• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

I can't even make fun of NRS graphics while saying Capcom games look prettier! Half of the SFV characters look hideous!
The graphics in recent NRS games are great (though a bit too muted for my taste), but the animations are bad looking. The graphics in SFV are kinda bad in a lot of cases, even for the cartoony aesthetic of the game, but the animations are top notch.

That and a hitbox viewer. Capcom PR might have convinced a lot of people that SFV is designed for the competitive community, but it's really just cheap and lacking in features.
The game should probably have been under full-time development for at least half a year more, but I guess Capcom (and/or Sony) wanted it out for that years CPT. It was crazy how bare-bones the initial version was.

mbpm1

Ucchedavāda;236802189 said:
The game should probably have been under full-time development for at least half a year more, but I guess Capcom (and/or Sony) wanted it out for that years CPT. It was crazy how bare-bones the initial version was.

Only 2 player lobbies

Ucchedavāda;236802189 said:
The graphics in recent NRS games are great (though a bit too muted for my taste), but the animations are bad looking. The graphics in SFV are kinda bad in a lot of cases, even for the cartoony aesthetic of the game, but the animations are top notch.
The animations are top notch, but I won't be able to say that if that Cammy air throw animation makes it in - lol.

It's still bare-bones, I'd say.

Only 2 player lobbies

Character stories, offline 1v1 (no vs CPU at that point), ranked and casual (best of 1 matches), 2 player lobbies, training mode, and a very limited CFN. I think that was it.

EDIT: And survival mode.

The animations are top notch, but I won't be able to say that if that Cammy air throw animation makes it in - lol.

Agreed, on both points.

MrCarter

I mean, out of hundreds of great animations one crappy one isn't too bad. If she only spun once to her left/right that would have been fine lol.

We've come along way since release but I think arcade, extra battle mode (?) and a possible second story will make it better for casuals. They should make the gameplay, netcode and QoL stuff priority for now though.

Would purchase at a reasonable price.

Hmm not so sure. ASW are good at ASW games so I'm not too enthused by this idea as I feel it would lose the old school touch from Capcom staff that worked on the original game.

I mean, out of hundreds of great animations one crappy one isn't too bad. If she only spun once to her left/right that would have been fine lol.

We've come along way since release but I think arcade, extra battle mode (?) and a possible second story will make it better for casuals. They should make the gameplay, netcode and QoL stuff priority for now though.

Hmm not so sure. ASW are good at ASW games so I'm not too enthused by this idea as I feel it would lose the old school touch from Capcom staff that worked on the original game.
Nah, this is a fundamental misunderstanding about how casuals work. Above all else, casuals buy for hype, to fulfill an impulse, and to be part of something others are doing. They do not care about feature sets at all, that's just their rationalization and ability to bandwagon with the mainstream criticism of the game. The real problems with SFV are that:
1) It missed the boat - release hype is the #1 source of a game's sales, and SFV had nothing hyping it up pre-release.
2) Watching the game isn't exciting enough to move people on impulse buys.
3) It's not popular among casuals (catch-22!).

Story mode? You can look that up on YouTube and save yourself $40.
New modes? Eh, maybe buy it used for $10 and try them out on a weekend.

The only chance SFV has to recover financially - and I think it's slim - is to repackage it like it's a relaunch. Even then, it'll never be what SFIV was. The bungled launch is too much.

Also, IIRC ASW is partially made up of the old-school team that worked on Darkstalkers. That's why the designs are so good, and why the gameplay is so similar in feel and flow. Capcom got rid of some of the Darkstalkers team when the series didn't take off, and they created ASW and thus Guilty Gear. Someone with better industry knowledge could probably give a more accurate portrayal, but that's the story I've always been told.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Respectfully disagree. ASW hasn't lost any of the magic going from 2d to 3d and that old school capcom touch died in 09. Look at Dizzy. The current sfv dev team couldn't produce that level of detail and deforming/morphing animations if they had ten years to do it.

ASW nor Capcom is going to make a Darkstalkers game like in the olden days because it was a product of its time. That's why GG's designs look the way they do now compared to what was "cool" back then.

MrCarter

Also, IIRC ASW is partially made up of the old-school team that worked on Darkstalkers. That's why the designs are so good, and why the gameplay is so similar in feel and flow. Capcom got rid of some of the Darkstalkers team when the series didn't take off, and they created ASW and thus Guilty Gear. Someone with better industry knowledge could probably give a more accurate portrayal, but that's the story I've always been told.

Easy to thier own but I do enjoy watching and playing SFV, even moreso than SFIV. Personally, I don't care if they don't pander to casuals, but if they keep on improving the quality of the game I'm good.

Wow! I didn't know ASW was made up of Darkstalkers crew, is there any link to this for proof? Either way I'm pretty sure something would be lost as the original developers are not working on it. Would be open to them trying though.

To be fair, releasing a 12 year old arcade game to 'gauge interest' ie if you don't buy 3 million copies of this we won't make a real sequel is kind of bullshit.

They shouldn't have even done it tbh. DS has no appeal outside Japan. It's a niche fighting game, and it's always been that way. The mechanics themselves are strict compared to SFV, and it's overall a harder game to get into.

It's fun still, but it's definitely not a game I'd risk dumping money on while staying true to what it is without a huge pot of cash I could waste.

BiggNife

Man I haven't played since December but I just tried the beta and I think I love Ed

Fuck maybe I should start playing again

Is the online scene desolate these days? Can a shitty Silver player like me still get matches or is it just Golds and Plats? The thing I hate about fighters is that the communities always dry up after a year so the less experienced players usually just give up

MrCarter

Man I haven't played since December but I just tried the beta and I think I love Ed

Is the online scene desolate these days? Can a shitty Silver player like me still get matches or is it just Golds and Plats? The thing I hate about fighters is that the communities always dry up after a year so the less experienced players usually just give up

It has the largest and consistent pool of players online in a fighting game at the moment so it's not doing too bad. It's the only one that has crossplay with PC too so that's a bonus in keeping the community active. This new CFN (the Beta of which you are playing) will hopefully improve the match-making and performance of online too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
They shouldn't have even done it tbh. DS has no appeal outside Japan. It's a niche fighting game, and it's always been that way. The mechanics themselves are strict compared to SFV, and it's overall a harder game to get into.

It's fun still, but it's definitely not a game I'd risk dumping money on while staying true to what it is without a huge pot of cash I could waste.

They absolutely should have released a Vsav port with netplay. What they shouldn't have done was frame it as a litmus test. Sorry if the fanbase won't absolve you of the risk of a new game.

mbpm1

Last day of the beta and i think Ed isn't for me for sure.

It fits his character bc he needs to seek out every opportunity and convert but it's just too much work for me. Back to ice bae

Skab

There are still plenty of people in every rank.

MechaX

But Gundam and SFV are what I'm all about at the end of the day.

In fact see me in gundam.

I'd better see you in the inevitable GAF group once Gundam Versus hits.

I feel like Gundam is the only game I can spend literal years in and still have fun, salt, joy, everything notwithstanding.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I like Ed. He is a lot of fun. Interestingly, I think his easy inputs will actually help me not press buttons/will make me more disciplined. So yeah, I will have him join my blond duo of Karin and Kolin as my mains.

I'm bronze 4 life and I get tons of matches. Rookies, Super/Ultra Bronze, etc

I think the new CFN will also get more people giving it a second chance if they fell off/burned out

They absolutely should have released a Vsav port with netplay. What they shouldn't have done was frame it as a litmus test. Sorry if the fanbase won't absolve you of the risk of a new game.

I don't disagree with that. Despite how companies operate on that basis (which sadly they do), you never vocalize it or hold the game up for ransom. On the flipside, either way, the results would have been the same - DS Res wouldn't have made target sales and DS still is too niche in the grand scheme of things.

Wow rog completely bodied me...what do you do against him now? Just RTSD?

Some of the people at my locals who use Ken like to build meter all round and let loose at the end, ensuring he doesn't get to activate his v-trigger. The other method is pressuring him so much that he is forced to use his reversal in order to get you off him.

Interrupting his rekka sequence will keep you from taking unnecessary damage when he goes for the reset. So yeah, RTSD, bully him on wake up but watch out for TAP (lol).

I'd better see you in the inevitable GAF group once Gundam Versus hits.

I feel like Gundam is the only game I can spend literal years in and still have fun, salt, joy, everything notwithstanding.

Oh you fucking will. I'm planning on spending a lot of time supporting that game, and obviously playing it. Gundam is the sort of game you can play for ages and feel all those feelings in one match at the same time lol

I don't disagree with that. Despite how companies operate on that basis (which sadly they do), you never vocalize it or hold the game up for ransom. On the flipside, either way, the results would have been the same - DS Res wouldn't have made target sales and DS still is too niche in the grand scheme of things.

Some of the people at my locals who use Ken like to build meter all round and let loose at the end, ensuring he doesn't get to activate his v-trigger. The other method is pressuring him so much that he is forced to use his reversal in order to get you off him.

Interrupting his rekka sequence will keep you from taking unnecessary damage when he goes for the reset. So yeah, RTSD, bully him on wake up but watch out for TAP (lol).

Oh you fucking will. I'm planning on spending a lot of time supporting that game, and obviously playing it. Gundam is the sort of game you can play for ages and feel all those feelings in one match at the same time lol
Gotcha, thanks man...Gotta practice against top tier. Rog, Laura, Cammy really hard to defend against...

Gotcha, thanks man...Gotta practice against top tier. Rog, Laura, Cammy really hard to defend against...

The way I do it is I'll play a match and see exactly where things went wrong. If it's a combo that caught me I'll try and learn how to defend against it. If I'm not able to AA a move I work on it. And so on!

Numb

Yeah after this beta, I'm definitely back in. I'll be juggling this and tekken when I get bored of the big single player games.

Was gonna drop this when tekken came out but Ed changed my mind
Good character.
Now buff him
Better crush combos
KK special with a EX version(that becomes normal part of PP ex version in sky if you decide all with one meter)
Command grab
Overhead
special cancelable st.MP
Specials with no whiffing due to slightly long distance
Cancel vskill at will
etc
etc
;_;

Onemic

Cool vid. Sometimes we forget how hard fighting games are at immediate glance

I really dont agree with this as someone that was mainly an FPS player before moving to FG's. Every competitive genre is pretty much just as difficult. It seems like Aris is comparing playing FG's competitively to playing SP games at your leisure. (Which makes sense considering he mentions Dark Souls and Resident Evil as examples to prove his point)

FACE

Banned

People think they want to play Vampire Savior until Sasquatch happens.

VariantX

To be fair, releasing a 12 year old arcade game to 'gauge interest' ie if you don't buy 3 million copies of this we won't make a real sequel is kind of bullshit.

Yep. If you couldn't do that with SF, it sure as hell wasn't happening with Darkstalkers. It was also based on the bare-bones arcade version instead of the later home versions that had more characters and content too. Capcom didn't even put the best possible foot forward with the game.

FACE

Banned
Yep. If you couldn't do that with SF, it sure as hell wasn't happening with Darkstalkers. It was also based on the bare-bones arcade version instead of the later home versions that had more characters and content too. Capcom didn't even put the best possible foot forward with the game.

It's based on the Arcade version because the home console ports aren't arcade perfect gameplay-wise.

Also fuck Donovan.

Was gonna drop this when tekken came out but Ed changed my mind
Good character.
Now buff him
Better crush combos
KK special with a EX version(that becomes normal part of PP ex version in sky if you decide all with one meter)
Command grab
Overhead
special cancelable st.MP
Specials with no whiffing due to slightly long distance
Cancel vskill at will
etc
etc
;_;
No, screw this nonsense about command grabs on non grappler characters. Getting tired of being out-grappled by characters that aren't even grapplers to begin with. We don't need another Necalli.

Edzi

No, screw this nonsense about command grabs on non grappler characters. Getting tired of being out-grappled by characters that aren't even grapplers to begin with. We don't need another Necalli.

Lol, seriously. People just want the characters they like to have everything without really thinking.

Besides, Ed's v-skill is already kind of like a grab.

Top Bottom