• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for the inevitable "Yeezus is trash" post and the swarm of "No, it's the 2nd best album he's ever made" posts.

Mine will be included in that pile as well.

HiResDes

I did listen to some tracks and had a couple of them on my iPod back in the day but I never truly listened to him.

If you skip all music based upon an artist's persona you're gonna miss on some of the best albums of all time...

Dereck this new $ha Hef is so fucking hard.

Koozek

https://soundcloud.com/phoelix/sets/gspl
BUazYxU0_400x400.jpg

Dude worked with Noname and Saba so it should be more of that sweet Chicago sound.
Mhhh, this is smooth! Thank you. I just love this New Chicago shit.

The first time I listened to Kanye was probably around 2007-2008.

It was a middle school dance. Being a middle school dance, the "DJ" / person in control of the music basically just played top 40 hits and, lo and behold, he/she/they/it played "Stronger" and it blew my adolescent mind. From there, I must have been googling the sample in the song and I found Daft Punk's "Alive 2007" which also happened to blow my mind. I don't remember which came first to be honest, my love of Daft Punk or my love of Kanye. But from there, the next Kanye memory that comes to mind is young me listening to the single version of "Runaway" and downloading what was left of the G.O.O.D. Fridays series: Power Remix, The Joy, Take One For The Team, and Looking For Trouble.

Weird part is, I hadn't really started "listening" to Kanye till 2013, when I really got into music. The first album I really listened to was "Yeezus" and from there I went back into the discography and heard the full version of "Runaway."

Koozek

Will never forget the late summer of '05 when I got my first MP3-capable phone and Late Registration just dropped. Put the album on it (64mb storage, lol), rode our bikes through our town with my boys and blasted Crack Music. Love that album so much.

Will never forget the late summer of '05 when I got my first MP3-capable phone and Late Registration just dropped. Put the album on it (64mb storage, lol), rode our bikes through our town with my boys and blasted Crack Music. Love that album so much.
I'd love to see the faces of the people seeing a group of presumably-white kids blaring "that's the crack music, n**** / that real black music, n****"

LionPride

Banned
I brought you brothers here today to start our own fraternity
Broke Phi Broke, we ain't got it
Broke Phi Broke (we ain't got it)
No, we have no money
We are sharin' jeans
If I go outside, I got the only clothing on
How many cars do we own? (None!)
How many cars do we own? (None, sir!)
Should we let our woman go and be with the cat in the car?
Yes, we will
Why? Because we can't afford gas. Say it with me!
(We can't afford no gas!)
Say it!
(We can't afford no gas!)
So we ain't drivin'!

Bronx-Man

Banned
A discussion I saw on the TL today had me realize: Drake's legacy is that he'll go down as the biggest rapper ever to have no classic albums. Think about it.

Pac - All Eyez on Me
Big - Ready to Die
Dre - The Chronic
Hov - too many to count
Em - Marshall Mathers LP
Nas - Illmatic
50 - Get Rich or Die Trying
Ye - see Hov
Wayne - Carter III
Kenny - Good Kid, Maad City

I'm not trying to ride his ass or anything but can you really put any of Drizzy's albums up there with these? Maaaaaaaaybe NWTS, but even then I'd consider that a stretch.

Koozek

Yeah, it's really strange with Drake. Can't even explain why. Like, people mention Take Care, but ehhh, I don't know... I loved it back then, but a classic?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If not Take Care, then SFG is a classic for Drake putting his stamp on the game and pretty much changing the course of hip-hop for the next decade. Drake definitely has arguable classics, and a lot of those albums are similarly listed primarily for their influence, but not many as enduring as what Drake brought to the game. Quality, the other component of what makes a classic, is arguable too but those two projects of his are pretty universally praised as well.

HiResDes

Take Care is better than anything Em dropped...

Also there's Jadakiss, Busta, Ludacris, Nelly, etc. I mean I love Busta first three albums but no one really considers them to be absolute classics.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I first remembering listening to Kanye with "Stronger" and rembering thinking that this was pretty good, same with Good Life, but not much thought went into it. He performs Love Lockdown on the Ellen show and I remember watching and liking it, and then hearing Heartless later and being liked DAMN. Get his album for Christmas, and the songs felt pretty personal at the time and I was pretty excited for his next album...MBDTF comes out and I'm hooked on his music for life, and ever since then he's been my favorite artist. And he is actually an artist when it comes to music.

If not Take Care, then SFG is a classic for Drake putting his stamp on the game and pretty much changing the course of hip-hop for the next decade. Drake definitely has arguable classics, and a lot of those albums are similarly listed primarily for their influence, but not many as enduring as what Drake brought to the game. Quality, the other component of what makes a classic, is arguable too but those two projects of his are pretty universally praised as well.
His first three albums and EP are pretty good tbh, maybe a bit bloated...I think everything else he has made since then has been only half good and just a mess with no theme. Plus he's been talking about the same things for a decade basically, he's stagnant.

Also there's Jadakiss, Busta, Ludacris, Nelly, etc. I mean I love Busta first three albums but no one really considers them to be absolute classics.
Yeah...no

LionPride

Banned

I hate Em

Take Care is not better than an album he dropped prior to 2004

Also Busta Rhymes has no bad albums or features

He's a top tier rapper

HiResDes

I hate Em

Take Care is not better than an album he dropped prior to 2004

Also Busta Rhymes has no bad albums or features

He's a top tier rapper
Busta has like three very good albums, and a slew of bad/mediocre ones so I don't know what you're on about

And although at the time I liked Eminem Show and MMLP I'd much rather listen to Take Care any day despite the bullshit classic stigma.

LionPride

Banned
Busta has like three very good albums, and a slew of bad/mediocre ones so I don't know what you're on about

And although at the time I liked Eminem Show and MMLP I'd much rather listen to Take Care any day despite the bullshit classic stigma.
Yeah that's a you thing

Offa that album I only listen to Headlines, Crew Love, and HYFR

Anything else is just aight or not somethin I wanna listen to again

HiResDes

Yeah that's a you thing

Offa that album I only listen to Headlines, Crew Love, and HYFR

Anything else is just aight or not somethin I wanna listen to again
If you don't fuck with Cameras/Good Ones, Marvin's Room, Underground Kings then I don't ever wanna be on the same wave as you

Ironically Drake has more "classic" material than anyone, and for all the "classics" hurled on Kendrick no one in 20 years will care. Whereas plenty of people will say "I lost my virginity to Take Care; I got my ass ate to Drake; I bought my first car and played NWTS three times in a row; etc." That's not to say Drake is a classic hip hop artist in the same way Jay-Z is, but does it matter? Purple Rain is more popular than any rap album, and Drake has multiple albums that dominated periods of time like that.

"Oh yes, To Pimp A Butterfly was a classic that defined a year" - no one in the future, ever

Icolin

Banned
If you don't fuck with Cameras/Good Ones, Marvin's Room, Underground Kings then I don't ever wanna be on the same wave as you

For real. Take Care would be a borderline classic if the 3 or 4 filler tracks were removed. Everything else is Drake at his peak.

NWTS and IYRTITL suffer from the same problem even more.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Ironically Drake has more "classic" material than anyone, and for all the "classics" hurled on Kendrick no one in 20 years will care. Whereas plenty of people will say "I lost my virginity to Take Care; I got my ass ate to Drake; I bought my first car and played NWTS three times in a row; etc." That's not to say Drake is a classic hip hop artist in the same way Jay-Z is, but does it matter? Purple Rain is more popular than any rap album, and Drake has multiple albums that dominated periods of time like that.

"Oh yes, To Pimp A Butterfly was a classic that defined a year" - no one in the future, ever
I'm sure people got their ass ate to Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven, that doesn't make it a classic.

A discussion I saw on the TL today had me realize: Drake's legacy is that he'll go down as the biggest rapper ever to have no classic albums. Think about it.

Pac - All Eyez on Me
Big - Ready to Die
Dre - The Chronic
Hov - too many to count
Em - Marshall Mathers LP
Nas - Illmatic
Ye - see Hov
Wayne - Carter III

I'm not trying to ride his ass or anything but can you really put any of Drizzy's albums up there with these? Maaaaaaaaybe NWTS, but even then I'd consider that a stretch.
I think many people widely consider Take Care to be a classic.

And I can see where they're coming from. It has a lot of good songs on it (HYFR, Underground Kings, Take Care, Practice, Marvin's Room, Crew Love), but I don't feel the same amount of love for that album other's do. It's a good album for sure, but I don't know if it merits being called a classic.
I'm sure people got their ass ate to Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven, that doesn't make it a classic.
FZZ's about to come in here and go "Let me tell you about this one time..."

Ish going down I see.

Kanye order is this from best to worst:

The College Dropout
Late Registration
Graduation
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Life of Pablo
808s & Heartbreak
Yeezus

And Drakes best work is comeback season. Nah he can't touch the king Eminem.

Sure, whatever.

Not sure if serious lmao. I don't think any of these guys will be remembered 20 yeas down the road. Maybe Drake, but that is a maybe. Meanwhile Jay z and most like kendrick will be legends for decades to come. You need to realize the people who listen to drake or future don't care about longevity, they care about quick what is hot type stuff. Those fans will eventually move on and not care. The Jay z fans and Kendrick are different, basically each fan base has a different care for their music.

TraBuch

Banned
I somehow just heard PRBLMS by 6lack for the first time and fucking loved it. Should I check out that album? What other songs have that vibe?

Pac - All Eyez on Me
Big - Ready to Die
Dre - The Chronic
Hov - too many to count
Em - Marshall Mathers LP
Nas - Illmatic
Ye - see Hov
Wayne - Carter III

Many ppl consider take care his classic that he never topped but even than I wouldn't put it or good kid,Maad city or carter 3 on that list

Koozek

Yeah, even as a former huge Wayne stan I wouldn't say he has a classic album. He had a classic run of hot features and mixtapes though.

HiiiLife

Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom