• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant - The Prologue footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

2 more films after this one

They confirmed there is going to be 2 more of these released before the film comes out?

Kinda disappointing this story is being released as a web series instead of getting its own movie. Meeting the creators would have been such a good idea for a follow up to Prometheus. Yeah I understand people weren't super happy with the original. But from my understanding it wasnt necessarily meant to be another Alien film, but rather a new story set in the same universe.

What does David say at the end of the prologue?

"Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

- Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1818

Full poem:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—”Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
"

Snaku

Banned
This pisses me off because all it does is tease something we'll never see. I want to see the Engineers in their environment, going about their daily lives, etc.

We go from this to them all dead in a field.

Scott's next film will be expanding on this prologue.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They confirmed there is going to be 2 more of these released before the film comes out?

Kinda disappointing this story is being released as a web series instead of getting its own movie. Meeting the creators would have been such a good idea for a follow up to Prometheus. Yeah I understand people weren't super happy with the original. But from my understanding it wasnt necessarily meant to be another Alien film, but rather a new story set in the same universe.

Four more potentially actually. One following Covenant that ends towards Alien timeline-wise, then one set before Covenant, in between Prometheus and Covenant (yeah), and then two more films.

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/...st-four-more-alien-movies-in-the-works-752049

Basically the framework is there for the Alien expanded universe all set seemingly before the original Alien film.

If David ends up as the derelict pilot from Alien then how to explain the chest burster exit wound? Does he transform himself into an organic being who then gets face hugged?

How else is the xenomorph going to get the "mechanical" piece of Giger's 1979 "bio-mechanical" design? It takes on the properties of the host, right?

The Xenomorph shown in the Covenant trailer looks to be purely "bio".

1979 "ALIEN" xeno:
27720001e2.jpg

2017 "Covenant" xeno:
NEcQAb1r8fqyfd_4_b.jpg

Leynos

If they do go with the ability to utilize inorganics for their physiology/anatomy, it might explain that mystery egg in Alien 3, what with the queen impaling Bishop. Mayhap his lower torso morphed into an egg?

Of course not, it was poor writing.

If they do go with the ability to utilize inorganics for their physiology/anatomy, it might explain that mystery egg in Alien 3, what with the queen impaling Bishop. Mayhap his lower torso morphed into an egg?

Of course not, it was poor writing.
Didn't one of the comics involve a synth xeno? I know one of the Fire And Stone books was supposed to have a female synth get injected with the black goo which caused her to mutate over the story(and then birth synt xenos).

How else is the xenomorph going to get the "mechanical" piece of Giger's 1979 "bio-mechanical" design? It takes on the properties of the host, right?

1979 "ALIEN" xeno:
27720001e2.jpg

2017 "Covenant" xeno:
NEcQAb1r8fqyfd_4_b.jpg

That doesn't make any sense. The chestburster came out of Kane in Alien and was bio-mechanical. I think they just tweaked the design, and obviously without any Giger involvement.

David being the og jockey would be interesting and "could" explain the mechanical in future xenos.

That doesn't make any sense. The chestburster came out of Kane in Alien and was bio-mechanical. I think they just tweaked the design, and obviously without any Giger involvement.

Unless the one that burst from him laid eggs and all of its eggs had the AI DNA within. Then it impregnates Kane, and has AI and Human DNA within now.

Syriel

It's the same planet.

Is it the same as the Engineer planet?

If it is, then why wouldn't they notice all of the cities before they land?

On the other hand, it could still be the same planet as Prometheus. After all, they do find a company dog tag when exploring the derelict Engineer ship on the ground.

Unless David decided to try to kill Shaw, the only reason for a dog tag to be in the ruins of a ship would be on the planet from the last movie.

Snaku

Banned
Why not do that film first, like you know in chronological order rather than prequels within prequels.

Probably because like Prometheus it won't really be an Alien film. I feel like the studio pressured Scott to do a more traditional entry first to win back audiences.

I kinda wanna go through and note how many times "That doesn't make any sense" has been posted as a response to a 100% plausible course of action by Ridley Scott.

1979 "ALIEN" xeno:
27720001e2.jpg

2017 "Covenant" xeno:
NEcQAb1r8fqyfd_4_b.jpg

I feel like a lot of gaffers hoping to get some airtight answers to the Alien "mythos" are going to be very, very disappointed.

EDIT: Beaten by Bobby.

Socivol

Why is the Engineer Sleep Pod thing human sized and not Engineer sized?

I just rewatched it and it is wider and longer than Shaw, but I don't really remember how much bigger the engineers were supposed to be. Another thing I just noticed is she asks him how long it will take and he says impossible to say when we now know it took less than 10 years. Is he just lying to her because I think that something less than 10 years could be easily determined especially when the voyage to LV 223 only took about 5 years and the engineer ship should theoretically be much faster than the Prometheus.

I'm still in a state of ambivalent bliss from The Crossing. I want more of that and their strange trek past LV-426, not more unknowing travelers stumbling upon familiar Xenomorphs. Regardless, I appreciated that short for the sake of some closure if Shaw isn't going to be a player in this saga going forward. Got a few minor production nitpicks probably due to it not being part of the movie (was this directed by Luke Scott like I believe the Last Supper prologue was?) and I thought that Shaw, even understandably a lil disheveled from her situation and whatever passage of time, looked off of her character design (Noomi also didn't wear her signature wig, or something resembling it, in Prometheus' viral marketing short featuring Shaw).

Scott's next film will be expanding on this prologue.
I hope Scott didn't misspeak (oh boy) and that he doesn't backpedal on it (heh), and that Awakening will indeed be a Shaw movie as one would infer. This is what I want interviewers to ask him about most at the release of Covenant.

kiguel182

That's all information/speculation gleamed from the trailers and other officially released material.

Edit: just saw your edit haha

I didn't notice the eggs when I watched it and then saw people talking about leaks and freaked out!

I need to retreat to avoid everything.

Kickz

Liked this trailer with David so much better than the horror theme other trailer with the monster on top of the ship

1979 "ALIEN" xeno:
27720001e2.jpg

2017 "Covenant" xeno:
NEcQAb1r8fqyfd_4_b.jpg

I'm summing it up as generic art design.

They took the Alien Silhouette and filled with any old monster movie texture.

Savitar

Is there anyone with the name E?

We know Walter is a machine in this and with the people but it still defies the name convention, wondering if they're going to try and surprise us with someone starting with E that is a machine too.

Jb

I managed to see the leaked 10 min montage that's out there. Looks decent, albeit very similar to what we've seen in Alien and Prometheus. If it manages to remain this tense the whole way through it should at least be a fun watch for whoever's looking for a competent sci-fi/horror flick.

TM94

Well I enjoyed that prologue footage quite a bit, but got to be honest I've got no idea what the fuck is happening in this franchise now.

jett

D-Member
Saw the 10 minute footage. It's made up of two clips:

Landing on the planet

and

The proto-alien bursting from that one dude's back

Ridley Scott still knows how to shoot the fuck out of a movie. I just don't know about anything else. Seemed like it was suffering from stupid character syndrome just like Prometheus.

wolgoen

Saw the 10 minute footage. It's made up of two clips:

Landing on the planet

and

The proto-alien bursting from that one dude's back

Ridley Scott still knows how to shoot the fuck out of a movie. I just don't know about anything else. Seemed like it was suffering from stupid character syndrome just like Prometheus.

Agreed.

How did the proto alien kill that girl!?!, she had a knife and the thing was tiny.

Liked this trailer with David so much better than the horror theme other trailer with the monster on top of the ship

That moment you reference just looks like straight up action (out of context), not any type of horror I'd appreciate. I might have a bad read on it, but I can't fathom that that's supposed to be the big bad and its moment of ultimate terror, it's just some adjunct, unobscured xenoflex that happens to be around the climax to indulge the nostalgic fans who want it back. Right?

But I get what you mean and I agree with your sentiment.

rou021

I just watched the potatocam footage as well. I still don't know how the story will turn out, but the action/horror sequences look top notch. I was actually pretty impressed. I hope the narrative is just as good.

Agreed.

How did the proto alien kill that girl!?!, she had a knife and the thing was tiny.
Well it is an alien. The couple of gun shots barely slowed it down. Also, people have been killed by cassowaries and even a beaver in real life. It's just got to go for an artery.

Why would he be going to a different planet if he just bombed the fuck out of this one with an agent that breaks everything down to its individual DNA strands?

He's going to land. And plant some wheat.

Also, apparently, this will not be in the movie. Or rather, this scene won't. A version of it might be, or the information from this scene will be relayed somehow, but the scene itself isn't in the film, I guess.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there are probably multiple davids

that's the one thing I don't want to happen :(
she should just sleep and be the main character again in the next movie

as one of the few people who liked prometheus, I enjoyed this prologue a lot

This x100 for me. I really wanted her story to continue and am upset she's not the focus or if they just killed her off.

My apologies! I had misread your question. I was meaning 2 more films after Covenant, not previews before Covenant.

I do wonder if Ridley's going to attempt solidifying how Queens work in these stories with one of these movies. Queens were Cameron's attempt at somewhat explaining the existence of these things (to a point) but now that Ridley's entire mission with these movies is to make understandable the origin of fanged lovecraftian penisbeasts from the depths of space, and he's already established these things are 100% bioweapons as created by an android experimenting with a godlike race's lab equipment - how do you fit the Queen in there?

We have eggs and facehuggers. Is he going to actually address how those two things exist in this film in a way that establishes the Queen pre-dates them, and laid that egg?

I just realized...I thought the point was engineers become the Xenomorphs, like the little one that came out at the end of Prometheus. So I'm thinking its happened before, that the engineers have interacted with the goo and created the eggs by maybe experimenting with their own kind. Humans turn to monsters (like the one she gave birth to and engineers become the Xenomorphs we're so familiar with. Then maybe one of the engineers becomes the queen and lays eggs to spread? I guess? But the Xeno that came out of the Promethean did look slightly different...

I just realized...I thought the point was engineers become the Xenomorphs, like the little one that came out at the end of Prometheus. So I'm thinking its happened before, that the engineers have interacted with the goo and created the eggs by maybe experimenting with their own kind. Humans turn to monsters (like the one she gave birth to and engineers become the Xenomorphs we're so familiar with. Then maybe one of the engineers becomes the queen and lays eggs to spread? I guess? But the Xeno that came out of the Promethean did look slightly different...

The Xeno at the end of Prometheus looked the way it did because it was birthed... oh no... by black goo infected semen mixing with a human womans egg and reproductive system birthing a squiddy thing that laid eggs inside of an engineer.

It is a few steps away from a typical facehugger.

Plus, the speculation that says David will figure out how to make Shaw an Alien Queen to perversely satisfy her lifelong need to have children that she'd otherwise never have doesn't take into account that particular thematic perversion already happened in Prometheus with the squid.

David basically already gave her the worst baby she never wanted. Doing it again would be kinda repetitive.

The Xeno at the end of Prometheus looked the way it did because it was birthed... oh no... by black goo infected semen mixing with a human womans egg and reproductive system birthing a squiddy thing that laid eggs inside of an engineer.

It is a few steps away from a typical facehugger.

So Xenomorphs come from us essentially? In the trailer, they see eggs. I'm betting David made those eggs with Shaw plus black goo. Then there you go, tons of people just giving birth to Xenos thanks to Shaw. I think the eggs in Prometheus came from DNA connected to us as well since Prometheans had definitely encountered Xenos before.

So Prometheans came to our planet, drank the goo which, mixed with water and other elements in the ocean, created us. Then, they used our DNA to create these weapons but it backfired obviously. Now, David is just playing god and will unleash even more Xenos as well as (probably) create the queen.

So Xenomorphs come from us essentially? In the trailer, they see eggs. I'm betting David made those eggs with Shaw plus black goo. Then there you go, tons of people just giving birth to Xenos thanks to Shaw. I think the eggs in Prometheus came from DNA connected to us as well since Prometheans had definitely encountered Xenos before.

So Prometheans came to our planet, drank the goo which, mixed with water and other elements in the ocean, created us. Then, they used our DNA to create these weapons but it backfired obviously. Now, David is just playing god and will unleash even more Xenos as well as (probably) create the queen.

Well, since we're supossed to be basically mini-engineers you can say Xenomorphs come from humans one way or the other.

What we know is that the Engineers (supossedly) manufactured this "Chemical A0-3959X.91 – 15" which is not just a lethal pathogen but a mutagen or accelerant, as they call it in the (non-canon) comics. Seems like this thing continually strives to create Xenomorph-like lifeforms by mutating its hosts.

We know the Engineers knew of the Deacon and held it in a prominent place in their murals (they are shown making other lifeforms submit but the Deacon has a central place instead, seemingly they feel respect/admiration for it which is a recurrent theme of the series 'perfect organism' etc.). That means that all the convoluted stuff that happened in Prometheus for the Deacon to be born can't be a one-time-only ocurrence, we also know there were dead Engineers with their chests busted in the Juggernaut so we should assume the black goo must somehow create facehuggers or something similar over time in order to give birth to Xenos, maybe through egg-morphing or some other similar method.

David seems to have been tampering with this capability of the pathogen to produce Xeno-like lifeforms and
has come up with a way to produce the Xeno in Covenant which according to interviews is a middle-step between the Deacon/Neomorph and the "Big Chap" we see in Alien.

How the Queen, the fossilized engineer and the eggs in the derelict in LV-426 fit in all this is still unknown and possibly the partial focus of the next two movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom