• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Nbz

Getting this on Friday! Finished up DQVII last month so I'm ready to finally play this game that everyone loves so much

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Minor postgame content spoiler question nothing story related though.
Anyone find rainbow Stella yet? Only thing I never managed to do in this game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Excellent OT, looking forward to this release as I haven't played VIII since it first released on the PS2.

MoonFrog

Looking forward to playing this again, now that I've played all the Dragon Quests out west, as DQVIII is where I started back in 2005. I'll be a bit late to it. Got a lot of DS/3DS games this past holiday :p.

I am looking forward to this. With all the improvements, hopefully I will beat the game this time. Didn't get to far on the PS2 version. I am hoping the mini map makes travel easier.

Raw64life

Tons of other games I have interest in releasing in Q1 2017 and I'm passing on all of them so I can play the shit out of this. One of my favorite games of all time and I haven't played it in about a decade. Can't wait.

Aeana

I hope the game finds its way to a bunch of new people through this release.

Also, please keep the port begging out of here. I've already deleted one post, the next people will not get off so easily.

Arthos

Have a huge 3DS backlog but I still plan on getting this! I own the PS2 version but I didn't get far. So looking forward to this.

18-Volt

No symphonic music is a huge bummer but I'll finish it nonetheless. Still, I'm waiting for a HD version with symphonic music AND Yangus prequel included. Switch, maybe?

Arkeband

Banned
FREE weekly item downloads until September 2017.

I'm dismayed to see this return, even though it has given me a reason to compulsively continue to log into 7, tediously delete tablets, and then run through some reused assets to get a potentially new (yet pointless) item. Hopefully it isn't as convoluted if it's just an item, here.

In addition to the game's already extra-meaty post-game, there are two NEW post-game dungeons to explore.

There were post game dungeons in 7 too, but they were, again, entirely reused assets - are these new dungeons as lazy?

Two newly-playable characters! If you played the PS2 original, you've met them already as Red and Morrie. While battles still only allow four characters fighting at a time, the leftover 2 characters can be swapped in without wasting a turn, Final Fantasy X-style.

I was wondering how they would handle this and as long as the menus aren't as clunky as 7's, I am super pleased.

R0ckman

Also, please keep the port begging out of here. I've already deleted one post, the next people will not get off so easily.

My son loves this series because the monster designs look really cool to him. They should really push that in the West, but they seem so disinterested in really promoting specific aspects of the game series.

Oh.

Ok. Well, the added characters seem fun.

Hope newcomers enjoy. It's my favorite game in this series and I've played all of them except 10.

Aeana

No symphonic music is a huge bummer but I'll finish it nonetheless. Still, I'm waiting for a HD version with symphonic music AND Yangus prequel included. Switch, maybe?
What did I just say

I really don't want to ban people, here.

Two newly-playable characters! If you played the PS2 original, you've met them already as Red and Morrie. While battles still only allow four characters fighting at a time, the leftover 2 characters can be swapped in without wasting a turn, Final Fantasy X Dragon Quest 4-style.

Fixed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why did 7 get called out in the Op. Neogaf can't hang

I think it was speaking to the nature of 7 being the newest Dragon Quest release, not to the quality of that game in particular.

There were a lot of people who got their first exposure to Dragon Quest through 7's 3DS release. The OP here is just saying "If you didn't like 7, don't immediately discount 8 because it's radically different and you might find that you like it."

Sweet, I love this game. It's a little long in the tooth for Dragon Quest, but it manages to not FEEL like it is, which is quite remarkable.

I might pick this up and play it right now, I am haphazardly replaying VI at the moment, but might as well enjoy the launch hype.

Bummed about no 3D or n3DS improvements, but it still looks pretty good.

I think it was speaking to the nature of 7 being the newest Dragon Quest release, not to the quality of that game in particular.

There were a lot of people who got their first exposure to Dragon Quest through 7's 3DS release. The OP here is just saying "If you didn't like 7, don't immediately discount 8 well, i guess it cent be helped.because it's radically different and you might find that you like it."

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Oh well.

Anyway, viiI is cool. I'm still working on pkmn thpugh. Still day oning though

gblues

Banned
Gamestop has a preorder bonus of a sweet-looking 3DS carrying pouch. Yeah blah blah preordering but I'm a sucker for DQ and the pouch looks sweet.

18-Volt

What did I just say

I really don't want to ban people, here.

Sorry, didn't see that post.

But I really wanted to play that Yangus game. I still don't understand why Square decided not to bring the game over here, I thought DQ8 sales on PS2 were pretty good in west.

Hobbun

Will be picking this up day 1.

I understand there are two extra dungeons, but they can’t take (approximately 40 hours). It’s been so long since I’ve played DQ VIII on the PS2, did it originally have such a big post-game?

Anoxida

There were a lot of people who got their first exposure to Dragon Quest through 7's 3DS release. The OP here is just saying "If you didn't like 7, don't immediately discount 8 because it's radically different and you might find that you like it."

Ehhh to be fair GAF didnt take to 7 as well as you think they would. A lot of people loved it of course but there are plenty who were disappointed, me included. Loved several other titles in the series but found 7 to be incredibly dull. But I think that if you dont like 7 you should still give 8 a chance. Good story, great characters and is only second to FFXII when it comes to voice acting. It's really a very different experience compared to 7. Cant wait to get my hands on the 3ds version.

MoonFrog

Will be picking this up day 1.

I understand there are two extra dungeons, but they can’t take (approximately 40 hours). It’s been so long since I’ve played DQ VIII on the PS2, did it originally have such a big post-game?

I just remember that Dragovian (spelling?!) place with the Dragon you fought over again a la DQVII God. There was a town and a dungeon? Or was it a dungeon path to the town and a dungeon to the Dragon?

rybrad

Gamestop has a preorder bonus of a sweet-looking 3DS carrying pouch. Yeah blah blah preordering but I'm a sucker for DQ and the pouch looks sweet.
I don't think pre-ordering a known quantity like this is near as risky as new games so get that sweet pouch and enjoy it.

Due to playing Pokemon Sun I had placed 7 on the back burner but now I'm on it again, but unfortunately due to my nature I am doing nothing but grinding Jobs, probably won't finish until in February

Top Bottom