• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

NolbertoS

Gamestop has a preorder bonus of a sweet-looking 3DS carrying pouch. Yeah blah blah preordering but I'm a sucker for DQ and the pouch looks sweet.

Damn you. I'm a sucker for any DQ related. I ordered from GS and now have to sell my other Amazon copy on ebay. All for that DQ pouch.

Jimrpg

I preordered, I've never played a DQ game before but always wanted to. I have the PS2 version sealed up but waited for the last year or so for this.

Glassboy

My Best Buy copy shipped out today and looks like I'll be receiving it along with gravity rush 2 tomorrow. Super excited to dig into both of these. DQ8 was the game that got me into the series. I'm very curious to see how the new content fits into the game. It actually ended up being one of my favorite ps2 games and I think I just picked it up for $5 on clearance at Best Buy way back.

Amazon screwed up, they probably thought it launched yesterday.
They shipped it yesterday and gave me 1 day air (I did 2 day).

Thanks to this post, I checked my order and they screwed mine up too. I should be getting it tomorrow according to the tracking.

I think this is the first year since I started using Amazon that I've gotten something early, and I started in 2003. That's if it shows up.

Fingers crossed.

Amalthea

Banned
I'm right before the 2nd dungeon. The lack of foliage in the distance is pretty jarring but it plays so much smoother than the iOS version. Glad to have a non-molasse portable version of DQ8. The visible enemies are also a godsend and help make the environments more lively.

Briguy13

Banned
Nice thread. Gonna be all newb here and say I'm guessing the "OT" that I keep seeing in thread titles means "official topic" ?

So how long to play is it to enable the free weekly DLC ?

DQVII was super obnoxious with how long it took and the low cap on number of weekly dungeons.

Do we have any idea how meaty the new story content and dungeons are? I don't really care about the rest of the changes, but I'd buy this version if those two things add enough to the game.

Got a good deal on the price with Prime discount, so what the hey. Barely touched DQ7 yet but it's nice to know this will be sat on the shelf waiting for me when I'm ready.

Aeana

Did they change thing in gameplay, like the difficulty ? Balance Op thing , etc ?
Exp/gold rate is slightly increased. If you don't avoid enemies (which are now visible instead of random) then you will be higher level with more money than if you played the original the same way.

They also made it so HP/MP are restored on level up, which primarily impacts the start of the game.

PikkonX

Looks like mine is set to arrive today as well. I haven't finished DQVII yet, but that'll be getting shelved for a bit while I play this. Been wanting to play since the PS2 release, but never got around to picking it up for some reason.

Edit: Is there an online guide for this anywhere that's similar to the one that Nintendo published for DQ7?

Lucreto

How do the new characters work?

Are they written into the main story or are they not there during the main campaign and only appear in the new content involving them?

Damn, my Amazon copy isn't even preparing for shipment yet.

Looks like you have my luck. Still hasn't shipped and it was supposed to ship yesterday.

I only preordered my copy using Prime this morning (expedited shipping), and tracking is quoting Saturday for delivery. I've had this before, sometimes the tracking just shifts and the delivery turns up on the release day anyway.

Are they written into the main story or are they not there during the main campaign and only appear in the new content involving them?
Well they both existed in the original game. Red was in the story for a bit already, now she's just a full party member.
Morrie is optional so I doubt if he has any significant contributions, though.
So how long to play is it to enable the free weekly DLC ?
DQVII was super obnoxious with how long it took and the low cap on number of weekly dungeons.
I've read its after finishing the first town, so much earlier!

Dakhil

The new characters are written into the main story to some extent (with some new dialogue at some scenes).

Linkura

Nope, I'm not salty at all that Amazon shipped some orders already but not mine. :mad:

It says "preparing for shipment" and arriving tomorrow but damn I sure would've liked to get it a day or two early.

Curious, when did you guys preorder? Mine was from Nov 3. Wondering if they're shipping based on preorder date or just randomly.

Vorg

Banned
I'll probably buy this at some point to add to my collection, but I finished the android version last year so I'm not sure I'll play it again this soon. It's such a great game though. One of the best jrpgs ever for sure.

Dakhil

Nope, I'm not salty at all that Amazon shipped some orders already but not mine. :mad:

It says "preparing for shipment" and arriving tomorrow but damn I sure would've liked to get it a day or two early.

Curious, when did you guys preorder? Mine was from Nov 3. Wondering if they're shipping based on preorder date or just randomly.

I preordered on 1 April 2016. And Amazon's saying that it's preparing to ship my order and that Dragon Quest VIII will arrive tomorrow.

I think when they're shipping Dragon Quest VIII is based on how close your location is to one of Amazon's warehouses.

It does suck that some people get Dragon Quest VIII early whilst I have to wait until tomorrow to get my copy.

I pre-ordered one year ago on January 20. It shipped last night, from an Arizona center to me in Michigan.

Aeana

Meh, the "censored" outfits are honestly for the best in most cases. Ever since DQ3, I've found the female warrior design to be absurd.

PikkonX

I preordered on 1 April 2016. And Amazon's saying that it's preparing to ship my order and that Dragon Quest VIII will arrive tomorrow.

I think when they're shipping Dragon Quest VIII is based on how close your location is to one of Amazon's warehouses.

It does suck that some people get Dragon Quest VIII early whilst I have to wait until tomorrow to get my copy.

I ordered mine on Nov. 3. It shipped out yesterday from CA via Next Day Air (I chose release date delivery when I ordered it) and will be delivered in VA today. I definitely have warehouses much closer than that, so not sure what they based shipping on.

Meh, the "censored" outfits are honestly for the best in most cases. Ever since DQ3, I've found the female warrior design to be absurd.

Seriously. The female warrior NPC is really silly looking. The only Jessica outfit censorship that's weird to me is the bunny girl one, seeing as she actually shows more skin in the new version.

sensui-tomo

only 1 outfit seems odd for the amount of change it got, everything else though doesnt even seem like a big change. Then again nobody really uses it that much due to its poor stats and the sole purpose of it is to be combined to make a better armor.

Can anyone speak to any "missables" in this game? I tend to like going into my mega-RPGs with a minimum of knowledge, except a fore-warning of anything which can be permanently missed out on.

Also, what does this game's famously robust post-game entail? Almost doubling the original length sounds wild.

kromeo

Can anyone speak to any "missables" in this game? I tend to like going into my mega-RPGs with a minimum of knowledge, except a fore-warning of anything which can be permanently missed out on.

Not that I can think of, you can backtrack through pretty much the whole game if you need to

Dakhil

Also, what does this game's famously robust post-game entail? Almost doubling the original length sounds wild.

Not that I can think of, you can backtrack through pretty much the whole game if you need to

There are missable items in this game.
One of the missable items are the Mini Medals in Martha's Cottage.

Top Bottom