pxyb06u.png

Now this is what it looks like on frame 1
On frame 2 this is what it looks like
BotLCAH.png

And when frame 2 comes it it blurs the information from frame 1 to fill in the black spaces. This is why it looks fine when standing still but looks blurry and odd in motion. If we could take a single frame of KZSF's multiplayer with this effect turned off it would look something like this.
Zoom in to see the full effect.

The grey lines are dead space where nothing is being rendered on this frame.

So techinically the game is rendering at 1920x1080, just not on each frame.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like how TV stations broadcast stuff in 1080i over the air due to lack of bandwidth?

HTupolev

I would be very interested to see what something like this would look like in a game running at 120fps.
A lot better, just like how 60fps sixth-gen games look way cleaner in motion on SD CRTs than 30fps games.

I actually always wondered why they never tried to do 240fps interlaced on PC CRTs back in the day. Seems like it might actually produce neat results for some games, especially racers.

That's a bizarre decision and method. I definitely noticed things looked different in mp, though I couldn't have explained why. That said, I think the mp is awful, so I never spent much time with it, which might be why I never noticed some of the things folks are pointing out. I really wish we could just get the resolution and framerate published openly for console titles. It isn't as though they don't know.

Nobody noticed, well played Guerilla.

After playing Titanfall MP (and of course BF4) I was honestly going to make a post about how I appreciate the graphic design of those games because to me they were noticeably more visiable and clear compared to KZ MP. Which is strange because KZ SP is the best looking thing on consoles right now.

I figured it was the art style or blur or something but this totally makes sense.

Actually, extending this to last gen, I never liked KZs visuals on the MP component, it feels clumsy and unpolished. Like I said it works really well in SP but it doesn't transfer well to MP. Not sure what their alternatives are tbh because the MP is still kickass so its not like I want them to abandon it just because of visuals. It just makes me appreciate other games.

McFadge

I remember there was a shot floating around pre-release that had very clear interlacing, but I can't find it now. Didn't know what I was looking at at the time. From memory, it looked like it had been taken in the Forest level while the player was sprinting. The scope of the gun was noticeably interlaced.

VanWinkle

How does the BF4 game run better with bigger maps and bigger player count

Maybe GG didn't use the secret sauce

Why do you keep coming in here and making these random little thoughts but not responding to anybody? Please know that you across as a troll. I'm not saying you are, but that is certainly the impression you're making.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They could be have a lawsuit on their hands for lying. I remember Bungie getting sued for claiming Halo 3 was HD.
How rare do you think lawyers that know the difference between 1080i and 1080p are? And then how many have a firm grasp of 1080π? This would be the most hilarious lawsuit ever.

yuraya

Did GG seriously lie about the mp being native 1080p? That is a very shitty thing to do. Especially considering this was a launch title for a brand new gaming console. People went out of their way to spend a lot of money to play this game and they were being lied to all this time. smh

NBtoaster

Standing still:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31/1500855_10153578265015626_817983636_o.jpg[IMG]

Slight movement:

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t31/1009549_10153578265815626_1616101418_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Compression is horrible, but the result seems mixed. There's the occasional double pixel width edge, some weird pixel popping edges, some edges that are smeared over, and some that look normal.

Chobel

Why do you keep coming in here and making these random little thoughts but not responding to anybody? Please know that you across as a troll. I'm not saying you are, but that is certainly the impression you're making.

He's being sarcastic.

Interesting. I'm not a fan of competitive multiplayer, so I only tried the botzone briefly, set to 1-on-1, to see what some of the maps look like. I really didn't notice any blurring while moving slowly, and looking at the surroundings. Was this rendering method used on the botzone?

And we are done here.
Reading comprehension isn't the strong point of quite a few posters here it seems...

Anyway, this is not ideal at all. Wonder why people are throwing 1080i around as a joke. Shouldn't it be 1920i x 1080p?

KumaJG

I have a couple of questions, when did resolution become a such a big deal? Did anyone really expect $400-500 consoles to output 1080p/60fps on a consistent basis give the specs of the consoles?

Loudninja

I have a couple of questions, when did resolution become a such a big deal? Did anyone really expect $400-500 consoles to output 1080p/60fps on a consistent basis give the specs of the consoles?
Come on man it always been a big deal.

We had topics for pretty much every big game.

darkwing

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...ll-campaign-hands-on-new-multiplayer-footage/

Then there’s the competitive multiplayer mode which, like the game’s campaign, runs at native 1080p and 60 fps. Supporting up to 24 players across a variety of play modes, Shadow Fall’s multiplayer combat feels more agile and responsive than its predecessor thanks to DualShock 4′s many refinements and, well, dat framerate.

This is Sony's own blog. What an interesting start of a new generation. Frankly I don't care one way or another because the game looks very good visually but it will be interesting if the same culprits that attacked XBox One titles for not being native 1080p do the same here.

No matter how you cut it, Sony lied and I bought the game, no wonder the MP looks weird compared to the SP

maneil99

But it has a dynamic environment and runs at a native 900p and 60fps, not to mention the maps are huge compared to KZ

It boggles my mind
The maps are empy, there is no advance geometry, the foliage setting is equivelent to PC on low, the pop in on grass and such is extremely bad, the game drops fps in 64 player maps more then it stays @ 60. Oh and the player models are lower fidelity than Ghosts.

But it has a dynamic environment and runs at a native 900p and 60fps, not to mention the maps are huge compared to KZ

It boggles my mind

Its not rocket science. They designed the game to be 1080p 30 fps. Now they wanted MP to be a higher Framerate, so how do you go about achieving that with the engine they built? Simple, lower the res.

ItIsOkBro

Last minute though? I‘m sitting here thinking this is probably one of the most clever attempts to get to 60fps I‘ve ever seen. When you consider the alternatives of dropping the resolution outright or disabling effects, compared to what appeared to mostly everyone to be a poor implementation of anti-aliasing, it must have taken time, impressive tbh. Like, I ain‘t even mad impressive.

VanWinkle

Resolution has been a big deal for a long time, but it's relative to the generations. Last gen it was important to have 720p, and games were often scolded when they weren't. This gen, 1080p is important. I 100% expected the vast majority of games of this gen would be 1080p and it came as a bit of a shock when games were revealed, primary on XB1, to be under that. It was disappointing, as I thought it was a natural progression.

Top Bottom