• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PS4/XB1 (fall 2017)

Looking forward to this next month.

Anyone want to drop any tips for a complete beginner to the game?

Hi.

I would pick the strider class first (but eventually you will want to play with all of them since each class buffs your favorite one :D )

Don't stress about trying to complete all the side quest ( you will eventually get to do them all)

Have fun, you can pretty much fix any screw ups you make (you can even re-edit your character later on)

Wonder about as much as you like- but alteast wait until you reach gran soren to do so
Gran soren is the biggest city in Dragons Dogma.

lonerism

I can't believe this game is coming out in 2 weeks

It's my first time playing it, I'm beyond excited with all the positive response from here

Is Magick Archer the most fun class?

Mossybrew

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the game has an enjoyable level of complexity. Been too long since my last proper ARPG.

Alej

Banned
Genuine question. I had a character on PS3, pretty HL, and a good and very often hired pawn. I plan to acquire the PS4 version down the line.

What will happen to them? Is there data server side linked to me?

BigEmil

Make your pawn adorable so everyone hires them and you get lots of freebies :p
Wait is this true lol
1. Look up what different inclinations mean when it comes to making your Pawn (A.I. Partner). People ignore this all the time and end up with useless pawns because they don't understand what you choose effects their behavior during battle.

2. Pay attention to your weight, it's really easy to get over encumbered and then you move like a snail until you drop heavy, often valuable materials. To avoid, make sure your depositing regularly into storage at your local inn or nearest camp.

3. Stamina is another meter you should be watching constantly, as even running will drain it.

4. Status ailments are very powerful in this game, certain statuses like petrification will kill you and a whole team of pawns incredibly fast if you don't have the proper medicine to fix it.

5. Time has an effect on the world around you, its gets pitch black outside at night and new monsters appear, NPC's live lives and will be in different locations at different times of the day, completing mainline quests can lock you out of side quests due to people no longer being available/alive etc.

6. Explore. There are several areas in the game you flat out won't see if you only follow the mainline quests.

7. Magick Archer is OP :)
Noo i was planning to start with Magic Archer don't wanna be OP tho shame gonna start with a different class then

Lux R7

Is there a way to give this guy the golden icon after giving him the bronze one?

Am I missing much by screwing that quest up?, I stopped playing because of this fckup D:

Yeah but it's not even a big deal, you get better armors and weapons after that or in Bitterblack Isle.

Staf

It's been a long time since i've played this magnificent game. I remember playing a sorcerer and loving it. No game have made magic feel so damn powerful! Thinking of making a melee guy/gal this time around. The warrior class was rubbish right?

Are they doing anything to help get pawns hired by other players?

I had an ace one on PS3 but it only ever got hired by 'trading' hires with people on forums.

The resource you got from your pawn being hired was so hard to get I ended up just editing my save file to give me more than I ever needed. But that won't be an option on PS4.

thinking of OT titles for fun, even though there's some good ones already:

Dragon's Dogma |OT| All ports lead to Gran Soren
Dragon's Dogma |OT| This looks interesting...
Dragon's Dogma |OT| What a large fee!
Dragon's Dogma |OT| Shall we see where this port takes us Master?
Dragon's Dogma |OT| A mite old for children's games aren't you, Master?

:p

edit:
Wait is this true lol
Pretty much. I made a super cute lil caster with handy spells and she got hired lots. Most people don't give gifts when they end service with your pawn and even among the few that do will probably give you totally random stuff like carrots but every now and then you get something genuinely nice :3 Plus, while I barely remember much of it, as Stallion Dan mentions there was an actual resource gained from people hiring your pawn.

blackflag

Gonna buy this for the 3rd time. Loved the combat and world, hated how long it took to travel everywhere.

Edit: I think they may have fixed the travel time but I'm not sure as I still did a lot of walking.

Zeta Oni

Wait is this true lol

Noo i was planning to start with Magic Archer don't wanna be OP tho shame gonna start with a different class then

It's all good, you don't get start off as that vocation so you will have some time to experiment with the starters (Fighter, Mage, Strider) before committing.

Also, feel free to play the normal game with any vocation really, they are all viable and easily switched.

It's when you get to Bitter Black Isle, the DLC area, that I feel certain classes have serious advantages since a lot of the enemies hit hard, fast, and often with magic.

|OT| 60fps is weak to fire.

pfz2HVw.gif

Holy cannon (the ball-of-light ability described above) is the only ranged ability of the Mystic Knight, as far as I remember. For a primarily melee class with magical ranged support, I suggest Magick Archer. Melee is gonna be daggers (warning, you can't block, but you can dodge roll at least), with some truly strong melee options too, and the magick bow abilities are among the most fun and spectacular in the game. It might seem a bit weak or underwhelming early on, but later, like in hardest area (the DLC expansion area), Magick Archer is the best class by far.

For melee/ranged without magic, strider and ranger are great too.

Thanks! I'll definitely narrow it down to these three then. I'm a Soulsborne and Witcher 3 death march vet so I'm no stranger to rolling. Magick Archer is looking like a winner :)

Espada

Would you guys suggest a tanky/melee build pawn to compliment a magick archer since I wouldn't be able to block?

That sounds like a good idea. I made sure to never run both of us as mages, that's a recipe to get wrecked hard. At least before you become absurdly OP compared to nearly everything else.

That sounds like a good idea. I made sure to never run both of us as mages, that's a recipe to get wrecked hard. At least before you become absurdly OP compared to nearly everything else.

So long as I can still jump on enemies' backs and go for some badass kills then I think that's gonna be my strat. Some gifs and videos I've seen have me seriously pumped for this game.

Espada

So long as I can still jump on enemies' backs and go for some badass kills then I think that's gonna be my strat. Some gifs and videos I've seen have me seriously pumped for this game.

One of my fondest memories of DD:DA is being a sorceror, encountering a Golem (immune to magic), and just unequipping my staff and climbing him to tear off the magic discs animating him. Because that's how mages in Gransys roll.

Tearing into a giant's face never gets old, especially when you can jump off and come spinning down on them with two daggers. I'm playing Skyrim for the first time at the moment and while the game is good, the combat has nothing on Dragon's Dogma.

One of my fondest memories of DD:DA is being a sorceror, encountering a Golem (immune to magic), and just unequipping my staff and climbing him to tear off the magic discs animating him. Because that's how mages in Gransys roll.

Tearing into a giant's face never gets old, especially when you can jump off and come spinning down on them with two daggers. I'm playing Skyrim for the first time at the moment and while the game is good, the combat has nothing on Dragon's Dogma.

That sounds seriously epic. Curious if I should roll a sorcerer instead. I just like having options. That said, I've always played the Souls games board and sword, however, I've had an itch to get some magic in lately.

Espada

That sounds seriously epic. Curious if I should roll a sorcerer instead. I just like having options. That said, I've always played the Souls games board and sword, however, I've had an itch to get some magic in lately.

You will eventually play as all the vocations due to the fact that they're easy to unlock and each of them has nice passives to unlock for general use. I suggest you go with Fighter or Strider first because they have some VERY good passives (like greatly improving your carrying capacity). But you can pick Mage the moment the option to pick a vocation comes up.

Exentryk

Is the Mystic Knight any fun to play? I love magic swordsmen but if its just mages with a shield I dont think thatd be very interesting.

Yeah, I've always liked the battle mage archetype. I.e., I like having primarily melee options with a few ranged attacks as well, preferably magic just because it's fun. Curious if this class would be a good fit for me.

I played the PC version as Mystic Knight. It's a very powerful class, though it is harder to learn and build.

An examples of what it can do is below:

- Perfect blocking alone can kill off enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilug1wkALxk

There are also other videos of beating the optional boss extremely fast, and beating the final boss without taking damage, but it's best to not spoil that for now.

Raven77

Are there any really good play throughs on YouTube that vine highly recommended? I need something to put on in the background while working on my small business.

You will eventually play as all the vocations due to the fact that they're easy to unlock and each of them has nice passives to unlock for general use. I suggest you go with Fighter or Strider first because they have some VERY good passives (like greatly improving your carrying capacity). But you can pick Mage the moment the option to pick a vocation comes up.

So we have the option to switch?! Which unlock the best passives? Increasing carry capacity is a must for me. I'm bad about hoarding in games like this. I've gotta say though, I'm not sure I've played anything quite like this before. 😬

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
|OT| 60fps is weak to fire.
Damn

So we have the option to switch?! Which unlock the best passives? Increasing carry capacity is a must for me. I'm bad about hoarding in games like this. I've gotta say though, I'm not sure I've played anything quite like this before. 😬
Strider has the Leg Strength augment, which makes you one "weight class" lighter, and Fighter has the Sinew augment, which augments your carry capacity. Also pawns can carry loot too.

Strider has the Leg Strength augment, which makes you one "weight class" lighter, and Fighter has the Sinew augment, which augments your carry capacity. Also pawns can carry loot too.

Thanks. So can I unlock those perks fairly early and then move in to magick archer, e.g.? I don't know what to expect, really. Do I unlock skills based on what I do a la Skyrim, or should I just maybe not worry so much and go into it blind? Either way, I'm really pumped for this game. It was my primary BC request on XB1, trailing only behind RDR.

I remember my Pawn was like in the top 25 or so of used Pawns in the original on PS3 for atleast a month, and was in the top 100-200 until I stopped playing like two or three months later.

I made her an attractive loli who was a Healer and kept giving her clothes that looked good as opposed to what was statistically best.

I remember my Pawn was like in the top 25 or so of used Pawns in the original on PS3 for atleast a month, and was in the top 100-200 until I stopped playing like two or three months later.

I made her an attractive loli who was a Healer and kept giving her clothes that looked good as opposed to what was statistically best.

That's not really all that far off what I did to be honest, though I tried to balance fashion and practicality :3

blackjon24

I like this game but why bother releasing this again at 30fps. Are you trying to tell me that capcom couldn't get this to run at 60fps on ps4 when the ps4 version of dragon's dogma online is 60fps?

yes capcom we in the west know that game exists and I'm still waiting lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks. So can I unlock those perks fairly early and then move in to magick archer, e.g.? I don't know what to expect, really. Do I unlock skills based on what I do a la Skyrim, or should I just maybe not worry so much and go into it blind? Either way, I'm really pumped for this game. It was my primary BC request on XB1, trailing only behind RDR.
Yeah, that's right, I don't think these augments take that long too unlock fortunately. And it's basically just discipline points you accumulate by playing long enough as that vocation, I think those points are based on regular XP, so just do quests, kill mobs, whatever.

I liked hiring pawns like this....
and then dismissing them with 1-star or chucking them into water

Sorry but the scantily glad loli pawns are insufferable. I'm joking, because I actually never hire them ever, it's a guaranteed pass for me no matter the stats. I try to hire pawns that have creativity to them. Also, male ones. Male pawns FTW

I like this game but why bother releasing this again at 30fps. Are you trying to tell me that capcom couldn't get this to run at 60fps on ps4 when the ps4 version of dragon's dogma online is 60fps?

yes capcom we in the west know that game exists and I'm still waiting lol

Well, this is ultimately just a quick and dirty port, and the original game is heavily CPU-bound, which I doubt they'll be putting much into fixing, whereas DDO would have been optimized around the PS4 from the start.

The PS4 and Xbone's CPUs are... Pretty weak, honestly.

Someone find me that post depicting: "Well, not enough of a frame-boost from lowering the resolution, so we'll just set the game to render nothing. A 5FPS boost! Progress!"

Liljagare

Hi.

Don't stress about trying to complete all the side quest ( you will eventually get to do them all)

Actually, don't advance the main story too qiuckly, or you'll loose some sidequests, esp. at the beginning when you get to the city the first time. There are many sidequests between the start and there you can loose.

If I check my stats on the PS3 version, is there any way I can use a build planner or something to reverse engineer how I leveled up my characters?
I know my Arisen went Mage>Sorcerer>Warrior>Fighter>Mystic Knight, and my Pawn went Mage>Sorcerer, but I can't remember what levels exactly I leveled up at.

Also, is there a way I can view the exact customisation sliders of both of them?

I'd love to get this game, but I'd sooner just recreate my original characters as accurately as possible and get up to speed with where I was up to (NG+ and up to the final section of
the first BBI Run
), than make new characters.

Snoopycat

Banned
Did they ever tone down the constant yapping from the npcs? I enjoyed the game but hearing the same lines of dialogue constantly repeated really got on my nerves.

Top Bottom