• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

inner-G

Banned
Gamestop has a preorder bonus of a sweet-looking 3DS carrying pouch. Yeah blah blah preordering but I'm a sucker for DQ and the pouch looks sweet.
Do you know if the pouch will fit a New XL?

Can't find any dimensions on their site

Raw64life

Gamestop has a preorder bonus of a sweet-looking 3DS carrying pouch. Yeah blah blah preordering but I'm a sucker for DQ and the pouch looks sweet.

If there was ever a game worth pre-ordering it's this. Not just because it's a high quality game but you get all the content on the cartridge Day 1, no DLC, no season pass, no F2P, no online only, none of that bullshit. 1 payment and you get everything. A dying breed of game in today's day and age.

takoyaki

Great OT, guvna!

My copy should arrive on Friday. DQ8 is probably my favorite DQ, it's such a charming game and I haven't played through the whole thing in a long time.

I hope people give this one a shot. It's a packed January release schedule, and DQVII was not being released that far back (heard so many people say aren't done with it). Great game with many QoL improvements over the PS2 version.

I've also been listening to the synthesized music from some videos from people with early copies and they actually did a decent job with the new samples. Some of it sounds really nice.

Rncewind

gonna pick up next month (not finished with dq VII yet...its so looong), loved it on the PS2

Question, are the 2 new cast members well interrigated to the overall story? or are their "just there" ?

I hope people give this one a shot. It's a packed January release schedule, and DQVII was not being released that far back (heard so many people say aren't done with it). Great game with many QoL improvements over the PS2 version.

I've also been listening to the synthesized music from some videos from people with early copies and they actually did a decent job with the new samples. Some of it sounds really nice.

Aren't the arrangementd from the PS2 version? (In japan)

MaxDOL

I wish there is an option to turn off visible monster.
I prefer random encounter in my Dragon Quest.

Come on Play-Asia shipped the game now.

Seeing as how I'm still in the middle of playing DQVII (ended up taking a lengthy break from it... which isn't too surprising) I probably won't be getting into this for a while yet.

Plus I have some other RPGs I want to finish first... it's not easy being a fan of these types of games, sometimes.

Subscribed! Great OT and I'll be getting my copy this Friday.

So, item DLC instead of dungeons? Does that mean that I'll be able to pick it all up without deleting things? Dragon Quest VII was very shortsighted with how they did the DLC.

I really hope there's no input lag this time around. It got so cumbersome in DQVII. The snappy menu is one of my favourite things about the series. VII (localisation), VIII (western) and IX were the only ones that fell short for me. It's a shame though that as with VII, we don't get the item pictures once again. I honestly preferred how the DS remakes combined the old school menu with pictures and stuff.

Very nice, then. The new synth for dq7 was good.

I was worried because the ps2 synth wasnt great
Agreed. But yeah the new stuff is nice overall. I don't love the arrangement for the Maella Abbey music but everything else I'm okay with. In some ways this is actually nicer than the orchestra soundtrack in the western PS2 version which sounded muffled and felt like some instruments were too far away.

SheHateMe

I still have my original boxed version of DQVIII (I'm missing my FFXII demo disc thanks to my brother) and I never finished the game. Hell, I don't even think I got a fourth of the way through.

That being said, I got this New 3DS and it needs another game, so here it is!

Agreed. But yeah the new stuff is nice overall. I don't love the arrangement for the Maella Abbey music but everything else I'm okay with. In some ways this is actually nicer than the orchestra soundtrack in the western PS2 version which sounded muffled and felt like some instruments were too far away.

I've always hated the VIII symphonic soundtrack. The recording quality was so bad. A shame, because the composition was solid.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Great work on the OT! Really enjoyed the 3DS version of DQ8 and glad to see that its finally making its way to the West.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice OT, thanks for making it. I bought this on the eshop, so looking forward to starting tomorrow night. It'll be my first time playing it.

I pre-ordered this digitally (all-digital on 3DS)... Anyone have an idea of when the eShop version will be available for download+play? Looking forward to this as my downtime-at-work game until Breath of the Wild.

Bladenic

Can't play this at the moment, but I hope all the new players get the same sense of journey I did when first playing this amazing game. Climbing a hill to discover a lone house at the top, or stumbling upon an abbey to rest while traveling to the next town.. this game's world is unparalleled.

necrosis

been binging on DQ games (5 and 7 specifically) of late; i'll be adding this to the pile as soon as possible

probably my favorite game in the franchise so i'm excited to go back to it

Jhoan

VII has been a huge time sink for me so I took a break from playing it since it was way too addicting. I somehow misplaced my PS2 copy of VIII but I really enjoyed the 30 hours that I plugged into it. VIII is one of my favorites after V (I didn't play VI) and IV was solid but I don't remember much of it despite finishing it.

All the 3DS version revisions sound great including the free weekly DLC so I'll definitely check it out at some point. I've been looking forward to it ever since the NA release date was announced.

Opa-Pa

I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask this, but with an eventual orchestral soundtrack patch for this, would the patch "overwrite" the english dub as well? I want to play with the original soundtrack if possible, but I want the english voices too.

Either way I'm definitely getting this on friday, the soundtrack isn't a deal breaker at all, just wanna have the best possible experience since I never played the PS2 release.

Fauve

Just finished DQ7 and can't wait to jump back into this! I got pretty far on the PS2 but never managed to beat it back then. But one of my concerns is regarding the encounter rate. How is the dungeon encounter rate now that they got rid of random encounters like in DQ7? I had no problem with field encounters since you could easily outrun enemies there. But some dungeons in DQ7 really annoyed me with narrow passages and the inability to avoid enemies. I'm wondering if the same issue is in this version as well.

Just finished DQ7 and can't wait to jump back into this! I got pretty far on the PS2 but never managed to beat it back then. But one of my concerns is regarding the encounter rate. How is the dungeon encounter rate now that they got rid of random encounters like in DQ7? I had no problem with field encounters since you could easily outrun enemies there. But some dungeons in DQ7 really annoyed me with narrow passages and the inability to avoid enemies. I'm wondering if the same issue is in this version as well.
From what I understand l, DQVIII was originally supposed to have symbol encounters, unlike VII. This is apparent in the dungeon design, which is fairly spacious in comparison. I've also heard people say it is a lot better than VII's implementation.

Fauve

From what I understand l, DQVIII was originally supposed to have symbol encounters, unlike VII. This is apparent in the dungeon design, which is fairly spacious in comparison. I'be also heard people say it is a lot better than VII's implementation.

Oh really? That's reassuring then. Thanks!

Already finished paying for my preorder at GameStop. Looking forward to that free pouch and also replaying this game. Also managed to convince one of the GameStop dudes to give me the poster they have in-store. Gonna be a good week.

Busaiku

The DS/3DS saga is finally complete.
z6MsuEth.jpg

bigmac996

Damn, had a chance to get this today but I've got to fix my 3ds circle pad first. The "up" direction is not functional thanks to a year of daily Smash Bros abuse :(

Super excited about this but I don't know how I'm going to squeeze an 80 hour JRPG in :(

After FFXV I'm gonna play KH 0.2 and Gravity Rush 2, and then Nioh, and then Zelda and Nier are a week apart, with Persona 5 the month after.

Maybe with this as a handheld game I'll be able to play it on the side over a few months rather than solely focusing on it.

Anoxida

Super excited about this but I don't know how I'm going to squeeze an 80 hour JRPG in :(

After FFXV I'm gonna play KH 0.2 and Gravity Rush 2, and then Nioh, and then Zelda and Nier are a week apart, with Persona 5 the month after.

Maybe with this as a handheld game I'll be able to play it on the side over a few months rather than solely focusing on it.

Not the best game to play on the side imo. In your case just wait till later in the year when you feel like you have a month when no game interest you.. there's usually one of those for everyone.

1upsuper

It honestly couldn't come out at a worse time for me, but I'll get to it just as soon as I can. DQ is the best game series ever, and I'm so excited to play through VIII again!

Kandinsky

I still have VII sealed and I know I wont be playing this for a long time, still gotta support Nintendo/SE localization efforts, so day 1.

Top Bottom