• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Jeopardy!' Host Alex Trebek Suffers Heart Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

As much as I like Jeopardy, they really need to up the prize money. It's been the same since I began watching the show.
It's not really about the money, though. In the UK, most long-established game shows are more about the *game* than the rewards, particularly the ones regarded as tough.

Mastermind awards a trophy.
Fifteen-to-one awarded a bit of historical pottery.
Only Connect, another trophy.
Brain of Britain, trophy.

Even the friendly teatime quizzes don't generally break the bank:
Countdown awards a teapot, or a copy of the full OED for the winner of the season.
Pointless awards The Pointless Trophy, only winning a jackpot (of £1000, rolling over each time it's unwon) if you win the rather difficult endgame.

Admittedly, part of that is due to the fact that there was legislation forbidding tv companies from giving away huge cash prizes until relatively recently; in 1990, prizes were capped at £6,000, meaning our version of The $64,000 Question only gave away £6,400, and that was by getting special permission. Indeed, I think the creation of WWTBAM was largely due to that cap being removed in the late nineties.

I quite like the fact that one of the best-known US game shows isn't really all about the moolah.

he's probably the best gameshow host of all time. thread title made my heart skip a beat.

In the US, perhaps. In the UK, I'd go for Bob Holness or William G. Stewart for authoritarian-but-friendly-style hosting and Bob Monkhouse or Bruce Forsyth (Brucie, which always made me do a double-take in GTA4!) for the more avuncular-style.

adelante

What is this pain in my arm?

tT3Wa.jpg

It's not really about the money, though.

Jeopardy is an American game show. Watching people win money and prizes has always been a large part of the draw and entertainment of them here. Game shows where people win pottery wtf? or trophies would go over like a lead balloon.

Jeopardy definitely has more bragging rights than winning Wheel of Fortune, but people go on the shows to win money, it's the goal. And the prize money they award for Jeopardy looks cheap compared to many other game shows.

mclem

Jeopardy is an American game show. Watching people win money and prizes has always been a large part of the draw and entertainment of them here. Game shows where people win pottery wtf? or trophies would go over like a lead balloon.

Oh, I don't disagree, I'm just highlighting the differences... and I'm not exactly an expert on the ratings, but it doesn't appear that the relatively low prizes are really hindering Jeopardy's popularity over there.

(Also: Historical pottery. They couldn't even be bothered getting something new! Yet Fifteen-to-one was one of the more respected tough gameshows in the UK. As an amusing aside, William G. Stewart, that friendly-but-tough questioner? Was also producer and warmup man for The Price Is Right over here, which *was* as glitzy as you'd expect a version of TPIR to be!)

FyreWulff

Jeopardy definitely has more bragging rights than winning Wheel of Fortune, but people go on the shows to win money, it's the goal. And the prize money they award for Jeopardy looks cheap compared to many other game shows.

But you can also win over multiple days, which is where your prize money starts to add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom