• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant - The Prologue footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, you and your uptight definition of lore, just let it go dude.

Man, you and catching feelings over other people's opinions of a movie!

Seriously though, what lore? There's no "lore" about a xenomorph homeworld. That bit of backstory was almost entirely via the Dark Horse Comics bullshit, wasn't it? It basically doesn't count. It's certainly not any backstory Ridley Scott is keeping in mind.

GhaleonEB

I have only seen the first trailer for Covenant, and watched this and am so fucking confused about what is and isn't in the movie.

I'll check it out either way, of course. Just a weird way to do marketing.

-Mikey-

About the leak:
Fuck. Glad to be brought back down to earth instead of going in with high hopes. I'll still see it, but everything I hoped they wouldn't do actually happens. Bring on Bladerunner.

Syriel

Seriously though, what lore? There's no "lore" about a xenomorph homeworld. That bit of backstory was almost entirely via the Dark Horse Comics bullshit, wasn't it? It basically doesn't count. It's certainly not any backstory Ridley Scott is keeping in mind.

Get out of here.

The Dark Horse Alien vs Predator was way more legit than anything that hit the big screen.

Should have just adapted that instead of that crazy "temple in Antarctica" stuff.

The Dark Horse Alien vs Predator was way more legit than anything that hit the big screen.

Should have just adapted that instead of that crazy "temple in Antarctica" stuff.

I mean, on the one hand, I see your point and I'm inclined to agree with you, but on the other hand, the levels of "legit" we're dealing with here are a bar set just low enough that Jonesy might not be able to slink under it.

Syriel

I mean, on the one hand, I see your point and I'm inclined to agree with you, but on the other hand, the levels of "legit" we're dealing with here are a bar set just low enough that Jonesy might not be able to slink under it.

I'll spot you the second series (Deadliest of the Species went completely off-the-rails).

But the original Aliens vs Predator 4-issue series stands w/the first two films as far as story is concerned. It could have easily translated into a solid script for the big screen.

I could be completely misremembering but doesn't it show shaw moving david's body at the end of prometheus? like she has to use a rope and pulley to move it iirc.

Mohonky

noomi-rapace-shaw-prometheus.png

So am I the only one that thinks Shaw looks like Ariel Rebel? (NSFW to google her if you dont know who that is).

I'd let her face hugger hug my face.

But anyway I'm looking forward to this. I think there is some merit to David creating a Queen out of Shaw, perhaps her giving birth to what would be a Queen, not being able to create life was a hang up of hers.

It was kind of bad ass to see David stand before the city and utter that line.i'm looking forward to this, but I have a feeling Im going to be disappointed because I want to know more about the engineers and why they do what they do.

I thought this was intriguing. I love these little mini scenes that sets up a film. A much more interesting way than showing a trailer that chronologically shows 3/4 of the entire in 2-3 minute trailer.

I disagree with the people who say that she is stupid for reassembling David. If you were stuck on a spaceship, going into cryosleep would be your best chance of survival. What are you going to eat? How are you going to pass time?
I'd just take my chances and hope the psychotic android would not be my end.

Septic360

Banned
So confusing...

Tell me guys- are the bombs that guy is dropping alien bombs? Like those eggs? Or whaa?

And why is David such a cunt? Why merk everyone?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I'm gonna stop you right here before you do something you regret.

Get out of here.

The Aliens miniseries was quite probably the best Alien movie never filmed.

Rymuth

Original Shaw from the prototype script would've never fixed David. She was too smart for that (practically everybody was smarter than their final counterparts)

David killing the Engineers is super funny...He's just a very mean, angry little boy throwing a galactic-wide tantrum.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Original Shaw from the prototype script would've never fixed David. She was too smart for that (practically everybody was smarter than their final counterparts)

David killing the Engineers is super funny...He's just a very mean, angry little boy throwing a galactic-wide tantrum.

Let's glass some random city of a space faring species with god-like technology that may be spread across the galaxy, if not galaxies.

What could ever go wrong.

The Alien films get dumber each time they try to go big.

Watching 20 minutes of a movie isn't going to tell you much bud. And the prologue isn't part of the movie so it's only going to add more to the experience if you watch it.
Of course not. Thanks for the heads up though, just watched the prologue. It was okay, but it certainly didn't do much for me on its own.

EGM1966

Hmm.

I like much of the imagery and the glimpses of the engineer planet are very cool but I just feel that the franchise gets more idiotic and dumber with every instalment.

With Scott directing its going to look amazing (which is a lure all by itself) but the implied narrative I'm picking up seems pretty lame to me and moves further and further away from the view I have in my head from Alien.

I think I'll probably watch it in a curio way but I doubt I'll be taking it very seriously or considering it the real story.

TBH there's already been way too much going on and contact between humans and aliens already to fit with the tone and mood of Alien which was very much inoking fear of the unknown.

Short version it's all feeling like low grade fan fiction given tremendous production values.

kiguel182

From what I understand, all of the standalone clips that marketing has released are marketing only. They will not be in the movie. I'm hearing that applies to this clip as well.

Using the trailers as a basis, it seems pretty unlikely you're going to get any of that.

David flew to their homeland, bombed the fuck out of them, landed, and started playing Mad Scientist. A ship full of colonists landed on the planet, and will end up discovering this fact far too late. That's essentially what this movie is, apparently.

Wait, what? I hope that isn't the twist and I just learned it.

I need to stop coming to these threads, it seems people know everything already...

Edit: okay, I get that that comes from him throwing the eggs at the end.

Wait, what? I hope that isn't the twist and I just learned it.

I need to stop coming to these threads, it seems people know everything already...
That's all information/speculation gleamed from the trailers and other officially released material.

Edit: just saw your edit haha

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hmm.

I like much of the imagery and the glimpses of the engineer planet are very cool but I just feel that the franchise gets more idiotic and dumber with every instalment.

With Scott directing its going to look amazing (which is a lure all by itself) but the implied narrative I'm picking up seems pretty lame to me and moves further and further away from the view I have in my head from Alien.

I think I'll probably watch it in a curio way but I doubt I'll be taking it very seriously or considering it the real story.

TBH there's already been way too much going on and contact between humans and aliens already to fit with the tone and mood of Alien which was very much inoking fear of the unknown.

Short version it's all feeling like low grade fan fiction given tremendous production values.

The simpler the plot, the better. Alien, Aliens and even Alien 3 were all great as far as story and world building went because they kept it small. The creature was somehow related to a space-faring species we didn't know much about and Weyland-Yutani had only caught a glimpse of it and the executives were way over their heads.

Now we've got some Illuminati-like bullshit going on and writers are going big just because they can. Which is not the intelligent thing to do, and it shows. If you are going to go big, be smart. Make it about exploration and first contact, not about far-fetched, huge, multigenerational, multiplanetary conspirancies starring scientists unfit to do a microbial culture.

Septic360

Banned
The simpler the plot, the better. Alien, Aliens and even Alien 3 were all great as far as story and world building went because they kept it small. The creature was somehow related to a space-faring species we didn't know much about and Weyland-Yutani had only caught a glimpse of it and the executives were way over their heads.

Now we've got some Illuminati-like bullshit going on and writers are going big just because they can. Which is not the intelligent thing to do, and it shows. If you are going to go big, be smart. Make it about exploration and first contact, not about far-fetched, huge, multigenerational, multiplanetary conspirancies starring scientist unfit to do a microbial culture.

Yeah man- remember how much of a mind fuck it was seeing the Promethean 'fossil' in the first Aliens movie but the movie then fucks your rectum up so hard with these insane looking Xenomorphs and shit.

Aliens now reminds me of Halo- its trying too hard to be clever but ends up being convoluted and shit

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Spoiler tagged since it may be spoilerish: Somebody knee deep into Alien lore please tell me what happens when a
xenomorphed planet runs out of organic matter. IIRC xenomorphs were incorporated into the ecosystem's temple-like structures, but do they resort to cannibalism?

Guy.brush

It's the same planet.

I wonder how they explain the Covenant colony ship having the engineer home world as a target?
Wouldn't the home planet of a space faring civilization, that also dabbles in very deadly weapons tech have satellites or other big signs of structures/technology you would probably pick up before you land and take off your helmet after determining it is all safe to breathe 1 minutes after touchdown?

Also how stupid are the engineers? Do they not have any safety measures against the bio weapons they cook up across the galaxy? I mean if David would find a nuclear launch silo on Earth he would still not be able to use the warheads in it without some serious reverse engineering, or does the movie want to tell us that our creators reached idiocracy level and have since regressed?

I wonder how they explain the Covenant colony ship having the engineer home world as a target?
Wouldn't the home planet of a space faring civilization, that also dabbles in very deadly weapons tech have satellites or other big signs of structures/technology you would probably pick up before you land and take off your helmet after determining it is all safe to breathe 1 minutes after touchdown?

Also how stupid are the engineers? Do they not have any safety measures against the bio weapons they cook up across the galaxy? I mean if David would find a nuclear launch silo on Earth he would still not be able to use the warheads in it without some serious reverse engineering, or does the movie want to tell us that our creators reached idiocracy level and have since regressed?
Think they're brought out of cryostasis mid-flight by a distress call from Shaw.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is this footage in the movie? I'll watch it if not

Rymuth

Spoiler tagged since it may be spoilerish: Somebody knee deep into Alien lore please tell me what happens when a
xenomorphed planet runs out of organic matter. IIRC xenomorphs were incorporated into the ecosystem's temple-like structures, but do they resort to cannibalism?
I figure the adults simply die off and the off-spring stay within the confines of their eggs for years until a suitable host comes along. Who knows how many centuries that derelict had been waiting before the Nostromo found it (the pilot fused with his seat).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I figure the adults simply die off and the off-spring stay within the confines of their eggs for years until a suitable host comes along. Who knows how many centuries that derelict had been waiting before the Nostromo found it (the pilot fused with his seat).

Still, the eggs were hold is a stasis. They became alive because Kain triggered the secruity system to shut down when he entered the blue "fog".
kane_holoco_lasers_alien_john_hurt.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

By the end of all these new movies it'll turn out to have been 3 weeks between them and Alien.

By the end of all these new movies it'll turn out to have been 3 weeks between them and Alien.

2093 AD - Prometheus
2103 AD - Alien Covenant
2124 AD - Alien

And there's supposed to be two films in between Covenant and Alien.

Johnny M

2093 AD - Prometheus
2103 AD - Alien Covenant
2124 AD - Alien

And there's supposed to be two films in between Covenant and Alien.

Alien takes place in 2122.

Prometheus 2093------>Alien Covenant (unknown date)------>Alien 2122------->Aliens 2179------>Alien 3 a couple weeks later in 2179

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom